16 - Unbreakable Vow

The Liar(s)

16 – UNBREAKABLE VOW?
Posted Image


Taeyeon’s POV

“Yuri-yah, it’ll be the last time I’m asking you.” I exclaim.

“What? About the photo again? Aishhh, it’s already so yesterday Kim Taeyeon. Moreover, I’ve told you I don’t know anything about that!” She coldly replies.

“But it’s obvious. The way I see it, it can’t be other people. I’m just trying to help you.” I try to convince her that it’s better to tell me the truth now. I lower my voice because we’re in library.

“Helping me? Let me clarify something here… you’re not helping me! You’re bothering me much more!” She gives me an annoying look.

I still can’t get enough but someone suddenly appears in front of us, sitting there in an empty seat that is actually prepared for her. My mouth is automatically closed and locked the moment she shows her shining face.

“Jessica-sshi…” I murmur.

She doesn’t reply. She doesn’t even turn her head to see us. She’s facing the table. It’s getting awkward now so I try to comfort the air.

“Mmmmphhh… so, now everyone is here. Shall we start this conference?”

No one replies. Omona, is Jessica-sshi sleeping? Ahh, aniyo… she’s just facing down to the floor. I elbow Yuri who is beside me to start the meeting but she refuses. I think she’s still mad at me for being… hmmm… too concern about the photos. I don’t see any reason why she needs to be mad though. Oh well, there is, I caught her.

“Emmm… Jessica-sshi, are you there? I mean, can you hear me?”

I try not to sound sarcastic. I really try.

She lifts her head. She doesn’t say anything. However, she nods as her sign for me that she’s listening and I can start this conference. Aigooo, what a real princess?! Hmmm, a gorgeous one actually. I bet she’s even prettier if she smiles. Ok, what am I talking about?!

Is it suddenly winter or it’s because Jessica-sshi’s presence that the air feels cold. Am I too much?! Aishhhh, I should start this meeting. I don’t have much time since I need to go to the mini theatre again later.

“Ok then, let’s start our meeting.”

And so we spend our times with Yuri being so silent and Jessica-sshi being so reactionless. I was really talking with myself. All the things that I said is, “Ok guys, that’s what I think, what about you two?”. They’ll reply me with silent or “Ahh I see.” otherwise they’ll only nod.

I try to play safe so I just forgive them at first and I would just continue saying something like, “Ok, if both of you still don’t have any opinion, I’ll give my other opinion. You can in though whenever you want. Ok?” or “If you can’t think of any idea, let’s read some materials and journals then.”, it’s really-really pissing me off actually.

Isn’t this assignment given to us so we can hear others’ perspectives?! This way, it’s really wasting time actually. It’s really such useless 1 hour and 40 minutes discussion. We reach nowhere. We don’t make any progress on our assignment. Of course it’s a better description to tell that we don’t make any… more like we don’t even start.

I also ought to go now for the musical meeting and practice. 

“Jessica-sshi, Yuri-yah… I have another meeting now to attend to and I’m so sorry for that. I’ll take my leave now.”

I’m about to go when Yuri exclaims.

“Yah! Then what are we going to do now?”

Aishhh, this girl. Isn’t it obvious?!

“Well, I think you can continue reading or discussing. I’m out from this for now but we’ll have another appointment right?! Good luck!”

I say to both of them only to get another annoying reply from Kwon Yuri when I already tried to be nice.

“But Taeyeon-ah… do you really need to go? I mean, this is a group assignment, you can’t leave us.”

“Well, I need to go and I’m sorry. Besides, I don’t have any intention to stay talking with a statue.”

Filled with dejection, I blame Yuri for everything. Partly, I blame myself but I need to do this no matter what.

“I have musical performance to do… and it’s far better than posting scandalous photos all around the campus!” I stare at Yuri and she stares back at me. 

I totally forget Jessica-sshi is there and I just let the words slip. How can my mouth leaked at times like this? I quickly walk away from our table, heading to the exit door. I know I was wrong and I’ll surely apologize later. Omo, I’m sorry Yuri-yah, stupid me.

Jessica’s POV

It sounds like a whisper but I hear it correctly. My ears won’t deceive me.

Soon after Taeyeon-sshi gone from my sight, the silence comes to replace her. I decide to break the silence.

“Tell me Yuri-sshi, is it true?” I ask her.

“What?” She glances back at me.

“Is what Taeyeon-sshi just said true? Are you the one posting the photos?” I coldly ask her again. She looks like speechless. I can’t force her though. I don’t know why. I just couldn’t force her maybe because it’s still not proven. It’s still an accusiation after all. I can’t believe Taeyeon-sshi just like that right?!

And yeah, of course she won’t answer me. Liar will stay lying no matter what. No criminal admits its crime so I decide to leave as well.

“Well then, I’m going to. Just inform me again about the time and place if we’re still going to do the survey and finish the assignment. Thanks.”

With that, I take my leave but she stops me. I actually don’t really care if it’s really her who committed the indignity or not. But what she says next makes me more curious and eager to know the details. It’s just because she mentions my name there like I have something to do with the scandal itself.

“If I admit it… will you be happy Jessica-sshi?”

Yes, she suddenly says it. She lowers her tone of course. However, happy? What does she mean? It’s really itching.

“Ehhh? Seriously, I don’t understand what you just said.”

I say it, controlling my own volume. I face her now who is standing behind the table.

“It’s me. It’s me who took the photos and posted them. I admit it.” She says to me with her eyes looking right at my own.

“I was particularly walking around, near that garden. It was suddenly raining and as I looked for a shelter, I saw Donghae-sshi there, standing alone.”

She starts explaining the details now.

“I thought he was just standing but then I noticed that he was observing… and completely hurted by the scene in front of him.”

She stops again… she asseses me I think. She tries to read my expression and probably waits for my reply but I just keep silent. I know she still has something to reveal.

“I captured those moments and really, I didn’t intend to spread those photos at first. However, I changed my mind and it’s because of you, Jessica-sshi. Honestly, I didn’t put the blame on you but I really did that for you.”

“For me? What the heck are you talking about? Are you crazy?”

“Crazy? No! I’m totally not.” She quickly replies me.

“Then what’s that supposed to mean? How is this related to me? Come on, you are talking non sense here.” I don’t waste anytime to ask for more afterwards.

Suddenly, I am heated up, of course I am. We still talk and exclaim with low volume though. I think both of us don’t want to cause such a fuss in the library. It won’t be a wise decision.

“Jessica-sshi, don’t play and act like a dumb there. I know it… I know that you cried because of them that day. You cried because of Yoona-sshi and Donghae-sshi right?!”

I’m more heated and burnt. I’m so angry and I think she can feel it.

“Why? You look mad like I did something unbeneficial for you! I’m helping you right? I’m taking revenge for you. Shouldn’t you be happy instead of mad?”

I can’t tolerate it anymore. I know it’s too emotional to do this but I can’t undo it. I can’t restrain myself anymore. I can’t resist myself from stepping towards her.

“PLAKKK!!!”

I slap her. I really slap her her left cheek. Somehow, I regret it. I feel guilty as well but it’s too late now to change my mind and decision.

“I haven’t ever messed your life so you better don’t mess my life as well!” I take some air, inhaling before continuing. 

“How can you say that? How can you state that on behalf my vengeance, you posted those photos? Don’t ever use me as your shield Kwon Yuri!!!”

I take another breath.

“Do you even know the real reason I cried that day? Huh?! On top of that, who are you to do this to them? I never damn hell asked you right?”

I pause for some seconds and I talk again to the frightened girl. I am whispering actually judged by my volume.

“I’m not interested on your reasons but if you think I want to be your friend because you did this for me, then begone with your fantasy! I’m quitting making friends with someone like you!”

I turn my whole body then finally leave her there. I bet she’s crying alone now on the table. I can’t believe this. How dare she did that to them for my sake? Just a week ago I think she’s someone nice and kind but then… whatever. I need some fresh air.

But it’s just too pathetic for me. As I’m passing by a group of girls, there are five of them actually, I hear them badmouthing Im Yoona and Lee Hyukjae. It’s already yesterday so why can’t these people stop?!

It’s ironic for me to say that I don’t like messing up others’s life when I realize I am standing in front of these girls.

The five girls stare at me. I stare back at them. I just start threatening them and don’t waste my time.

“If I hear you gossiping and insulting both Im Yoona or Lee Hyukjae again, I’ll make sure you don’t need to come to SNU again! It’s better for you to shut your annoying mouths now or you will absolutely look for new college. I’m serious with my words!”

I pause for a moment to assess their expression and I think they buy my orders.

“And if you think I can’t kick you out from SNU, you better change your mind because unfortunately, I can do that! Arasso?!”

Then I leave them. I hope I make a good decision though. I know it’s kinda selfish and arrogant and whatsoever but… I just suddenly feel the urge to do that. I don’t even think I can make them dropped out just because I’m the daughter of SNU’s president though.

I really need some sleep now because my head is going to explode in no time. Thus, I’m heading to an empty classroom.

Unknown to me, Lee Hyukjae witnessed what I just did.

Writer’s POV

It seems like another group is struggling as well to reach such consensus in the other corner of SNU’s main library.

“So tell me, is it wrong to trap the criminal then? Isn’t it useful?” Kyuhyun states, asking Siwon.

“I’m just saying it’s actually a sin to lie. Even though it’s useful, it’s still a sin. Some robbers will say that they rob because they have children or family to feed. Well, they use the money for good things, supporting others’ life right? But still, it’s a sin, robbing is sin, the same goes to lying. Even though it’s a good deed to get useful information from the criminals, it’s still a sin Kyuhyun-sshi.”

Siwon agitatedly replies.

“Oh well, talking about the robbers, then how will you feed the poor children if their parents don’t rob? I don’t say robbing is a good thing, ok… just… they are left with no other option. So tell me now, what your God will do to help them living their life Mr. Church?!”

Kyuhyun stops there and he looks agitated as well.

“Kyuhyun-ah!” Tiffany exclaims.

“Wae?” Kyuhyun asks.

“Don’t say God’s name without respect!” Said Tiffany, giving a deep stare to her counter-speaker.

“Well, I was just explaining to this Mr. Perfect that the police might have no other option so they used the Reverse Psychology method. Besides…”

Kyuhyun moves his eyes from Tiffany’s to Siwon’s, who is carefully listening.

“I’m not sure if Siwon-sshi has never lied in his entire life… neh Siwon-sshi?!”

It’s so obvious that Kyuhyun challenges Siwon. However, Siwon doesn’t spare it. He opts to take it as a joke and replies calmly.

“Well… I guess that’s off from our topic. What’s your opinion Tiffany-sshi?”

Siwon feels that changing the topic will be the best thing to do.

“I think…”

She really thinks… she considers really careful. She also thinks about the words she will use in her sentence. It’s a little bit hard for Tiffany because it looks like everyone is bringing their personal feelings into this matter. And of course it’s not the kind of personal feelings regarding the survey or assignment as well. It’s such other personal feelings that are involved.

“Well I think… we should try to see from different perspective Kyu. I mean, it’s true, what you said was all true. However, it’s still sin.”

Finally, Tiffany comes up with that sentence. It really ignites Kyuhyun’s heart.

“Fany-ah, which side are you now huh? You’re supposed to be siding with me right?!” Kyuhyun suddenly exclaims with lower voice.

“Well, of course I’m with your side but we should appreciate Siwon-sshi’s opinion, shouldn’t we? You were the one explaining about how this assignment will be useful to avoid biases! Right?”

Fany exclaims back, Kyuhyun can see that the girl tries really hard not to hurt everyone with her words. The truth is, Kyuhyun is really scared. He’s scared to lose. He’s actually scared to lose both on argument and Tiffany to Siwon. He doesn’t want to lose to that guy for sure but it seems like reality supports the thing that he’s scared of to happen instead.

In the end Kyuhyun decides to have a break. He spontaneously gives in for now.

“Whatever then, I’m done for today. Besides, we’re going to have meeting in 15 minutes. I need to get something for my stomach! I didn’t have breakfast this morning. I’m sorry, bye!”

Kyuhyun says everything very quickly while arranging his things from the table. Just in a blink, he’s already walking away from their table.

“Kyu… Kyuhyun-ah! Wait!”

Tiffany stands up, thinking and planning to chase Kyuhyun but Siwon’s arm moves faster. Siwon grabs Tiffany’s elbow.

“Tiffany-sshi!” Siwon says, standing unconsciously. Actually, it’s pure reflect. He doesn’t understand why he suddenly grabs Tiffany’s elbow and calls her name. His brain suddenly orders him to do so without warning.

Sadly, Siwon gets rejection as Tiffany pushes away his arm.

“Ya!!! Don’t touch me!” Tiffany murmurs in frustration. She knows it is maybe too much but she doesn’t have any idea why she pushed away that arm harshly. Her words were clearly harsh as well.

“Neh, yes… I’m sorry, just… I don’t know. I mean, where are you going?” Siwon replies, completely lost in his own thoughts. He just played with words, unable to come up with something else beside apologizing.

Tiffany then starts arranging her belongings, she keeps standing while Siwon comes back to sit on his chair.

“I need to chase him of course. Moreover, we really have to go for the meeting. You’re coming too, right?!”

Tiffany explains and at the time she asks Siwon, she finishes arranging, ready to leave the library.

“Neh, of course.” Siwon replies, unable to notice that actually Tiffany is waiting for him to get up so they can go together. Siwon just looks at the standing lady instead.

“Ohh, fine. I’ll go first then.”

And so, Tiffany decides to leave. She leaves without even saying goodbye. On the other hand, Siwon scolds himself. For him it’s so stupid to suddenly grab Tiffany’s elbow. It looks like he’s begging Tiffany to stay with him, literally. It’s just the same to actually say that he wants Tiffany to choose him over Kyuhyun. He knows that he is taking it too far now, too seriously. After all, action speaks louder than words so he’s sure that Tiffany must felt something bizzare or odd about it.

Day by day, Siwon realizes that he begins to show the so-called love towards Tiffany. After neglecting that fact again, he decides to leave the library as well.

So hours have passed and Jessica is suddenly awake by the breeze. She slowly opens her eyes. She stretches her legs, arms, and body. It feels great for her. She checks her watch.

“Oh great.”

She exclaims, realizing that she just missed her last class. She’s always cool actually so she doesn’t care. She’s so used to skip her classes. Knowing that it will be useful to extend her presence in the campus, she now stands up and walks outside this empty classroom, heading to the underground parking area at her campus.

She’s just few steps away from her car when an unknown hand pulls her. Jessica’s eyes are automatically closed by the sudden force. This unknown hand pushes her to the wall.

I open my eyes.

“Jessica Jung… right?” A man, standing in front of Jessica, putting one of his hands towards her shoulder and forcing it against the wall, preventing her to move. She’s so scared now.

“Who are you? What do you want? Let me go! Yahhh!”

Jessica tries to fight but it’s useless. He’s too strong.

“Who am I? Hmmm… you don’t need to know me. Kekeke.” The stranger replies and another guy appears from his back.

“So this is the daughter of our president who likes using his father authority arbitrarily, huh?! How dare you Jessica-sshi?!” Said the second guy who just appeared.

“She’s really pretty neh?! Hahahaha! I should thank my girlfriend for asking me to harm you.” A third guy comes next right behind the second guy. Jessica is so afraid now that she can’t even say a word.

It doesn’t need more time for Jessica to finally ascertain this unfortunate event has something to do with the previous five girls who badmouthed Yoona and Hyukjae. It’s very unlucky that people won’t probably help her now, well the parking area is very quiet though. In addition, individuality is one of the SNU students’ trademark.

“Yah! Stay away from her!” Another voice can be heard. It’s Hyukjae actually, behind the third guy.

These three strangers indeed surprised, suddenly they turn around to see who their guest is. The man who is pressing Jessica’s shoulder pulls Jessica and places her in front of him. And all of the sudden, a knife is pointed at Jessica’s honey-skin face, mphhh, at neck to be more accurate.

“Kyaaa…!!!” Jessica indeed is frightened.

“Shut up or you’ll see blood running from your face!” The man who is arresting Jessica speaks.

“I told you to stay away from her!!!” Said Hyukjae, he’s completely serious. He looks very angry but worried at the same time though. No more the shy Hyukjae.

“Well, we’re not going to leave any bruise on her if you’re willing to take her place, Lee Hyukjae-sshi.” Said the third stranger. Apparently, Hyukjae is really famous now in SNU after the scandal.

Seeing the scared girl and realizing that it can be worsen if he is being stubborn, Hyukjae gives in. The two strangers then start hitting him. His body is still weak actually because of his previous battle with Donghae but he takes the pain willingly. He was actually looking for Jessica to thank the girl who defend him and Yoona before. It’s a good thing that he came at the right time to save the girl from these delinquent students.

Then… some punches land on Hyukjae’s stomach. He can’t fight back. It’s too risky because they hostage Jessica. He doesn’t have any guts to dodge because he knows that his opponents won’t be happy with that.

The punches are getting wilder. Hyukjae is seriously attacked by the two guys now.

His lips are cutted. His eyes are busted. His blood runs from his nose and the nosebleed is getting worse with another punch landed on his cheek along with sarcastic laughter. Hyukjae finally falls down, unable to bear the pain anymore. Hyukjae really has no energy left.

However, few more seconds later, he gets up. He moves stamerringly but another kick landed on his back. He nearly falls on his knees when Yoona’s voice can be heard, calling for Hyukjae’s name from a far. It’s just so fast that Donghae also suddenly appears from the back of the guy holding the knife and in one second, the stranger one is lying on the ground, absolutely unconscious. Jessica is safe now.

“Lee Donghae!” One of the remaining strangers exclaims.

“How dare you put your dirty hands on my friend huh?!!!” Donghae replies.

“Hahaha, oh come on, bring it on!” The other stranger challenges Donghae.

Donghae willingly accepts the first puch produced by his enemy, only to measure how weak his enemy is. Donghae’s lips are cutted by that punch. Blood is running out. However, he enjoys it. He his bloody lips and bites his lips as well.

“So that’s all what you have?!!! HUH?!!!” Said Donghae and just when Yoona arrives at that site, the two strangers are already battered. They’re totally black-and-blue. The last scene Yoona can see is how these two strangers help each other to walk while also supporting their other friend to walk with them.

“Hyu… Lee Hyukjae!!!” Donghae moved to his friend who is trying to stand up. Donghae is about to help Hyukjae. Unfortunately, Hyukjae shoves Donghae aside, refusing the help.

Hyukjae’s knees are shaking but he forces them to support him. However, his knees can’t hold his own weight anymore and he falls on the ground again, almost with his face.

Luckily, Jessica launches herself to catch him from falling. Well, Yoona is about to catch him as well but Jessica is faster.

Hyukjae doesn’t refuse Jessica’s help this time. The blood keeps spitting from his mouth. Hyukjae decides to sit on the ground and lean his tired body on a car side body that is parked near their position.

“Hyukjae-sshi, I’ll take you to SNU’s hospital, ok?!” Said Jessica, she looks really worried.

Hyukjae nods and then Jessica and Yoona help him to stand up straighly. They put him in the back row inside Jessica’s car.

“Can I go along with you?” Yoona asks Jessica.

“Of course!” Jessica shortly replies and she glances at Donghae and their eyes meet. Jessica doesn’t talk and quickly goes inside the driver’s seat. She’s a bit nervous and her heart beats fatser than usual now.

“Sunbae, aren’t you going to?” Yoona asks Donghae.

“Neh. I’ll see you there. I’m going with my own car.” Donghae explains and Yoona goes inside to the passenger’s seat beside Jessica.

When Donghae arrives at the hospital, he can’t find Jessica there. Hyukjae is already taken care as well and it relieves him when Yoona says that Hyukjae is ok and there’s nothing serious. After all, Hyukjae is a strong guy. Those little bruises will do nothing on him. He’ll surely recover in no time.

“So, where’s she?” Donghae asks Yoona.

“She said she has something to do sunbae. She asked me to extend her gratitude to you. She’s really thankful but she’s sorry she can’t wait for you. That’s all.” Yoona replies.

Donghae doesn’t reply anymore. When Hyukjae is done, Donghae offers to send him home but Hyukjae refuses. Hyukjae takes a cab to go home instead, leaving Yoona and Donghae.

“I’m alright Hae! Besides, I don’t want to receive any help from my rival!” That’s what Hyukjae said to Donghae. Donghae doesn’t force him though.

“Oppa, I can accompany you.” Yoona tries to offer some help as well but another declination is announced.

“I’m al-alright… Yoona, I’m so-sorry… I c-can go home b-by myself.” Hyukjae smiles to the girl. Looking to the blushing guy with her trembling voice, Yoona is relieved as well. This is the Hyukjae that she knows after all.

And so, they are parting their ways. They also make sure to rearrange their schedule for doing their survey before really going on their own ways.

As for Donghae, he is on his way to his grandparents’ tomb. It’s the day when his grandparents got buried deep down in the soil years back. Though he was not really happy living with them, he must admit that he misses them so much.

He arrives at the graveyard park. He walks down the park, passing so many tombs, turning on several pavements, and eventually shocking to see someone is praying in front of his grandparents’ tomb, that someone has a name of course, she’s named Jessica by her parents.

Donghae is frozen. He’s still about 10 or so steps away from the tomb but he just stops walking.

On the other hand, Jessica is oblivious that Donghae is watching her praying. When she told Yoona that she has something to do before in the hospital, she meant about visiting this tomb. She always visits this tomb, every week actually, much more than Donghae himself.

And just every single time she’s about to end her prayer… she remembers the funeral day. The day when she felt like betraying Donghae. And there’s no exception for today. Before closing her prayer, she’s once again brought by her past memories.



Flashback starts.

A car stops in the road. Three persons are in the car including the driver. However, the other two persons don’t step out from the car. They’re just watching the funeral.

It’s the funeral day for Donghae’s grandparents.

“Dad, why don’t we go there and comfort Donghae-oppa?”

Little Jessica asks her father. They are the people inside the car.

“Donghae must be very sad now Jessie… it will only make him saddened if we go there and cried along. It’s better to let him be alone. He needs time to adjust himself for losing his grandparents.”

Jessica’s dad is lying of course. He’s just afraid that Jessica will know the truth.

“But dad, it will be harder without us beside him, right?” Jessica pleads.

“I’m sorry Jessie. I’m really sorry but I beg you to just wacth from here. Ok?!”

Jessica doesn’t reply. She just keeps looking through the closed window until all the people in black scattered around when they are going home. When finally Donghae is going home too, Jessica and her dad step out from the car and head to the tomb.

They pray… and suddenly, there are three persons come, standing beside them and praying as well. There are a grandfather, a grandmother, and their granddaughter.

“Are you late too?” A little girl that just came with her grandparents asks Jessica.

“Hmmm, no actually, my dad and I decide to pray after the funeral ceremony ended.” Jessica replies.

“Ahhh, I see… my name is…”

Flashback ends.


Jessica can’t recall that little girl’s name. That little girl is around her age as well and as what Jessica can remember, her grandparents were the friends of Donghae’s grandparents. They came late to the funeral because they were not living in Seoul. They came from the countryside.

As for Donghae, every single time he sees Jessica, he always tries not to be swallowed by his own feelings. He is really trying so hard to at least smile if he meets her but he just can’t. He’s just too selfish to admit that he is still mad in love with his forever puppy love.

He knows he already breaks his own promise to always protect Jessica. However, to say that he is really breaking his own promise is not the truth though. Every single night, before he goes to his dreamland, in his prayer, Jessica’s name is always mentioned. He may be the one who keeps the distance but he won’t ever forget to ask God to protect his beloved one.

He’s really worried by the accident just right now but now he’s relieved that everything is ok.

“Donghae-oppa…”

That voice wakes Donghae up from his daydreaming. Ah, how he misses that voice so much… coming through his ears, echoing inside his brain, and soothing his heart.

Actually, Donghae almost gives up there, he almost runs and pulls the girl into a deep embrace but he manages to cancel his decision in a very last minute. Then he starts walking again, acting like he doesn’t care about Jessica’s presence… he’ll even act as far as ignoring her, acting like the girl is completely absent when he passed her by.

As Donghae puts a bouqet and then cleans the tomb from some weeds and grasses, Jessica steps backward, unintending to bother that guy. Few minutes later, Donghae starts praying.

Both didn’t expect to meet actually. Jessica thinks that Donghae must have visited the tomb earlier. As for Donghae, He doesn’t have any clue that Jessica actually will come as well.

It’s been 15 minutes already when finally Donghae opens his eyes, ending his prayer. Jessica is still there, hoping for a miracle, then the miracle happens.

“How are your grandparents doing?”

Donghae asks Jessica. He still kneels in front of the tomb and does some cleaning again while Jessica stands behind him.

It’s the very first time Donghae starts a conversation again between them, moreover, it’s done without anger. Jessica is still surprised, she’s planning to talk to Donghae before but then the guy has started it before her.

Donghae, is also surprised actually when he realizes that he’s actually talking to the girl nicely. Somehow, he feels like he’s thankful to Jessica for visiting his grandparents’ tomb and even praying for them. This thought leads him to be calmer towards Jessica.

“They’re… doing great. Yeah, they are fine. Thanks.”

“Good for them.” Donghae tries not to sound so abusive and outrageous. Well, he wants to mock them actually. He hopes he doesn’t make it too obvious.

And silence comes. Jessica obtains this rare moment to talk again.

“Donghae-oppa, I’m sorry.”

“What are you sorry for?” Donghae asks.

“Of course for what happened to your grandparents. I always look for the chance to express my deep condolesence but you always avoid me. I wonder, what happened oppa?” Jessica doesn’t want to force Donghae because she’s afraid that the guy will avoid her again, but she can’t help it. She’s so damn curious about the change on Donghae’s side.

“What happened? You ask me what happened? Keke, Jessica… don’t act like you don’t know what happened to my grandparents.”

“I’m not acting right now. That day, on the funeral day, my dad only told me that your grandparents’ conditions are deteriorating because of some illness and eventually… they… passed out. That’s all. That’s what my dad told me.”

Jessica comes forward to where Donghae is.

“You came to the funeral?” Donghae is surprised that he asks this question.

“Yes, I did. I came but… my dad told me that I shouldn’t bother you because you must had been so sad that time.” Jessica knows that her previous words are not really such good excuses even though they were the truth.

“Whatever then.” Donghae decides to leave after saying that. He stands up and walks, ignoring the girl again. Somehow, he feels guilty because he always assumes Jessica doesn’t care anymore about him. However, he also feels so irritated by that fact, the fact that Jessica chose to let him be alone on the funeral day.

Donghae thinks that, if only Jessica showed up on the funeral day, then maybe everything will be different today as if nothing bad really happened. He knows it is so childish to think that way, but for years, the hatred inside his heart is already accumulated and it can’t be easily erased after all. Hence, when Jessica appeared again in his life few years ago, it’s too late to change his venom.

One thing for sure now, he is convinced that actually Jessica is clueless about the conflict between their grandparents and it’s better to make her staying harmless as ever from this problem. Thus, Donghae doesn’t intend to spill out the truth to Jessica.

However, he still holds the grudge for sure. Still, even though Jessica is not the one to be blamed which is absolutely she isn’t, she’s still a part of that family, the family that destroyed his family.

Thinking logically, it’s plausible to avoid her after all. Jessica is, undeniably, the granddaughter of his grandparents’ mortal enemy. People may say that if you love someone then no matter what happens and whatever the obstacles, love will overcome everything. However, those people never think about how it really feels to be Donghae. He may love Jessica with all of his heart but how can he forgets about his grandparents’ death?!

It’s absurd for him to say that he should forget about the past and move on and get Jessica again.

“Donghae-oppa!!!” Jessica chases Donghae but the latter ignores her of course.

“Please tell me… what really happened? There must be something happened so you change like this right?!” Said Jessica, while running from Donghae’s back.

Donghae keeps walking but before he steps on the last downstair, Jessica hugs him.

“Please… I beg you… What I did wrong that you become like this oppa?”

Donghae enjoys the hug actually, he wants to enjoy it longer but then he decides to break the hug by holding Jessica’s hands and put them down.

Donghae turns around to face the now-crying girl.

“You did nothing wrong Jessica. You never did…” He pauses, taking some breath.

“The only wrong thing is… I’ve already fallen in love with you when I’m not supposed to.” Donghae finally confesses.

“Why are you not supposed to love me? Why? Isn’t it clear that I love you too?!” Jessica makes another confession.

Donghae knows he can’t argue anymore. It’s too painful for both of them so he decides to turn around again and go to his car. He starts the engine and then leaves.

Jessica is unable to move from where she stands. She just continues crying there, with so many questions and anxieties inside her head.

Someone’s POV

Tonight, another life will be taken by me. I’m tired… yes I am but I’ve already fallen too deep that it’s hard to climb back again.

I need some break actually. I’m not in such good condition and mood to kill someone but order is order so I need to do it at any risk.

I never enjoy killing those people for sure.

However, they’re police’s fugitives as well so I help those stupid polices indirectly.

All of my victims deserve death sentence for their underground crimes. The evidences may lack but they really deserve mortality.

As for the payment, I use it for charity. I never use it for my own purpose. Never!

What a noble and glorious person I am! Kekeke. 

Should I laugh or should I cry though?

I know I won’t ever be forgiven. Even when I do numerous charities, they’ll never call me a saint.

Writer’s POV



Flashback starts.

Yoona just ended her piano course for today. Today is a bit different because she receives her private piano courses not in her home as usual.

Her piano teacher is kinda busy that day and finally Yoona’s parents let their daughter to visit the private school of music once.

As for now, Yoona is waiting to be picked up. The other students have left already and Yoona is the only one waiting.

The 10 years old girl is waiting inside the waiting room. She is standing in front of a window hoping to see her parents’ car showing up in no time.

“Are you waiting to be picked up?” A voice can be heard.

Yoona turns her head to find the source and it is a boy.

“Neh, I-I.. I am.” Yoona nervously replies. She’s not a sociable person at that time thanks to her parents. Her parents also put her in a private class where she’s taught to play the piano alone, without other students.

“Me too.” The boy replies.

After that, both of them are staring at the outside through the window. They don’t talk nor think about to start a conversation.

The boy then is about to take a strawberry milk from his bag when a car showing up.

“Ah… that’s my picker.” The boy exclaims.

“I’ll go first then. Bye! Nice to meet you. My name is Lee Hyukjae.”

Then this 12 years old Hyukjae runs outside, leaving Yoona who can’t even reply a word because the boy has already gone.

Through the window, Yoona then notices that Hyukjae turns around and then comes inside again. Hyukjae appears in front of Yoona again.

“Here this is for you so you won’t be lonely while waiting for your picker. Keke” Hyukjae offers his strawberry milk to Yoona.

“Come on, don’t hesitate.” He forces Yoona to take it and the girl finally takes it from his hand.

“Now, I’m sorry because I need to go. Bye.” Said Hyukjae again and he disappears.

Yoona can’t even say thank you. She’s just so confused. It’s the first time someone in her age talking to her. She’s very happy but also sad that she has missed many things in her life before.

And so, Yoona waits for her parents. She drinks the strawberry milk while waiting and it’s pure coincidence when her parents showing up at the time she finishes drinking.

Flashback ends.


Starting from that day, this particular brand of strawberry milk became her favorite. Starting from that day also, she started to think about this Lee Hyukjae. Yes, it’s another puppy love for sure. Yoona then started to kinda stalk this Lee Hyukjae.

However, it seems like Hyukjae was a very sociable person when he was a child. He was always surrounded by his friends that it was difficult for Yoona to approach him and to thank him. Hyukjae was famous for always helping his friends and always smiling at that time in their music school. It also seemed like Hyukjae already forgot about Yoona so Yoona gave up.

Everything changed on Yoona’s first year as college student. Yoona accidentally met Hyukjae again. She was looking for her professor’s room that day when she spotted a guy, holding a carton-box of her favorite strawberry milk.

She wanted to make sure so she went to that guy to ask about the professor’s room and she wasn’t wrong. It was indeed Hyukjae after all. Yoona can’t ever forget the gummy-smile that the boy has. She’s very happy to find him again, her lost-love. It must be fate, that’s what Yoona thought that time.

Hyukjae, on the other side, had totally forgotten about Yoona and Yoona fully understood about that. She just let it go though. She didn’t have any courage and besides, it would be embarrassing if suddenly she confessed right?!

So she waited and finally, she had the guts to talk again to Hyukjae on their first day scholl after the summer break. It was the day when Yoona asked Hyukjae to become her partner on doing their first Reverse Psychology assignment.

A smile is created on Yoona’s lips when she remembers everything. She is in the library right now, waiting for Hyukjae and Donghae to come to talk about their surveys.

It’s quite a long journey for her to finally confess to Hyukjae… on Sunday, three days ago.



Flashback starts.

“Ting Tong.”

The house bell is ringing at 7.25 am and Yoona’s father is the one opening the door.

“Annyeonghaseyo… Lee Hyukjae imnida… I-I’m look-looking for Y-Yoona… sir.”

Hyukjae doesn’t expect that Yoona’s father will open the door actually. He suddenly becomes more nervous.

“Ahh neh… come in.” Yoona’s father replies but suddenly Yoona appears from her father’s back.

“I’m ready oppa. Let’s go.” Said Yoona.

“You’re going out?” Yoona’s father asks his daughter.

“Neh, I am. I told you yesterday dad. Right?!” Yoona smiles and then walks to Hyukjae.

“Ok then, be careful.” Yoona’s father replies and then closes the door. Deep inside his heart, Mr. Im actually wonders about it again. He has been really careless about his daughter. He also notices that the guy who picked Yoona just right now and the guy who picked Yoona last week are different. He starts worrying about his daughter.

Back to Yoona and Hyukjae.

“So, where are we going?” Yoona asks Hyukjae.

“Hhhmmm, w-we’re going n-nowhere actually.” Hyukjae replies while they are walking through the garden in Yoona’s house.

“Eh? Didn’t you ask me to go to a date?” Yoona responds, recalling the text message she received yesterday from Hyukjae, asking her to go to a date.

“Yeah, I k-know… I m-mean, w-we won’t go to mall or w-watching mo-movies. We’re j-just go-going to wa-walk.”

“Walking? Where?” Yoona asks back while opening the gate so they can go outside Yoona’s house area.

“The S-Seoul Forests. A-are you ok w-with t-that?” Hyukjae worriedly asks Yoona while both of them entering Hyukjae’s car.

“Sure! I’m ok with picnic at The Seoul Forests.” Said Yoona, smiling.

“Guk! Guk!”

“Ahh!” Yoona is surprised when she hears that sound before she sits on the passenger’s side.

“Kekeke… it’s o-ok Yoona-yah. I-It’s m-my dog. Its name is Cho-Choco.” Hyukjae explains.

“Ahhh… it surprises me oppa. Keke.”

Then Hyukaje starts driving. He parks the car when they arrive and then they’re ready to walk down The Seoul Forests.

Hyukjae walks while holding Choco’s leash with his left hand while Yoona walks by his right side.

“Is Choco a pomeranian?” Yoona brings a topic for conversation.

“N-neh… it is. It’s cu-cute r-right? Keke.” Hyukjae stares at his dog.

“Neh.” Yoona shortly replies, somewhat jealous.

“Oppa, you always come here with your dog?”

“Yes… I a-always co-come here w-with Hae.” Hyukjae gives his response to Yoona’s question.

“He a-also h-has dogs. B-Bada and Meo. They’re b-bichon maltese. H-His d-dogs are c-cuter actually.” 

“Ahh, I see.” Yoona mumbles to Hyukjae’s answer.

They walk and walk. The air is really refreshing in this Sunday morning. Yoona really enjoys her date. It’s of course different with the date she had with Donghae.

“Ahh.. Choco!!! Don’t run!” Hyukjae suddenly exclaims when his dog demands faster movement from its master.

“Oppa, I think Choco wants to play. You bring its toy right?”

“Neh… I b-bring this b-ball a-actually.”

“Then let’s play with Choco.” Yoona suggests the shy guy.

Hyukjae walks with Choco to the wider field where other visitors are playing with their pets as well. Yoona is following them.

“Choco! Catch this!” Hyukjae shouts, throwing the ball and Choco runs after that ball. The dog comes back with the ball insidide its mouth.

“Good dog!!!” Hyukjae caresses his dog’s forehead.

Yoona, watching Hyukjae playing with his pet, can’t help but to fall in deeper love with the guy. She never knows this side of Hyukjae. Hyukjae is all smilling, all the time. Playing with his dog, he really becomes another person, not that shy guy anymore.

And so, they spend almost 5 hours together including lunch. Hyukjae drives Yoona home after the lunch. He opens the car’s door at Yoona’s side for Yoona when they arrive. He walks with Yoona until they reach the front door.

“Ok t-then. I’ll s-see you a-around.” Hyukjae bids his goodbye.

“Oppa!!!” Yoona calls even before Hyukjae can turn his body. He faces Yoona now, staring at the girl’s eyes. He is blushing again.

“Saranghaeyo…” Yoona simply says, confessing her feelings towards Hyukjae.

Hyukjae can’t help but to blush even more. Well, as if it’s even possible for him to blush again. He’s blushing too much but he smiles. He smiles to hear the confession. Well, who won’t?!

“Yoo-Yoo-Na-yah…” Hyukjae murmurs.

“It’s Yoon-A not Yoo-Na oppa.” Yoona cuts him.

“Ahh ne-neh… sorry.” Hyukjae is embarrassed even more now.

“I… I don’t kno-know what t-to say no-now. I’m s-so happy and t-thankful to h-hear that.” Hyukjae inhales some air before continuing.

“How-however, I can’t an-answer you r-right now.” He pauses again, facing the ground, lifting her head again and staring at Yoona again.

“I-I need to… I need to se-settle something first. I h-have problems to b-be sol-solved.”

Hyukjae manages to say that while Yoona is afraid that she’ll get rejection.

“So…” Hyukjae speaks again after several seconds of silence.

“Will… will y-you wait f-for me?” He finishes this question, facing the now-teary girl.

Yoona doesn’t give a direct response but eventually, she smiles. She manages to keep her head held high even though her tears are threatening to fall.

“Yes… I will. I’ll wait for you. But please, don’t break your promise oppa.” Said Yoona.

“Neh. T-Thanks. I p-promise you. I’ll give m-my an-answer later, a-after I’m done w-with m-my errands.”

Flashback ends.


“Where’s Hyukjae?” Donghae’s voice ends Yoona’s flashback.

“I don’t know sunbae. I also never expect that he’ll be later than you.” Yoona replies.

“Will you stop insulting me?” Donghae teases Yoona but Yoona doesn’t bother to reply.

They both decide to wait but finally they give up. They start discussing without Hyukjae. Seconds change into minutes, minutes change into hours, but Hyukjae doesn’t come. They try calling and texting him but they can’t reach Hyukjae’s cellphone.

Hours change into days, morning turns to afternoon, afternoon turns to night, night turns to morning again. Yesterday becomes today and today becomes tomorrow.

Hyukjae never shows up.

He suddenly disappears. No one knows where he is. No one!

##########