Silenced by elfrunaway

❀Unicorn's Rose❀ |Review Shop™| Closed
 

Silenced

by: elfrunaway

Genre: Drama

Main Character(s): Kim Yuni (OC), Luhan, Chanyeol

Contains: Straight

Chapter(s): 8 (On-Going)

Summary: My world is quiet; no laughing, no talking, just signing. I don't have friends, I've never really met anyone, I just have Mom and Dad, but they're both silent, They have become deaf, and didn't want to give me the gift of sound, If they couldn't have it, but what if someone accidentally brings Music into my life?

 


 

 

Title 

It's perfect! Describes in an awesome way the story overall. I don't have anything else to say apart from this. It's just brilliant, amazing. Even if it's actually a common title, it quite shocked me because I can understand why you used it. It simply fits and I love it.

 

Description/Foreword 

The description was nice, but I would have put it smaller because that GIANT letter takes off the magic of it. You had some general errors, but it was okay overall. Also, you put too much information of your fan fic there. You rapidly told the reader what to expect, and what they would read; that's a big no. You should have left some space for imagination to the reader, so he/she can sit down and analyze what's going to happen, and if it's worthy or not to read. For some people your description would have been a huge turn off, and others wouldn't have mind. However, you have to keep in mind that it's better to be in between; it's obvious that you can't please everybody, but to search for that middle is good not only for the story, but also for overall experience.

 

Characterization ❀❀

Okay you deserve one rose because Yuni is well-explained. It's obvious the ways she would react to noise, and to her overall experience outside. You nailed it perfectly, but the others are just bland. You should have took some time to prepare them before putting them in the story. I think they are just there; that's it. They need more, much more in order to be there. I was disappointed with this part, because your title really got me, but reading the characters was totally a downfall. I suggest you to re-read them, and to develop them more. A good characterization is what makes a good story - you can have a good plot, a good idea, but if you don't improve or explain your characters the way they should be according to their situation, it falls plain and boring and that's exactly what happened here. They seemed even unrealistic, specially Kris and Luhan. They were totally opposed, and later they seemed to accept her, and Luhan even accompanied her to her home. That should have been Chanyeol, who did believed her the first time. There were too many things that bothered me here, but those were the main ones. You have a good plot - don't let your characters to ruin it.

 

Originality ½ ❀❀❀

I like the plot, because when we see this theme (deaf), most of the times the child is the one not being able to hear anything, but in this case it's exactly the opposite; it's the parents who can't hear. So I liked this fact a lot. It was refreshing and new. However, it's typical and cliché because she is abused by her dad, and her mother wants to run away from him too but she's too scared to do it, and this is quite common in this type of fan fic. Nonetheless, as a psychology student, I have to tell you that it's viceversa; we tend to take care and to not reject people with special needs, so this annoys me a lot. Obviously, we always have our exceptions, but it's overused and sometimes not that realistic, and that's where it fails.

 
Flow ❀❀❀❀
 
Sorry I am not giving any roses for the flow, but it's just... Too rushy; it's going too fast. She goes out after fifteen years, why? You didn't explain it, and that was a major problem. Yes, she had to do the groceries, but you clearly said that they bought everything online. So what's the point of the mother letting her out? None. Also, the way Kris and Luhan 'accepted' the fact she wasn't a sesang/normal person was a bit too fast as explained in the Characterization section. Other thing that bothered quite - okay no, a lot, was the way Luhan got in the middle of her father's fight with her. Sure, if It was me (or at least a person with common sense), I would have get into it too, because he's physically abusing her, but he did it too soon. I would have postpone that scene to another chapter. Most of times humans are afraid of defending another for lots of reasons, either personal or general, so I felt it was too soon to put it. 
 
 

Reader's POV

The story is good but not of my liking. Why? The Flow and Characterization killed it for me, so I didn't enjoyed it as I expect. I suggest you to re-read it, to organize your ideas and to re-structure this fan fic. The idea, the plot is there, but you have to accomodate it in order to be good. Don't be discourage ^^ because you have what it takes, you just need that push! So I hope this review helps you :D

I give this: