fifteen.

Wedding Belles

Age 5

“Yoona, meet the Li’s only son, Li Jiaheng.” Mrs. Im gratefully said, as she showed the poker-faced boy to her daughter. “He’s just the same age as you! Oh, he’s going to stay for the whole summer vacation here! Isn’t it lovely? You’d finally have a brother!”

 

The young Yoona looked at her mother, and back at the young boy. There’s just something about his blank stares and cold aura that made her cringe, and she immediately frowned. “I hate him.” She ran to her room after saying that, and decided to never talk to the boy for the whole summer.

 

“I’m sorry about that, Jiaheng. She’s just not used to people coming at our house so she’s a little bit like that.” Mrs. Im joyfully smiled at him, and ruffled his hair. “She’ll loosen up in no time! By the way, I’ll show you your room.”

 

Jiaheng, or most particularly known as Kris, was known to be a quiet guy. He doesn’t really talk unless he needed to do so, and he’s given off that cold aura that makes people be aware of his I-don’t-want-to-talk-to-anybody kind of message. He’s not close to anyone but his parents and his cousins, and rarely makes friends.

 

He didn’t like going to the Im’s house for some reasons. First, he wanted to go with his parents because they’re going to a business trip (though they had explained that thing for a lot of times that children are not allowed there). Second, he learned that the Im’s only have an only daughter, and he doubted that they’ll ever click since he’s had enough of bratty girls. Lastly, he’s not that sociable to even go with the flow with Im’s.

 

*

 

“Yoona! We’ll be going out for today, okay? Be nice to Jiaheng!” Yoona rolled her eyes, as she continued to play with her dolls on the living room. Kris on the other side does not even bother to talk to Yoona as he watches Tom & Jerry. “We will be back by dinner!”

 

“Hey, Jiaheng. Why aren’t you talking?” For once, Yoona wanted to know why she hasn’t heard the young speak ever since he came there. “Do you have, like, a speaking disorder?” For a five-year old, Kris wondered why Yoona had known about those kinds of things. She maybe just be too smart, after all. “Are you seriously not going to answer me?”

 

Kris just looked at her, which made the young Yoona’s blood boil. She angrily stood up and headed towards the door, and he could only care less. Maybe she just needed to breathe fresh air, he thought. It was until lunch time that Kris noticed the still absence of the latter, and went to ask the nannies.

 

“Have you seen Yoona?” To his surprise, Yoona’s nanny shook her head. She should have been more alert when it comes to looking after the girl! He rolled his eyes, and searched around the whole house but he failed to do so. He decided to not tell the people in their house, since they would all be panicking and might even call her parents.

 

Though he doesn’t like going out, Kris decided to sneak out to find for Yoona. He then found a playground nearby, and what shocked him the most was when he saw Yoona punch a young boy’s jaw, causing the latter to run away with his friends. He ran towards her, and saw that she is so pissed off.

 

“What is your problem!? You could not just punch someone!” Annoyed by the latter’s words, Yoona decided to run away again, but this time, Kris caught up with her and held her arm. “I’m talking to you!”

 

“So you decided to talk after a week of silence?” Yoona rolled her eyes, and glared at him. “Look, I wouldn’t just punch someone if they didn’t do anything wrong to me. Look at this,” she then showed him a small trace of mud on her cheek and arm. “They put mud on me for no good reason!”

 

Kris unbelievably looked at her, and started to laugh. She punched someone just because she got dirty, for God’s sake! Yoona watched as the boy crack a grin after laughing at her, and once again, she rolled her eyes. “You’re too shallow.”

 

“You don’t care.” She puffed her cheeks in frustration, and stomped her feet. “Call me a brat but I don’t really like being dirty! All those germs are finally feasting on my skin, and they’re just s gross!” She continued to babble, as Kris shook his head by hearing her useless rants.

 

“You have a wide range of vocabulary at the age of five, Yoona.” He grinned, and ruffled her hair. Yoona’s heart skipped a beat, because it is the very first time that someone other than her parents did that to her. “I’m Jiaheng, but you may call me Kris.”

 

Yoona wondered why he suddenly got so friendly, but she decided to just shrug it off. “I’m Yoona, and well, I don’t have much of a nickname.” She rubbed her nape, and shyly looked at him.

 

“Let’s go home.”

 

Age 13

“I can’t believe he just dumped me! That useless piece of shi—“ She noticed Kris’ glare at her, and she sighed. “Good Lord of Cheetos. Go treat me food, Jiaheng.” She crossed her arms, as she used her big eyes to convince him.

 

“Fine, fine.” Yoona beamed by hearing his answer, and lightly pinched his arm. “Yah! Why did you pinch me?” He fixed his things as Yoona watch him do so, and when he finished, he glared at her. “One more pinch and you’re so not going to get your free meal today.”

 

Yoona pouted, as she lightly nodded. They then made their way towards the door, when a tall girl with raven black hair blocked their way. “Are you guys going out?”

 

Flustered by the latter’s sudden question, Yoona could not help but laugh. “Are you kidding me?” The girl looked at her with an annoyed expression, and she grinned. “I would rather go out with Suho the nerd rather than this guy.”

 

“Yah! I’d rather go out with the girl whom you picked on to awhile ago! What’s her name again? Yuji? Yujin?” He looked at her in disbelief, as the latter poked her tongue out. “Ugh, whatever!”

 

The girl could not help but be amused at how the two seems to be too close to each other. “Okay, I’m sorry for that weird question. I just didn’t know how to approach you two.” She then crossed her arms. “And if by chance you two are dating, I do not want to be a third wheel.”

 

*

 

“I’m Choi  Sooyoung by the way.” She introduced herself, as Yoona looked at her features intently. She’s tall and pretty, and it seems like she’s overflowing with charisma. The way she speaks is just too full of confidence, but not in the offending way. “I have been observing everyone and gosh, they’re just so fake and all. They’ll just randomly approach me just because I’m popular and such!”

 

The two watched the latter as she fanned herself, looking as frustrated as ever. They could not help but be amused at their newfound friend, and they’re quite thankful that she came to spice up their life. “Your self-esteem is too high, eh?” Kris asked, as he grinned. “I’m Li Jiaheng, you may call me Kris.”

 

“I’m Im Yoona.” Yoona politely smiled, and leaned forward to ask the latter a question. “Why did you randomly approach us, Sooyoung?”

 

“That is Sooyoung unnie for you, Yoona.” She rolled her eyes. “I…didn’t know who to approach then I saw you dropping by Kris’ classroom so casually, as if you’re his classmate. I also noticed how everyone seems to be so fond of you like, how do you do that without having to offend others because man, I’m good at sounding so rude.”

 

“I don’t know, they just greet me and of course I have no choice but to greet them back.” She shrugged, as she drank her frappucino. “Besides, his classmates are way nicer than him. They always give me free stuffs!”

 

Kris rolled his eyes, and took a bite of his doughnut. “It’s because they see you as their younger sibling, Yoong.”

 

“Yeah right, whatever.”

 

Age 17

“I like you, Kris!” Sooyoung exclaimed, as she looked at Kris directly in the eye. “Oh gosh, this is so embarrassing but I just have to, you know, let it all out because I’m not really into keeping my feelings and such.”

 

Kris was quite flustered as he heard Sooyoung’s confession. He didn’t want to break the latter’s heart, but he guess he has no choice since he doesn’t see her as more than a friend. “I’m sorry, Sooyoung but I like someone else—“

 

“Yeah right, I know, I know. It’s so obvious, you brat.”  She rolled her eyes, and grinned cheekily. “Guess who’s been in love with Im Yoona for practically all these times?” She wiggled her eyebrows, and teasingly looked at the now-blushing giant.

 

“Don’t you ever say that to Yoona, Choi Big Mouth.” He glared at her, but she just shrugged.

 

“I can’t promise you that.” Sooyoung playfully winked at him, as she walked away first from him. She closed her eyes intently as she tried her hardest not to cry, because she expected that this would happen. Everyone knows that he’s madly in love with her bestfriend, and it’s just Yoona who’s so naïve.

 

*

 

“Hey Yoong, Sooyung likes me.” Yoona almost choked, as Sooyoung glared at him. He could not help but laugh at his best friends’ reactions, because it all seems to be so surreal. “She just told me awhile ago.”

 

“Oh, so that’s why Sooyoung’s face was red as awhile ago.” She chuckled, then noticed Kris’ glare at her. “Sorry, take off the foul language. Daddy just got mad.”

 

“I wonder why I have friends like you.”

 

 

Age 23

“I finally got my new job!” Yoona excitedly reported to her friends, as they hung out to their favorite café downtown. “Guess what? I also landed a modeling job! I told you, this face could go on a long way!”

 

Sooyoung could not help but roll her eyes upon hearing the latter’s remarks. “You made us come all the way here just for that? I thought you’re going to get married or such.” Kris glared at her. “Okay, sorry.”

 

“It’s good news, okay? After two months of finding a stable job, I finally have one! I’m going to establish my own agency soon enough.” She sipped on her Americano, as she watched Kris type on his laptop with worry lines etched on his forehead. “What’s your problem, Mr. Businessman?”

 

Kris shut his laptop down and massaged his forehead. “Just, business problems. As usual.” He puffed his cheeks, which made the two make-face at his reaction. “What?”

 

“You look gross when you’re acting cute.”


A/N

5 more chapters and we're almost done! By the way, this is just a snippet of the three's childhood, and how they've gotten close and such. Enjoy the update!