22 - Friend or Foe?

The Liar(s)

New Poster
Posted Image

 

22 – FRIEND OR FOE?

Writer’s POV

Donghae gets out from his car.

He steps carefully, staring at the restaurant building where he’ll meet Hyukjae in a couple of minutes. He wonders, will everything be the same again after tonight? He isn’t sure. After all, he is sure that Hyukjae is hunting him while he is hunting Hyukjae as well. They are hunting each other. And after tonight, maybe only one of them who’ll stay alive or yeah… maybe both are gonna die tonight.

It is so ing bitterly funny for Donghae to face his bestfriend for life this way. Their fate indeed is set up in a very dramatic rule.

He still can’t believe that such kind of story will ever happen in his life.

He still can’t belive that He and Hyukjae are destined to kill each other.

Yes they are bestfriends, but it can’t be denied anymore, it’s their fate to hunt and kill each other. If it’s not tonight, then it will be the next day and if it’s not tomorrow, it’ll be the other day for sure.

Looking back in the past, Donghae can just unpleasantly grin in pain.

He has spent almost half of his life with Hyukjae and his supports. He has been living his life with Hyukjae being someone he can depend on and trust. Years back, he’ll never imagine how to live his life without Hyukjae but now, he should start thinking about it. He missed him so bad in the time when Hyukjae disappeared but now he knows why he disappeared.

Donghae is once again amazed by the fact that he once was living with someone who he will surely hate. Thanks to his ignorance, he is able to be friend with that kind of person instead and this makes everything more difficult and complicated now. If only he knows from the start, everything will be so much easier and different.

He has been thinking about it from last night. He can barely sleep for thinking about this matter yet he can’t find any solution other than killing each other.

“Is it ridiculous now to pray and ask for forgiveness from God and hope that God will make a way for me, so everything will be alright?” He ponders about it a lot. He thinks about this miracle but he knows it’s too late. Really, it’s just too late.

He has lied and committed an unforgivable sin. Even Yoona didn’t want to hear him anymore the other day. He doesn’t own anyone’s trust. He even lied again to Yoona that day when he said that he just wanted to talk about his parent’s divorcement. It’s true his parents are divorced but actually, he needed and wanted Yoona’s trust for another story. It’s just predictable though that Yoona didn’t want to hear.

What a miserable person he is. He always thinks about it. 

In the end, Donghae hopes that this whole concept is actually wrong. But it’s stupid to hope, he knows that.

As for Hyukjae, he is waiting patiently for Donghae. He believes that Donghae will come no matter what happens. He knows that they are hunting each other right now. They are hunting not for missing each other but for eliminating each other.

So there he is, sitting comfortably in the one of the table in the restaurant.

There’s a reason, a sinful and untold reason why he wants to be Donghae’s bestfriend in the first place. Not that he is really being forced though but he feels responsible to be Donghae’s bestfriend. Hyukjae indeed regrets everything now.

As he is feeling responsible to be Donghae’s supporter, he shows how great he is as a supporter. He cares for Donghae too much that he can’t even tell Donghae that Donghae is wrong all this time to play with many girls’ hearts. He can only support Donghae and now it is an uncurable pain that he feels after finding out the truth.

Hyukjae remembers that once he said to Yoona that everyone is lying in this world. He fully realized that it included him. However, he never really imagined that Donghae is lying too. He thought that it’s only him who lies in his friendship with Donghae. However, he was wrong.

Now, he finds out the truth. The very heartbreaking truth and he can’t step back. From a friend to a foe, it really never acrossed his mind even once, Hyukjae can’t believe that in the end they will be hunting each other.

It’s not easy for him and he’s sure the same thing goes to Donghae’s side. Even when he really wants to kill Donghae, Hyukjae knows that there’s a part inside him that goes against this idea. From only feeling responsible, he sincerely cherishes his friendship with Donghae.

However tonight, it’s supposed to be the end.

But, how will he face Donghae?

“What should I say to him first?” He thinks.

It really makes Hyukjae confused even more. There are so many thoughts in his mind right now. So many random and cruel thoughts.

He still can’t imagine how possible it is for him to kill Donghae. He also can’t imagine how Donghae will kill him. But it’s their fate. It’s sometimes agonizing in a funny way. 

Hyukjae grins in sorrow. This thing is laughable for him.

He can’t cry yet his tears are already there.

Suddenly, all of the past memories he had with Donghae are flashing back in his mind. It started that night… their fate started that night when Hyukjae decided to support Donghae.

He was about to recall their first meeting when he can hear a waiter greets a new customer. He’s very sure it’s Donghae who comes. It can be any other person. It must be Donghae. There is no way it will be another person and he was so right.

Donghae calmly walks, escorted by the waiter.

Donghae looks around and there are no other customers there. It’s quite strange because this restaurant should be one of the most crowded-restaurant in the town. He wonders about it but he decides to be careless as he is getting close to where Hyukjae conveniently sits.

Their eyes meet and there’s no expression on both face other than determination.

Once Donghae sits in front of Hyukjae in the designated square table, Donghae decides to smile at his long-lost best bud.

“Looking great there Hyukkie…”

Dongha is amazed by the fact he can be this calm after really seeing Hyukjae again.

“Neh thanks. Long time no see, if you consider it’s that long though, Hae.”

Hyukjae replies and you can trace how serious his tone is. It’s plain and cold.

“So, you reserve this restaurant only for us?” Donghae brings another simple topic when the waiter pours some wine from the bottle into their crystal glasses.

“Kind of. Our talk should be private right?” Hyukjae again replies not as lightly as how Donghae talks. Actually, now their hearts are beating faster than ever.

“Well, it’s acceptable but I can’t help to be surprised. I-indeed-never-know-how-rich-and-powerful-you-are!” Donghae emphasizes each word in his last sentence. He shows how he is overwhelmed by the sad truth.

“Actually, this is the reason why I can’t let you know where my home is. I always like the strawberry milk but I need to prevent you from picking me up in my house so yeah, thus I use it as a reason. You seem don’t really care though.” Hyukjae coldly replies when the waiter brings their dinner. Hyukjae already orders Donghae’s favorite meals.

“What a smart excuse Hyukkie.” Donghae shortly responds back.

“Hungry Hae? Should we eat the dinner before they’re getting cold?” Hyukjae motions Donghae to please himself.

“Hahahaha…” Donghae can’t hold his bitter laughter.

“I can’t believe you still have your appetite Hyukkie.” Donghae continues.

“Because I need to know your reason first and I want to hear your stories. You owe me much Lee Donghae. Much…” Hyukjae pauses and continues again.

“Nah, it’s better to hear from you while eating our diner right? After all, you don’t need more explanation from me right? I guess I’m your target as well. I am… after all, Lee Byunghun’s only son and I’m the heir of his underground organization. I guess you already know that.” Hyukjae takes a gulp of his wine then proceeds to another statement.

“If your secret job is killing those mafia’s leaders then I must be one of them right now. Correct me if I’m wrong, Hae.” Hyukjae continues eating his dinner after that, waiting for Donghae’s response.

“Ok then… I accept your offer Lee Eunhyuk. Your real name actually sounds cool. Keke. Where should I start? And ahh… I have several questions for you too.” Donghae responds, much to Hyukjae’s nervous excitement. Yeah… his real name is Eunhyuk though.

“Who is above you? Who orders you Hae? Who’s your leader?” Eunhyuk starts interrogating.

“Government.” Donghae states.

“I see… since when?” Hyukjae continues the procedure.

“Since we’re in high school, I’ve been trained and training to be… an assassin, if it’s the suitable name, behind your back. And if you ask why I want to take this way… ask your dad Hyukkie.” Donghae starts eating his own dinner.

“I know it already. From the very beginning, I already know that Hae. I know that my dad had caused many problems to your parents. However, your parents are at fault as well, why would they play with my dad in the first place?” Eunhyuk stares at Donghae who is eating now.

“So you pitied me that time then?” Donghae interrupts Eunhyuk.

“You are fast at making correct conclusion.” Eunhyuk quickly replies.

“I don’t really remember though but I’ve been thinking about it a lot and it’s making sense now why you suddenly came to my parents’ house that night and cheered me up suddenly. You were accompanying your dad’s people neh?! You lied, saying that you were one of the children who lived nearby. Do you really felt guilty, Hyukkie?! I wonder… a heir to a gangster’s family like you can feel guilty though.”

“Indeed. I felt guilty because I saw you crying that night for what my dad’s people did to your parents. But honestly, I never thought that it was wrong to cheer you up that night even when I know that it’s not enough to make up my dad’s mistakes.” Eunhyuk cuts Donghae.

“So, who should be blamed then? We both know it will never end to talk about the past.” Donghae raises his volume.

“You are right and that’s why I decide to end it here… Now!” Eunhyuk says that while pulling out a hidden gun from the inner-side of his leather jacket. He knows that it’s really too painful to continue. He knows that he still doesn’t have the guts to shoot Donghae but then he already takes the gun out. He is about to hold the gun in front of Donghae’s face to threaten the latter but Donghae is faster. They have finally started it when they’re not even done with their dinner.

When Eunhyuk makes his move, Donghae quickly kicks the table to Eunhyuk’s direction. It causes Eunhyuk to be pushed back and he even falls down on the floor with his chair and the gun escapes from his grip.

Eunhyuk is ready to stand up and take back his gun again, but he can’t even blink his eyes when a gun is held high in front of his forehead. Donghae points the gun and threatens Eunhyuk.

“Stand up and turn around Hyukkie.” Donghae asks Eunhyuk and the mafia does what he is told.

“Make it fast, Hae. I wonder… can’t it be me who wins this time?! But guess I’m destined to lose everything to you.” Eunhyuk can’t hold his tears anymore. He is back-facing Donghae now.

“One last question Hae… are you guilty for killing my father? I’m an orphan now because my mother had passed away long ago. Are you guilty Hae?”

“The only thing that makes me guilty is indeed you. But I’ll never regret killing your father for he deserves it. I believe you’re not like your father though. I’m sure you can change Hyukkie but it’s too late now. If you want to know whom I think should be blamed… it’s our parents. Blame your dad and I’ll blame my parents. They are… who started it. And speaking of which, my parents are already divorced.” Donghae still can’t decide whether to pull the trigger or not. It’s too difficult for him.

“You were indeed right. You are my target now. Your father was actually my last target but the government is afraid of you, they are afraid that you’ll resurrect what your father had done in the past… all the crimes and those illegal tradings.” Donghae still continues after this.

“The night I read your name as my target, I’m sure that sooner or later today will come, the day where we will hunt eact other. Hyukkie… I don’t know though… Am I walking in the right path?” Donghae can’t hold his own tears as well.

Silence fills the empty restaurant because the waiters had run away. Donghae then asks another question.

“By the way, I’m curious… how can you know it’s me who kills your dad and when did you discover it’s me?”

“Last night… I knew it’s you who killed my dad last night Hae, that’s why I texted you directly. I can’t believe this but you left something when you killed my dad in his room. Something that makes me know it’s yours and I found it last night. You left an evidence and I can’t stop asking… why it should be you?!” 

“Ahh… so that’s it… clumsy me to leave something then.” is Donghae’s next reply to Eunhyuk’s clarification. Donghae still contemplates though. He is thinking about another topic to talk to so he can use the time to think about what he should do. He knows it’s stupid to be like this in this kind of situation.

“Hae… I don’t know if it’s stupid or not to let you know but… I’m not alone. This restaurant is mine and the waiter probably has contacted my people to come here. So you better make it fast and leave this place. If not… you’ll die for sure.” Explained Eunhyuk.

“What if I don’t want to kill you and I run away instead?” Donghae says to Eunhyuk, he slowly takes Eunhyuk’s previous gun from the floor while still pointing his gun on Eunhyuk’s back-neck.

“Then I’ll hunt you for sure. If I can’t find you, I’ll make you coming to me. There are many ways to make you coming to me Hae.” Eunhyuk talks back while Donghae is holding two guns already now.

“Fine Hyukkie.”

From the outside of the restaurant, people won’t know that there are these two young men who are trying to kill each other inside. Even when there are so many citizens walking around this restaurant, they won’t notice. However, some people that are passing the restaurant start running when they hear a loud shot from inside.

“DORRRRR!!!”

##########

A/N
Finally, I update again fast. This chapter is not that short though but I fully realize that it may ignite lots of question. So yeah, be patient neh... explanation of everything is coming in the next/later chapters. So yeah, DONGHAE IS THE DAMN KILLER AND EUNHYUK IS LEE BYUNGHUN'S SON!!! I believe that you all must have a feeling that it will be Hae.

I know it maybe confusing for you to read their conversation but some things are mentioned before. How the killer's parents are bullied by some gangsters and some little things. It'll be explained later so don't worry be happy kekeke.

So, how will it end then??

I already reminded you that it maybe a sad story/end and it includes the possibility of character(s)' death but some will surely have a happy ending. I'll leave you guessing and waiting for the end. I'm sorry to perhaps "kill" your favorite characters in advance. T.T

I hope I can update fast again *working really hard. Actually, when I started writing chapter 21, I've already started writing chapter 22 and for it's not that long, I can finally update fast. Thank you for your supports everyone. And also, I hope you like new poster, it's just for some fun ^_^.