Chapter 64 - Waves

Mistress of My Heart

            The breakup wasn’t official until two weeks later. Taewoon came into her office with a letter and the heavy smile of someone who had accepted fate. “Jinli, they offered me the job in Tokyo as the new head architect.”

            After that night, things had changed. Taewoon still made sure they had dinner after work, but the conversations began to veer more towards work than anything else they would have talked about. When he kissed her good night, he did it with reserve. She knew that he was hurt but a part of her wondered if he knew the truth.

If she wanted to be selfish and to keep him, she would have begged. But experience taught her that it wouldn’t be fair. The love she had for him wasn’t enough to keep him tied to her. There were moments where she saw him about to break down and knew that he was going to convince himself that he would be okay with whatever version of love she could give him. But Jinli would force herself to break the kiss, or to turn away before he could do anything else but swallow those emotions.

            She hated herself for not being able to end things. The words were at the tip of her tongue but the fear of loneliness always kept her quiet despite her actions saying otherwise. Each night, she went to bed, ready for an ending, but he would wrap his arm around her waist and pull her into his chest and silence her before she could even say anything. So when the news presented itself, she could only smile sadly at him. Even fate knew.

            “That’s amazing. I’m so proud of you.”

            Taewoon’s eyes glittered and his lips fell into that easy-going smile she had found so comforting throughout the years. “You aren’t going to ask if I’m going to take it?”

            “Why would you not?” She said it without thinking but realized how cavalier it sounded. “I mean, this is you finally being able to take on your own projects and advance your own career.” She paused and looked him right in the eye. “I’ll miss you but this is still all that you deserve.”

            “Jinli, sweetheart, I know.” Taewoon’s nose scrunched a little and she looked down. Tears started to well in her eyes as she heard him take a deep breath to recompose himself. “I just want you to be happy. I know you probably think you’re a terrible person. But I don’t think that. I would have taken anything you give me, but I also know that isn’t fair to you. I’m just simply not the one.”

            “There’s no such thing as the one,” she whispered. constricted and he picked up her hand.

            “Probably. Probably not. But your heart right now isn’t with me.” She peered up at him and saw that his eyes were red. “And normally that would be okay. But I think you should take some time and maybe properly say goodbye to him. Maybe this time apart would do us both wonders. If we’re meant to be, I believe we’ll meet again. After all, that’s what seems to be happening to us anyway, right?”

            Jinli stood closer to him and stared at his face, trying to memorize all his features. “You’ve always been too good to me,” she said.

            He smiled. “Nah. I’m just in love with you.”

            “When do you leave?”

            “In two weeks. They want me to settle in and get to know the place before we start in a month so I’ll be flying back and forth.”

            “The apartment is always available,” she offered.

            Taewoon smiled a little. “I know.” He held out his arms for a hug and he patted her hair. “Please don’t cry. I said I never wanted to make you cry.” But even as she let her tears soak his blazer, she felt his own drip into her hair.

            “I love you, Taewoon. I do, in my own way,” she told him.

            His thumb ran across her cheek and he smiled sadly. “I know. Jinli, I know.” It was a prolonged farewell and she knew she still had to navigate two weeks with him. He pressed his forehead against hers. “I’m going to move in with Haejin tonight. Do you want to get dinner after work?”

            She swallowed and knew that this was his last gift to her. He was helping her avoid the awkwardness of a breakup by lingering and didn’t want the move out to be dramatic or an event. Jinli nodded. “I’d love to.”

***

            Everyone was promoted. Yongguk went from Executive Manager to Chief Executive Manager, mere steps from the final CEO managerial position. Daehyun was now a Chief Manager and Junhong was running his own department as a team leader.

            “They could have at least made you exec,” Youngjae groused as he swirled his ice. “It’s your family’s company, and you’ve done so much for them even before the hiatus. Yongguk-Hyung is great and all but nobody really quite understands the business like you do.”

            Daehyun smiled serenely as he picked up the piece of fish. “Yeah, well, I’m lucky enough to be promoted. The board members weren’t thrilled with the way I handled the home improvement show. They wanted me to do a collaboration.”

            “Oh? I thought the whole purpose was to avoid scandal?”

            Daehyun shrugged. “Maybe they’re getting more with the times. As internet sensation becomes more prevalent in the entertainment industry, they probably want to cater to the netizens’ needs and wants.”

            “Why don’t you ask her? Or you can have Junhong arrange it. You’re both professionals. She wouldn’t refuse if it were for a job.”

            “I don’t need to interfere or interact with her in any way if it’s against her will or if it will make her uncomfortable. Just drop it. Chief Manager is only a step away from Executive.”

            “Yeah but now the shareholders are debating on actually making someone else CEO, and if the candidates included Yongguk-Hyung I wouldn’t feel so bad but he’s more on the track to be CFO.”

            “As long as my father is still the head of the board, I guarantee we will be okay. Besides, I have so many more projects and we’ve signed on the two newest actresses. There are at least five movie premiers set up for this month alone, and I signed most of those. The numbers can speak for themselves. You, my friend, should just worry that the Seoul office’s revenues do not fall behind mine.”

            “Well, tell me you’re at least going to the season ending party tomorrow.”

            “Junhong did this whole thing, how can I not?”

            “Jinli might be there.”

             Daehyun didn’t pause in his chewing. “Then if we run into each other, I’ll offer my congratulations.”

***

            She was absolutely stunning. Even when she was dressed to blend in, his eyes never left her. Her hair was left in natural waves and they fell over her shoulders. She had on a black gown, with the train falling slightly behind her. A cursory glance told him that Taewoon was not present. Perhaps she had felt it was inappropriate. He watched as Junhong came up to her and enveloped her in a large hug. Daehyun envied their closeness.

            He observed the smile on her face and the tilt of her head as she looked up at the tall man to speak. Jongup went over to hand her a drink and he saw her eyes glow and Daehyun felt a rock in his stomach. Would she be this happy to see him?

            “You know, you should go up to her.” Himchan stood next to him.

            “I don’t know what to say. If anything, it might ruin her mood. I’ll just stay away.”

            The older man raised an eyebrow. “Alright. I’m going to go say hi.” Daehyun nodded and watched as far as Himchan going up to her and tapping her shoulder. Jinli whirled around and laughed out loud when she saw him. Her earrings swung as she raised her arms to hug him and Daehyun turned away, swallowing the lump in his throat.

            He was by the bar, watching the behind the scenes run on the large screen. Nothing about what was going on in the video registered; he only watched Jinli and watched her laugh, speak, work, and draw.

            “It’s kind of weird seeing myself and my work being displayed.”

            It only took a second but immediately he was registering the citrus and lily scent, and the voice. It only took another half a second for his heart rate to speed up. Daehyun turned to see Jinli next to him. She was also staring at the large screen and he took this opportunity to run his eyes over her features.

            She still looked mostly the same. His eyes fell on her lips, quickly flickering back to her eyes when she turned to give him a tiny smile. “Long time no see, Daehyun.”

            “How have you been? I’m sorry I’ve been too busy to drop by the set but Junhong was doing such a great job. I’m so glad you agreed to do this project, by the way. You deserve more coverage and recognition.”

            Was there a small dim of disappointment that he was rambling and trying to keep the conversation as impersonal as he could? He couldn’t tell but he also couldn’t stop his tongue from continuing to babble. It was as if he had a lifetime of words he wanted to say to her, but had to come up with mundane things instead.

            “Junhong told me you came up with the idea.”

            Daehyun’s face flushed. “Yeah, well, it was something I came up with when I was in the States and I wanted to try to bring something that was popular in the West back here.”

            “It’s a great idea. I thought the instant commenting online was a nice touch.” They fell into another silence and he squirmed. Never had the awkwardness been this palpable.

            “So what other plans do-” But a sudden arrival had cut him off. Jinli turned towards the commotion and he watched the complicated emotions flicker through her expression when she saw who it was.

            It was probably instinct but Jinli took a step away from him and towards the man who was bowing quickly on the red carpet, eyes clearly searching for her and not the cameras that were busy flashing. Daehyun swallowed the words he had and melted away so as to not create any misunderstandings.

***

            Throughout the night, Daehyun’s friends had come up to her, one after the other, to greet her and to catch up and while she was genuinely happy to see each one of them, she wondered why the main person himself remained invisible. It was probably a bad idea to want to see him, but she at least wanted to keep semblances of courtesy.

            When she saw him staring at the big screen, drink swirling absentmindedly in his hand, she plucked up all her courage to walk up to him. She spoke first and kept her eyes focused ahead, too scared to see how he would react. She felt his gaze on her, intense and a little shy. She forced herself to hold eye contact and watched his lips as he spoke.

            Her heart was pounding in her ears and she barely heard what he was saying. Somehow, magically, her brain was able to come up with responses and conversation came, however polite, however awkward. Just as he was about to say something, her eyes caught the cameras flashing and she felt guilty.

            Jinli watched Taewoon bow on the red carpet and quickly took a step away. She didn’t want him to see them together, didn’t want him to think that the moment he was gone, she had gone back to Daehyun. She dimly registered Daehyun walking away and when she met Taewoon’s eyes, she was meters away and alone.

            He came to her and gave her a small bow. “I couldn’t miss your big day.”

            Tears pricked at her eyes and she blinked them away. “It’s your day too. You helped.”

            Taewoon gently cupped her face and she saw him lean in before catching himself. “I’m proud of you.” He settled with a kiss on her forehead before letting go of her. “Do you mind introducing me? There may be potential clients around here.”

            He was always the stronger one. Jinli quickly dabbed the tears away from her cheeks and cleared . “I doubt there are too many Japanese celebrities here,” she teased.

            “You never know. Besides, one of these stars may want to own property in Japan. Then they’ll know to come find me.”

            With him next to her, she felt safer, as if he was a shield from the what-ifs that could happen when Daehyun was around. For the rest of the party, she didn’t see him again.

 

Sorry everyone for taking so long! I'm still here, still writing, albeit slowly. I have an idea where I want to take the story but I just have to make the next few chapters happen.

I hope everyone is still supporting B.A.P and the members' solo activities <3