Chapter 6 - Initiate

Mistress of My Heart

            The wind blew the trees gently in the breeze and Daehyun took in a deep breath. His hands gripped the suitcases tightly and he watched the woman before him wander along down the sandy path. From a distance, she looked small, and vulnerable. He wanted to clear his mind, but now, it seems like he was going to be carrying even more baggage.

            Jinli came to a sudden stop, and he knew she forgot how angry she was when she turned to him in an almost childlike amazement. “It’s so pretty here.” She closed her eyes and spread her arms, letting the wind blow her hair behind her. Daehyun caught a whiff of the jasmine and lemon scent she always seemed to emit.

            “Yeah. It’s so well-known for a reason,” he replied. But to soften his words he added, “Look at the flowers growing off to the side. Flowers on a beach. Incredible, huh?” She nodded and her face relaxed. He watched her with mild interest and wondered how anyone could change moods so quickly.

            She kept walking and he called out, “Where do you think you’re going? The villa is down this path.” He jerked his head to indicate a paved route and she frowned in disappointment. “We can explore later. We’ll be here for a week anyway.”

            Jinli nodded and followed him. They were greeted, and this he knew to be his mother’s doing, by more attendants. “Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Jung,” they bowed respectfully. Daehyun watched her from the corner of his eye. She jumped a little, unused to the new name. He repressed a sigh. Every time he wanted to change his opinion of her, she would do something to make him judge her all over again.

            Youngjae’s words came back to him and he stared at the back of her head. He had told him, “Get to know her. She’s not as much of an airhead as you think she is. Believe me. She’s the top of her field.” And Daehyun knew that. His mother had long crowed about Jinli’s achievements but the woman on paper seemed nothing like the woman in front of him. Jinli, from what he saw of her, was an emotional bundle that he did not feel like deciphering.

            He dismissed the assistants as kindly as he could and firmly pressed a hand into the small of her back, leading her away. He knew from the tittering he heard from them that they probably thought he was just an eager groom, ready to initiate his wedding night.

            Daehyun let out a huff of annoyance when the suitcase caught on her long dress and he stared at her as she tugged the fabric from under the wheels. “Why the heck are you wearing such a long dress if you’re not tall enough for it?”

            Jinli didn’t respond and he guessed that she was currently throwing one of her tantrums. Perfect. This was what he needed, an angry bride. “Let’s go.” He yanked the suitcase from her and made for the elevator. He looked over at her a couple of times but she still didn’t speak. This only caused an irate rage to spread over him. But he knew better. He had to control himself.

            They walked into the room silently and his nose wrinkled. Roses were spread everywhere and magnolias bloomed in sparkling vases. This was the dream honeymoon, for everyone except him. Jinli hesitated now but he saw her steel herself and move on. He stepped out onto the balcony and immediately the familiar salty air calmed his nerves. He took in a few deep breaths, trying to stall as much time as he could.

 He stared out at the waves and turned his friends’ advices in his head. They all urged him to give her a chance but they didn’t understand why he wouldn’t. Daehyun rolled his neck, hearing the sharp cracks as he rotated. He checked his watch. He had managed to waste thirty minutes. That wasn’t so bad. He turned to walk into the room.

            Jinli had packed everything else away. She knew Daehyun was as reluctant as she was, but she also had to prepare. He couldn’t be stupid enough to reject her. He knew what his parents would expect. She rolled her shoulders back and took in a deep breath. It wasn’t difficult. All she had to do was act like a lady.

            She took out the sheer peach colored number Lili had told her specifically to wear and tied the string underneath her bust. She ran a brush through her hair and spritzed perfume. Jinli reached for the box Mrs. Jung had given her and hung the apple blossom necklace around her neck. Her heart was pounding, unsure of what she should be doing, and if she was doing things right. She made her way to the bed and climbed under the covers. Her heartbeat was all she heard until Daehyun walked in.

            He made his way into the showers and she waited for another excruciating twenty minutes. When he came out, she saw that he only had on boxers. He slipped on shorts and she bit her lip. She squeezed her eyes shut and felt the bed shift. Nothing happened. Jinli suppressed her sigh. If Daehyun heard, he would definitely want nothing to do with her.

            She turned to him and saw that his back was turned to her. His shoulders were broad and she realized how attractive the man she married was. Too bad the beauty was only on the outside. Her ideal marriage would not have turned out to be like this. She would not be the one offering herself, asking for this. Jinli took a deep breath and ran a hand down his back, her fingers gently his skin.

            It happened too quickly for her to comprehend. He took hold of her wrist and wrenched her arm upwards. Somehow he went from facing away from her to pinning her against the bed. Jinli let out a terrified squeak as Daehyun glared at her. “What do you think you’re doing?”

            She didn’t know what to say. His eyes dropped down to below her chin and she wanted to cover herself. His eyes lingered on the necklace resting on her s and his jaw tightened. She closed her eyes and turned her head away. She was sure he could hear her heart pounding. Then he exhaled. “Tch, silly girl. Didn’t you ever get the memo that it was the man who initiated?” Jinli’s cheeks flamed and he dropped her arm. She couldn’t decide whether he was mocking her or not.

            His weight was lifted from her and she dared to open her eyes to see him pulling the blanket over his shoulders. “Go to sleep. You don’t want to be sleep deprived when we go scuba diving tomorrow.”

            Jinli’s mouth dropped. Was he even a man? She was still embarrassed from having to tap him in the first place. She curled her lip in annoyance and turned over, dragging the blanket with her. He could learn to wear a shirt to bed.

            Daehyun didn’t know whether to be amused or annoyed at the fact that the timid girl he had married had just tried to initiate . He waited until he heard her breathing slow before craning his neck to stare at her. She had a nice body, he decided. But then he placed his head on the pillow. Women always were devious. He didn’t want her anyway.