Chapter 25 - One Moment

Mistress of My Heart

            Like she always did, his mother paid him a visit right before he left. He had both suitcases in the hallway when the elder woman walked in. “Do you want me to stay here and take care of Jinli?” she asked anxiously.

            Daehyun glanced over his shoulder where Jinli was, to his irritation, checking his supply list to make sure he had everything. “I think she’ll be okay. The maids will make sure she eats and sleeps.”

            His mother bit her lip and glared at him. “How long are you staying?”

            “I told you, mother, it’s going to be definitely at least one week.”

            “Alright, but call back often, will you?”

            Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Jinli take her by the arm. “There’s no need to burden him with an extra obligation. Just go safely and come back safely, having succeeded,” she told him.

            His mother sighed heavily and he saw her glaring at him from the corner of his eye. Daehyun shifted uncomfortably and opened the door. The taxi was there. “I’ll be leaving. Take care of yourself, Mom.” He kissed his mom on the cheek but the elderly woman held onto his arm.

            “Ahem,” she pursed her lips.

            Jinli voluntarily came forward and slid her arms around him for a quick second. “Take care.”

            It was a relief that his mother didn’t push and Daehyun got into the taxi, determined to be one hundred percent professional on the business trip.

            The moment the door closed, Daehyun’s mother turned to Jinli and grasped her hand. “I apologize for my son’s rude behavior. How are you? Has he been treating you well?”
            “Yes. We’ve been both doing okay. No need to worry.”

            She gave her a side glance. “Of course I worry. If your mother knew I allowed my son to treat you like this, I think she’d kill me again after I see her in Heaven.”

            Jinli giggled and led her mother-in-law to the kitchen. “Please, sit and enjoy brunch before you go.” His mother sat down and stared at her.

            “Tell me the truth. How has Daehyun been treating you?”

            Jinli grabbed a cup to fill the coffee to avoid answering. “We’re honestly doing fine. He’s just a little stressed about work. And we’re both not very touchy people so it’s okay, really.”

            The older woman pursed her lips. “I do expect grandchildren though.”

            “Ah, well that takes time. And we’re both starting on our careers. So why don’t we take some time first?”

            Her mother-in-law frowned. “You young people and your need to establish a career. Children are always precious when younger. But I won’t give you any pressure. I just want to know that Daehyun is treating you well.”

            Jinli dipped her nod. “Yes, we are fine.”

            And it was all Jinli could say because anything else would be an outright lie.

***

            Daehyun met up with Hyosung and the assistant, Yook Sungjae, at the airport. He nodded at the two of them. “I hope you all have your tickets. We’ll be staying at the London Hotel. Tonight, we’ll be treated to a dinner by the CEO of Singtertainment. Hopefully tomorrow, we will have our plans and contracts ready.” He stood next to Sungjae, hoping that Hyosung would know to be professional.          

            Both bowed their heads. “Yes, Mr. Jung.”

            And then Daehyun proceeded to put all that was going in his head into the dark container of dangerous thoughts that should not be accessed. Luckily for him, Hyosung kept her distance for the rest of the night.

            After the dinner and after he settled in, he called his mother and lied that he had called Jinli before realizing that maybe he should call her. Daehyun sighed and texted her instead. He knew there would be a time zone gap and by then she would most definitely be sleeping.

            He received a surprise when she responded right after, despite it being five in the morning there. Good luck, Dae. Hwaiting! He almost smiled before he tossed his phone on his pillow. As he took a shower, he thought about how quickly she had responded and wanted to ask her why she wasn’t sleeping.

            Daehyun grabbed a towel to dry his hair and picked up his phone. His thumb hovered over the keyboard as he tried to put his question into words. Something so simple was being so difficult, he sighed.

            As he started to type, there was a knock on his door. “Coming.”

            It was Hyosung. She looked at him and he cleared his throat. “Why aren’t you sleeping? We need to meet the CEO tomorrow early. And don’t forget you have to present your powerpoint for the other company.”

            She looked down at the floor. “You’re right. Good night. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            He closed the door and sat back down on his bed. Daehyun glanced at his phone, at the unwritten text that only had two words. He cleared it and placed his phone on his dresser. He thought of Hyosung’s downturned mouth and the look in her eyes and closed his own, determined to put both women out of his mind.