10 - Antagonist Sunset

The Liar(s)

10 – ANTAGONIST SUNSET

Writer’s POV

“Im Yoona…” Jessica mumbles her visitor’s name.

“Neh, good morning Jessica-sshi, I’m so sorry for visiting you early in the morning.” Yoona smiles, a smile that will make everyone feels warm.

“Ah… no problem. Come in.” Jessica invites her sudden guest.

“What do you want to drink?” Jessica politely asks Yoona.

“No… don’t mind me Jessica-sshi, I’m just coming to ask you something so you don’t need to make yourself troubled. Thank you.” Yoona replies and Jessica nods.

Soon as Jessica and Yoona settled on the sofa, Jessica opens the conversation.

“So, Yoona-sshi, what can I do for you then?”

“Actually, there’s something that I’ve been craving to know…” Yoona pauses and this temporary silence makes Jessica curious.

“And what’s exactly that something? Is it somehow related to me?”

Jessica asks again.

“Yes, definitely, that’s why I visit you this morning.” Yoona stops again, only to gain her confidence. Truthfully, she isn’t sure why she comes all the way to Jessica’s apartment. It will look like she’s desperately jealous or curious about Jessica and Donghae relationship, won’t it? However, here she is and she knows that there’s no turning back again.

“I keep wondering about your relationship with Donghae-oppa, did you somehow know each other before?”

Jessica tries her best not to show her real expression. She does predict that Yoona’s visit must have something to do with Donghae. What else could it be?

However, to be asked with such question directly on her face, she can’t deny being dizzy.

“No, we don’t I think. I never met him before except in the SNU of course.” Jessica lies.

“That’s pretty weird though Jessica-sshi.” Yoona argues.

“Why is that so?” Jessica demands another explanation.

“Because he looked very angry when I mentioned your name.” Yoona doesn’t waste any time to answer the last question from Jessica.

On Jessica’s side, she’s frustrated now that Donghae even shows to Yoona how he really gets mad at her.

“Hahahahahahaha…” Jessica can only laugh to cover her lies. She then tries to explain why she is laughing to the confused Yoona.

“Seriously Yoona-sshi, if you ask me why he gets angry over me, I don’t know either. Shouldn’t you ask your boyfriend rather than coming here to my place?”

Jessica makes every possible effort she could make to convince Yoona and fortunately, Yoona gives up after several seconds of thinking.

“Neh, you’re right, I should be asking him not you though. Well then, I think I’m done. I’m so sorry once again to interrupt your morning Jessica-sshi.”

Yoona stands up and politely bows to Jessica.

Jessica returns the small bow and then walks in front of Yoona to open her apartment door.

“See you around.” Yoona bids her farewell.

“Neh, bye.” Jessica replies nicely.

Jessica closes the door and she never feels this relieved for so long. She doesn’t go back to her bedroom directly. She is leaning her back on the door instead. She inhales some air.

However, Jessica may think that Yoona will buy her lies but she must be forgetting the fact that Yoona is a smart girl.

Yoona exits the apartment building, of course still with her curiosity. The morning visit actually isn’t wasting her time.

She is instead being convinced that indeed, there’s something between Donghae and Jessica. The way Jessica lied before is slightly obvious.

“Whatever!” Yoona thinks to herself.

“It’s not my problem right? Besides, tomorrow will be the last day. I’m going to be free from this Lee Donghae finally.”

She continues thinking about the last day of being Lee Donghae’s girlfriend that will come as soon as tomorrow.

She’s happy of course but still, she’s very restless about Jessica and Donghae.

Tiffany’s POV

“I’m sorry for coming late.”

Siwon enters the students association meeting room only to find out that the room is actually empty. Well, not that empty because I’m here, still waiting for him.

“It’s ok. No problem.”

I try to be patient.

“Where are the others? Aren’t we going to have a meeting Tiffany-sshi?” This Choi Siwon innocently asks me.

“Siwon-sshi, actually… the meeting starts over two hours ago and I’m so sorry because we decided to start the meeting without you. You know, everyone has their classes and other activities so yeah… we can’t wait for you.”

I nicely explain to Siwon the current situation. I try not to explode. The truth is, we’ve been desperately waiting for him about 30 minutes before giving up and deciding to start the meeting without him.

The meeting just ended about 15 minutes ago and because I’m the only one who is free right now so I decide to wait for him. Besides, I’m the president so I must take the responsibility to explain to our SPECIAL GUEST MR. CHOI SIWON about the concept of the anniversary event.

“I see, look… Tiffany-sshi, I may look selfish but I really have another sudden and important schedule. I’m sorry I…” He looks guilty though but come on Tiffany, he’s an actor, it’s easy to act for him right?!

“Well… it’s ok. After all, you’ve made a great effort to still come here.”

Well, I must admit that I’m good at acting nice too. Omona… how long can I be this patient in front of him?!

He just made me very happy the other day when he received the request and today he just made me angry. Arghhhh… Hold on Fany-ah…! I scold myself. He’s your only treasure now so you should be nice to him.

He walks closer to where I have my seat and then sits right beside me.

Oh my God, he smells great and… tempting. His perfume really drives me crazy. Geez… calm Fany-ah!!! Be calm ok?! I scold myself again.

“So… what do you have in store for me?” He asks me politely.

“So here it is the concept…”

And then I spend almost an hour to explain him about the concept of our campus anniversary event.

“That’s interesting.” He tells me.

“Do you have any suggestion or input?” I look for his feedback.

“Uhmmm… I don’t think so. The concept is great enough.” He responds again.

“Ok then… if you don’t have any question then we’re done. Anyways, could you help me arrange some of these papers?” I conclude the meeting by asking him to hand me a little help. He nods as his reply.

“Well, Tiffany-sshi, may I get your number by the way?” He suddenly speaks again when we arrange some of the files and folders on the table.

“My number? Phone number?” I just want to make it sure.

“Yes, your phone number. Look… don’t get me wrong, I just… you know, we perhaps need to contact each other right? I mean, there will be some time when you need to contact me and I need to contact you regarding this anniversary event so if you don’t mind…”

“Well, don’t get me wrong too but actually, I had asked your number from your manager but your manager didn’t want to give it to me telling that it’ll be a problem if I spread your number so yeah… I actually understand that you are a celebrity.”

I counter his words.

“Well, that doesn’t answer my question though.” He speaks again.

“Eh?” I raise my eyebrows.

“I’m asking your phone number and the answer should be yes or no, right? I mean… I don’t care what my manager had told you because he is him and I am me. It’s true that my cell phone will be gradually checked by him but that’s not mean I only have one cell phone. It’s just… I think I need your number. For example… when I can’t attend a meeting then I can text you beforehand. To let you know when I have an idea for the event is another instance of why I need your number.”

It’s such a long elaboration but it’s plausible.

“I think I have no other choice then.” I reply him and then we exchange our number.

“Don’t worry, your number is safe.” I convince him.

“Thank you so much.” He replies again.

Unknown to me, maybe because I’m not really good at Korean or maybe I’m just careless or clumsy or whatever, I save his contact with:

초시원 (Cho Siwon)

instead of

최시원 (Choi Siwon)

and it makes his contact becoming the second contact with the Cho surname. The first one is:

초규현 (Cho Kyuhyun).

I never expect that just because this silly mistake of saving his contact, many things will occur in the future, good things and bad things.

After finishing arranging the files and folders, we then get out from the meeting room and walk separately as he directly goes to another schedule while I’m going home.

Hyukjae’s POV
 

Flashback starts.

“Excuse me.”

I turn my head to see who is calling me but once I see her, it’s really like being in the microwave. It’s so hot… my face is so hot. How can someone be this beautiful? Really, I can’t even blink for one second, it’s just so overwhelming.

I think she can see how red my face is right now.

I almost eat my own straw when I drink my strawberry milk if only she doesn’t speak again because I don’t even say a word to her.

“Are you ok sunbae?” Her voice is so soft and I get up from my daydreaming.

“N-neh, I-I am, c-can I h-help you?” I nervously answer her.

“Actually, I’m a freshman and I’m looking for professor Lee Sooman’s room but I think I’m lost… SNU is sure a big campus with big buildings.” She explains to me her difficulties of finding professor Lee Sooman’s room.

“I-I s-see. Look, you j-just n-need to walk a-along this h-hallway, and w-when y-you s-see an announcement b-board t-then you s-should t-turn to the right… and t-then straightly turn to t-the left after that. This professor’s r-room will be t-the second door a-at your left s-side.”

“Thank you very much sunbae. Really appreciate your help, have a nice day. Bye.”

“You are w-welcome. B-bye!”

Flashback ends.


I open my eyes. I just dreamt again about the time I met Yoona for the very first time, the time when I fell in love with her.

Lately, I’ve been dreaming about it a lot. Is this some kind of a good sign? Hmmm… I don’t know. Maybe I’m just thinking about her too much.

Was it too quick to fall in love with her just like that? Well, maybe that’s why people have this LOVE-AT-THE-FIRST-SIGHT phrase.

It’s already Thursday again and it’s already one week ever since Donghae proclaimed that Yoona is his girlfriend last Friday. If it is one week already, will he break up with her today? If it’s so then maybe I’ll have my chance…

But, Yoona likes him right? What if Yoona doesn’t want to break up with him? Will Donghae accept her? What if Donghae doesn’t want to break up with her then? That would be another thing.

Aishhhhhhh!!!

It’s just too difficult. I think these kind of things are only in the television drama but I was wrong, I’m caught in the middle now. Bestfriend or girlfriend?

Yoona’s POV

It’s just the second week of college but why it’s so tiring already. Maybe because this thing I have with Lee Donghae lately but thanks God it’s Thursday already so it’s the last day.

Speaking of which, where the hell is he?

Where are you Lee Donghae? Since the dinner on Monday, he never showed up in campus. I never met him again. It’s strange though but I just let it be like that. I’m delighted actually when he was not around. However, where is he?

That question keeps popping up in my mind numerous times already.

This thinking about Lee Donghae makes me out from the conversation I have with some of my classmates in one of my Faculty’s garden. I can’t concentrate on what they are talking about when suddenly someone interrupts our conversation in this beautiful afternoon.

“Excuse me… may I borrow Im Yoona for a while.”

He says that and then smiles to my classmates. My classmates, all of them are girls, look like being enchanted by that smile and just nod to him.

Getting the permission from my friend, this Lee Donghae then holds my left hand and starts dragging me with him, well I’m sure with or without the permission from my friends, he’ll just drag me like this. He doesn’t need that permission.

He holds my hand and drags me carefully. He doesn’t face me. He adjusts his speed with mine knowing that I walk slower than him. He is so gentle actually and from my point of view, he looks really cool and great today.

I think he just had his haircut, maybe to release his stress because of his parents’ divorce.

So what? Im Yoona, what are you thinking about? You hate him, don’t you?!

As I gain again my consciousness, I notice that we are passing so many eyes and those eyes are following us. These other students really need more homeworks so they won’t bother to see us.

“Oppa, where are we going?” I ask him nicely, knowing that some students may hear us.

“To the place where no one will hear our conversation of course.” He replies calmly.

“And where’s that place?”

“In that rooftop.” He points the sport hall building. The sport hall that Hyukjae-oppa and I used as our shelter the other day.

Writer’s POV

Yoona and Donghae walk to the sport hall and since it’s not a weekend, there’s no one using the sport hall. This building will only be occupied on weekend where extracurricular activities usually take place.

They arrive at the rooftop and they can see a beautiful sunset. The sky is between orange, red, and yellow.

Yoona, for few seconds, is just speechless. She’s too captivated by the view in front of her. She never knows that such place exists in her campus, a place where she can see something this beautiful.

Seeing the girl being all amazed by the scenery, Donghae just gives some time to Yoona to adjust. He knows that Yoona has been waiting for today.

However, he is getting impatient and finally speaks some words.

“How long will you stare at that stupid sunset?”

Yoona doesn’t reply. She ignores him.

“Won’t you hope to end it soon Im Yoona?”

Finally, Yoona moves to face Donghae. Their eyes meet.

“Yes, of course.” She answers shortly. Tears start forming in the corner of her eyes. She, herself, doesn’t know why she is crying. Maybe because she has been very tired with being a fake figure in her campus and then Donghae comes, and in front of him, she can be herself but it’s actually more tiring as they build a fake relationship.

Being fake is just tiring and maybe the tears are tears of being relieved to end one of her fake life.

“I know I’ve been such… hmmm… how should I say it? Such an evil to you this past one week but however, I enjoy our time.” Donghae starts speaking.

Then he takes Yoona’s right hand and places Yoona’s fake ID card on her grasp.

“Thank you and… sorry for giving you troubles.” He then releases Yoona’s hand from his and takes some steps backward.

He then continues.

“I think I get my karma now though… Seeing how my parents getting divorced, I really think God is punishing me.”

Yoona actually has no idea why Donghae talks about his problem to her. She never wishes for that but then she decides to listen carefully. This bast*rd player is a human too after all.

“I never believe in true love, for me it’s nothing. True love never exists and I always play… hurt other girl after another one… and now, God just showed me that indeed… true love may never exist in my life as my parents are going to divorce.”

Donghae obviously forces himself to smile. He wants to look strong and actually he doesn’t fail so far.

“I wonder why are you still looking calm when you talk about this…? I wonder actually, why are you talking about this in front of me sunbae…?” Yoona holds in her tears from falling.

“I don’t know either…”

Donghae replies and there’s a big silence after that. The beautiful sunset looks like an evil as it keeps showing how beautiful it is in spite the sorrow atmosphere on the rooftop.

“Sunbae… I don’t know why I am saying this but… I’m sorry I can’t be there for you when you’re down. Thus, if maybe there’s something I can do for you right now…”

Yoona then is being cut by Donghae’s next action. The guy suddenly hugs Yoona tightly and makes the girl surprised to the point where she doesn’t know what to do now.

“Yes… there is. Sure there’s something you can do for me Yoona-yah…”

That last sentence from Donghae sounds so affectionate. Yoona realizes that the guy is actually crying right now. Yoona can feel his tears on her shoulder as he buries his head there on Yoona’s shoulder like a crying son asking for comfort from her mother.

“What can I do for you sunbae?”

Yoona curiously asks Donghae. She can feel how fragile his ex-fake-boyfriend heart is right now.

“Be my girlfriend again… and not the fake one anymore… be the real one… please…”

Yoona can’t even find any words to say. Her lips are locked in shocked.

“Is he really asking… no… begging me to be his girlfriend?” Yoona asks herself.

Apparently, Yoona and Donghae are not the only persons who hear Donghae’s request. Since they are walking from the campus buildings to the sport hall building, someone is already following them.

Hearing Donghae’s request, this person decides to leave the rooftop. This person doesn’t have any guts to hear Yoona’s response. It can be hurting for this person.



##########