Chapter 24 - Push and Let Go

Mistress of My Heart

            It was Yongguk’s idea and one that neither of them could refuse. “Daehyun, we’re going to the bar after work. It’ll be a nice relaxation after these few weeks. Are you in?”

            Daehyun looked up and nodded, smiling. “Yes, that would be great.” He had put the other day’s encounter with Hyosung in the back of his mind. She was smart enough to stay away, and Youngjae didn’t bring it up. “Would Youngjae be coming?”

            “Yep, he’s staying over at my place. I also invited Jinli and she’s coming too.”

            The sudden drop in Daehyun’s mood was surprising, even to him. Yongguk noticed the change in his expression and frowned sternly. “We’ll come get you.”

            It was weird for him to see her with his friends. Jinli arrived and he looked the other way pointedly. Why Yongguk felt the need to bring her, he had no idea. Junhong and Jongup were the most open with her, actively playing up the roles of the cute maknaes.

            Daehyun sat next to her purely out of obligation but he only sipped on his scotch and allowed the rest of them to carry on the conversation. He talked to Youngjae and Himchan instead, with Yongguk bridging the gap between the two.

            When they went for another round, he volunteered himself to get the drinks. As he came back, he saw Junhong looking at Jinli’s wrist. “Noona, did Daehyun-Hyung get this for you? It’s such a pretty bracelet.”

            Himchan glanced over. “That’s pretty expensive. When did you get it for her?” He called to Daehyun as he placed the tray down on the table.

            Without sparing her a glance, he scowled. “Why would I get her anything?”

            There was a beat of silence around the table and then he reached over and grabbed her wrist. His expression hardened when he saw the Tiffany’s bracelet with the infinity symbol on it. He had a niggling suspicion who gave it to her and he threw her arm away. “Did he get it for you?”

            It was enough to see her face pale even under the dark lights of the bar. The other five were quiet as he settled back in his seat. Youngjae broke the silence, wisely changing the subject. “So I heard you’re going on a business trip next week.”

            Daehyun could see Jinli look at him from the corner of his eyes. He had deliberately not told her about the plans, not wanting her to get involved. He didn’t need a naggy wife telling him what to pack, what not to bring and just being concerned over him in general.

            “Yeah,” he answered gruffly.

            “Do you know your team?”

            “I know I have to bring someone from the other company, and one of my own.”

            Yongguk cleared his throat. “I signed up for it. I think we can bring that new intern, Kim Yoojae. He should be adequate enough.” There was an unspoken silence that if it weren’t Yoojae, it was Hyosung that they would be bringing.

            Daehyun nodded curtly and Jinli spoke. “Where would you be going?”

            He studied his nails, pretending to think but Himchan answered. “They’re going to be traveling to London for a conference. We’re trying to pick up more global customers.”

            “Sounds nice. How long will you be there?”

            Her questions were grating on his nerves. He reached over and shot back his drink, crunching on an ice cube before answering, “One week or a little longer, depending on how much persuasion we need to get the deal sealed. Once we sign, I’m going to stay a few more days to have them show me around.”

            That seemed to satisfy her and he saw Jongup’s admonishing look. Suddenly, the entire atmosphere was too constricting. He loosened his tie and stood up. “I need to go. I have that meeting tomorrow. Yongguk-Hyung, you should get some sleep too if you’re bidding for the spot. I don’t get to choose this time since the other company is involved, so you’re going to have to be there to see if you make it.”

            There was a quiet murmuring and Youngjae excused himself for the bathroom. He beckoned to Daehyun and it was with reluctance that he followed. There was going to be a lecture, he could sense it.

            Daehyun was surprised that Youngjae didn’t round on him the moment they were out of earshot. Instead, he waited until he was done at the urinal and washing his hands. “You know, you can do with being nicer to Jinli.”

            “Same story every time, man. It gets old,” Daehyun shot back, examining his reflection. His eyes were bloodshot and he looked tired.

            “We all know that bracelet wasn’t from you and it sure as hell isn’t from LiLi because that isn’t just a friendship bracelet. You better watch out. I know she wouldn’t do anything but if you hurt her, someone else might.”

            Daehyun dried his hands and fixed his tie. “Thanks but no thanks for your concern. I can take care of my own wife.”

            “I don’t doubt it,” the other man replied in a voice dripping with sarcasm.

            The bracelet did bother him and when they got home, it was with as much self-control as he could muster that he asked her about it. “Who actually gave you the bracelet?”

            He could see her hesitate and knew that she was teetering between truth and lie. It was a small struggle and he knew she must have been thinking about it for days.

            “Taewoon,” she finally answered.

            “Are you asking for a divorce?” he asked sardonically.

            Jinli didn’t look at him. “He says it’s a friendship thing. Don’t think too much about it. I won’t wear it if it bothers you. I just felt bad not wearing it to work since he’s there.”

            “Keep it on,” he replied coolly. “You know I don’t care.”

***

            Daehyun sat on his chair and waited for the executive manager from the other company to arrive. When he did with the plans for the business trip, he asked that Hyosung be sent as his representative. “The people in London have worked with her before, and they love her. She’ll be a great asset to both your company, as well as mine.”

            Daehyun’s father agreed and when it came time to choose someone from Daehyun’s department, Yongguk was brought up. “Mr. Bang has worked tirelessly to maintain our deals with other global networks, and I believe that he would be a great mediator with London as well,” Daehyun put in.

            His father glanced down. “Ah, but I already put him in charge of Japan relations next month. How about this month we go with Mr. Yook instead?”

            They had no choice and it was only when Yongguk disappeared after the meeting that Daehyun realized. Yongguk must have known he was chosen for Japan already, so why would he try for London? Then he knew. It was obvious they would never have taken the intern and Yongguk had wanted to be there in case Hyosung did something.

            He chuckled bitterly. There was no need. Ever since that incident, he has scarcely seen the older woman. And Daehyun was professional enough. One weeklong business trip wasn’t going to have him disrupt all that he had tried to work for the last two years.