Sinking Ship

Hi, I'm Your Fiancée

 

He rubbed his temples, sighed and looked over the scattered papers on his desk once more. Sun creeping through the blinds was the only source of light in the dim room. Light and headaches did not, under any circumstances, mix well with him. He didn't need any more obstacles stopping him from finding a sure fire solution for the company. If he didn't, his corporation would surely go under in less than six months. If he didn't, it would only be a matter of time until his family, let alone the thousands that worked for him, would find themselves without a roof over their heads. If he didn't - he stopped not wanting to think about it anymore. Covering his face with his hand, he pressed the buzzer.  

"Hyorim-ssi, get me the GangJeom Group" 
"Sir?" the voice on the other end asked
"I've called every connection we know, we need to try them again" He explained, his voice exhausted. He had
hardly slept or left the office since last night.
"Yes, Mr. Jeon" 

Jeon Hyun Bae scanned the tan walls trying keep his mind off the ringing sound coming through the receiver. While tapping his finger tips on the grand mahogany desk, his eyes landed on his family picture. He smiled - just slightly - but it was the first time he had smiled in a matter of weeks. This picture was taken at his nephew's tenth birthday. How could everything have changed so much in a mere two years?

"Good afternoon, you have reached the GangJeom Group" The secretary's voice snapped him out of his thoughts.
"Yes, this is Jeon Hyun Bae of Sharp Software. Is Mr.Lee in?" He tried not to let the desperation on his voice show.
"I'm sorry sir, he's in a meeting at the moment. . . is this by any chance about the partnership, Mr. Jeon? I've been told to tell you that we are still looking over your proposal. But, I will tell Mr. Lee that you tried to reach him." 
Thank you, agassi. Have a nice day." 

Hyun Bae hung up the phone before the secretary could return the greeting. This was the best new he'd heard all day, they were reviewing his proposal! It may have meant nothing, but at least they're giving it the time of day. There was a small chance that everyone's jobs could be saved! In a slightly brighter mood, Hyun Bae walked over to the window and opened the blinds only to have them closed just as fast.
Ouch! Migrane... right
He mentally kicked himself and rested his eyes once again at his family picture, this time focusing on a brown haired girl with a gummy smile. 
I will secure a future for you . . . Hyosung-ah. Whatever it takes.
 
Hyosung's POV

I gazed out the window and then closed my eyes. The sun felt warm on my skin.  
 
"Psssstt!! Hyosung, what did you get for number six?"I turned towards a bright-eyed Sunhwa sitting beside me. 
"Uhmm I don't think I got that one either" I said flipping through my biology binder only to find number six to be blank as well. Sunhwa straightened out the creases of her uniform's light brown skirt. 
"Awwhh! I don't wanna take this binder home for homework" She whined. 
Almost as if on cue, Zinger spun around from her seat to face the girls behind her. "Analogous features are structures of organisms that are superficially similar, but have different evolutionary origins"
Sunhwa and I stared at her blankly
"It's the answer to number six, guys." She said sticking out her tongue.
"What did you do? Memorize the whole textbook?" The girl sitting next to her questioned as she pulled Zingers worksheet close enough to copy it. 
"Pass it back here after, Jieun" 
"There's no use, Sunhwa. The bells gonna ring in like 2 seconds" I said while packing up my books. 
"Kay, screw this. I'm searching it up when I get home" Sunwha said, tossing all her books into large black leather tote.

Just as I had predicted, the bell sounded marking the end of the day. 
"What's the combination again? I forget" Jieun was tugging at our locker trying to force it open. This was the very reason I shared a locker with her, she couldn't be bothered to remember 3 simple numbers.
"27, 42, 15" I said twisting the lock. 
"Oh right! I even have it here on my phone" She pointed to the screen on her white Blackberry Torch. Jieun just got her first phone a few months ago and she's constantly on it. Her parents are the strict type so it took them a while to finally give in. 
 
I was trying to negotiate my textbook out of our messy locker while Jieun was busy texting away to half the school. I guess it's my fault the locker was so disorganized. I throw all my stuff in there without thinking about where it'll land. Jieun only uses the locker to dump her books in. I've got half my house in there; lotion, bags, food you name it. It's one of the only places that I don't bother to keep clean. Finally claiming victory over the locker, i pulled my textbook out. I must've pulled harder than i needed to, or maybe I tripped over Jieun's bag. Anyways, I ended up flying backwards into the busy hallway.
 
"What the--!!" He cried spilling his coke onto the floor beside me. 
"Watch it" His aura was cold, but i could tell that he was more upset about the spilt drink than anything else.
"OMO, I'm so sorry!!" I apologized, quickly getting up to avoid the coke  which was now spreading across the floor. He walked away before he could see me bow a few times. 
"Don't worry about it. He's fine, just cranky", said his friend cheerfully. Was he always there? I hadn't noticed him. The friend offered me a smile and ran up ahead to catch up with the guy i bumped into. Confused, I dumbly stared at their backs walking away from me.
"Do you know who that was??!!!?!" Gasped Jieun pulling me out of the death trap that was the high school hallway. 
Before i could give it my best guess, she cut me off excitedly, "That's Yong Junhyung and Yang Yoseob FROM B2ST!!!"
"Junhyung and Yoseob? B2ST... that's like a group of guys right?" The names sounded familiar, if only I paid more attention whenever Sunhwa babbled on about boys.
"B2ST? That's THE group of guys! Junhyung's dad owns some company that does constrution or architecture and they say one Yoseob's parents is a famous singer. You can't even imagine what the rest of their connections are!!!" Jieun gave me a look of disbelief.
"I guess we should've known more about them" I mused
"Uhh everyone but you already knows everything about them." Jieun replied in a teasing tone.
 
I dropped my bag beside the door entrance and took off my school blazer as soon as I got home. I could hear voices from the tv travelling down the grande hall bouncing off the marble floors. I peered into the main room, approaching with caution. The blinds were open, letting the full power of the sun in. No one's usually home at this time, I didn't get it.
 
"Appa? You're here?" My voice sounded more shocked than I felt. My father was sitting on the couch watching the latest drama. His legs were propped up on the glass coffee table beside a bottle of Advil.
"How was school Hyosung-ah?" He had a smile on but his eyes were tired.
"It was... okay. Rough day at work? How is everything holding up?" I asked
"Holding up" He repeated, "We're fine, don't worry. I've got it under control." Appa doesn't want me to fret over the software company, but its hard not to think about it when you hear of companies foreclosing everyday. I know we're on a sinking ship.
"Appa, you know I watch the news right?" I said plopping onto the seat beside him.
"I told you, everything's fine" 
This time his voice was assuring. I let it go and reached my hand into the popcorn bowl sitting beside him.
 
                                        
LEE RESIDENCE:
 
"What are you going to do with your boy!?" Lee Chin Hae demanded slamming his hands on the dining room table. His question was no joke. His eyes were ablaze.
"We're working on it, abeoji. Please give him time, he'll straighten up. I promise" He had been defending his son for so long, but recently, nothing has been helping his case. He needed a solution, fast. Anything would do.
"Give him time? Give him time?!!?!" Chin Hae let out a laugh. "You've been saying that about him for years now, Ki Joon. Look at the way he acts, his grades. Do you really think he can take over this business? We should just --"
"We've got a partnership proposal, abeoji." Ki Joon cut him off. He leaned back in his seat lifting up a thick stapled document. Right now he just needed to divert his old father's attention.
"It seems like a good deal. They called again this afternoon, we need to answer them." He continued
 
Chin Hae took the papers from his son and gave it a once over.
"Sharp Software, huh? Not bad" He nodded his head in approval. "Wait. . . this is Jeon Hyun Bae's company"
Ki Joon failed to see any importance in the latter comment.
"I met him at a banquet a few months back. Said he had a daughter, maybe the same age as yours. . ."
Further convinced his father was loosing his sanity, Ki Joon let out a sigh and ran his hand through his salt and pepper hair.
"Yah, abeoji. What does this have to do with the partnership?"
A smile creeped over Chin Hae's face. Ki Joon-ah, get Jeon Hyun Bae on the phone. Tell him that we would like to meet with him.
 
 
 
Yeahh-Yeahh! First chapter is complete! 
It's a bit boring, but i have to get the ground work done. Sorry D:
I may edit some wording & grammar later. But everything else will stay the same ;)
I also tried my best to make the story look like a wedding invitation.
You know, with the background & the page dividers. . . Anyone see it?
 
Don't worry, I'll update the foreword every time a new character is introduced.
Would it be easier for you guys if I put up pictures for the parents?
Please comment & subscribe!
~  VVIP-ily