001

Later, at dawn.

001. Indifference

 

paragraph+divider+14.PNG

 

 

Kai lazily slumps on the single sofa beside Sehun, who is sitting on the far edge of the long couch, and gives him a what-the-heck-is-this-about look. 

 

Sehun shrugs, not knowing why they’re gathered in the room again, either. His face wrinkles in annoyance because of the thought that he'll have to meet people, people whom he dislikes. Well, it's not like he actually likes anyone— Sehun hates everyone. Just like how he does.

 

Kai pockets both of his hands in his navy blue, long coat as he looks around the room.

 

The three singers—Baekhyun, Suho, and Chen—are seated at the center of the long, square-shaped couch in the ‘Pleasure Room,’ as they like to call it. 

Baekhyun is staring intently at his shoes again, as if doing so will keep people from noticing him. Kai chuckles silently. For someone who hates being noticed, he sure knew how to pick a job.

Pathetic.

And then he realizes he's just like that too. Except that it's not the fact that he gets noticed that he loathes. It's the fact that he has to deal with people. And he hates people.

Junmyeon, who is sitting on Baekhyun’s right, is half-facing him, probably whispering reassuring words to convince him that he'll be fine, knowing that Baekhyun is afraid of attention. He’s just being his usual hyung-self. Kai never understands why Junmyeon is like that. It's not like he's getting anything from being clingy towards Baekhyun, who obviously doesn't like the attention he gives. He's just being a pain in the . 

Annoying.

Jongdae, sitting on Junmyeon's right, has his left arm circled around Junmyeon’s waist. It's obvious he’s jealous of the attention his boyfriend gives to Baekhyun, so he clings to him even though Junmyeon constantly tells him to get his arms off of him. Junmyeon hasn’t fully come out yet, and he keeps refusing Jongdae even though it's obvious they have these disgusting feelings for each other. Jongdae gives his boyfriend a peck on the neck and Junmyeon almost instantly turns to glare at him. Then look at me, Jongdae mouths towards Junmyeon, who only shakes his head in response. Kai sees the exchange and frowns.

Disgusting.

He looks away and turns his attention to the other couple that’s being too cute for him to handle. Yixing is currently busy teaching Minseok new bottle spinning techniques, to which the latter gasps and quietly applauds in amazement. They’re both smiling so brightly; Yixing’s dimple showing as he smiles. They’re so sweet it makes Kai nauseous.

 

Yixing was offered a similar job to Kai’s and Sehun’s, but he rejected, saying he’d rather be a bartender instead, even though the pay was much lower. He didn’t mention why, but it was obvious he did that to spend more time with Minseok.

 

He gets goosebumps before he gets to look away.

 

Smiles. He hates people who smile. What a sickening view.

 

Then his eyes land on the couple sitting opposite him and Sehun.

 

Tao and Kris. These two have the same jobs as them, but they’ve been at it for more than 10 years. They’re so much better at what they do than him and Sehun; they’re the main reason this business boomed in the first place. This is why despite their bad attitude, the owner can never fire them. Tao and Kris are cold to everyone, even the Big Boss. They don’t talk to anyone if it isn’t necessary, not that Kai minds. He likes it better if people don’t talk to him. It’s interesting how well they can lure in so many customers without even having to talk to them. Genes, I guess. Tao and Kris only talk to each other a lot, and they do it in their native tongue. They're open about them being gay and everyone knows that. They are very serious about their jobs. Whenever they entertain their customers, they set aside their relationship and act as professionally as they can. All the staff have accidentally seen them making out at least five times in different parts of the building. They're inseparable.

Kris’ right arm is encircling Tao’s waist protectively. He likes showing everyone his possession over him. He has this ridiculous idea that someone would try to steal Tao away from him, but it’s obvious no one would. Tao, on the other hand, is leaning his head on Kris’ shoulder as he plays with his boyfriend’s intertwined hands. He’s spe aking Chinese, low and calm, and the older nods at whatever he’s saying, kissing his head in response.

This makes Kai flinch in disgust.  

Kris’ eyes dart toward him as he feels him staring at them. Tao slowly follows his gaze and whispers something to him, to which he responds in Chinese, never leaving Kai’s gaze. 

Kai's pride is too high to actually look away, so he and Kris end up having a glaring contest. It's only when Kai smirks that Kris motions to stand up and approach Kai, possibly to beat him to a pulp, but Tao quickly grabs his wrist. He looks at him with those puppy eyes that never fail to make Kris do whatever he wants him to. Kris looks at him and softens his gaze, relaxing back to their original position. He wraps his arms around Tao while the younger wraps his arms around Kris’ waist. Kris' gives Kai one last glare before answering whatever Tao said to him. 

 

Kai rolls his eyes with a smirk. 

Love. It's disgusting. It makes people weak. And stupid. 

 

He knows that Kris has never liked him, and he doesn’t know why. But really, he doesn’t give a about what Kris thinks. When did he ever really give a to what others thought of him anyway?

Never.

 

He doesn't give a about anyone.

 

Well, except Sehun. A little.

 

Sehun is the only person he feels he can trust. He’s not like the others, who are either too annoying or who want him dead. They don’t talk much, but they both feel they can trust each other.

Kai likes the fact that they don’t need to talk to understand each other, because Kai hates talking to people. It’s the second thing he hates most in this world.

 

The red door flings open, and a tall muscular guy smoking weed enters with a huge grin on his face. Everyone turns their attention to him, but Kai grimaces and looks away. He hates people who grin too widely. 

 

The man is wearing a black suit. He’s looking at them with those annoyingly bright eyes that Kai loathes.

 

He hates people with bright eyes.

 

Because what the is there to be happy about? 

“I’m here to congratulate you all for a successful year!” He exclaims, while clapping and grinning widely. Only Junmyeon, Minseok, and Yixing are clapping along with him. Tao and Kris are just staring at him, and Jongdae still looks pissed because of jealousy. It’s only when Junmyeon elbows him that he starts clapping as well, albeit reluctantly. Sehun is staring at his hand phone with a shocked expression, and it makes Kai curious as to why that is.

 

The man clears his throat, “Because of this, I’m giving you a one week vacation starting next week!” he says, bothered that more than half his staff doesn’t seem to care at all. “But before that, I’ll be giving you guys makeovers so you’ll have new looks to serve our customers this new year!”

 

New look my . He only wants us to look better for his customers to gain more money. Tch. 

 

Kai rolls his eyes.

 

"And we’ll be having a meal together this morning!" the man says, to which the three cheer again.

 

"I'll pass," Kai and Sehun say in unison, their voices as bored as they are. 

 

“Oh,” their Big Boss says, “well that can’t be helped, right?” he looks at the others in question. 

Kai looks away, annoyed. 

 

What the heck is wrong with this man? Ever since he got married, he's been acting stupid. And it's 4 ing AM, what ing breakfast is he talking about.

Kai doesn’t really like it, but it bugs him less when their Big Boss is being his old Mafia Lord-self, although that old self had him almost beat to a pulp once. Kai still thinks it is more bearable than this stupid, fluffy attitude the Big Boss now has. His old self, that was normal. The one he’s showing now is nowhere near normal. It makes Kai want to puke. 

"Let's go, boys. Eunhye already has the table ready for our early breakfast at the top floor," he says, as he motions to open the door. He pauses, “Kai, Sehun, are you sure you won’t be joining us?”

 

Kai and Sehun don't even look at him. 

 

The man, knowing the two boys, just continues opening the door.

 

“Come on. I don’t want to keep Eunhye waiting,” he says, and Minseok and Yixing stand to follow him. Junmyeon follows suit, and motions for Baekhyun to do the same. Baekhyun hesitates before standing up as well. Jongdae stands on his own, annoyed at the attention his boy friend gave the other vocalist, and starts walking to the door, dragging Junmyeon with him. Baekhyun watches them go and only follows when Junmyeon turns back and calls for him again. Kris stands too, pulling Tao with him. He glares at Kai as they step out of the room. 

Kai's attention shifts to Sehun, who is now tapping his feet on the floor while holding his hand phone with his right hand. It looks like a text message is causing him to react this way.

 

Kai wrinkles his forehead and raises his right brow in question. 

And what is happening with him? 

 

Kai looks at his wrist watch instead. 

 

4:20 am.  

 

Kai clears his throat before standing up to leave. Usually, Sehun would stand up as well so that they can leave together, but this time, Sehun is just sitting there, staring at his phone.

 

Kai finds that weird, but he leaves first nonetheless. Sehun's business isn't really something that concerns him.

And he knows Sehun wouldn't want anyone concerning themselves with his matters.

Kai knows this.

 

Because that's what he would want.