Chapter 47 - We Are Friends After All

Mistress of My Heart

            Daehyun knew something was off when he looked over and saw Jinli still sleeping. He saw the pile of papers next to her and vaguely remembered the excuse she had tossed at him the night before. “I have a big meeting.”

            “Hey,” he tapped her arm. “Get up. You’re going to be late.”

            She didn’t move. He reached over and pulled her blanket off. “Rise and shine, sleepyhead.” Jinli coughed and turned over but was still asleep. He glanced at the clock and felt a flash of irritation . Why was he here trying to wake her up? He had to get ready himself. He shook her heavily. “Jinli, you need to wake up.”

            It took a while and when she finally opened her eyes, he saw that they were crusted and swollen. She struggled to sit up and let out a hacking cough. “What time is it?” Daehyun winced. Her voice was scratchy and hoarse. She was breathing heavily through .

            Daehyun got up and walked to the bathroom. “Clean up and call in sick. You’d be late to your meeting anyway. And I don’t think you can exactly go in this condition.”

            He heard her gasp then curse as she finally looked at the time. “I have to go.” He rolled his eyes at her obstinacy. Given her condition, it would be a miracle if she could even get out of the house. He bent his head to the sink and splashed water on his face, cleaning the toothpaste and remnants of sleep from his eyes.

            Daehyun opened the bathroom door. “You can go-” but his sentence was cut off when he found her crumpled by the bedside. “Jinli!” He knelt down and felt her face. Her skin burned under his cool touch. He grabbed her phone and threw it back down. Of course he didn’t know her passcode.

            He called Yongguk instead. “Hyung, Jinli fainted. I think she’s really sick.”

            “Take her to the hospital. Don’t worry about the company, Daehyun. I have it under control. Do the right thing this time.” The slight rebuke was enough. Daehyun hung up and decided an ambulance was going to take too long, so he picked her up and brought Jinli to his car.

            As he drove, her phone lit up with a call. He suppressed his annoyance when he saw the caller ID. “Taewoon, this is her husband.”

            There was a pause. Then came the cool reply, “I see. Is Jinli coming in?”

            Daehyun made a sharp turn into the hospital parking lot. “She’s sick. We’re at the hospital. She won’t make it to the meeting.”

            “Is she alright?” Daehyun heard the sudden worry and he dropped the call. The doctor had already been contacted and a stretcher was already prepared. He stepped aside as the aides placed Jinli on and carried her away. Her phone buzzed again in his hand it was with irritation that he picked up. “Yes?”

            “I’ve gotten things under control. I will be stepping in for her in the presentation. Tell her Soyun will pick up the government building project until she is back. Take care of her please.”

            “I’d like to think that I’m her husband.” Daehyun tried to keep his voice calm. It wouldn’t do to let this guy know just how much he was able to annoy Daehyun with his presence.

            “Forgive me,” Taewoon answered curtly. “I’m just concerned about a dear friend.”

            “I will inform Jinli one she is available. Take care of the presentation. Good day.”

            By the time Daehyun found her room, the doctor had already hooked her to an IV. “Mr. Jung, she is just exhausted and has pneumonia. She must have caught a bad cold which turned into an infection. We have the infection under control and she should naturally wake up in a few hours. I will prescribe the medication.”

            Daehyun thanked him and sank down into a chair. He checked his phone and saw three missed calls from Hyosung. It has been nearly three weeks since she has contacted him. He glanced over at Jinli and stood facing the wall. She picked up at the first ring.

            “Daehyun! Where are you?” She sounded frantic, and nervous, as if unsure he would pick up.

            “I’m busy. I’m sorry. I’ll be out the rest of the day. Is there anything important?”

            “Oh.” There was a quiet breath. Hyosung was trying to draw in courage. “I missed you.”

            Those three words slid their way into his heart and he couldn’t help but smile a little. “I’ll come see you sometime tomorrow if you like. It’ll be Saturday. We should have more time.” He smiled as she made a kissing noise. “I love you, Noona.” He put his phone down and turned around. Jinli’s face was twisted towards him and even though her eyes were still closed, he saw a tear slide down her cheek.

            He had Junhong bring him his laptop. The young man had lingered, staring at the two of them nervously. “Go. I won’t do anything to her.” Junhong looked uncertain, and Daehyun suppressed a sigh. “Junhong, Hyung needs your trust right now. Please.” Junhong bowed stiffly and walked out the door. “Tell Noona I came.”

            Daehyun was working on a report when Jinli finally woke up. “Hey.” He placed the computer down but she shook her head.

            “You didn’t have to stay.”

            “Someone has to be here. It’s fine.”

            “I need to get to my meeting. Why didn’t you just take me there?” She was attempting to sit up.

            Sometimes, Daehyun really prayed for patience when dealing with her. “I hardly think an unconscious person would be able to provide much input.” Her cheeks flamed and he found a twisted satisfaction to see that he could still get under her skin.

            “But I need to go explain. These clients are no joke, Daehyun.”

            “There’s no need,” he said curtly, as he stood to bring her the tray of food. “Your colleague called and said he would do your presentation and that Soyun will be taking the government case.”

            Her shoulders sank with obvious relief. “Can I have my phone? I need to call Taewoon and thank him.” The jealousy that went through him was a surprise and left an unpleasant taste.

            “Do it later. Eat first. You missed when they were doing rounds. Should I heat it up? I think it may have gotten cold.”

            The doctor came back when she finished eating. “Mrs. Jung, all your vitals seem fine; a little undernourished. You should be eating more. I know you work hard, but remember, health and strength should be a first priority. Please stay home and rest for a few days. The pneumonia worsens with exposure. I’ll be informed whether you’re listening to my words or not. Your husband is a good man. He will make sure you obey. I already sent the medicine to the pharmacy. You can leave once the drip finishes.”

***

            “Sorry I made you miss work. You can go in now. I’ll be fine by myself. I’m sure there are people who need to see you.” Daehyun let the hidden sting slide and sat her by the couch. Her arms slid down his neck and he found his nostrils missing her lemony scent.

            “Think of it as an impromptu vacation day. I can stay with you today and tomorrow too. All weekend until you get better.”

            “I heard you on the phone.” She wasn’t looking at him. “You can see her tomorrow, or whenever. That was part of the agreement. You can keep seeing her. I don’t want to be more of a responsibility than I already am.”

            Daehyun’s jaw clenched. He tries to do one nice thing for her and this happens. “I said it’s fine. We’ll see what happens. We’re friends and this is what friends do, anyway. Now be good and wrap yourself in this blanket.”

            Maybe it was the illness talking but Jinli swallowed. “Daehyun, can you not be this nice to me?”
            He took a deep breath. “Jinli, whether we like it or not, we’re still married. Yes, we’re doing it in a completely unconventional way but I had promised you I would do better. I’d like to cultivate a friendship. Just think of me as a guy friend. Come here.” He got up and wrapped the warm blanket around her. He resisted the urge to hug her because he knew that would be overstepping his own boundaries. “Stay here. Let me make some soup.”

            Once in the kitchen, Daehyun was at a loss. When he was by himself, sick days were passed by the technological miracle called takeout and lots and lots of pills. He called his mom after staring helplessly into the fridge. “What soup do you make when I’m sick?” he asked.

            “Are you alright?”

            “Yes, Umma. It’s Jinli. She isn’t feeling so well. Can you teach me something simple?”

            “Look at you,” and he felt guilty hearing the happiness in her voice. Given recent events, his mother had probably thought he was a lost cause. “Dice the carrots and turnips. If you have beef, wash it and soak it in mild soy sauce. Then put it into the boiled water. Add in sliced tomatoes. Let it all sit for an hour or so. Is she okay? Do you need me to come over?” She was starting to sound concerned.

            “Mom, trust me.”

            By the time the soup was ready and edible, Daehyun had a lot of respect for the women in his life. He scooped the food into a bowl and carried it gingerly to the living room. Jinli was curled in the blanket, and was slightly agape. She had fallen asleep. He frowned. All that effort to waste. He knelt next to her and then her eyes flew open.

            “What? Dazzled by my beauty?”

            He gave her a grimace and rocked on the heels of his feet. “Drink.” He held out the spoon to her and she tried to take it from him. “No, let me. I don’t want you spilling.”

            Jinli rolled her eyes and opened . Daehyun watched her eat and for a split second pictured their life had Hyosung not come back. “How is it?”

            “Very impressive, Jung Daehyun. If I knew you could cook so well, I would just let Eunah go home earlier and let you cook for yourself.”

            He laughed and watched until she finally pulled away and sank back into the couch. Her small body was once more swallowed by the blanket. Once in a while she would cough and Daehyun would hand her a tissue.

            “How did you know Taewoon took your presentation?”

            She opened her eyes and he saw two pink spots on her cheeks. “He’s my intern. If there’s anyone who knows my cases as well as I do, it’s him.”

            “Oh. So you must be close then. Funny how he was our instructor during the honeymoon, and now your intern.” Daehyun stole a peek at her.

            Jinli shrugged. “He jokes around, calling it fate.”

            “Do you think it is?”

            “Jung Daehyun, you’re not possibly getting jealous, are you?” This was now entering dangerous territory. Just as how Hyosung was a topic gently skirted around, so was Taewoon, especially after the fiasco in Japan.

            His face flamed. “Of course not.” He stood up abruptly and took the bowl back to the kitchen.

            “Of course not,” he heard her mutter.

            When he came back, he sat down next to her and pulled her feet onto his lap. He felt the reflex begin to pull back but held on firmly. “So what do you want to do?”

            “Do?”

            “Yeah, maybe watch a movie until you fall asleep or I can sing for you?”

            She inhaled deeply. “Why are you doing this?”

            “I said we’re friends. Here, lie comfortably. I’ll sing for you. Be honored. I don’t sing for a lot of people.”

            “Good to know,” she murmured sarcastically. But Daehyun caught the fleeting smile that ran across her lips.

***

            The doorbell was ringing and the maid beat her to it. “Mrs. Jung, welcome. I think Mr. Jung and his missus are still sleeping.”

            Jinli walked down to greet her mother-in-law. The elderly lady was holding multiple bags. “Jinli, shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

            Jinli smiled. Her head was still spinning but manners came first. “You didn’t have to come.”

            “Daehyun told me you were sick and while it’s cute to have him take care of you, I still worry. I’ll set up some noodle soup while you go get him.”

            Jinli walked up to the room. Last night, Daehyun had brought her upstairs and fell asleep actually facing her. Her heart fluttered against her will as she stared at his resting features. What was it about this man that he could hurt her and reject her, and try as she might, she still had feelings for him? There was a buzz and she glanced at his phone.

            My Noona: Hyunnie, when are you coming? It’s red night~

            The tiny pattering in her heart came to a still. How disgusting. Red night? He probably had a weird lingerie . Daehyun stirred and he saw her staring at his phone. Blearily, he opened the screen. She saw him scan it sleepily before sitting up. There was an inscrutable look on his face.

            “Are you feeling better?”

            “Your mother’s here. You should tell her you’ll be able to see her soon.”

            “Jinli.” She winced and sat on the edge of the bed. She felt him touch her shoulder. “Daehyun, stop.” The world was spinning and the pressure of tears was pushing against . His mother came in.

            “Daehyun-ah, get up! We have a whole day ahead of us.”

            “He has an appointment in an hour.” Jinli was proud of her steady voice.

            “What? You can’t possibly be going.” The disapproval was obvious in his mother’s voice.

            It took a lot of effort but she managed to stand. “It’s fine. I have you.”

            “I don’t need to go,” Daehyun protested.

            “You damn better not. Not when Jinli is in this condition.”

            “He has to go,” Jinli said firmly. “It’s an important meeting with clients.” She forced another few steps forward. “I’d feel horrible if he breaks his promise. Don’t worry. I’ll have you.” She clung to her mother-in-law and forced a smile.

            “How long is this appointment?” The elder Mrs. Jung turned to her son.

            “Mom, I can just not go.”

            “Daehyun, stop. I won’t get better knowing I’m keeping you.” If he made her talk more, she was going to cry. He stared at her, caught in between, helpless, until his mother sniffed.

            “Call me the moment you’re done with this meeting. I’m tempted to give your client quite an earful.”

***

            In the car, Daehyun stared blankly at his dashboard. He didn’t want to see Hyosung now. He was too tired to pretend, to act as if he was fine. And she knew him well enough to know when he was being too cold, too aloof. He closed his eyes and could not get Jinli’s desperate face out of his head.

            “Argh!” he slammed the horn. The blast caused others outside to turn towards him. He leaned his head against his headrest and let out a deep breath. He couldn’t not go to Hyosung now. But he also couldn’t stay. Maybe it was better to tell her a partial truth.

            The moment he arrived, he told Hyosung he only had two hours at most. “My mother dropped in for a surprise visit,” he whispered, knowing that it was now the only excuse that could work.

            The woman in front of him pouted but grabbed onto his tie anyway. “Then let’s see how much we can get done in that time,” she smirked as she tiptoed to place a kiss on his neck.

 

I actually had this scene written nearly two years ago and I’m SO happy I finally got to this point. I have a bunch of other scenes that have been written for two years and I’m slowly connecting the dots hehe 

This story was actually only supposed to be around 45 chapters and I guess now it's gone beyond that. I really sincerely from the bottom of my heart want to thank all of you.

I started this story the fall of my freshman year and tomorrow is our class day, the day I walk across the stage. The day after that is commencement. It's been an incredible journey with you all and it's exciting that this story will continue even as I face adult life hehe