Chapter 11 - First Steps

Mistress of My Heart

            His mom visited the next day. She walked into Jinli’s office with a pot and smiled hesitantly. “I hope I’m not interrupting anything?”

            Jinli stood and bowed to her, showing her the respectful greetings. “You didn’t have to come all this way!”

            Mrs. Jung waved her protests away. “I was here on an errand and dropped by. How are you?” She saw the elder woman look anxiously at her midriff and laughed. Even if she were pregnant, a week wasn’t enough to show anything.

            “I’m alright. Just wrapping things up before I move to our other branch. It’s going to be a little difficult. The customers want different things in Busan compared to Seoul. How are you?”

            “Fine, fine.” She was quiet for a moment and then looked at Jinli. “Is Daehyun treating you alright?”

            “We’re both doing fine.” It was an evasive answer and both of them knew it.

            “He hasn’t done anything to hurt you, has he?” Jinli was touched to hear the concern in her voice. Most mother-in-laws took their sons’ sides. Jinli shook her head but Mrs. Jung only sighed. “He’s not much of a husband, is he? I’m going to have to talk to him.”

            “No. Please, there are no complaints.”

            Her mother-in-law cupped Jinli’s face between her hands and she kissed her forehead. “You poor girl, losing your mother at such a young age. We’re privileged to have you in our family, whatever your father’s reasons are for striking a deal. You should treat us like family, and if there’s anything Daehyun isn’t doing. Let me know. I’m sure he still remembers the strike of his mother’s hand on his bottom. I won’t be afraid to do it again.”

            At this threat from such a small woman, Jinli couldn’t help but laugh. She kissed Mrs. Jung and hugged her. “Thank you. I’ll drink the soup well and if you can take care of Daehyun while I’m away, that would be most appreciated.”

***

            The house seemed a bit empty to Daehyun. He had always been used to living alone, and yet in the span of a one week honeymoon, he was suddenly accustomed to waking up with someone next to him. He scowled. He had work to focus on and no time to be a sentimental idiot.

            Today was the day Jinli was supposed to officially move in. He surveyed their room with disdain. His closets would be filled with her clothes and every day, he would have to wake up to her scent filling the room. There was no longer going to be any freedom. But he knew that for the sake of the maids going in and out, he had to sleep in the same room as she did. He eyed the clock. She should be here any minute. He saw the housekeeper downstairs and barricaded himself in his office. He might as well figure out his deal right now.

            Daehyun scratched his head and stared at the massive pile of work. The deal had somehow been cut off and now the other company was trying to once more negotiate. He typed out a long proposal for trading their stocks and then deleted it. This company was supposed to be at his mercy. He checked the division they were working under, the bonds they controlled and sighed. Of course they had to be under Jinli’s company.

            He muttered a barely inaudible curse and decided to use his son-in-law status to butter up her father. He took his phone and dialed the number saved under Cho Stocks. Downstairs, he heard voices and knew that Jinli was finally here.

            “Hello?”

            “Ah, father, how is life treating you?”

            Her father let out a jovial laugh and greeted Daehyun warmly. “Is this my elusive son-in-law? It’s been two weeks since the wedding and I haven’t heard a peep from you. I know my daughter’s arriving today. Have you been treating her well?”

            The question caught him off-guards. He had always assumed the father-daughter pair did not have a good relationship. But he scoffed inside. This must be another way of faking things. “She’s doing quite well. She’s here, packing and settling in.”

            “Good, because I do like to hold a grandchild before I’m gone,” he laughed heartily. “But enough about that. What help do you need from me?” Daehyun was speechless for a second. How could he have known? “Daehyun, you may be married to my daughter, but I’m smart enough to know that you’re not happy about it. You would not be calling me unless you want something for me, and rumor has it that a certain entertainment company wants to invest. But they’re under my name. Is it a deal you’re after?”

            This man was good. He ran his hands through his hair and sorted through his notes. “Well, maybe if we transferred their bonds under our company, we can connect them to a higher network?”

            When the phone call was done, Daehyun was confident that he had a good deal in his hands and faxed the contract to the office. He then went out to meet Jinli, in a better mood. He only felt slightly bad that he was using her, but that was the reason why they married in the first place.

            She was hanging her clothes and didn’t hear when he walked in. “You’re settling in alright?”

            Jinli jumped a little and she gave him a small smile, but he noticed it wasn’t enough to reach her eyes. “Yeah. It’s a large place. I can’t believe I’ve never actually been here before. Eunah downstairs is very kind.”

            “Yeah, she’s the main housekeeper. So if you need anything, just tell her.” He stood in the doorway awkwardly before walking over to her. “Uh, do you want to go get dinner when you’re all settled in?”

            She looked surprised but nodded. “I’d love to.”