002

Later, at dawn.

 

 

Breathless

 

 

 

 

paragraph+divider+14.PNG

 

 

 

///

I stand here quietly

Watching you eat your favorite ramen

Watching as you stare out the glass wall

I stand here in awe

And I have to remind myself to breathe

Because you’re too beautiful

And it leaves me breathless.

[ Winter. January 2013 ]

////

 

 

 

Kyungsoo checks the digital clock on the counter before glancing at the door. He starts punching the items to the scanner and puts them in a plastic bag.

 

"Are you about to close, young lad?"

 

It takes a little more than 5 seconds before it registers to Kyungsoo that the old lady asked him something.

 

"Neh? I'm so sorry Halmeoni (grandma). I didn't hear what you said," he says with a small apologetic bow to the old woman.

 

The old woman smiles at him.

 

"You seem… distracted today, Kyungsoo", the old woman softly says.

 

Kyungsoo stares at her for a moment. The old lady is obviously in her 80s and wrinkles are very apparent in her face, but the smile makes her look a lot younger. She looks kind and friendly. Her white hair is pulled into a neat bun. In terms of height, she’s just a little over Kyungsoo’s shoulders, and she looks up at him, her eyes glowing in kindness. That’s when he realizes that this is the old lady who comes by every day to buy chocolates.

 

 

"Oh, halmeoni! It's you! I'm sorry I didn’t recognize you!” He says as he takes a step back to make a full bow.

 

The old woman gives him a small, old-lady laugh; the kind of laugh that shows so much kindness, it touches the soft spot in Kyungsoo’s heart. 

 

"No need to be so apologetic, Kyungsoo.  I also may not recognize you any more in the future..." she says. "Are you waiting for someone?"

 

Kyungsoo looks at her before looking away with a blush on his cheeks. 

 

"I-I wasn't waiting for anyone i-in particular, Halmeoni…" he squeaks. He clears his throat, mentally face palming for being too obvious, and focuses on putting the goods in the plastic bag.

"Is it the tall boy again?" she asks as she takes out money from her purse.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes dart towards her, the blush on his face intensifying, and his eyes are as wide as an owl's.

 

"I notice how you stare at his back, Kyungsoo—every Sunday morning. Today is Sunday, isn't it Kyungsoo?" she says, handing him a few dollar bills.

 

She watches as he accepts the money in both of his hands and bows, his eyes never meeting hers. 

 

He punches buttons on the key board and the cash register opens. He puts the money in and takes out the change. He hands it to her, his face red as a tomato.

 

"Kyungsoo, things won't stay the way they are forever..." she says as she accepts the money and the goods. She smiles at him before leaving and he bows to her. 

 

She leaves Kyungsoo wondering about what she told him.

She's right. It's not like I'm really planning to work here forever. And it's not like he's going to come here every Sunday forever. And it's not like we would ever have the chance to talk to each other. 

 

Unless, of course, he initiates the conversation.

 

Kyungsoo rests his elbows on the cashier table, leaning forward to hold his face with both hands, and pouting. 

 

Why am I working at this ungodly hour anyway? It’s not like I need the money.

 

And why am I being such coward?

 

Why am I making such a big deal about talking to him?

And where, in the first place, did I get the idea that he would talk to me or even look at me if I try to talk him first?

I've seen him more than once, and I know he isn’t the type to interact with people.

 

 

Kyungsoo would rather just keep his mouth shut than risk his crush hating him.

 

He is too busy contemplating that he doesn’t notice a tall, lean man in a navy coat enter the store.

 

The man’s face is blank, as usual. He walks directly towards the ramen aisle and takes a large “Extra Hot Shin Ramyun.” He then walks to the coffee machine and presses a few buttons, looking at his watch as he waits for his coffee. He takes the paper cup out when it finishes, and walks toward the counter.

Kyungsoo is still busy murmuring things to himself when the man walks in front of him and puts the items on the counter table, waiting for Kyungsoo to punch the codes on the cash register. But he doesn't look at Kyungsoo. He looks down at his shoes, impatiently tapping his foot on the floor.

 

Kyungsoo stays still at first, wondering if he is imagining things again as he glances at the digital clock. 5:05 am. He looks back at the man standing in front of him, looking stern with his hands in the pockets of his long coat. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen in surprise.

 

The sight of the man shocks him, and he backs away in surprise. His lower back hits the door knob behind him, and he winces, reaching for the sore spot, his eyes never leaving the tall man.

"I—I'm sorry! I wasn't paying attention and I was surprised—" he says as he steps towards the cash register, bowing multiple times, and starts punching buttons again with trembling hands. Kyungsoo has to repeat punching the code three times, glancing at the man with nervous eyes every single time he types it wrong, before he could finally manage to open it. He quietly sighs. 

 

"That would be—", but Kyungsoo is cut off when the tall man takes out bills from his coat's right pocket and puts it down on the cashier table, takes the items with him and walks to the same spot where he sits every Sunday.

 

That certain spot at the corner of the store, facing the sunrise. Kyungsoo follows him with his own eyes.

 

He didn't even look up even when he was annoyed.

 

What would it take for him to look my way?

 

Kyungsoo stands on his toes to see the man at the corner of the shop. The aisle for ramen is covering his view. 

 

This store needs rearranging; starting with putting the ramen at the other side.

He takes out a spray bottle and a damp cloth, moving towards the outside glass wall directly opposite the man on the farther side.  He pretends to clean the wall outside when in reality, he's just staring at the man sitting at the corner with his hands still in his pockets. 

 

This is a better view. Well, better than staring at his back all day. I should've thought about this a long time ago.

 

Kyungsoo slowly starts wiping the glass, his eyes never leaving the man.

Open the lid. Kyungsoo whispers. Shortly after Kyungsoo utters the words, the man opens the lid of his cup ramen. Blow on it. And the man does blow on the cup ramen. Take a sip of your coffee. And the man does. Take out your chopsticks. The man takes out his chopsticks. Swirl the ramen once with your chopsticks. Then the man does as Kyungsoo says. Blow on it one more time before eating. As if being hypnotized, the man also blows on the ramen before he starts eating.

 

Kyungsoo grins to himself, proud that he knows how the man eats his ramen.

 

At least he knows something about that person…

 

Kyungsoo stops wiping the glass as the first streak of light reflects on the man's face. Kyungsoo sighs. The man looks up to the sun and Kyungsoo enjoys the sight as the man's face starts to be calm. It's only at this time that Kyungsoo sees any emotion on the man's face.

 

What could he be thinking of right now?

 

The man slowly closes his eyes. Kyungsoo takes in the calm look on his face, and he watches in amazement as it begins to glow. The corner of the man’s lips curves up and Kyungsoo has to remind himself to breathe, because the man in front of him is too beautiful, too perfect, and it leaves him breathless.

He is too busy admiring the man that he doesn’t notice the coldness outside. Not even when his nose is already turning red.

 

He just looks at the man in front of him. The man named...

 

 Jongin, he mutters under his breath as he smiles to himself. 

 

Kim Jongin.

 

 

 


A/N:

um. I’m sorry for the slow process, I guess?

In my attempt to making you guys see my point of view of the small conveniene store where Kyungsoo works, here is the link to my own //6 year old-like// sketch of the inside of the store.

As you all can see, Kyungsoo was really far from Jongin and don’t ask me how he could still see Jongin properly---maybe because he has eagle-like eyes.lol

and the ing Ramen is directly blocking Kyungsoo's sight. I have also grown a  special hating on it. *^*

And the 3 sides of the  store are all glass walls… so CHYEAHHH.

And yeah, that little yellow door behind the counter leads to the stock room and stairs to Kyungsoo’s room. And yeah, my adorable squishy Kyungsoo lives above the store. <3

If you guys have more questions, please don’t hesitate to comment below and ask. Saranghae.

 

P.S. I’m still contemplating if I should add some side stories in this story for the other couples or if I should publish it when  I finish this one. What should I do guise? *3*

 

It would be nice if you guys would talk to me. Like tell me what you think of this chapter or something... *3*

Please subscribe or upvote if you like this story because meheheheh ouo

 

Yours truly,

-Mira

 

 

 

 

this isn't KaiSoo or stuff but I just have to share it here because mah bbs are looking mighty fine I just want to-----ugh.

I still don't know if I can be as erted as I am in IG  in here.

 

and look at mah squishy Kyungsoo *u* 

//cries at his adorableness//