Day 24

Marry the Princess, they Said
Day 24.
 
I do not know if I can trust the Royal Sage Dongwan.
 
He has been wrong numerous, numerous times. In fact, I think he has gotten more things wrong than right. I do not want to risk the Prince's life because of his failed instructions.
 
I am to drive the key into the Prince's heart, and turn it three times. I am effectively endangering the Prince's life if I do it wrong; however, if I manage to get it right, we would be on our way to Shinhwaland in no time, preferably with him wrapped in my arms.
 
One thing rests true: I do not want to bet the Prince's well-being, life, on something I am not sure about.
 
I contacted the Royal Sage Dongwan once more, and asked him to give his crystal ball to the King so I may talk to him in private. The King was kind and understanding- the Royal Sage Dongwan had told him of all that has transpired, so I need not explain everything to him from the very beginning. I then asked him for advice, since I told him of the Royal Sage Dongwan's... various incompetencies. However, without even hesitating, the King said that I should indeed trust the Royal Sage Dongwan and do what he has told me to do.
 
He reasoned that the locket was designed to be that way from the very start- all members of the Royal Family had a certain trinket to them that only they (and the one they had given their heart to) could open. He showed me his own trinket, a small tinderbox, that contained something similar to the key (though what it contains exactly, I am not allowed to know). And the purpose of that certain something is to be the last resort to something grave, though what it is they themselves do not know. In the Prince's case, it is the last resort to getting his memories back, and through the use of the key, he might even get his memories from when he was still living in Shinhwaland back.
 
I then asked the King for approval, as I trust his words beyond all else. If he tells me to do it, then I shall. He looked straight at me, and gave me a small nod. Now I am 100% confident that I am supposed to do this, as the King has given me permission, as I am sure that he would not readily endanger his own offspring's life no matter what happens.
 
I immediately went over to the Prince's foster parents' house, where I found him playing with Fany. It was a very serene and wonderful sight, and though I long to run to him and hold him in my arms, I knew I had to take care of this difficult task at hand first. I asked for his mother, who he dutifully fetched; however, I cannot shake off the suspicious glances he throws at me, as they pierce through my very being and soul. No matter; in a few moments, I shall have his loving gaze set upon me once more.
 
I explained what I had to do this foster mother, who listened well and nodded throughout my speech. I could tell that she was not too keen on letting her foster son be stabbed, either; however, if this is for his own good, then she approves of it. We planned how to go about with the task at hand, as I would need the Prince to be very still so that I make sure that I do not miss the vital point in his heart, as anything else might be detrimental to his life.
 
In the end, the Prince's foster mother decided to put a sleeping drug in his afternoon tea. She immediately called him in, and while the Prince is still quite distracted with Fany, who he had brought in with him, she made the tea especially for the Prince.
 
I watched carefully as he drank it all, waiting for the effect to take place. Pretty soon, the Prince felt extremely drowsy, and collapsed on the couch. I fixed his position so that he is flat on his back, and taking out the key, I positioned it right over the center of the heart.
 
I took a deep breath, and after mumbling a little prayer, I pushed down hard. The Prince jolted awake, a pained, shocked expression on his face as he tried to claw at my hands. His foster mother kept him at bay, while I, with much difficulty, turned the key once. Twice. Three times. It was hard to ignore the look of immense pain the Prince gave, but I mustered all the willpower I have by telling myself that it would all be over soon.
 
Suddenly, a blinding light filled the room akin to the light that appeared when the crystal ball flashed danger. After we had recovered our sight, I found the Prince lying down peacefully where I left him, all trace of the key that I had cruelly stuck in him gone, and no wound nor blood in its place. I held his hand tightly, praying to all the gods I knew for him to wake up all right. After what seemed like the longest minutes of my life, he started to stir.
 
I hover over him, wanting to be the first one he sees when he wakes up. His eyes finally opened, as they spent a few seconds trying to focus on my face. And then, to my utter relief, he broke into a small smile and uttered the one word I had so longed to hear.
 
Choongjae.
 
Without thinking, I pulled him into a tight hug, to which he yelped in surprise and pain. I quickly let go and apologized for letting my excitement and relief control me. He merely chuckled in his usual way, as he gave me a small peck on the cheek.
 
I am glad that he is now back to normal, and everything will proceed as planned. I offered to let him stay another night here and leave for Shinhwaland tomorrow; he agreed heartily as I saw his foster mother's face light up in happiness as well. I turned with the intent to leave them on their own on the Prince's (real) last night, but the Prince stopped me. He asked me to stay with him. I looked towards his foster mother for permission, which she gave to me with a kind smile and a pleasant nod.
 
I will truly miss the Prince's foster family. Outside of the King and Queen, they are the one of the kindest people I have ever met in my life. But alas, all good things must come to an end, to make way for new and better beginnings.
 
For now, I am but glad that everything turned out all right, and I am finally nearing the end of my quest!