Day 17

Marry the Princess, they Said

Day 17.

The Prince has caught a sickness.

Luckily, it is only the common cold. He had vehemently insisted this morning about going to work, but I did not let him. How could I allow the Royal Prince to work in such a condition? Even if it means disobeying orders, keeping him safe takes precedence.

He insisted that it is nothing to worry about, but I am not taking any chances. I made him lie back down as I prepared breakfast that morning, and despite his protests, fed him while he is confined in bed. I stayed by his bedside and kept faithful vigil until he fell asleep, and after making sure that he is safe, I hurried to the local apothecary to procure medicine that might help speed up the healing process.

They prescribed some strange medications (as opposed to the normal herbal mixtures that the Royal Apothecary usually prepares), and not being sure, I contacted the Royal Sage Dongwan just to make sure that they are all right. He was extremely worried when I told him that the Prince had fallen sick. He told me, after checking thoroughly, that the medicine was indeed suitable. I chose to believe him, as he is more well versed in the materials of this world than I am.

Before I let him go, though, he asked me if I am any closer to bringing the Prince back. I blushed, suddenly realizing that I have not told anyone, not even their Royal Majesties, that I am now romantically involved with the Prince. I quickly relayed the events of the past few days to him, not missing anything important. He merely nodded his head in contemplation. I expected a more... heartfelt response, but I chalk it up to him not wanting to show his feelings about the matter. He once again advised me to bring the Prince back as soon as possible (again, he emphasized this point, which made me a tad suspicious), and cut off our communication for the day.

I thought nothing of it, though, as I hurried back to the Prince's side. Luckily, he had not awoken and slept for a good few hours before he woke up, insisting that he felt much better. I gave the medicine to him, and he gratefully took it. I thought taking care of a sick Prince would be much work; it turns out, I was wrong. Except this morning, he had been nothing but cooperative, and I am glad for that.

Since the Prince was out of commission, I prepared our dinner that evening. Thankfully, the Prince was well enough to eat. I cooked him a simple dinner (a recipe I had gotten from the Royal Sage Dongwan, as I am not well-versed in the art of cooking; he is starting to show his use), which he insisted was a good meal. He told me that he was really happy to eat my cooking, an information I stored away for future reference as I resolved to cook more for the Prince from now on.

After dinner, he was almost back to normal, except for a slight temperature. I washed the dishes and did some more chores, and after I had finished, the Prince beckoned for me to stay with him for a while. And so I did; we sat on the 'couch' in silence, as he leaned on me with his head nestled comfortably on my shoulder. We held some conversation, until suddenly, he said it.

He wanted to go back with me, to our world. Just like that.

I sat there for a few minutes in shock. As I was still recovering, he explained that he had been thinking about it ever since the first day I told him of our world and his real existence, and came to the conclusion that he must go back to where he came from and where he truly belonged. He did enjoy and love his time in this world; however, as the days went by, he felt as though he suddenly did not belong here anymore. And, he added, now that he has me by his side, he is more confident that I will not abandon him when we go back and will show him how everything is done.

I started to protest, thinking that the Prince would only want to return because he is thinking of me and I start to assure him that I would gladly stay here if that is what he truly wanted and that he does not need to force himself to go back with me, but he told me it was not the case. He confessed that he had been feeling this way ever since he was a child, and my coming only cemented and established the fact that he really needed to go back to his roots, his true origins. He wants to rediscover who he really is.

He asked me for a few days in order for him to say goodbye to his family and everyone he has known in this world. I, of course, happily obliged. I am glad that my quest will finally come to an end soon; though I do not feel right as it seems as though I forced the Prince into this. However, he assured me that this is indeed what he wants to do and he made the decision on his own, not influenced by my words or actions or any feelings he has towards me.

I am still quite apprehensive about his sudden decision, but he emphasized once more that he had been thinking about this for quite a while now. My mind is still not free of doubts, so I tell him that he should think about it tonight first and give me his final answer tomorrow. He replied that it is 'fair enough', and our conversation ended there.

I cannot believe that I am finally going to complete my quest tomorrow. I am excited to go back as I have longed for Shinhwaland, but I must make sure that this is what the Prince truly wants. Because in the end, it is not about me, but him.

I bid him good night and turned to go to my room, but I was stopped by him clutching my sleeve. I turn to him, and in the most adorably shy voice as possible (forgive me for describing Royalty in such a manner, again), he asked me to sleep with him.

I am to share a bed with the Prince. Such a thought never crossed my mind, but here I am, suddenly faced with it. I asked him if it is what he truly wanted to do, and he replied in the affirmative. It is all right if Royalty ordered me to, I am sure. I am going to do nothing wrong except to keep him warm at night.

I climbed in next to him, careful to keep a considerable distance so as to make sure that I am not intruding upon his personal space. My heart was beating wildly in my chest as if it was ready to jump out at any minute. However, the Prince slipped into my arms naturally, as he wrapped his arms around my waist, rested his head upon my chest, and draped his legs over mine, our bodies locked perfectly like two pieces of a puzzle. He giggled softly at how fast my heart was going, as he told me I had no need to be nervous. I let out the breath I did not realize I was holding, as I slowly relaxed in his presence. He had made himself entirely comfortable; then, I must do the same.

I was slowly lulled to sleep by his even, peaceful breathing, all traces of his sickness gone. I kissed the top of his head goodnight, to which he responded with a satisfied sigh.