20 - Defying Gravity

The Liar(s)

20 – DEFYING GRAVITY
Posted Image
Donghae’s POV

“Ahhh, ye, ye, I get it noona. She won’t be a full-timer until SNU winter holiday right? She’ll help me as a part-timer in the meantime then. I see… it’s not a problem for me.”

I talk on my cell phone. I’m now walking in the hallway of SNU’s main administration office. I need to check on the possibility of taking a break because I will be way too busy with my business expansion in the near future.

“Ok then, I’ll call her immediately to inform that she’ll be starting next week.”

Hyori-noona, the person on the other line replies to me.

“Fine, thanks noona. I’m hanging up.” I shortly reply again.

“Wait! Wait! Donghae-ah!” Hyori-noona exclaims.

“Neh? Any other thing?” I ask her.

“I’m just curious actually. Do you, by any chance know each other? I mean you and Jung Sooyeon-sshi.” She asks me back.

“Actually yes. We sort of… hmmm… knowing each other. Why noona? Why suddenly ask me this question?”

“Nothing, I just sense it. You are never this careless about hiring someone as our employee but for this girl, you kinda make it easier. You’re so strict by far but maybe this is just my feeling that because you already know her then you employ her.”

“Hmmm, maybe you are right noona. Kekeke. But, don’t you think she’s actually capable?” I give another question.

“I guess so. Ok then. Bye Donghae-ah.” She hangs up.

“Bye noona… ahhh I’m sorry.” I’m about to hang up as well when I collide into someone’s body thus I apologize in advance. I think it’s my fault because I don’t really watch my way. He falls down on the floor and some of his files are scattered around us. I don’t fall on the floor though so I help him standing up again while apologizing. At this time, I don’t really notice that he is one of my classmates.

“I’m so sorry… sorry… really, I know I was wrong. Are you ok?” I say to him.

“It’s ok. Never mind Donghae-sshi.” He grabs my helping hand and stands up. He knows my name?

“Do we know each other?” I ask him while observing his face and yeah… he’s familiar actually.

“Not sure if you know me but we’re in professor Song’s class. I take Reverse Psychology as well. I’m Kyuhyun, Cho Kyuhyun and I’m majoring Law.” He explains to me while looking around for his papers and files.

“I see… that’s why you look familiar to me. Sorry Kyuhyun-sshi.” I start helping him to collect the said papers from the floor when I notice this piece of article from a newspaper. It seems like he made a clipping. The title of this article catches my attention.

LEE BYUNGHUN, THE KING OF UNDERGROUND WORLD, FOUND DEAD

“Donghae-sshi…” I hear him calling my name.

“Neh?” I reply.

“Can you give me that clipping?” He talks again and damn, I’m so drown into some thoughts that I still hold one of his clipping. What makes me thinking deeply about it is the articles that he clipped are all about the dead of these famous people. They are famous, number one, and top “fugitives” in South Korea, even in other countries. However, our country seems never be able to prove their deserved-death-sentence-crimes.

“Yes of course. It’s yours after all. Sorry I’m kinda blank just right now.” I make my excuse.

“Neh it’s alright. I’m reviewing these unsolved cases actually. It feels like our country’s regulations and laws are paralyzed. Keke. Thank you. See you around.” He says and then bows a little while walking away. I return his sincere goodbye by bowing as well. I don’t even need to ask him, he explains his reason to me.

He is majoring Law after all so these kind of things probably take his attention.

Writer’s POV

It’s the fourth day since Tiffany lives in Siwon’s apartment yet Siwon can’t even confess. He’s still afraid that Tiffany will reject him. Well, who won’t?! The fear will always resist his intention to say “I love you”.

They’re not living together though so calm down… Siwon is living with his parents in their big mansion. Apparently, Siwon’s family is helping Tiffany’s family so that Tiffany can live separately from her father.

Siwon helped Tiffany and her dad to visit a psychologist and according to the psychologist, for the meantime, Tiffany’s dad should go through a several comprehensive therapies while living separately from Tiffany.

That’s when Siwon suggested Tiffany to use his family empty apartment. He has another apartment actually, the one that is given by his entertainment company but it’ll spark a controversy if Tiffany lives there. Siwon’s parents somehow feel responsible because they think that they have the fate to help Tiffany and her dad so they are more than happy to offer the help. That way, Tiffany can’t reject anymore and agree with Siwon’s suggestion.

Unknown to Siwon, Tiffany is slowly moved by his kindness and warm care.

And unknown to Siwon and Tiffany, Kyuhyun is more and more getting annoyed by the sudden closeness of them. It’s jealousy for sure. What else?!

It’s so irritating for Kyuhyun to see both of them getting closer day by day.

However, for Tiffany, it’s really relieving of course. She’s so grateful to Siwon’s family and she can’t believe that Siwon’s family is actually the previous owner of her house. She is slowly becoming cheerful and happy-go-lucky girl again. Siwon’s presence undoubtedly eases and displaces her painful and traumatic past. That doesn’t mean they are being in some romantic relationship though. True they are getting closer but it’s not that kind of relationship. They are still your king-of-bragging and queen-of-nagging for sure.

“Ok ok… let’s take our dinner break.” Yesung, the musical director makes an announcement. It’s almost 7:00 pm in the night yet the rehearsal is still not done.

“Here, my manager bought some extra dinners.” Siwon offers some packages of Goobne Chicken to his fellow performers.

“Whoaaa, thank you Siwon-ah. I won’t hesitate keke. Kamsahamnida.” Jungmo replies while taking one box of the said Goobne Chicken.

“Neh, you’re welcome hyung. Yahhh, Henry, take some too. Seohyun-sshi… you too.” Siwon calls the other two to join.

“Thank you hyung.” Henry politely takes the box and starts opening it. Looks like he’s hungry to death.

“Thank you very much Choi Siwon-sshi.” Seohyun formally bows before taking another box.

“Here are the soft drinks as well. Just feel free to take it ok?!” Siwon puts down the plastic bag filled with various cans of soft drink in the middle of the circle made by Sungmin, Henry, Jungmo, Onew, and Jonghyun. Everybody shouts “thank you” to Siwon when the latter walks away to where Tiffany is.

“Yah, what are you doing?” Siwon asks her, approaching the tired girl. She’s tired mentally and physically.

“I’m arranging my things.” Tiffany shortly replies.

“What for?” Siwon annoys her again.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m going to buy my dinner in the cafeteria Siwon-sshi.” The cafeteria is indeed open because it is chartered by the musical committee.

“Ahhh… so you want to go there instead. I just wanted to offer you this Goobne Chicken actually. Keke. But looks like you are not interested.” Siwon starts bragging here and it annoys Tiffany for sure.

“Yah… I made the decision to go to the cafeteria even before you offered me that Goobne Chicken of yours!” Tiffany exclaims.

“So… it means you change your mind now? You want the Goobne Chicken right?!” Siwon jokingly teases her again.

Tiffany makes a deep thought about it. Goobne Chicken will be too delicious to be skipped but if it comes from Siwon then she must thinks twice. She won’t let Siwon win even though there’s no reason to take it as a competition. It’s just because of Tiffany’s pride and ego.

“Aishhh… whatever.” Tiffany starts walking to the cafeteria, regretting her decision to skip the tasty chicken.

“Hmmm… yummy…” Siwon teases her once again from her back with the scent and flavor of the Goobne Chicken. He is blowing the air to Tiffany’s nose.

After several steps of being teased, Tiffany finally gives up.

“Fine… I give up this time. Where’s my portion?” She turns her whole body to face the now grinning Siwon.

“Hahahaha… see? It seems like our president is not that tough. Keke.” Siwon doesn’t stop even after the white flag was already raised by Tiffany.

“Yahhh! Just give me if you want to give me.” Tiffany gives Siwon a light hit on his left arm.

“Neh, neh… here is for you.” Siwon offers the box but a second before Tiffany can even touch the box, Siwon suddenly runs away.

“Catch me if you can. Hahahaha…” Siwon really never stops to tease the girl.

“Yahhh!!!” Tiffany can only yell while chasing after that tall guy.

Just about 30 seconds later, Siwon gives up. He stops running and Tiffany catches him. They are in front of the door that connects the mini theatre and the cafeteria now. Tiffany is lightly kicking and hitting Siwon. The other performers look at them with envious eyes for sure.

“Now, please give it to me. I’m so hungry, aren’t you hungry too?” Tiffany sounds like begging now.

“Neh neh… here you go.” Siwon finally hands the box he is holding before.

“Thank you Mr. Selfish!” Tiffany sarcastically tells him and takes the box from Siwon.

“You are welcome Miss Tempered.” Siwon doesn’t wanna lose in the other round.

“Yah! What did you say?!” Tiffany starts hitting and kicking him again in a friendly way.

“Oww… yah!!! Stop it.” Siwon begs for mercy now as he holds Tiffany’s right hand to prevent him from being hit anymore.

And that’s when Kyuhyun appears from outside. The door is not closed so Kyuhyun can directly see what happens when he is in front of the door. He just come back from the cafeteria because he’s holding a box of dinner. Tiffany and Siwon of course block Kyuhyun’s way. Tiffany and Siwon are really uneasy and it becomes awkward now between the three of them.

“Excuse me.” Kyuhyun manages to stay calm despite his heart being in pain after seeing the affectionate moment between Siwon and Tiffany. He has been suffering a lot from being cool about it actually but he still doesn’t want to admit it.

“Neh… I’m sorry. We’re sorry Kyuhyun-sshi. By the way, have you eaten your dinner? Want to join us? I have some extra Goobne Chicken. I thought you will like some too.” Said Siwon calmly, trying to break the awkwardness there. Siwon fails to sense the unspoken tension between Tiffany and Kyuhyun.

“I already bought mine Siwon-sshi. I’m sorry to reject your offer. Besides, I don’t think you’ll like to be disturbed by me.” Then Kyuhyun walks, passing through Tiffany and Siwon.

“Kyuhyun-ah…” Tiffany can only call him but he ignores the call.

“You’re still in bad term?” Siwon curiously asks the girl. He fails again to notice that partly it’s him that causes the trouble between Kyuhyun and Tiffany.

“It’s not your problem.” That’s the last words from Tiffany before leaving the now confused Siwon. He doesn’t have any idea why Tiffany gets annoyed again.

Kyuhyun had a plan to reconcile with Tiffany actually but that’s on Monday. Now is Friday. Something had changed his plan.

When he heard about the “assault” that happened in Tiffany’s house from his parents, he was shocked in instant. Tiffany’s dad looks like a caring person from outside. He never realizes that the older is mentally sick. That time, he really felt like a useless friend. He felt like he needs to protect Tiffany from now on and helps the girl. He felt sorry and wanted to apologize.

But then, he felt more like betrayed and ignored.

“Who am I to her?”

“Why doesn’t she talk to me?”

“Doesn’t she think me as a friend?”

“Can’t she believe me?”

“Why him? Why does she ask the help from Choi Siwon?”

“Why him instead of me?”

Those above questions appear in his mind all at once in every possible second when his brain is empty from other thoughts. He really felt deserted as a friend and that’s why he canceled his plan to reconcile. He’s so mad but actually, he’s really-really sad. It’s unfavorable for him as he doesn’t know that Tiffany actually intended to ask him to help her that night.

As for Tiffany, Siwon had explained everything about why he was the one who came that night. Right after this second miscommunication, Tiffany changed Siwon’s name and now this problem is settled. Yeah, at least she saves the right name for everyone now in her cell phone’s contacts. But, there is other problem that is yet to be solved.

Tiffany is actually in such a difficult situation. She knows that Siwon takes some part of why she is in no-talking mode with Kyuhyun but as for now, she can’t throw Siwon away from her life. He’s indeed her “hero” now. Not only for the charity project but also for what Siwon and his family have done to help her.

That’s why, she decides to wait a little longer before talking with Kyuhyun again. Last time, she tries to confront Kyuhyun directly and it fails to help them reconciling. Thus, she’ll wait until everything is more peaceful and she’ll definitely talk to Kyuhyun again. She’ll apologize and explain everything. She knows that Kyuhyun is angrier than ever. She admits that it’s right for Kyuhyun to be upset because she keeps and hides about something important from him.

Nevertheless, Tiffany makes two identical and fatal assumptions here about these two guys in her life.

Firstly, she assumes that Kyuhyun only feels betrayed and jealous towards Siwon as a friend. She can’t see and read the truth that Kyuhyun indeed loves her more than just a friend. Being close for years and being used to it, Tiffany fails to notice Kyuhyun’s love for her. Secondly, she is also oblivious about the love that Siwon shows and spreads lately. For her, it’s only because Siwon’s kindness. She assumes that Siwon pities her for her pitiable situation. She can’t see what others have seen.

One other important note here is the fact that Tiffany’s brain thinks that she loves nobody while her heart has already started to like Siwon. In some cases, there’s surely a time when your mind and heart aren’t matched. What you think is not always what you feel.

Someone’s POV

“What?! Are you kidding me? Another request?!”

I say to the messenger.

“Didn’t they promise me that Lee Byunghun would be my last target and I’m free? Geez… now what is it?!”

I exclaim again but the messenger insists that this one will be the real last person I’m going to kill. The messenger starts explaining the reason they need me.

I know I should have complained but then I can’t. They tell me that it’s a sudden request yet a top level case. They need a pro like me. Not that I am boasting about myself. It’s urgent and they need me to kill this one last person, at least this person will be my last person. I hope so. Yeah, I hope now it’ll be my last job of killing these garbage people.

So I agree.

“Fine, I’ll do it.” I reply to the messenger.

They give me the file of my next target through this messenger.

Once the messenger disappears, I start opening the file.

I swear, the moment I open the file, I can’t believe what I’ve just seen. I’m going beyond shocked. I’m stiffened while reading the data of my target. I really want to cancel this agreement but it’s too late. There’s no turning back now. I should kill this person. But really… should I really kill this person?!

Yuri’s POV

I’m following her again tonight.

She’s eating her dinner in a Chinese restaurant, alone. I wonder how lonely she is. Compared to her, I’m not even better though. I’m a lonely stalker… hmmm… aniyo… I should rephrase it. I’m a lonely person who is stalking to get rid of being lonely.

I wish I can eat there with you Jessica-sshi.

Even though I know I don’t have any hope because I can see that she’s in love with Lee Donghae-sshi, I just simply can’t erase my affection towards her.

I know that instead of getting a good impression in front of her, I stupidly and always do the things that she hates. Aigooo… I’m a failure. But it’s ok though, it’s not like I’m going to win her heart anyhow so yeah… stalking is the trend now.

But maybe someday… someday I hope she’ll at least be my friend and when she sees me, she’ll smile. She never smiles in SNU. I wonder why. She seems like a warm person when she’s not in the SNU. My long experience as her stalker won’t deceive me. There’s this smiling goddess inside her outer cold expression and I always want it to be mine.

Snap it out Kwon Yuri, she’s too far to begin with.

I still look for a chance to take her picture.

I keep observing and she’s done with her dinner. She makes a phone call. She talks on her cell phone. Suddenly, she’s laughing happily. I’m happy to see her happy. But, I’m more depressed of being unable to be the one who makes her happy like that.

She already walks out from the restaurant right now and starts wondering around. I think she’s in the process of making decision about where she’ll go next.

And as she finally makes the decision, I start moving as well.

I’m stalking from behind and it’s still a little bit too crowd so it’s impossible to take even just one photo of her.

So I patiently follow her. That’s all I can do. Look at how jobless I am, keke.

She stops in front of some street shops. She buys an ice cream and she enters The Body Shop. She buys several products because she comes out with a bag in her hand. Based on the direction she’s going, I guess she’s heading home right now.

I’m too captivated by how “boyish” and “sergeant-like” the way she walks from behind that I don’t really notice that the path we are taking is getting quiet. Really I don’t realize that right now, it’s only me and her who are walking in this road, on the pavement.

Well, I still stalk her of course. I don’t really care if there are only us in this road. Suddenly, she stops. I’m thunderstrucked by this and quickly look for a hideout. Luckily, I find a hiding place between some buildings in this road.

I observe her. She takes a glance to where I stand before hiding. Oh gosh… maybe I made some noise just right now and she’s aware that I’m following her.

However, she starts walking again after finding that there’s no one following her. I do follow her again of course. I walk carefully now. We’re not that far from her apartment anymore actually. Just one turn at the end of this road and some more walks then my job as a stalker is done.

Right after that thought, she suddenly turns her body without stopping like what she did before. Being a trained swimmer, I guess I have a good reflex. At almost the same time, I manage to hide again, this time behind a car that is parked near me. Omo… did she catch me?!

“Yah… anybody there?”

I hear her voice. I guess she is starting to suspect that someone is really following her. I don’t reply though. Who will?! So, I just keep hiding and hold my breath. My heart is skipping its beat now. I’m so afraid that she’ll find out. But, I think I’m so lucky that now she starts walking again.

I make sure that it’s safe to come out now and when I come out I notice that she already turns to the left, to the road that is heading to her apartment. Hence, I run because she won’t see me anymore. I’ll just stop before turning to the left to see whether she has gone into her apartment or not.

I’m getting closer to the end of this road. I stop before turning as planned. I slowly and carefully take a peek.

At the time my eyes can finally see the sideway, I almost faint to see that she’s there. Jessica-sshi is there, standing with a certain pose like she’s already been waiting for me. Great… what now?! I’m totally busted now.

Kyuhyun’s POV

I know I shouldn’t do this but there’s no other way to make her come back to me.

I’m being too used to be by her side and it’s so painful to see her going away little by little now. I want her to be only mine. And maybe this is the only way. Even though it’s never in my dictionary to use this way but I can’t hold it back anymore. I already decide so I should do this before I run out of time. Yes, call me selfish but I don’t care.

We’re just done with the musical practice and as usual, Fany will go home with Siwon-sshi. I follow them from the time Siwon’s car exits SNU until it stops in front of Tiffany’s new living-place. They say their goodbyes to each other and that’s when I come out from my cab.

After Siwon-sshi leaves and before Tiffany enters the apartment building, I call her.

“Fany-ah!”

She turns her head to look for the source and I can tell I see her smiling when she found out that it’s me.

“Kyu… Kyuhyun-ah…”

She smiles but she sounds hopeless actually. I guess she’s tired. I notice that she’s kinda relieved too. Perhaps she’s been waiting for a chance to talk to me as well and that’s why she looks happy. But, that happy face maybe will fade after I tell her what I want to tell her.

I feel sorry but it feels like I can’t win over Choi Siwon except I use this way. It feels like I’m going against the gravity to do this. It feels like I’m going against the stream. But, I won’t betray myself. I love her and I only want her.

“Fany-ah… I have something to tell you…”

##########

A/N
I don't have much to say. Keke. I just hope you like the story so far and wait for your comments ^_^. Thank you so much everyone!