Chapter 32 - Faking It

Mistress of My Heart

            Jinli anticipated his return home with relish. She knew that with his mother in the house, any anger he wanted to show would have to be restrained. It was going to be bad in the room but maybe his mom would take the slamming of objects as another night of passionate .

            When Daehyun came home, she could hear her mother-in-law greeting him and telling him to wash up, to get her to go downstairs as well. Jinli had offered to cook but the woman had insisted that the maid did it, and nobody could make Daehyun’s favorite dish like his mother could anyway.

            He opened the door slowly and then closed it quietly as well when he saw her working at the desk. “Why aren’t you downstairs helping with the cooking? Did you miss out on lessons with mommy on how to be a good housewife?” Their eyes met in the mirror and she saw that his were glittering.

            “My mother passed away when I was twelve. I don’t think I quite had the time to even master how to turn on a stove at that time.”

            This got him and he started to pull at his tie. “So your friend, the intern, huh.”

            “What about Unnie?”

            “She’s got quite the aim. I’m sure you know all about it.”

            “Oh I’m sorry. Did that keep you from meeting Hyosung tonight? Tell her the hotel room for the makeup will be on me.”

            He stepped forward and pulled her violently by the arm, drawing her to a standing position. “What the hell is wrong with you?”

            “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Jinli refused to back down. Even though every rational fiber in her being was yelling at her to be careful, she almost dared him to hit her.

            Daehyun’s lips were white as he said between his teeth, “Is this your petty way of getting back on me?”

            “No. I didn’t even know she was coming, and I had no idea she would get physical. I just thought she would say something.”

            “Is this what all girls do? Complain when they aren’t getting what they want?”

            “Please, are you even implying that I’d want you? Jung Daehyun, get your hands off me and stop thinking with your . Not every woman is willing to throw themselves at you.”

            There was a nasty smirk on his face when he replied. “Oh, but I do recall you trying to do that. Twice, if I remember correctly.”

            Jinli’s face flushed involuntarily and he took another step so that they were pressed against one another. “Sassy as you may be, I don’t think you can ever trump me. You’ve given away too much of your pride.”

            She took a step back and yanked her arm away from him. “Forgive me. I forgot I was talking to someone so shameless he’d make sinners cry.”

            “Daehyun! Jinli! Come down for dinner!”   

            He turned to her and she saw the struggle in his eyes before he spoke. “Remember, nothing happened. We’re going to pretend.”

            She turned her blank, media princess face to him and smiled. “Of course, my dear.”

***

            His mother had a devious look on her face when she saw the two of them enter the dining room the next morning. “Daehyun, you don’t have anything to do today, do you?”           

            “I have work but we’re going to visit dad, aren’t we?”

            “You can drop me off at the hospital. The two of you have a date.”

            “Mom. I have to work, and so does she.”

            “Oh I called Jongup. He promised to settle everything for me and I called your office, Jinli. They have someone who will finish off your project. It’s almost done, isn’t it?”

            Daehyun looked exasperated. “Mom. We’re both adults with work to do. You can’t simply uplift our plans because you feel like it.”

            His mother looked offended. “I wasn’t uplifting your plans; I was simply rearranging them. And I did a pretty damn good job of it. I have Himchan coming in to work out the stocks and I have Jongup covering your desk. As for Jinli, I’m sorry dear. I don’t’ know your line of trade as well as I know the company’s so I just had that lovely intern who picked up take over the final spots. I checked and you didn’t have a meeting.”

            She turned to her son with a reproachful look. “The two of you have been working nonstop since your honeymoon and while it’s nice that young people are so motivated, it would also be good to cultivate a married relationship. Take me to the hospital, drop me off, and there a driver will take you on your way.”

            “You even hired a driver?

            “Not really. You’ll see what I mean.”

            At the hospital, Daehyun’s father was awake and he, too, encouraged the break. “Take this time to get to know each other more,” he encouraged.

            “This is such a random time though,” Daehyun argued. “Why now?”

            “Because your mother has informed me that there seems to be tension in the house. And that could only be because the two of you are not getting along. Don’t argue with your dying father and do as your mother, and I, says.”

            It was unreasonable. But he had nothing to say when his father made it practically an order. He looked at Jinli and saw that she found great interest in the different monitors. “Thank you for this trip,” Daehyun smiled. “I wish you had asked us if there was tension rather than assume but things are fine between us.”

            “That’s why dinner last night was me talking to myself and then to the two of you separately, right?” his mother asked sharply. “Don’t argue, Daehyun. It’s about time you invested a little more into this marriage.”

            The first thing Jinli said to him when they were in the elevator was, “I didn’t say anything.”

            “I didn’t say you did.”

            “Just to clarify in case you thought I let something slip.”

            They were standing side by side but miles apart. Jinli could only think of a handful of times where Daehyun looked so angry and their honeymoon was it. “We don’t have to, you know. We can be rebellious.”    

            “Are you purposely being annoying? We can’t do that and you know it. I swear if your friend Kira said anything.”

            “She didn’t. You have more problems than just her. Just because she gave you a punch in your ego doesn’t mean you can throw her around as scapegoat. Maybe your mom is actually observant.”

            Daehyun was quiet for a moment. “Well, what would you rather I did? Do you want a stunning movie star kiss in the middle of the kitchen, right in front of her? Do you possibly want to move our room to the living room? Oh how about this. I’ll come home every night, sit down and ask you how your day went? Is that how your perfect domestic fantasy will play out?”

            “It’s not what I want.” But any other retort was stopped by the door opening. Daehyun strode out, staring straight ahead and she walked angrily next to him.

            Junhong was leaning against the hood of the car when they came out. “Hyung! Noona!” He waved, completely not bothered by the scowls on their faces.

            “Unbelievable,” Daehyun muttered. “Where are we going?”

            “Wherever I drive the car to,” came the response and Daehyun shook his head.

            “Can’t suppose I can bribe you to not take us to where we’re going and take me back to the company?”

            “Hyung. My paycheck doesn’t come from you. Of course not.”

            The drive was uncomfortable and Jinli could see Junhong’s eyes on the two of them the entire time. Jinli felt her phone buzz and she stared at it. It was a text from Daehyun.

            Okay. Forget what I said earlier. We signed a contract. You’re right. I’ll try harder. From here on, we’ll be faking it.

            She scoffed and tossed her phone into her pocketbook, knowing full well that Daehyun was looking. She didn’t know what in the world made him change his mind in the last twenty minutes but she didn’t care. Turn this into a game, and then it’s about winning. No emotions attached.

            And because she knows Junhong was looking, she leaned over and kissed Daehyun on the cheek. 

 

I have no idea what I'm writing at this point.

I have what I want to happen planned out but I can't seem to get there and it's frustrating. I'm sorry for these chapters. It's a struggle between wanting to be as realistic as possible and also having what I want to happen happen. :(

I'm sorry. I got sick and everything right now is such a struggle >:(  Please don't leave me LOL