Shinhwaland: Day 1

Marry the Princess, they Said

Shinhwaland: Day 1.

I never expected the Prince to get reacquainted to Shinhwaland this fast.

It was as if he had lived here all his life- he is now almost entirely fluent in the language, he has a natural flair for leading, and he picks up everything I teach him quickly. He has yet to make a mistake about anything.

Only one day has passed, yet he has already learned and retained to memory many things about Shinhwaland. Of course, he still has not memorized by heart where everything in the castle is- it is quite amusing to run into him randomly in one of the great halls when he is lost. And also quite fulfilling, since he runs straight into my arms and gives me a pleasant kiss whenever we meet, before I lead him towards the right path.

I should be with the Prince at all times, but I know that their Royal Majesties might want to spend more time with him, and I have my own matters as the Royal Advisor to take care of. Now that I am finally back where I belong, I must once again pay attention to the rigid rules that are in place when interacting with Royalty, even if he happens to be the one I love. And with coming back, I have to assume my original roles as well- which is taking care of all the technical matters for the King and Queen so that they may focus on ruling the land with great fervor.

Finally, I met the Royal Sage Dongwan once more. I am still slightly annoyed at the various incompetencies he displayed during my stay in the Prince's foster world; however, since he did help me get him back, and gave that crystal ball to his foster parents, I am obliged to not say anything to their Royal Majesties. He seemed happy to see me back- he shook my hand greatly, and slipped into my palm yet another box of mints. I rolled my eyes at this, because I know entirely what he is asking me to do. However, I tell him that I shall do it in my own due time, to which he shrugged and told me he is merely spurring me on. I would have to admit- the mints are quite good. I've eaten a few boxes, even if I had not kissed the Prince yet.

He then asked me, with great urgency, if I had brought the locket with me. I promptly fished it out of my pocket to show him, and after I did he seemed greatly relieved. He then told me that the locket is a very important thing, and that I should take care not to put it in a place where it could be found by people with a dark heart. I raised an eyebrow, wondering who these people with a "dark heart" could be, but before I could ask him anything I was called to King Eric's side. I quickly excused myself, apologizing that our talk had to be short, but he assured me it was alright as he had important matters to attend to as well. I then went into the study where the King was taking care of land affairs. The Queen was there with him as well.

They welcomed me with big smiles, and asked me the customary things that they always do. We did talk about mundane things for a while, such as how the Prince's foster world was like, and how he had lived his life. I recounted everything that I could that they wanted to know, and assured them that he had indeed been well-cared for, like they would have surely done if they had raised the Prince themselves. Then suddenly, Queen Hyesung asked me a question that I did not expect her to ask.

She asked me when I was going to kiss the Prince to turn him back into a Princess.

I stammered, as I did not know myself when I was going to do it. However, she reassured me that it is alright for me to wait; since it can only be done through true love, I have to wait until my heart compels me to. And the King joined in comforting me as well. I could not have been more relieved at that moment. I thank the heavens that I have such understanding rulers.

After a few more moments of small talk, the King and Queen bade me out, and told me to spend the day with the Prince, which I gladly obliged to. I eventually found him (after asking a few servants; the castle is quite vast, after all) in the library, quite engaged with a few of the books detailing our land's history. I am glad that the Prince is taking interest in his home world. I did not want to interrupt him, but before I could slip out, he noticed me and immediately came running to my side. I then happily pulled him away from his pile of books, and showed him around the castle and the land.

Seeing the Prince fascinated by all the sights warms my heart. We walked around the castle as I told him what the various rooms are used for and where things are. He absorbed in all the information like a sponge would absorb water; he even had a little writing book of sorts that I did not know of where he wrote notes in the strange language of the world he grew up in. He told me happily that he would one day learn how to write our language too, now that he has known how to almost fluently speak it.

After we toured the castle, I ordered a carriage that would bring me and the Prince to the town. I long to show him the land that I had grown up in, and the land that he is going to rule as the rightful heir to the throne. Before going, I fastened my sword at my hip (it is quite nice to finally have security in the form of a weapon I can confidently wield), which the Prince was quite amazed to see. I show him a few techniques and inform him that one of his classes will be fencing, which he would study under me. He was delighted, though I do not know what he was delighted with; the fact that I am teaching him, or the fact that he will be learning how to wield a sword.

With that aside, the carriage was soon provided and we arrived at the town, where the carriage dropped us off. I took his hand in mine and we start to walk around. I was extremely amused at the Prince's childlike wonder, as he took all the sights in with doe-like eyes. He told me that he had ever only seen towns like these in "amusement parks" back in his world, and they were only make-believe, remnants of a history long past. He could not believe that he is now actually living in a place that he had only seen in fairytales.

Everyone in the town loved the Prince. Little children came up to him and offered him various trinkets, ranging from flowers to drawings to necklaces made out of beads, anything that they could offer their future ruler. It seems the Prince was truly made to rule over people, as he gracefully accepted everything the children offered with a beautifully genuine smile. They all instantly loved him, and he loved them, and I could already tell that we shall have eternal peace under his rule.

After all the commotion has died down, he looked back at me lovingly, thanking me for bringing him back home to this land. I cannot even begin to describe how much my heart fluttered when he told me those words. This has reassured me that it was indeed right for me to bring him back where he truly belongs. I am only glad that he has adjusted very nicely, and is finding everything to be of agreement.

Soon after, we were ready to go back to the castle. The Prince was sad, but he assured everyone that he woudld be back (and we indeed will be; how else could I refuse to take him back?). I told him to go to the carriage first as I intend to check on something, when suddenly, someone in a brown hood passed by me quickly, and spoke ominous words that I wish I had not heard.

Something dark is about to befall this land. Beware, and take good care of your Prince.

I was about to draw my sword, thinking it was the evil Lord Minwoo, but I did not even catch a glimpse of the speaker, only a flutter of the brown cloth that quickly disappeared into the crowd. I could not hope to catch him.

I quickly made my way to the carriage, completely alert to my surroundings, now wishing that I had not allowed the Prince to go before me. I cannot let him out of my sight from now on; I would have to be by his side always to protect him from any harm that might befall him.

To my great relief, he is inside, waiting. He jokingly asked me what had taken me so long. I forced a smile, and said simply that I had to take care of matters.

I did not want to worry the Prince, not when it is not yet necessary.

Though the grave words of that mysterious being left a heavy impression on my heart.

But fear not; I will protect the Prince no matter what, even if I shall be obliged to give up my own life.

 


A/N: So this will be my first and last update until... I don't know, really. I really, REALLY want to focus on the new fic that I've been planning with Tezukai, and I plan to focus on that until I have to go back to school because I really want to at least finish one full-length fic, and not to mention, that pairing has been my obsession until now. So yes. But fear not, this shall not be discontinued! xD