8 - The Third Liar

The Liar(s)

8 – THE THIRD LIAR

Writer’s POV

Yoona and Donghae are heading home. They just had such a plain dinner with Donghae being gloomy all the time and Yoona being the clueless one.

It is so irritating for Yoona that she decides to break the silence.

“Sunbae, you promised me before to finish the review right? Have you done that?”

Yoona asks Donghae who is driving carefully. Yoona actually doesn’t care whether Donghae has finished the review or not, she just needs some break from the silence.

“Yes, I’ve done that.” Donghae lazily replies.

“Glad to know that you and Jessica-sshi have done the review.” Yoona isn’t sure why she is showing her care and she just assumed that Donghae did the review with Jessica.

However, it isn’t a good idea to eventually mention Jessica as Donghae frowned just by hearing that name. The truth is, Donghae did the review alone.

“You know what? I never break my promise, but could you please not mention her name?” The volume of his voice is raised.

“Whose name? Jessica-sshi?” Yoona asks again.

“Yes! That name, I hate hearing that name so please don’t ever talk about her with me.” He doesn’t stop there as he continues. “And for your information, I did the review by myself.” It’s so clear that Donghae doesn’t like to talk again after concluding his sentence.

He is actually shouting at Yoona just right now.

Yoona, once again, is becoming more curious. Even after being shouted at, she can’t blow up her curiosity. It just added her anxiety actually.

“Seriously, what’s wrong with him?” She says to herself.

Even though she knows that Donghae is not in a good mood, she decides to make sure about something. Therefore, soon as they arrive in front of Yoona’s house and before Donghae can step out from the car to open the car’s door for Yoona, the latter bluntly asks.

“Lee Donghae, what’s wrong with you tonight?”

However, the object doesn’t answer.

“Sunbae… I know it’s harsh but could you please tell me what’s happening here?” She then pauses for few seconds again. She is waiting for Donghae’s response but as he doesn’t reply her, she continues talking.

“It’s frustrating to be a clueless person I am, do you know that? I really don’t know what happened to you… so I thought that maybe you need someone to talk to because you look so… hopeless there… and as I tried to be nicer, what did I get? You completely shouted at me. Come on, I’m not your trash can! I’m your girlfriend after all, well… even a fake one, I’m still your girlfriend!”

And then Yoona steps out from the car. She loses her patient. A loud “bam!” could be heard when she slams the door. She doesn’t give any chance for Donghae to strike back.

She almost reaches the gate of her house when Donghae shouts at her again.

“My parents are going to divorce!” There he shouts.

Yoona stops from walking as she turns around to face her sunbae that has stepped out from the car.

“Are you satisfied now?!” Donghae sarcastically asks Yoona.

For Yoona, it feels like being hit by a bullet right at her heart. It is really hurting to just even hear that. Not that because of the pity Yoona feels towards Donghae right now but because what she just said before to him. She is in a deep guilty at this moment. She thinks that she shouldn’t have shouted back. She regrets snapping at Donghae.

As she is feeling really guilty, Yoona can only apologize after hearing that.

“I… I’m sorry to hear that sunbae.”

There’s another constant silence after the apology but then Donghae ends this silence.

“It’s ok, never mind… I shouldn’t have told you actually.”

He gets back into the car and then drives himself home.

Siwon’s POV

“You accepted that request hyung?” I ask my manager by phone.

“Aishhhhh…! Why did you accept that hyung?” I ask him again and my manager explains the whole situation.

Being in anger, I hung up. I’m in my car right now, I just ended my morning lecture and am about to go home but I delay going back home. I can’t drive while being emotional. Aishhh!

Damn! Why did he accept the request?! Stupid manager!

“It’s suitable with your current image so it’s a good chance to strengthen your Church boy image. Besides, it’s your campus’ anniversary. I know you had asked me to reject the request but as I think about it again, it will be beneficial for you.”

Those words from my manager’s mouth keep resounding inside my head.

Church boy image? What’s with that Church boy image? It’s only a lie to gain sympathy and popularity after all. It’s bull!

Yeah… it’s the image created by my company. People in my company believe that such kind and caring image will help me gaining popularity and love from fans. However, I’m totally not that kind of Church boy.

I’m hell far from that image. I’m not your Church boy and I hate that image for sure. I just want to be myself.

To be honest, I’m frustrated. Yes it does help me becoming popular and I enjoy the success and fame. However, it’s torturing me. People are always dreaming to become a celebrity but I swear, if I can turn back the time, I’ll choose not to become one of them.

It’s not the lack of sleep or tight schedule that bothers me. It’s just how I slowly change. Well I’m forced to change my personality. On the screen, I’m a different person and off the screen, I’m another one. I do hope that someone will take my place. I will give everything to that someone to exchange his or her life with me.

I know I’m just a selfish liar. And for the sake of those lies I have committed, I should keep pretending and acting like a real Church boy, kind and caring.

It’s tiring… and sometimes, I even think about committing suicide. It’s the instant way to end all of these things right?! Many actors and actresses have done that and somehow, I can actually understand why they did that.

Once you let yourself become the other one, you need to pretend to be like that forever, especially when you are a celebrity. Once you deviate from that image then you are no one, people won’t recognize you again.

It really feels like choosing your left hand or right hand. You don’t want to do that but then you find you have to. In the end, you can’t choose because both are important and then you live your life with agony as the result.

I really just want to be myself… who am I then?

I don’t know, after pretending and pretending to create my image, I don’t even know who I am. I’m not sure what things that I like and dislike.

All I ever want now is just to have a normal life, a normal campus life… I hope that I can find my identity before I really forget who I really am.

“Tok tok tok…”

Suddenly I hear some knocks. Aigooo, it’s the president again. She knocks on the car’s door. I lower the automatic window.

“Can I help you Tiffany-sshi?” There I change myself again, I smile to her and my tone is completely nice.

“I… I just want to say thank you for accepting the request.” She replies to me. She’s very nice actually.

“Ah… that thing, it’s nothing, you are very welcome.” I tell her.

Honestly, it’s burdensome, you know that?! How I wish I can say that to her.

“Hmmm… and I want to apologize also actually…” She speaks again.

“Apologize? To me?” I want to make sure.

“Yes, to you. To be honest, yesterday, when you left me even before hearing what I was going to say, I thought that you were very selfish… and yeah… sorry for that. Now, I change my perspective about you. That sweet and kind image really suits you Siwon-sshi. No doubt you have so many fans and are so loved by many people. Keke.”

She explains why she is apologizing but then it becomes really uneasy for me. Arghhh!!! It’s better if you think that I’m selfish though. It’s better for me rather than being this fake Choi Siwon. But I can do nothing.

“Ah… it’s ok. No need to worry about that. I don’t mind at all.” I say that to her and she bows before leaving me.

I’m the one who should apologize though… for lying of course.

Hyukjae’s POV

Here it is another day in this campus. I know I should try forgetting Yoona but I just can’t. I always come to the campus hoping to see her walking or smiling. She is the source of my energy because my life is too miserable.

Hmmm, that would be my biggest secret from Donghae and it becomes complicated because she is Donghae’s now.

As I walk along the corridor, I drink my favorite strawberry milk. I love strawberry too much, keke. I like its color and I like the taste. It’s sometimes so sweet but can also be sour. Am I weird? Keke.

Walking alone is always the best, no eyes following your movement. If I’m with Hae or Yoona, people will gaze at us and I don’t like it.

I’ll just think about how peaceful my life is without Yoona and how I should try to forget her when suddenly she calls me from my back. Oh my God, is it some kind of test?!

“Oppa… Hyukjae-oppa.”

I turn my body to face her, only to find that she is drinking the very same strawberry milk. I wonder why I blush just by knowing this.

“Y-Yoona… g-good m-morning.”

I greet her. She smiles at me and just by seeing that smile, I’m reassured that I really can’t forget her. The signal from my brain tells my heart that it’s forbidden and impossible to forget her. I’m just so much in love with her.

“Neh… good morning oppa. Do you have some time?” I think she notices also that we are drinking the same strawberry milk but maybe she doesn’t bother about it. Yeah, it’s only me who is very happy because Yoona and I are drinking the same strawberry milk. It’s so stupid to think that she’ll be amused by that.

“I t-think I h-have. W-why?” I ask her.

“I need to talk with you. Truth is I want to ask you something.” She explains her reason.

“S-sure.” I agree and then we start walking together towards the library.

Kyuhyun’s POV

“Guess what?” Fany asks me.

“What is what?” I ask her back.

“Choi Siwon accepts our request. He’ll do the charity with us. I can’t be happier now Kyu.” She smiles brightly.

“Our request? Do you mean your request, don't you?” I ask again.

“No no, our request… aren’t you going to be my personal assistant for this year anniversary?” She asks back.

“Hahaha, yah, Fany-ah… I’m just helping you to find some idea about the event. It doesn’t mean I’m really going to participate. You should have known me better. I’m not that kind of people who’ll trouble myself with the anniversary event preparations and so forth. I’ll 100% choose playing games over that.”

I complain to her. I never agree to be her personal assistant and I’ll never agree.

“But Kyu… come on, after all, it’s your idea that we’re going to do some charity event with Choi Siwon this year.” She begs.

“Well, I’m sure you can handle it well without me Fany-ah... Uhuk! Uhuk!”

I try to comfort her but I cough at the end.

“Aishhh… I still hope you’ll help me though.” She finally gives up and I smile to her.

“Hwaiting!!!” I cheer for her.

I can still smile for now but if I know it before, I should have accepted her request for me to be her personal assistant. Again, I never know that my smile right now will be my tears at the end.

Writer’s POV

“Ah I see, that’s why he looks so down.” Yoona tells Hyukjae after the senior explains about the details of Donghae parents’ divorce.

“I-I w-was actually t-told to k-keep it as s-secret s-so…” Hyukjae is cut by Yoona before completing his sentence.

“I understand oppa. Besides, last night, he already told me about the divorce so yeah… I just need more explanation. Thank you so much for trusting me.” Yoona smiles to Hyukjae. It’s always so comfortable for her whenever she is with Hyukjae.

As for Hyukjae, seeing the smile is like a gift from God. It really shines through his eyes. Moreover, there are only books around them as they’re in the campus’ library so it’s a pleasure to see Yoona’s smile. She’s really pleasant to look.

“A-anytime Y-Yoon-A, a-as long as I-I can h-help you then I-I’ll help.” Hyukjae doesn’t dare himself to face Yoona now.

“Thanks… and by the way, I just remembered something actually. I am so curious about it. Do you know about Donghae-oppa and Jessica-sshi relationship? Do they know each other? I mean more than just knowing that they are in the same campus or class.”

Hyukjae is surprised. He doesn’t predict that this question will come. Well, he doesn’t know that Yoona is the type to be jealous. He thinks that isn’t it the sign of jealousy if a girlfriend asking about another girl related to her boyfriend.

“Does it mean…? Does it mean Yoona likes Hae?”

Hyukjae asks himself only not to find the answer.

It really breaks his heart but he slowly responds to the question.

“H-hon… honestl-ly, I…”

##########

A/N
Thank you very much for keep following my fic. I hope you can enjoy this chapter as well. So 3 are done, 6 more liars to go. Just for your information, the killer (in the prologue) will be revealed in the near-end chapters.