21 - Eight

The Liar(s)

21 – EIGHT


Writer’s POV

Kyuhyun & Tiffany

“I have lung cancer…” Said Kyuhyun, with a plain yet painful tone, tears start forming in the corner of his eyes.

Tiffany gasps right at that moment. She covers with both of her hands, still feeling doubtful about what she just heard. She still can’t believe this sudden news. Tears also threaten her cheeks.

Kyuhyun steps forward in a slow and hopeless motion.

“I’m suffering… I’m sick Fany-ah…”

The gap between Tiffany and Kyuhyun is getting narrower and narrower.

“I don’t have such a long lifespan anymore…” Kyuhyun stresses it out.

Tiffany feels sick. She’s hurt indeed to hear the confession. Kyuhyun arrives at the front of her now. Both can see each other’s pouring tears.

“You know… I’m always coughing these days right?!” Kyuhyun continues and Tiffany sure can recall the times when Kyuhyun coughs.

“It’s getting worse, my cough I mean. So I visit the doctor several days ago. And the results just come out and I suffer the second stage of lung cancer.” He pauses, it’s obvious that Kyuhyun himself, can’t even continue but he tries to keep explaining.

“The moment that doctor unveiled the results, I could only cry. I didn’t know what else to do. I don’t even tell my parents yet. I’m confused. I’m lost Fany-ah.” Tiffany does exactly what Kyuhyun did. She can only cry. She doesn’t know what else to do. Tears are flooding now.

Kyuhyun seems can’t hold it anymore and he hugs Tiffany there. In the cold night and painful moment they ever share together.

“I’m scared to die… I don’t wanna die… There are many things I still wanna do, you know. I want to marry the person I love. I want to raise my children. I still have many dreams to achieve. I’m scared Fany-ah… I’m really-really scared to die.” Kyuhyun still continues, sobbing between each word, trying to be tough and mentally strong. Sadly, he is too fragile now.

The optimistic Kyuhyun is fading away.

Tiffany hugs him back, patting Kyuhyun’s back to coax the shaking boy. Tiffany pulls him tighly. She feels responsible. She cries as much as she can.

“And it’s you… You are the person I want to marry. I want you to be the mother of my children. I love you Fany-ah. I really do.”

And he puts his confession there. He knows he is selfish to confess this way. He knows that he’s going to burden Tiffany with this. He knows he’s not supposed to do this but he can’t help. He may never have any chance anymore. This is the only way for him to get Tiffany back.

“I’m jealous, seeing you with Siwon-sshi. Seeing you with him really tortures me Fany-ah. I’m hurt and I hate that… so please… don’t leave me.”

For some moment… there are no more talks. Both keep quiet. They don’t make any sound. Tiffany is really out of words. She hears everything clearly that she can’t even give any response.

Strangely, she thinks that she should explain to Kyuhyun that she has nothing special with Siwon yet she doesn’t even try. She also feels that she doesn’t need to feel uneasy because if Kyuhyun needs her then she’ll be there for sure. It’s easy to explain to Siwon right?! 

However, why does she feel guilty towards Siwon right now?! Why does she feel uneasy about it?! Why does she feel that it’s not fair for Siwon and for her?! And why does she feel that it will be hard?! She tries to find the answer but she can’t find it. She doesn’t want to think about one possibility. She won’t ever try to imagine. But, the harder she tries to not come closer to this thought… she’s getting closer to there instead.

“Am I in love with Choi Siwon?”

That’s the top question that appears in her mind.

Yuri’s POV

Yuri & Jessica

“Yah! Are you stalking me Kwon Yuri-sshi?!”

“Eh? N-no… o-of course no!” I lie to her.

“But it’s you right? You’re the one following me just right now, aren’t you?!” She glares at me. See? She’s always like this in front of me. It’s my fault though.

“I… I just happened to see you. Yes… that’s it. I walk around and… and I saw you walking and then…”

While I try to create an excuse, she notices the camera in my hand.

“Prove it then.” She cuts me right away, opening her palm.

“Eh?” I don’t get the meaning of her gesture.

“Let me see your camera if you’re not a stalker then.” She tells me her point.

“That… that thing is… hmmm…” I’m thinking about another excuse so she’ll give up but then she is getting impatient and confiscatting the camera from my hand. She loses her patient very fast.

I’m so damn nervous. It really crazes me. It’s turning my world upside down. God… please help me. I hope she doesn’t notice.

She alternately presses the next and previous buttons to switch the photo. However, it takes a little bit shorter than I expected though when she finally returns my camera to me with an embarrassed and disappointed expression.

“Now… are you satisfied? It’s clear that I’m not stalking you right? I was just curious about where you live though. Sorry to frighten you Jessica-sshi.” I say to her, completely being relieved. She doesn’t find it.

“Neh… I’m sorry… I just… you know yeah, I was afraid just right now actually. I thought you were some kind of bad people and yeah…” She pauses before continue. “You could have just called me you know. You didn’t need to be sneaky. After all, we knew each other.” She tells me again and I’m surprisingly happy to hear this.

“Jessica-sshi, I’m terribly sorry for making you scared. Just… you know… I don’t think we made such a good friendship right?! So… yeah, I was afraid that you’ll turn your head away from me once you see me. Well, still… I know I should be blamed. Sorry.” I just want to make sure that she’s not angry again.

“Oh yes of course. We don’t have good relationship thanks to your rudeness to Yoona-sshi, Donghae-sshi, and Hyukjae-sshi but… I won’t live with grudge Yuri-sshi. I don’t think people can live with hatred forever. We… we actually can be friends…” I swear you that I can’t hear her couple of last words because there’s a fast-moving car that is just passing by us.

“Eh? What did you just say right now?” I ask her of course to find out.

“Nevermind, good night.” She simply says and backfaces me. She’s heading home. I observe her and she finally enters her apartment building.

I sigh after that.

Luckily, I was fast to switch the default memory setting. I was using the external memory card memories these days to take some of her photos but before she took my camera, I managed to switch the memory setting to the built-in camera memories where there are no photos of her there.

Thanks God.

I then slowly walk away, planning to have some night snacks before going home. On my way, I’m thinking about retiring actually. Maybe I should retire to be a stalker. Tonight I was lucky but what are the other nights?! I won’t be lucky every time right?!

Yeah… maybe I should retire.

I should let her go.

She’s straight and she won’t ever be mine. I’ll just keep adoring her from a far I guess.

Writer’s POV

Yoona & Donghae

It’s already 9.20 pm, a figure of a girl is walking downstairs in the Business and Management Department of SNU. She reaches the door and quickly opens it. She just closed the door and walked several steps when she realizes that there’s someone waiting for her, a guy with a car to be exact.

“Donghae-sunbae? Is that you?” Yoona asks.

“Neh!” Donghae exclaims while Yoona keeps walking towards where he is waiting.

“What now sunbae? Are you stalking me?” Yoona abruptly sighs when she’s there with Donghae already.

“Nah… that may be true. Kekeke.”

“Whatever.” is the reply Yoona gives to Donghae after that. She ignores him and keeps walking.

“Yoongie-ah… I pick you up because I genuinely think that it’s better to not let you go home by yourself. It’s almost midnight, don’t you think?!” Donghae insists to follow the girl from behind. Yoona turns her head before making her statement.

“Sunbae… I can guarantee you that there are many other interesting things you can do out there rather than picking me up. You really need to get a life.” And she continues walking, planning to really ignore Donghae from now on.

“I can’t help it though. I was just worried. I went to your home at dinner time and you weren’t there. Your maid told me that you’re still in the campus, working for a project that’s why I kindly come here to pick you up. Isn’t it enough as a reason?” Donghae shouts back from her back.

Yoona executes the plan. She ignores Donghae’s words. However, she makes a deep thinking about it.

“Why is he looking for me?” Yoona thinks.

However, because she’s someone who’ll stick to the plan, she just keeps walking away. They almost arrive at the main gate of SNU. Donghae still follows her, thinking about what he should say to make Yoona listening to him. He, indeed, has something important to tell Yoona.

“Yah! Can’t we be… at least friends?” is what Donghae comes up with in the end.

And it works though. Yoona suddenly stops. They are few steps away with Yoona in front of Donghae. She turns her whole body this time.

“Do you mind leaving your car here tonight then?” Yoona questions him.

“Eh?” Donghae raises one of his eyebrows.

“I don’t plan to go back to the Business and Management Department building where your car is located sunbae so… if you are really worried… you can me home… by taking the bus together with me.” Yoona explains. Some finds it strange but Yoona always takes the bus to go home. She’s a fan of public transportation. Having a car will be troublesome for her.

“Well yeah… I don’t mind. You take the lead. As long as you are safe.” Donghae agreeingly replies but he lies at the last part. It’s not only a matter of Yoona being safe or not. It’s about him. He is seeking for a help and Yoona is the only one that comes across his rusty mind.

They take the bus together. There are still some people in the bus. There are some other SNU students as well who are just like Yoona, finishing the project until late at night. Yoona swears she doesn’t have any hard or bitter feelings but she’s worried that another controversy may spark again. She’s being too well known now as a heartbreaker lately.

They choose the second last row, the loneliest area of that bus.

They sit side by side.

Yoona sits in the inner side and that gives her the opportunity to lean her head on the glass window. As for Donghae, he just quietly sits down, not even bother to look outside like what people usually do when they are riding a bus.

Yoona knows that… at times like this, she’s supposed to ask Donghae “What’s wrong with you?” or “Do you have something to tell me?” She reads him too well. She is convinced that Donghae has something else to say. It’s just purely weird that he is looking for her suddenly. However, she decides she won’t ask. She won’t spare her time for him, not after she’s scared that it maybe something bad. After all, all the things related to Donghae in her life always hurt her.

Donghae, on the other hand, opts to keep silent. He’ll just wait until they reach Yoona’s home. It’s no way he’ll tell Yoona in this bus.

Yoona steals a glance to look at Donghae and she finds him half-sleeping there. His eyes are closed, his head is facing down, his face is so peaceful and is looking tired at the same time. He looks like an adorable and innocent boy this way, far from his playboy image.

“Sunbae, wake up. We’re here.” Yoona shakes Donghae and the latter wakes up. Yoona’s house is not that far from SNU so it’s not taking too long. They step down from the bus and they need to walk few more steps, passing by the neighborhood before finally reaching Yoona’s house.

“Thank you sunbae. Thank you very much. Good night and please be careful on your way home.” Said Yoona, trying to send Donghae home immediately.

“Errr, uhm… neh… actually I… I-” Donghae stops here because Yoona cuts him.

“Andwae!” Yoona exclaims.

“Don’t even try to say it sunbae. I don’t want to hear it.” Yoona pleads.

“Yah… you don’t even know what I was goi-” Donghae is surprised to see Yoona’s reaction.

“Neh I don’t know but I won’t dare myself to hear it in the first place.” She cuts him again.

“Can’t you please trust me just this one time?” Donghae quickly makes this question before Yoona cuts him again. He wants to know whether the girl will give him a chance or not.

“I can’t sunbae. I can’t trust you because… because…” Tears are already falling without any sufficient reason from Yoona’s eyes.

“Because I’m scared… I’m scared that it’s a bad news. I’m scared of being hurted again. So I won’t trust you anymore… Somehow, I have a feeling that it’s not something good, I feel like you’ll tell me something not good sunabe. I’m sorry I can’t lend my trust on you.” She tries to continue so hard because she knows that she is hurting Donghae too.

“Ahhh… I see. I fully understand that. Keke.” Donghae tries to wear a don’t-worry-I’m-ok expression but of course he fails. He won’t succeed, not after tears are ready to burst out from his eyes. However, he still manages to hold them inside his eyes.

“Find then… Good night. Have a nice dream.” Then he bids his farewell. He quickly makes him way to go home. He’s afraid that his tears may fall at any time but Yoona stops him.

“Besides it’s not me sunbae. I told you that there’s someone else there for you, didn’t I?”

Donghae stares at Yoona. They are staring at each other’s face for quite some time before Donghae breaks the silence.

“As much as you have your reason to not trust me anymore, I also have my own reason to look for no one else but you Yoongie-ah. You won’t ever understand though. Keke.” He forces a smile. “I didn’t expect that you’ll say that though but yeah… I’m ok even if it hurts so much. Besides, I was just going to tell you that my parents are finally divorced.”

And Donghae decides to end it here as his tears win over him. He doesn’t want to look weak in front of Yoona.

Yoona regrets everything but she thinks it’s the right decision. It’s not like she doesn’t want to be a good friend with Donghae. But she thinks that it’s not her that Donghae should find. It has to be Jessica yet Yoona admits that she needs to apologize later.

Siwon & Tiffany

And it’s already Monday again.

“Tiffany-sshi! Yah! Wae?” Siwon grabs Tiffany’s arm. They are in the hallway, heading to a mini studio in Instrumental Music Academic Program building where they will practice by their own with Sungmin, Seohyun, Henry, and Jungmo.

Tiffany pushes Siwon’s hand away from her arm.

“Waeyo?” Exclaimed Siwon.

“What?” She finally breaks her silence and pretends that there’s nothing wrong. She is facing that boy named Siwon right now.

“What’s wrong with you today? I called you this morning. I wondered if you need me to pick you up like usual but you didn’t answer. I texted you and you didn’t reply as well.” Siwon takes some air before going on another statement.

“Not only that… I visited you on Saturday and yesterday as well and you weren’t in the apartment. I called you and you also didn’t answer my call. You just then texted me that you were hanging out with Kyuhyun-sshi, later last night. I mean… why? What’s wrong with you?” Siwon grumbles as he can’t hide the frustration of being ignored by Tiffany these past two days.

“I told you, I forgot to bring my cell phone, that’s why I just texted you last night…”

“Two days in a row? You forgot to bring your cell phone two days in a row?” Siwon suspiciously asks because he’s not satisfied with Tiffany’s response before. He needs more reasonable explanation.

“Well yes… It can happen right?” Tiffany shortly responds.

“Yes it can happen if you are avoiding me just like right now… I shouted your name several times and you didn’t bother to wait for me.” Siwon is slowly heated now. He wants Tiffany’s attention for sure.

“Now Choi Siwon-sshi… you are making this problem bigger than how it looks. We’re almost late thus I didn’t wait for you and speaking of which, we better move on now.” Tiffany simply turns her body and continues walking but Siwon grabs her arm again to stop her and Siwon takes some steps to stand up in front of her. He’s too persistent or in other words, he’s obsessed by her.

“Please be honest Tiffany-sshi. It’s not enough for me. You are hiding something right?! You are completely avoiding me these whole days?” Siwon sounds helpless and curious at the same time. He can’t see that this question will only burden Tiffany more. It’s obvious Tiffany is hiding something and if Siwon is smart enough, he should have known that he should give some time to Tiffany. Pushing her this way will only make her frustrated even more.

Tiffany doesn’t give a direct reply though. She makes a deep consideration. She thinks about the impact she may cause carefully. She can’t tell the truth for now because it’s something related to Kyuhyun. She doesn’t want to hurt both of them but in the end, one of them should be hurted. She knows that it’s unfair for Siwon but she must sacrifice him.

“Fine…” She starts with this word.

“If you really wanna know, I will make it clear Choi Siwon… I’m begging you now… please… stay away from me! I really want you to keep our distance this time being. And please… don’t ask me why! I just need you to be away… just that. And you were right, I’m avoiding you so let’s make it easy for both us. And one last thing, I’ll move from your apartment so I won’t feel guilty as well. I’ll live at my friend’s apartment so you don’t need to worry about me anymore. Thank you.”

After finishing, Tiffany takes a step as the indication of leaving Siwon when the guy makes his statement regarding this matter.

“Is that so?! Huh?” Said Siwon.

“Is this the way you treat your savior?! Well then, I can’t and won’t argue anymore. Live your life well!” He sounds arrogant but actually Siwon’s heart hurts so much.

With that being said by Siwon, Tiffany can only pretend that she’s ok with it. She’s still standing there. She can’t walk yet while Siwon already moves to the mini studio. She gains all of her courage. She cheers herself so she can be stronger to face it. 

She just had made her choice. She chooses Kyuhyun when her heart is beating for Siwon. She knows it’s silly but Kyuhyun needs her more.

She can’t blame Kyuhyun though.

She can only blame herself in the end.

Taeyeon’s POV

Kyuhyun & Taeyeon

“Kyuhyun-ah…?!” I call him because he seems out of this place.

Still, seems like he’s really daydreaming. He’s been looking gloomy this whole day.

“Yah Cho Kyuhyun…” I tap his shoulder and sit beside him.

He is surprised because I tap him but then he smiles… a lonely and pitiable smile if I guess correctly.

We are sitting at the edge of the stage… the platform where we will hold our musical performance in the mini theatre soon, in just less than four weeks later. SNU’s anniversary will be on October 15th but the musical will be at the end of October. We don’t have much time left so together with the other performers, we decide to practice and rehearse together during our free time.

We are having a little break before starting to practice some songs again. Some other students are already going to buy their lunch when I notice that this guy is still here, sitting all by himself.

“Aren’t you going to buy your lunch?” I ask him.

“I’m not that hungry actually.” He replies to me, not even bother to face me.

“Ahhh I see…” I tell him.

“Kyuhyun-ah…” I call him again after the constant silence. We’re comfortable now with each other that we started calling the other’s name informally. We’ve been friends thanks to the intensive practices and rehearsals. 

“Neh?” This time he faces me.

“I want to make a confession…” I take a deep breath.

“What? Don’t tell me that you’re in love with me? Keke.” He tries his best to joke around while I almost choke upon hearing his question.

“Nice joke you game maniac… keke. It’s about the other day when we met at the hospital.” I have been thinking about telling him the truth lately and I deciede that I just tell him right now. I really just made the decision.

“Just spill it then.” He asks me to tell him.

“Actually… that day, I was visiting my dad. He’s been suffering the Alzheimer.” I calmly explain.

“So yeah… I regularly visit him and this is the reason why I suddenly became coarse towards you when you said that it’s ok if I fail the audition. I think that sometimes… we don’t have much time left and there are no such endless possibilities. I wanna show my father that her daughter is working hard to be a great musical actress before he forgets everything. Before he forgets that I am his daughter.”

I continue and I can see that tears are already flooding his eyes. It’s… quite strange because I try to sound calm and I don’t even cry because I don’t want to ruin the mood but then… why does he look so sad?!

“Kyuhyun-ah, are you alright? I’m sorry I don’t mean to let you down with my story I just… you know I won’t lie anymore to you so… yeah. Sorry.” I’m out of words.

“Eh… I should be the one who says sorry to you though…” He wipes his tears before they fall after gaining his sense again. Maybe he’s stunned just right now that I suddenly tell him about my father’s condition.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t consider your personal problems that day. It was all my fault after all. And I feel sorry about your father’s condition too. He must be very proud to have a daughter like you and you don’t need to worry… you will surely make a great musical actress. I’ll support you for that fact. And…”

He stops after that “and”. He seems confused.

“And…” He repeats the word.

“And what?” I try to satisfy my curiousity.

“I want to make a confession too…” He simply states.

“What? Keke. Did you lie too that day when we met at the hospital? You said you visited your friend right? Was it a lie? Keke.” I take it lightly and I can’t see that he’s been serious right now.

He goes speechless again after I interrupt him.

Our eyes are still locking on each other’s.

“Aniyo… nevermind… keke.” He then suddenly blurts out the cancellation and smiles.

“Yah!!!” I complain.

“I just want to admit that you were right and I was wrong Kim Taeyeon. There are no such things like endless possibilities. At least for some people actually… Aishhh, I’m hungry now after talking with you. Let’s go… let’s grab some foods with the other kids.”

“Neh…” I agree and we both jump down to the floor.

Even though it’s great to hear what he just said… I feel like the cheerful, playful, positive, and optimistic Kyuhyun is not there anymore. Lately, he’s been very quiet. I wonder if everything is alright.

On our way to the cafeteria, I try to cheer up the atmosphere.

“I have another confession to make.” I tell him.

“Now what?” He responds.

“I can’t ride a bicycle. Kekeke.”

“Yah! Is it a joke? It’s not even funny.” He jokingly scolds me.

“No it’s not joke of course. Just… when I was 11 years old, I got a car accident. I was practicing to ride a bicycle when a car hit me. It’s quite serious and I was rushed to the emergency by the driver. Since then, I never ride a bicycle again.”

“I see” is the last thing I hear from him before we enter the cafeteria.

Writer’s POV

Donghae & Jessica

Time flies by very fast and it’s now Thursday. The first day Jessica starts her part-time job as Donghae’s personal assistant.

“Yah… you’re still here?” The time Donghae opens his office door, he’s surprised to see Jessica is still there, in the office where the others are home already. In this big building, only Donghae, Jessica, and the securities are there.

“Neh… I decide to… to get all of these reports done today.” Jessica nervously replies.

“It’s only your first day Sica-yah. Don’t overwork yourself, just go home before dining time. It’s almost 8.00 pm, do you even know that?” Donghae approaches Jessica’s desk.

“Uhmmm, just few more left. By the way, I always think that every CEO won’t stay in his office until this late as well.” Jessica makes a counter-argument.

“Well, not every CEO should attend classes in the morning and afternoon.” Donghae quickly replies. He still can’t believe that he isn’t agitated by Jessica’s presence anymore. Instead, if only he is willing to believe this, he is happy to see her.

“So, are you going home now?” Jessica asks Donghae. She’s afraid that the answer will be yes. Honestly, she does wait for Donghae. She wants to spend some more time with him even when they are separated by a wall.

“I’m not. I’m getting sleepy and I want to make some coffee.” Donghae answers the girl, walking to the pantry.

“Do you want a cup too?” Donghae asks Jessica this time.

“Ahhh… oppa! I mean sir…” Jessica exclaims but gets embarrassed because she forgets that they are still in the office and she shouldn’t address him informally.

Donghae keeps walking, he doesn’t care about how Jessica calls him though. He knows that Jessica is following him to the pantry so he doesn’t ask again if Jessica wants a cup of coffee too or not. When they arrive at the pantry, Donghae is startled by a full set table of prepared dinner.

“I… I order them just right now.” Jessica comes from his back.

“I think that you may probably forget to eat your dinner at proper time so I made a delivery for your dinner sir. However, I’m afraid to disturb you before because I think you must be very busy with work so… so yeah… sorry.” Jessica explains.

“Kekeke, no need to feel sorry. Thanks by the way. Let’s eat together then.”

“Eh? But I only order for you sir.”

“But seems like you can’t measure how much a person can eat. It’s tottaly abundant Sica-yah. Do you think I can even finish it by myself? Well, unless you had your dinner already though then I won’t force you.” Donghae responds to Jessica as he walks to the dining table and he assumes that he’s being nice to her because he’s a professional who won’t involve personal feelings in work. He still can’t put aside his grudge.

Jessica then walks to the dining table and sit in front of Donghae. Well, that means Jessica hasn’t had her dinner as well.

“You should take care yourself first before taking care the others. Keke. How can you order me my dinner but you don’t even order yours?!” Donghae starts a conversation when they start eating. Jessica doesn’t give any response. She’s too happy to have a dinner together with Donghae. It’s really been many years ago since their last dinner together.

“So, is there anything else I can help you after this sir? After all, I’m your assistant.” Jessica brings a topic when they are finishing the foods and beverages.

“Hmmm… let me see, since your English is better than mine, you can help me to translate some reports.”

Jessica only nods as a reply. They go to Donghae’s office after that and work until 10.00 pm. Donghae offers Jessica a ride and the girl eventually accepts the offer. Donghae is parking his car right now in front of Jessica’s apartment building and he notices that the girl is sleeping peacefully beside him. She’s tired for sure.

Donghae stares at her sleeping face and many toughts suddenly hit his mind including Yoona’s words “You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone so better don’t waste your time anymore.” Some little tears are formed in the corner of his eyes.

He then notices that the beautiful girl is getting even more beautiful. Her face looks tired but that doesn’t fail to show the perfect features of her face. He observes the closed eyes, the nose, and finally the lips. Donghae has claimed so many other girls’ lips but he never kisses the one he truly loves. He imagines how sweet it is to kiss Jessica.

In the end he shakes his head. He scolds himself to think about taking a chance from the sleeping form of Jessica. However, it seems like he can’t help it. He can’t ignore the foreign feeling that suddenly attacks his heart, forcing his blood to circulate faster, initiating the neuron inside his system to kiss Jessica. He is too mermerized.

He must be crazy to even think about it but he finds it crazier when he actually starts leaning forward. It will be a disaster if Jessica suddenly opens her eyes. Their lips are inches apart at the moment and Donghae prays that Jessica won’t wake up until he touches her lips with his.

He is never this nervous to kiss a girl but when he’s ready to face the consequences, his cell phone suddenly rings. The ring is loud enough that Jessica flutters her eyes slowly. Luckily, Donghae is fast to come back to his normal position. He mutes his cell phone at the moment where Jessica realizes that she’s home already.

“I’m sorry. I fell asleep.” She apologizes, unfastening her seatbelt, ready to step down from the car.

“It’s alright.” Donghae is sweating but he’s relieved that Jessica doesn’t notice his previous intention. He steps out from the car and opens the car door for Jessica.

“Thank you sir. Good night and drive safely.” Jessica leaves Donghae who doesn’t say any goodbye words. He just stares at the walking girl. In fact, he is the one who involves personal feelings in work. He soon enters his car and he reads the text message that he just received before.

He doesn’t know how to react after reading the message.

Unknown number:
Hae-ah, do you have
some time tomorrow?
If you do, meet me
in the Jung Sik Dang
restaurant at 7.30 pm.
We have many things
to talk about. I’ll be
waiting. *Hyukjae


“Neh, you really have many things to explain to me Hyukkie.” Donghae mutters as he starts driving again.

Yoona & Hyukjae

Apparently, Donghae is not the only one who gets the sudden little “hi” from Hyukjae when Yoona’s cell phone starts ringing.

She’s already under her bedcover, enjoying her sleep in her lonely house because her parents are still doing their business abroad. She’s slowly gaining her consciousness, opening her eyes, moving her hand to reach her cell phone. She thinks that it’s probably her parents who call this late and because they are in Europe right now, Yoona can only blame the time difference. As she grabs her cell phone, she presses the button to pick up the call and put it on her ear.

“Yobosaeyo…”

She speaks, she’s still half-sleeping and her eyes are actually still closed.

“Mom? Dad?” She speaks again but the other line doesn’t reply. It’s annoying for Yoona that she decides to look at the screen to see who the one that is really calling her right now. She is getting confused as it is an unknown number.

“Yobosaeyo, it’s Im Yoona speaking here. Who’s there?” She’s still lying on her bed but she opens her eyes this time, talking lazily. Curiousity bothers her.

The person on the other line can’t be happier to hear Yoona’s voice that he can’t even make a sound. His only purpose of calling Yoona is to hear that girl’s voice and the mission is completed right now. He hears it but he wants some more. Hyukjae decides to wait until Yoona ends the call.

“Yobosaeyo, are you there?” Yoona innocently asks again, wishing that this time she’ll get a response. She wants to end the call actually but she has this feeling that she should talk to this mysterious caller.

“I’m hanging up if you don’t talk…” Yoona threatens the silent Hyukjae but of course Hyukjae doesn’t care.

And all of the sudden, Yoona gets up, sitting on her bed because she feels like the person who is calling her right now is someone she’s been waiting for. She isn’t sure as well if she is right or not but she feels the urge to ask. She doesn’t know from where this idea comes from and she’s only making a bet or a guess but there’s nothing wrong to ask right?!

“Hyukjae-oppa, is that you?”

“Oppa… please tell me… is this really you?”

She is begging to know.

Hyukjae can hear the sobbing voice and he immediately knows that Yoona is probably crying right now. Well yeah, Hyukjae is crying as well though. He’s always your soft-hearted guy who will cry easily, moreover when he hears the pleading voice of the girl in his dreams.

“Oppa, where are you? Don’t you know that I’ve been desperately missing you?”

Yoona is crying badly right now, contemplating whether is it even logical to talk with an unknown person or not. She feels stupid and idiot to talk on the phone like this when she doesn’t even know who she is talking to. However, she keeps going because she needs to let it out, she needs to throw away her frustration.

“Are you ok? Are you doing alright? At least I want to know that you’re healthy.”

Every word from is slashing Hyukjae’s heart into pieces but Hyukjae knows that he can’t talk to the girl now. He has an unfinished business to deal with.

“Do you even miss me?”

Yoona is really hopeless right now as she strikes that question. This is the first time she shows her doubts about Hyukjae.

“Do you even remember your promise to me?”

It slices Hyukjae’s heart even more. He gasps and covers his mouth to prevent his crying voice being heard by Yoona.

“I guess you don’t then…”

Yoona knows that she actually shouldn’t say that but she needs him to at least answer so she can wait peacefully.

“But please… please oppa… let me know… is this really you or not? Don’t make me feel stupid. Please…”

Yoona bursts out right now. She can’t control her tears and her running nose and her sobbing voice. She talks just like that and Hyukjae realizes that calling the girl is a wrong decision.

“At least… just let me know it’s you… if you don’t want to talk… fine… I understand it oppa… but please make a sign for me…”

She inhales some air before proceeding to another sentence.

“If it’s really you and you’re doing alright, please make double knock sound… but if it’s not you and you only make a prank call on me… make a single knock sound.”

She knows it’s even more peculiar to make some options like this.

“I’ll wait… I’ll count until 10… and I’ll hang up after that.” Yoona is serious with her words right now. Whether it’s Hyukjae or not, it’s too painful for her to cope with this anonymus call.

“One… two… three…” She starts counting.

She breathes heavily again because she is still crying.

“Four… five… six… seven…”

She really hopes that it’s still on “one” though… She really wants to wait until she gets the answer.

“Eight…” She pauses again.

“Eight…” She repeats the same number, she’s afraid to continue. She’s afraid that she’ll really lose him. She’s afraid to say “nine” because it will be “ten” after that.

“Eight…” She keeps saying this number but she eventually gives up.

“Nine…”

“Please…” She says to herself, showing just how much she wants to hear a double knock.

But the pain takes over her and Yoona cries even more now before she says “Ten, I’m hanging up now. Good night.”

She almost presses the end call button when a very low “Knock… Knock…” can be heard followed by a long “Beep”, indicating that the other line has hung up first before Yoona.

Hyukjae can’t bear it anymore. He decides to make a knock voice by knocking his own cell phone twice before hanging up. He feels sorry and he feels guilty. He can’t forgive himself but he believes that this is the best choice.

After hearing the confirmation, Yoona can only stay crying… holding her cell phone and putting it against her chest. She is holding it tighly. Her tears seem won’t stop anytime soon and at the same time… she thinks about the worst case ever… it’s probably goodbye.

##########

A/N
What should I say? I tried to put every couple in this "last chapter", I mean last chapter of "waiting". As starting from the next chapter, I'll try to unveil the truth one by one. You'll know who is the killer soon. I hope you guess it right keke ^_^ And the next chapter probably will be very (very) short because it will act as a "bridge" between the past and the future, I don't know though, let's see later. I don't know how many chapters to go exactly but we are left with only Hyukjae's lies now. IS HE REALLY THE KILLER??? Hummm, won't tell you now even when it's so itchy. I'm sorry for my grammar errors, typos, and miss-spellings. I hope you can forgive me and please do leave some comments keke. They are really loved and motivate me alot. Thank you.

 

And I'm totally surprised that there are 10 subscribers now... I didn't really see the notification.. Goshhhh... so freaking happy... call me "Re"... kekeke... glad you like my fic and I hope you can drop some comments ;p