Chapter 68 - Changing

Mistress of My Heart

Jinli wanted to kick herself. Dinner was a chance for her to get closer to him, but they had kept the conversation skirting around polite conversation. There as that one moment when they touched on the past but then it was over, dissolved into time as quickly as it came. It was probably for the best. For all she knew, he was more than happy to keep their relationship professional.

            She thought back to the time she had wanted to improve the house. She had pictured splashes of blue-gray and patches of warmth. She had wanted to make the house feel like a home she wanted to be in, and a home they could progress their marriage in. Now, it feels almost erse for her to use the same designs when the house was meant for Daehyun only. But she still couldn’t get the images out of her mind.

            She forced herself to add other touches, something that hinted at more of a bachelor pad than a marriage home. Her hands flew over the sketchpad as she incorporated the more masculine scheme and added stripes to the pillows and layers to the blankets. She rearranged his workspace, thinking of how lonely it must be to live in such a big house without anyone else. Thinking of this, she decided to carve out a space in the basement for a bar and entertainment room in case he ever wanted his friends over.

***

            Daehyun’s first impression of the sketches was that they were very good. But when he looked at them more carefully, he realized there was still something missing. The color scheme she used and the new modern technology and even the game room she added was too much like the home of a wealthy single man.

            “You don’t like it.” Jinli started to reach for the papers but he held them out of the way.

            “No, that’s absolutely not the case.” He stared at her and tried to form the right words in his mouth so he could convey exactly what he was thinking. “It’s a great design,” he began.

            “But not what you want?”

            Daehyun looked her straight in the eye as he spoke. “No. I was looking for something that looked a little bit more lived in, a little more like home.” He wanted a little more color, a little more scent. He wanted to step into the living room and see the throw pillow she had hugged while they were snuggled on the couch, watching a movie. He wanted the kitchen to be filled with ingredients and spices and food she had made for him. He wanted to stumble into his room and see her makeup on the dresser and her side of the closet bursting with her colorful wardrobe. He wanted to fall asleep next to her and have her hair drape across his chest as their limbs tangled together. He wanted her.

            “I would like to have a little bit more warmth to the design.” He finally said. All of the unspoken words washed down his throat and lodged there uncomfortably as he tried to grab a hold of his emotions.

            “Warmth,” she repeated. “Well, okay. Do you want me to add a little bit of color? What are your thoughts on orange and yellows? I can put a little bit of that onto the couch and the bathroom. It might not be good to do too much because then it gives off too much of a feminine presence.”

            “Who said men can’t enjoy a bit of color?” Daehyun joked. He was feeling a little frustrated with how slow the progress was. What he wanted to do was take her in his arms and kiss her so hard he leaves an imprint on . Instead, they were across the table and he had to try hard not to feel the glare of the cameras on his face.

***

            Overall, it had been pleasant working with Jinli. But after that dinner, they didn’t get another moment alone. Some days he wasn’t there for the filming, and it was now when she was approving the final touches, that he was invited to join. Perhaps he could make the excuse that people wanted to see their interactions to be around more. He liked watching her work. She was focused and had a habit of tucking her hair around her ear that made him want to kiss her softly on the neck.

            “Hyung,” a low voice by his ear made him jump. “You’re drooling.”

            Daehyun’s ears burned as he turned his head to see Junhong grinning at him. Jongup was next to him, smiling in an equally mischievous manner. He cleared his throat. “I was just making sure things were being done the right way.”

            “Oh please. You already trust Noona. You’re just ogling her.” Junhong bent down to whisper, “Are you going to ask her out?”

            Daehyun kept his eye on Jinli. She was speaking to some of the workers and pointing where she wanted to place the couch, a rearrangement that would provide a more welcoming aspect to the house. She was holding onto her clipboard and her head was tilted as she moved. Her hair swept across her shoulders and she was smiling.

            “Should I?”

            “If you don’t, I’ll do it,” Junhong threatened. “Hyung, you should snatch her up before someone else does. I also see the way she looks at you. I’m sure she wouldn’t turn you down.”

            His heart caught in his throat. “What do you mean, how she looks at me?”

            Junhong batted his lashes and softened the corners of his lips. “All Bambi-eyed, like this.”

            Jongup bumped the youngest and smacked his head. “Don’t be ridiculous. She just looks really happy to see you in the room, Hyung.” He then raised his voice and waved heartily. “Noona! We’re here!”

            Jinli smiled brightly as she made her way to the trio. “Nice of you two to drop by! How have you been doing? Jongup, when is the wedding set?” Daehyun fell back slowly to watch her interact with his two friends and waged an inner battle with himself.

            He had said he wouldn’t bother her anymore. But they were clearly working together and a part of each other’s lives again. This could just be temporary, he thought firmly. It would be absolutely shameless of him to just waltz back into her life as if nothing happened. There was too much between them and no proper goodbye or closure to put that part of their time together away.

            “-would love to. Wouldn’t you, Hyung?”

            Daehyun shook himself out of his reverie as Junhong nudged him. “Noona was saying that the filming might be done by the end of this week and she wanted to know if we were free for a celebratory dinner. You’ll be free, right?”

            Jinli was looking right at him. Her eyes were bright and clear and he wondered if he was the only one to still have feelings. Didn’t she feel a bit nervous to talk to him? Didn’t she feel like there was still so much left unsaid between them? How could she seem like she was completely fine now?

            He swallowed the emotions down to his throat. “Of course. Why don’t we make it a housewarming party and invite everyone?”

            “I think that would be perfect.”

 

Hello everyone (if there is anyone out there anymore haha) It truly has been a hot minute since I've updated. Life has been moving along and while I still love the boys very deeply, it's been harder for me to find time to write. If anything else fails, I definitely will give this story its due and finish it, so I hope you'll all stay with me for however long that takes. <3