Thorns

Don't Let Me Dance Alone (My Dancing Boy Sequel)

Niel tapped Rachel on the shoulder as they began to leave the classroom. Rachel turned, and smiled.
“What’s up Emotional Voice?” she asked happily.
“Wanna go to the cafe again?” Niel asked.

He felt the urge to make Changjo jealous again.

“Yeah sure, I’ve got nothing on,” Rachel replied.
Niel’s eyes brightened, his hand clasping the small box he had in his pocket.
“Well come on then, we don't wanna get there when it’s busy,” Niel winked.
“Pabo, don't tell me what to do,” Rachel replied.

He took her hand, and Rachel quickly grabbed her bag as they headed out of the room.
“Do you need anything?” he asked.
Rachel shook her head, but she wanted to see Changjo first. “Hold on, I need to go to the library.”
“I’ll come with you,” Niel began.
Rachel held out her hands. “You don’t have to! I’ll meet you at the gates, okay?”

Niel looked at her. “Okay…”

Rachel gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. “I’ll be quick!” she called as she hurriedly walked away.

Niel stood grounded on the spot, a hand on his cheek and a faint smile on his lips.

***

Changjo sat on one of the library desks, relieved that he managed to get Ginger off his back. She had to leave early for filming, so he set his chair towards the door in case she would come back.
“YAH! Jonghyun!” Rachel walked in hastily, walking up and grabbing his shoulders.
“Whoa! I didn’t do it!” Changjo looked at her, and Rachel could see him swallow nervously.
“What are you on about?”
Changjo looked to the side. “Nothing.”
Rachel looked at him suspiciously for a moment.
“We have to tell Niel! I can’t do it anymore!” Rachel shook his shoulders furiously
Changjo smirked. “Cant do what?”
“Lie to him, Jonghyun.”

He ran a hand through his hair. “Well, when do you want to tell him?”
“You’re getting bad regrowth,” Rachel said.
“You’re putting it off just as much as I am Rachel.” Changjo rolled his eyes.
“Look, if you’re going to tell him, then tell him! I’m not going to talk for most of it.”
“You’re the one that chose me Rachel.” Changjo crossed his arms, knowing he made Rachel reach a dead end in their discussion.

Rachel sighed, and twisted her lips. “Are you coming to my place again?”
“Just say the time jagiya,” Changjo replied.
Rachel stood up, putting the chair back. She leant down, and kissed Changjo lightly. “Estimate. You’re good at doing that.”

Changjo smiled, pulling her down for another kiss. “Don’t leave me.”
“You’re making me late, stop making me back out on my promises!” Rachel felt her knees go weak as Changjo kissed her.
“Fine, be that way. I’ll see you soon.”

Rachel moved to leave, and she braced herself as she walked out of the library to meet Niel.

***

As the waiter wrote down the ‘couple set’ on his notepad, Niel took out the small box he had in his pocket.
“What’s that?” Rachel asked, her chin leaning on her hand.
Niel smiled. “It’s for you. Open it.” he handed the box to her, and Rachel’s eyes widened as she slowly opened the box.

Two silver rings, one which had two bands intertwining with each other, the other had the same, only with thorns.

“Yah, Daniel. What is this?” Rachel asked quietly.
“What do you think?” Niel asked as the waiter placed their order on the table.
“...couple rings...”Rachel whispered.
“The one with the thorns is for me.” Niel gently took the box from her hands, taking ‘his’ ring out.
“Why’s that?” Rachel asked.
“You’ve caused me so much trouble. I’ve never been more confused in my life,” Niel replied quietly, taking a sip from the shake.

Rachel bit her lip, taking the ring and putting on her right forefinger. It fit perfectly, and she wondered how Niel figured out her ring size.
“Does it fit?” Niel asked.
“It does.” Rachel replied.
“Good.” Niel smiled, and he motioned for Rachel to begin eating.

***

As Changjo reached the door to Rachel’s house, he realised no-one was home yet.
“Hmph, I’ll wait here then,” Changjo said quietly to himself as he sat on the front steps.

Rachel walked down her street, staring intently at the ring that Niel gave her. It was beautiful, and silver was her favoured jewellery over gold.

How the hell did he know? Rachel thought.

As she opened the gate, she saw Changjo sitting on the stairs. “See, you’re good at estimating,” Rachel smiled.
“I'm quite proud of myself. Shall we go inside?” Changjo pulled her into his arms, taking the keys from her hand.

As he opened the door, rustling could be heard from the kitchen.
“What the hell?” Rachel continued to walk ahead.

And found a girl busily eating at the table.

“WHO ARE YOU!?” Rachel asked, pointing in shock.
“What’s wrong?” Changjo rushed to stand next to Rachel, equally shocked.

“Oh! Hi! I'm Emily!” the girl spoke in clear English, despite full of food.
“Why are you in my house?!” Rachel replied.
“I live here!” Emily replied with a smile.
“The hell you don't!”

Emily held out her hands. “Seriously, ask your mum.”
Rachel sighed, dialling her mother’s number as Changjo crossed his arms.
“Umma, there’s a girl in the house.” Rachel began.
“Oh, I forgot to tell you, she’s the transfer student from Australia. She’ll be staying with us for a while.” Lilliana replied.
“And you tell me this now?”
“Make her feel welcome okay?”
“She’s eating all the food.” Rachel sighed.
“Trust me; you’ll get along with her. And she’ll keep your English in check.”

Rachel nodded and hung up, while Changjo began to start a conversation with Emily.
“How are you?” Emily asked as Changjo sat on the table.
“No, my name is Changjo,” he replied smoothly in English.

Emily burst into laughter, while Rachel smacked Changjo on the head. “Pabo, don't talk.” She said quietly as Changjo rubbed the back of his head.