9 - Ambiguity

The Liar(s)

9 - AMBIGUITY

Writer’s POV

“Does it mean…? Does it mean Yoona likes Hae?”

Hyukjae asks himself only not to find the answer.

It really breaks his heart but he slowly responds to the question.

“H-hon… honestl-ly, I… d-don’t know any… thing a-about Hae and Jessica-sshi relationship. As w-what I k-know, they d-don’t k-know each o-other prior entering the college.”

“Ah… I see.” Yoona shows an obvious disappointment and Hyukjae notices that. Yoona wants to ask about Donghae being irritated when he heard Jessica’s name but she holds in. She thinks that maybe Donghae has his own reason.

“W-why are y-you curious about t-their r-relationship?” Hyukjae shoots a question back to Yoona.

“Nothing, I’m just dying to find out why did Donghae-oppa make the review by himself? I thought that maybe he has some kind of problem with Jessica-sshi and…"

Just then, Yoona’s mobile phone is vibrating and then she excuses herself to pick up the phone.

“Sorry oppa.” She apologizes and Hyukjae gestures an it’s-alright-and-go-pick-up-the-phone.

For Hyukjae, he is more convinced that Yoona likes Donghae now. He is speechless but then something hits his head. It’s the very first thing that he wanted to know when he got the text message from Donghae, telling that Yoona is his girlfriend. Thus, right after Yoona comes back to where they were before, he makes up his mind to satisfy his curiosity.

“Yoona-yah…” He whispers.

“Neh oppa?” Yoona responds to the whisperer.

“C-can I ask y-you so-some-thing?” He politely asks.

“Of course… but oppa, actually, I need to go now. I’m just called by one of my professor in Chemical Engineering department. So, if you don’t mind, can we talk and walk at the same time?”

Hyukjae nods and both of them arrange their things from the table. As they leave the library and walk in the corridor, Hyukjae continues his delayed-business.

“Yoo-Yoona…”

He stops walking but Yoona fails to stop at the same time so she is few steps away in front of Hyukjae. She needs to turn around to face the questioner.

“D-do you r-really like H-Hae?”

There he asks his ideal girl.

“Is it harsh to ask this question?” He mumbles to himself but he knows it’s too late to regret.

On the other hand, the target of the question, Im Yoona, doesn’t know how to answer that particular question. In the end, she just counters back with a question.

“What do you really mean oppa?”

“N-nothing, just… I’m c-curious t-too. Hae i-is well-known f-for b-being a p-player… s-so, I’m just wondering w-why suddenly y-you are g-going o-out with him?”

Hyukjae manages to finish his elaboration.

Well, actually, Yoona knows that there is a high possibility that people will question her about this. It’s pretty shocking indeed that she’ll date Lee Donghae.

However, she didn’t have any choice that night but to accept the agreement. She believes that she was being unlucky that night when Donghae caught her in the night club.

“Should I tell Hyukjae-oppa the truth?” Yoona asks herself.

It’s a part of their agreement that both, Yoona and Donghae, will hide the truth from everybody. Yoona admits that Donghae really can keep his promise as she knows now that Donghae doesn’t even tell his bestfriend.

“F-forget it… I-I know it’s j-just too much, s-sorry for a-asking you such w-weird question.”

Hyukjae breaks the silence and pulls back Yoona from her deep thinking. Hyukjae just gave up. He thinks that maybe it’s really too personal to ask Yoona that question. He feels like he just passed a forbidden line.

However, Yoona still doesn’t decide, what kind of expression she should show or what words she should say from until Hyukjae speaks again.

“By t-the way, I-I forget to b-borrow a b-book in the l-library. S-so, y-yeah… I’ll g-go back to t-there now. S-see you around.”

He bids his goodbye.

Hyukjae turns around and leaves Yoona, he isn’t sure now. He wonders why is Yoona looking insecure just right now.

“What does that mean?” He keeps asking that when he hears Yoona’s voice, yelling his name in the end of her question.

“What about you, Hyukjae-oppa?”

Hyukjae turns around again to face Yoona who is still at the same spot. They are just five meters away so they still can hear other’s voice clearly.

“W-what d-do you m-mean?” Hyukjae doesn’t really understand the question actually.

“Do you have someone you like?” Yoona forces a smile while explaining her question.

“E-eh?” Hyukjae blushes… blushes and blushes to death. He never expects such question will be pointed at him, specifically, from the one who is actually the answer.

“What should I do? What should I say? God, help me.” Hyukjae prays inside his heart. He’s so damn nervous. He is scared to be caught up. But then, he thinks again. “What’s wrong with loving Yoona? It’s not a sin right?!”

Hence, even though it’s already like forever for him to think and for Yoona to wait, and in spite of still being in the middle of deliberation, he finally answers his junior.

“N-neh… I d-do…” He blushes even more, he considers mentioning Yoona after that and his tone indicates that he still wants to continue his words.

However… he concludes everything without mentioning Yoona’s name.

“Yeah, o-of course I d-do.” He thinks that he is such a jerk and a loser.

“What are you thinking Lee Hyukjae? She’s your bestfriend’s girl. Are you insane? How could you think of telling her you love her? Damn you Hyukjae!” He curses himself.

“I see… that person must have been very happy for having you to like her. Bye oppa.” Yoona waves at the older. Her expression looks down and sad for an untold reason. Hyukjae is more confused now to see that kind of expression.

It’s surely not a happy expression, or excited one, or delighted one.

“Could it be… disappointment?” Hyukjae questions himself again. Today, he asks himself so many times. Yoona has caused so many troubles in his life, in a good way though.

Hyukjae can only see the girl’s figure getting smaller and smaller and then disappeared from his sight.

Taeyeon’s POV

I’m walking alone in my department’s corridor. I’m in the 5th floor. It’s the quietest floor of all the buildings in my department. I want to go to the mini theatre because there will be a musical performance audition for the campus’ anniversary. Well, I’m registering actually but I will be doing the audition tomorrow so I just come to watch the audition today.

As I walk, I pass this particular room. As what I can recall, it’s a place where students can play a piano, there’s a single grand piano inside this room. To my surprise, I can hear a song is being played. Someone is playing the piano.

I walk carefully to make my footsteps unnoticeable. I take a peek and I’m surprised to see that it’s Lee Hyukjae, one of my classmate in Reverse Psychology class, who is playing it. It’s such an ultimate rare occasion to see him… here… playing the piano. He’s not even a student in my Faculty. Isn’t he from the Faculty of Business and Management?!

However, he played a familiar song.

It’s a very sad song though. Hmmm… isn’t it called “Doue (Why Did I Fall In Love With You?)”? It’s Dong Bang Shin Ki’s song right?! I reassure myself.

Gosh, how can he be so great?! It’s very smooth. I’m amazed to see this Lee Hyukjae playing the piano like a pro. He’s better than every other student I have seen so far.

As I keep admiring the way Hyukjae-sshi plays the piano, I notice that I need to go now because watching the audition is my purpose of coming here.

I open the mini theatre’s door and I sit at the latest row. I don’t notice that someone is sitting in the latest row also. In short, I’m not alone there.

“Taeyeon-sshi.” This person calls me and my heart jumps out when I see him, Cho Kyuhyun.

“Kyu… Kyuhyun-sshi. I’m sorry, I don’t really notice your present there before.” I manage to reply.

“Never mind… are you auditioning?” That question is not a difficult one to answer but I don’t know why I lie, maybe because I’m nervous.

“No… I’m not. I’m just coming to watch actually… keke. You?”

Well, I already know that he’ll go for auditioning because I already saw the list of students that will do the audition for today, but yeah, it’s just for the sake of formality to ask him.

“No, I’m not auditioning also. We have the same objective here apparently. I’m just watching.” That shocked me, he just lied to me. However, it’s ok, maybe he’s nervous also. I just lied to him as well so yeah, no problem with that.

We then continue watching. Nevertheless, it feels uneasy to have just lied so I decide to admit that.

“Honestly…” I tell him.

“Actually…” He says at the very same time.

“Ladies first…” He asks me to speak first but then I’m becoming nervous again.

“Ah… nothing… never mind… sorry. What are you going to say then?” I can’t tell him the truth in the end and so I just ask him about what he was going to say.

“Same here, it’s nothing actually. Keke.” He answers me and then we hear people are clapping their hands now as one of the students has just done her audition. We follow by clapping our hands. I think there’s a bitter smile on my face right now.

Strangely, his name really doesn't get called to do the audition until the very end. Maybe he already auditioned before I enter the mini theatre and that's why he could lie to me before. Oh God, I hope he won't come to watch tomorrow's session. I'll be caught if he comes.

Jessica’s POV

Holy Wednesday! I love Wednesday because I don’t have any class today. I’m so glad… I can sleep all day long.

Well, it’s not like I don’t really have a class but last week, the professor of today’s class announced that it is ok if the students don’t come to the class and just learn by their own. They can only come to the exam. It’s allowed for this class.

So, here I am, lazily lying on my bed in my bedroom in my apartment. Yeah, I don’t live with my parents anymore.

The reason is… nothing particular. I’m just not that close with my parents. Besides, they love my younger sister more than me so I don’t really care.

I’m still so sleepy and it’s still 6:35 am in the morning so sleeping again is normal thing to do.

As I try to go back to the dream world. I remember again my last conversation with Lee Donghae.



Flashback starts.

“Lee Donghae.” I call him, hoping to get a response.

Unfortunately, he doesn’t even try to see who is calling him. He isn’t that far from where I am so I bet he heard me before. He just wanted to ignore me, didn’t he?

“Yah, Lee Donghae, don’t pretend like you don’t know me!”

That doesn’t work. Aishhh, Lee Donghae… idiot! What kind of silent treatment is it? Nobody is in the corridor because everyone is in the class though, so he doesn’t need to pretend like he doesn’t know me anymore.

“Yah, are you really pretending to be deaf?! Don’t you hear what that silly professor just told us? We should make the review and I hope you can be cooperative this time.”

I just can’t control myself anymore so I just blurted out what’s inside my mind.

But hey, it works. He turns around. However, what can be worse? He gives a deep stare. Hatred and anger fill his eyes.

“Jessica Jung… don’t ever try to act like you know me or I know you because we’re done already and I don’t want to have any single thing related to you anymore so you better shut your mouth now. One last thing, I’ll do the review by my own!”

And then he leaves me speechless here.

Flashback ends.


I’m trying so hard to sleep again but the annoying face of Lee Donghae keep appears even when I close my eyes. It keeps me up.

Aigoo, seriously, can’t he be a little kinder to me? He completely treated me like some kind of virus. The saddest part is… I don’t know his reason for blaming me that way.

Speaking of which, actually, I think I’m the one who should be angry over him! Yeah, I really am the one that should go mad. I deserve to be angry, not him.

“Ting tong ting tong.”

The ringing bell starts to echo and it keeps echoing. I think maybe it’s just my imagination but it keeps ringing.

Aishhh, who the hell is visiting me in my glorious morning of holiday? I half-heartedly wake up and as I look in the mirror, I think I still look ok with only my pajama so I just go to the living room.

I’m really curious to know who my visitor is in this early. Really, it’s better something important.

I don’t waste any time to check through the small hole on the door. I just straightly open the door and reveal my guess.

I almost gasp. I’m surprised to see my guess. I never wish to see this person standing in front of me now… and yeah, what does this person want? I can’t wait to hear the reason for visiting me. It’s really awkward now… I don’t know what to say first.

“What a surprise?” I murmur to myself.

##########

A/N
Who do you think come to visit GorJess? Sorry for leaving you hanging there, I know it's a fail maybe. :crybaby: I hope you can enjoy this chapter as well. Thank you so much for reading it. And comments will always be loved! :unworthy: :unworthy: :unworthy: