Chapter 12 - Winging It

Mistress of My Heart

Dinner was the worst idea Daehyun has ever proposed and he questioned his own sanity. As he drove to the restaurant, he wondered what they could possibly talk about. He glanced over at her and saw Jinli looking out the window. She had her chin on her hand and looked deep in thought as the scenery flew past them.

            He had a restaurant in mind, something small that would not require them to put up an unnecessary show and he made it a goal to at least leave with knowing one new thing about his wife. It was pathetic that their relationship had to be based off of this but he had no choice. Daehyun turned into the parking lot and opened the door for her.

            She looked at the restaurant. “Definitely different,” she commented and he decided to take it as a comment of friendliness, a light jab that was normal among couples.

            “Well, glad you didn’t decide to wear a small black dress then.” He knew from her slightly taken aback reaction that she hadn’t expected him to go along with the joke. In a sincere attempt to get closer to her, he held out his elbow for her to take. “Even though it’s just a pizza shop, let’s not forget how to be classy.”

            Jinli laughed and slipped her arm through his elbow. “Then let’s go. Make sure to hold your pizza with two fingers and the pinky sticking out.”

            Daehyun cracked a smile at that. She could have a sense of humor. He glanced at her and admired her profile for a brief second before pulling back. He could only progress so far at a time. She turned to look at him and he gave her a tentative smile back.

            “Do you like mushroom?” she asked him when they were looking to order.

            He made a small face. “Do you think I’m a rabbit? I’m alright, but I definitely prefer Hawaiian.”

            It was her turn to grimace. “I don’t know how good pineapple sounds on a pizza.”

            He raised his eyebrows. “Well then, let me show you.”

            When their order came, he picked out a slice for her and he acted before his courage was up. Daehyun held the slice out in front of her. “Close your eyes and say ah. It’s the best way to savor food.”

            She did as he instructed and took a bite. He watched her face change from skeptical to an approving grin. “Not bad,” she admitted.

            He shot her a smug smirk. “I’m a food connoisseur. I’m always right.”

            She lifted her shoulder in a slight shrug. “Well I guess I’ll have a long time to figure that out.”

            It was a subtle reminder that they were married and his face tightened. He felt the constraints around him again but forced himself to not overthink. He wanted to make this work. But he still wanted to proceed with caution.  

            Jinli peeled a mushroom off her slice and held it in front of him. “Dae, say ah. Close your eyes and enjoy the rabbit food.”

            His heart thudded a little at the commonplace nickname. But it has been too long since someone has called him that. He closed his eyes and felt her fingers brush his lips slightly as she pushed the mushroom into his mouth. He jutted his front teeth out and pretended to chew like a rabbit. She giggled.

            “Since when were you such a dork?”

            “Just stick with me. You’ll figure out a lot of things about me soon enough.”

            She cast her eyes down and finally smiled at him; this time letting it reach to her eyes. “I look forward to that.”

            They didn’t go to the car immediately. He insisted on walking with her. “So, what do you like?” He had made the large step of holding her hand.

            “Like?”

            This was awkward. “Like, favorite color and all that.”

            “Ah.” She was quiet for a moment. “I guess I like the combination of blue, purple, silver. I am not that big a fan of pork, and I like guys who’re dorky.”

            Daehyun quickly looked at her before looking away again. “Well, tough luck. You ended up with a smooth man.”

            She snorted and tightened her fingers around his unconsciously. “Please. I saw you trip when you were coming out of the showers this morning.”

            He blushed and shook their hands. “That was for your entertainment only.”

            Jinli gave him a small eye roll. “Mr. Jung Daehyun, I appreciate your effort. But you didn’t even know I was looking.”

            He scoffed. “Please. Who wouldn’t look at this body?”

            He noticed her cheeks turned pink and stopped. He too felt like he had toed the line. It only brought back the embarrassing moments of their honeymoon and he wanted to drop her hand. But Daehyun knew that if he did, it would only make the moment more pronounced.

            Jinli shook it off well. She checked him out, letting her eyes drop down his body in an exaggerated manner. Then she scrunched her face and shook her head. “Nope. Sorry. I like them slightly more muscular.”

            He dropped on the ground and started doing pushups. “Seven, eight, nine, ten,” he grunted and jumped up, brushing himself off. “More impressive now?”

            She didn’t know what came over her but she skipped to him, tiptoed and pecked him on the lips. “Swooning.”

            His lips felt hot where hers had tapped them and he stared at her in shock. Jinli blinked and her face cringed. “Ah, s-sorry.” She sounded meek and Daehyun let himself go for a little while.

            He caught her wrist and pulled her towards him. He bent his head and kissed her, a proper kiss; their first proper kiss. He felt her hesitation and slid his tongue gently over , waiting for them to open. Her lips parted and he kissed her deeper before pulling away.

            “Nothing to apologize about.”

 

Ooh lala, what did I do? ;)