Epilogue: A Great Life

Pinky Promise

*** I’M DONE! OH MY GOD. I just realized it took me three years to write this story but I DID IT. This last chapter/epilogue was actually drafted for months but today I just had the urge to write and so I edited the ending of the previous chapter a bit (so go back and read that!) and then I came back to this chapter. I had so much fun writing this chapter, and I know I say this after every chapter but THIS is my favorite in the whole story.

Okay, enough of me rambling. I hope you enjoy!

~

The week felt longer than usual and Seunghyun was dying to get home. He’s been at his office since dawn and it was well past sunset. He could only think of his girlfriend who was most likely back from work and sprawled out on the couch watching her dramas. The image in his head made him smile and he immediately began to put his things away. When his secretary came inside to update him on more work, he told her he was going home and would worry about all this later. The secretary was obviously surprised and stuttered some words about him not being able to leave now but he didn’t pay attention. Seunghyun took his coat and left the office.

He didn’t know why but he felt even more excited than usual to see his girl, and drove with a smile plastered on his face. When he opened the door to their apartment, he was welcomed by darkness. All the lights were turned off and there was no sound from the television.

“Dara? I’m home.” He walked through the hallway and as he placed his briefcase and coat on the floor he called out for Dara again. But before he could say her full name, he stood frozen when he saw what was before him.

The lights , but were dim. The room was filled with lit candles and the coffee table was decorated with rose petals. Sitting on top of the table was his favorite bottle of champagne and two glasses. Seunghyun looked around the room and finally saw Dara in the corner of the living room staring him. She was wearing the white dress he had gotten for her in Singpore, the dress she said she would only wear on special occasions.

“Dara what is this?” His voice was barely a whisper. He couldn’t manage to speak any louder.

Dara walked over to him silently with a smile on her face. She took his hands in hers and brought them up to her lips, giving them a soft kiss; she told him she loved him.

“I’m going to give you a disclosure right now. I’m going to say some really cheesy things right now, so please just hear me out okay? I’m already really embarrassed and nervous.” Seunghyun could only look at her with confusion in his eyes but she continued anyway.

“Seunghyun, when I first came into this house I had no idea what I was getting into. I was alone and scared and also slightly excited. I was finally going to be the independent woman I dreamed of being. Then I found out that you, a man, were my roommate and I swear I thought I made a huge mistake. I almost debated leaving in the middle of the night and sleeping in some sauna. But as we spent more time together I realized you weren’t so bad. And after a while I don’t know how or when but I fell in love with you. And I fell hard. You ruined all the plans and checklists I created before moving here. I was supposed to find myself and not look at boys and just be all about myself. But I realized now why they say ‘falling’ in love, you don’t really choose to step into love. You tumble forwards and scrape your knee, but then there you are, in love.” Dara couldn’t help but play with her promise ring as she said this. It was a nervous habit she picked up after the new addition in Singapore. After taking a deep breath, she continued.

“I think it was because how much you surprised me. You look so mean and tough and cold but you’re exactly the opposite. You’re so gentle and kind. You always asked me about my day and if I was okay. You made sure that I felt at home. And whenever I tried to sneak a peek at you, you’d already be looking at me.

“Then when I trusted you with the biggest secret of my life you never let me down. Instead, you turned that secret into my strength. For once in my life I was able to look back at my actions and not be disgusted. I felt empowered and you made me feel safe. When everything felt like it was falling apart and changing, you were by my side and you were the only one who told me it was okay to cry and have a moment of weakness. Because of you I learned that crying didn’t make me weak, it only made me human. And I will forever be grateful that I met you. I will never take you for granted because I’m so scared that one day I might lose you. I hope I never do because I love you so much. I love everything about you. I love that gentle smile of yours when I’m telling you another one of my crazy stories. I love your dimples. I love it when you quietly sing to me when I had a bad day even though you think you’re tone deaf. I love how you laugh at my stupid jokes, and I love that you’re such a gentleman. Your mature yet childish ways are exactly what I need in my life and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I just want to thank you for everything you’ve done for me, and I know you won’t stop even when I tell you to. I know I’ve been selfish because all I do is take, but I swear I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you as happy as you make me. I know I’m talking for way too long but you always complain about me not being romantic, so this is what you get when I am.”

Before Seunghyun could try to find his voice and say anything, Dara moved Seunghyun towards the couch, where she sat in front of him on the coffee table.

“I know you’re confused right now, I see it in your eyes. So I’ll explain.” Seunghyun found that despite not being able to speak right now, he did have the ability to nod his head.

“Remember in Singapore, when you gave me the promise ring, you told me that it was still too early for us to think about marriage.” Seunghyun’s heart rate spiked at the last word.

“Well I agreed at that moment. But, it’s been a while since that day and I don’t think it would be too fast for us now. I know with all my heart that I love you, and you are the man that I want to spend the rest of my life with. You make me so happy and I think I know how to make you happy. This isn’t the most traditional way but I’ve never really been very traditional, so… Choi Seunghyun will you marry me?” Dara’s hands found his again as she waited for his response. She tried searching his eyes for any answer but she wasn’t very successful. His silence was making her nervous.

“I know since I’m the one proposing I should have a ring for you but I didn’t know if that would be going too far? I also didn’t really know I would be doing this today and I just-” Dara began rambling but was stopped when Seunghyun finally said her name. He didn’t say anything more as he retrieved one of his hands back to reach into the inside pocket of his blazer. Dara watched him in confusion.

He brought out his hand again and placed it over her hand. Seunghyun dropped something into her hand and when she looked down her heart dropped. It was a ring, the most beautiful ring she’d ever seen. She looked into his eyes more confused than ever.

“Yes.” There was that smile that she loved the most.

“Yes?” Her voice was barely a whisper but she couldn’t help it.

“Yes, I’ll marry you. But only if you marry me.” There were those dimples and mischievous eyes. Her expression made him throw his head back in laughter.

“I bought this ring for you months ago because I wanted to propose to you. But I couldn’t find the right timing, I was going to wait for our anniversary but then you proposed so yeah.” Seunghyun picked up the ring from her still open palm in mid air and placed it on her left ring finger along with the promise ring. The diamond shined proudly.

“I’ve been ready to marry you for a while now, you don’t know how much I want to be your husband. I love you so much Dara and you don’t have to worry, I’m not going anywhere. You can’t get rid of me that easily.” The tears in Dara’s eyes were uncontrollable as he mentioned the word husband. She moved closer to wrap her arms around his neck in a tight embrace. He pulled her in closer to sit on his lap as his arms s around her waist. The couple took in everything for a while as they hugged. Then Dara pulled away only to place a kiss on his more than willing lips.

“Congratulations, you’re now Mrs. Sandara Park.” His voice was slightly breathless but twice as y from their kiss.

“Thank you, but I hope you know, you totally stole my moment.” She feigned a scowl as she playfully smacked his shoulder.

“Well next time, you should be more prepared. Plus you’ll never be more romantic than me, but it was a nice attempt.”

“Excuse me, you call this unprepared-” Her sentence was cut off as Seunghyun pulled her in again to kiss her. She didn’t really mind.

The night went on as the newly engaged couple celebrated their future life together. It was going to be a great one.

THE END

 

****I really hope you all enjoyed this story because I had a lot of fun writing it. I want to apologize for never updating and taking literally three years to write such a simple story. I’m not the best writer and my writing style does vary but I appreciate you all still taking the time to read, subscribe, and comment. You make my day when I see your positive and oh so sweet comments. Never did I ever think that hundreds of you would read this, but I’m so glad you did. And I hope sometime in this story, I was able to make you smile or just make a tiny tiny difference to your day (for the better I hope). Seriously, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I really appreciate all of you. Comment on your thoughts below! I’d love to know what you all thought. Did you like the ending? Love it? Hate it?