Chapter 63 - Reckoning

Mistress of My Heart

            The show premiered and while it did not soar, there was some lukewarm feedback. People were intrigued, interested in seeing their celebrity’s private dwelling and interested in this makeover reality that was so fresh. Some hated it, thinking that it was boring and too technical. Others thought it was another way for the rich to flaunt their wealth. Some older ladies felt that such homes of luxury were simply unattainable. Others just wanted to see a little more action.

            “Isn’t the interior designer the one who was married to the head manager of TS?”

            “Yeah! And they had a divorce. He was cheating on her, the scum.”

            “How interesting that she would decide to take this job. Must be desperate for more fame.”

            “I heard she’s doing very well though.”

            “Maybe she’s regretting giving up being the daughter-in-law of a chaebol’s family.”

            “Heol, how great would it be if they showed up on screen together?”

            The words online were once more stirring up controversy. Taewoon walked in, clutching his phone in anger. “You should stop filming. It’s like they won’t let the past go.”

            Jinli looked up from her papers and frowned. She removed her glasses to rub her tired eyes. “Babe, just ignore it.”

            “You know I hate this. I hate how the media always tries to pry into your life.” When she started to speak, he shushed her. “Don’t tell me you’re used to it. I hate that too. You shouldn’t be. What your father did to you is terrible, making you grow up in that environment. Can’t we ever just have a normal life?”

            “Our life is fairly normal, Taewoon. Don’t be too upset. Come here. Do you think I should put in an artificial fireplace? It would go so well in this panel right here.” She held out her hand invitingly and watched him soften. He climbed onto the bed and kissed her forehead.

            “I’m sorry. I just hate seeing how your reputation is always being dragged through the mud.”

            Jinli patted his cheek. “I know. But honestly, business is better than ever, and this broadcast could be great publicity.” He was still pouting and she peeked at him from under her lashes. “How about we go public with our relationship? That way they wouldn’t have much to say about all that mess.”

            “What?” He twisted to look at her, as if unsure he had heard right. She repeated her words and he picked up her hand. “We don’t have to. You’re right. We aren’t here to live for the media. I’m sorry I was so worked up. Let me take a look at your sketch.”

            She kept the drawing firmly in her lap and looked at him. “Tae, I hope you know that I meant it. I would be willing to put our relationship to the public if it’ll make you feel better.”

            He carefully removed her work and pressed her down under him, kissing her. “There’s no need. Your words are enough.”

***

            The promotions came swiftly. Because of his absence, Daehyun was only moved up to a general manager level, still far below where he was supposed to be. Yongguk stood outside his office with a grim look. “You know, you deserve to be sitting where I am sitting. The years you’ve put into the company isn’t just erased by that one incident.”

            Daehyun looked up from where he was poring over contracts and gave a tiny grin. “Hyung, if there is anyone who I want in that seat, it’s you. Besides, I want to work for that future CEO position, and if it doesn’t end up with me, at least you’ll have it.”

            “Hurry up and come back to your level. How is the show doing?”

            “The reviews have been interesting. It’s stirring quite a bit of media attention but it doesn’t seem like people are necessarily tuning in to watch for the sake of the home improvement, however. They seem to be more interested in gossip.”

            “I’ve read the comments. Everyone wants to see you two collab, either on your house or have you appear on screen with her.”

            Daehyun shrugged. “Well, the public can’t always get what they want so they can stop holding their breath for it.” 

            “Really? I thought you wanted to try again?”

            “She’s already dating someone, Hyung. Her assistant.”

            Yongguk raised his eyebrows, not making a comment. “Well, either way, the show isn’t doing too terribly. I think viewership should increase as we air more episodes.”

            It had been most painful to admit just how thoroughly he had lost her but it only gave him an incentive to work harder. The stockowners were still very much on the offense about the new idea, so he had to make sure viewership went up and that he was able to work on other projects and bring in more clients.

            Filming continued smoothly but viewership only increased slightly towards the end, when the final reveal was made. Comments still called for the two of them to work together, something the board had brought up but Daehyun adamantly refused.

            “The whole reason why we had the online airings with the commenting sections enabled was so we could respond to viewers when they tell us what they want.”

            “It’s simply unprofessional, the way you are allowing your personal life affect your business decisions.”

            The criticism came at him constantly. Daehyun knew that the older board members were not happy with how he singlehandedly took responsibility and revealed so much of his private life right before his hiatus. What had been an obvious ascension to the CEO position was now starting to be precarious. To make it up, he started working fifteen hour days, often spending the night in the office, waiting for overseas clients to call and sign up deals.

            “Hyung, you should really go out and take a break sometimes.”

            Junhong leaned against his office after a particularly late meeting. Daehyun glanced at his watch. The long hand just hit twelve, merging with the small hand, indicating midnight. “Just give me a minute. I’m still waiting for a call from California.”

            “You know, you look terrible. Have you even been eating?”

            “Of course. My mom sends Eunah over at least once a week to cook up a storm.”

            “But you’re never home to eat. Hyung, maybe it’s time you got out and maybe met someone?” He said it slowly, hesitantly. Daehyun could feel him staring at him and he smiled a little.

            “I don’t think I have time. The next year’s elections are coming up in a few months and I really need to make a few more promotions.”

            The chair in front of his chair scraped across the floor as Junhong sat down. “You know, if you spoke to some of the higher-ups, they’ll understand and you really shouldn’t be taking the blame for all of that. It’s not like it wouldn’t have happened without you.”

            “It’s mostly my fault. Besides, it’s only right for me to have to start over.”

            “There’s still an entire quarter left. You have to make it to the end of the year galas before they’ll even think about promoting you. You can’t do that if you’re working yourself to the bone every night.”

            “Hong, I know you mean well. But I promise, after this quarter I’ll be able to take a breather. I’ll even let you plan my vacation.”

            The youngest smiled slightly. “Don’t you want a lady to go on vacation with?”

            Daehyun glanced down at his computer. There was an email from the client in California postponing the call. He began to pack up his things. “Honestly, I don’t really need a repeat of what happened before. I’m not ready. I do wish Jinli well, but I still like her too much to want to move on.” He grabbed his briefcase. “Come on. Let’s go grab some drinks?”

***

            “Noona, today’s the last day of shooting. We may be doing a second season. Would you be interested?”

            Jinli looked at the tall man in front of her and smiled. “Perhaps. Did the ratings do well?”

            “Unfortunately, not as well as we had expected.”

            “Is there any way to fix it? Is it the format or am I too technical?”
            Junhong his lips. “It’s not that, Noona.”

            Jinli’s brows furrowed. “What is it then?”

            “Nothing. Just perhaps, not quite what the audience expected. I think they were looking for something less reality television and something with more scripted drama.”

            She laughed. “This is a home makeover. And I want to keep peace with my workers. If they thought I would be arguing with my client or my assistants on set, they must be crazy.”

            “Yeah,” he grinned wryly. “They’re crazy.”

            But there was something off about his answers and when she went home, Jinli looked up at the online comments. It was as they had been since the show first launched. Everyone just wanted to see an interaction between her and Daehyun. It always baffled her why they cared so much about the two of their lives. They were merely businesspeople, successful ones at that, but not celebrities. The constant appearance in the public eye made her feel uncomfortable and she deleted the search from her history before Taewoon could see.

            They were at their one year anniversary and if she didn’t know him, she would think it would just be a normal celebration. But Jinli knew that he had been wanting a sort of commitment and her heart caught in as she stared at her fingers. Was she ready to put another ring back on her finger after nearly two years?

            The heavy twist in her gut told her no but she wanted to brush it off. Maybe she was just scared. After all, the first experience had been an absolute horror show and it would be bound to have left traumatic aftereffects. But she also knew that in the last twelve months, she found that she always looked at him with something akin to appreciation, felt in her heart a light film of guilt when she read the love in his gaze. Despite how hard she tried, she simply didn’t reciprocate.

            It had been so easy to play the part of the perfect girlfriend. Their friendship and deep support system made it easy. He made her not necessarily happy, but comforted and loved. But there was no major emotions of the heart. She missed him when they were away but it wasn’t a want so unbearable and sometimes she’d have to set reminders about anniversaries. All of which seemed so effortless for him.

            Her phone rang and Jinli picked it up absentmindedly. “Sweetheart, I’ll be home in half an hour. Do you want to get ready?”

            Her heart swooped and she walked to her closet. “Yes. You still haven’t told me where we are going.”

            Taewoon chuckled. “If I did, where would the mystery be?”

            Jinli flipped through the dresses. “Well, I wouldn’t know if what I’m wearing is appropriate dress code or not.”

            “Don’t worry. You look perfect regardless.”

            She took a deep breath as she appraised each of the articles of clothing. A flashback to Daehyun choosing her attire for her came to mind and she shook it off. She reached past the navy and the black dresses, all things she never wore since, and found a simple grey dress. It was flattering enough to be fancy but didn’t draw attention to herself.

            When she opened her drawer, her eyes caught on two boxes she had shoved way to the back. Her fingers trembled. One contained her rings and the other had the bracelet that Daehyun had gifted to her way back when. Instead, she picked up a thin chain that Taewoon had gotten her for their sixth month anniversary.

            She was ready by the time his car pulled in front of the apartment. When she got into the car, he picked up her hand and kissed her knuckles. “You’re beautiful.”

            The proposal came towards the end of dinner. She had though he would have an event, whether it was a ring brought in a champagne glass or hidden in a cake. But he did it as their plates were cleared. It was just the two of them and he picked up her hand.

            “Jinli, I love you. And I think you probably guessed this was going to happen, but will you please marry me?”

            Despite knowing that it was coming, she couldn’t help but stare at him. The ring sparkled a little in the candlelight and she stared at his face. The undercurrent of guilt suddenly hit her and she wanted to run away. But she forced herself to stay there.

            Jinli flipped her hand so that she was holding onto him instead. “Taewoon,” she started and already she saw him smiling sadly. His fingers closed the lid on the box and it was making its way back into his pocket.

            His thumb ran over her skin and she wanted to cry. He always did this. He seemed to know her better than she did, and was always two steps in front of her. “Okay, I’ll give you time. There’s no rush. Do you still want dessert? I heard the dark chocolate gelato is amazing here.”

            When he saw the tear slip from the corner of her eyes, he got out of his seat and kissed her cheek. “Baby, don’t cry. I understand.”

            He hugged her as she shook, soothing her and pulling her to him. By the time Jinli regained composure, he had already paid the bill and had a dark spot on the of his suit jacket. Taewoon held her hand throughout the car ride home and after she was washed and ready to sleep, his arms were wide open for her.

            That night, she wanted to use urgent kisses and fast s to convey her apologies but he insisted on slow and deep kisses. Every time she tried to get him to move, he would resist and hold her down. She tried desperately to make it about him but as always, he made it about her. When she was arching underneath him, she tried to use and her words to let him know that she was sorry but he would swallow every syllable and leave her a melting mess.

            It was only when Jinli’s mind started to drift off to sleep that she realized all that he did was an echo of goodbye.

 

Happy New Year everyone! Hopefully this will be the year I finish this story~