Love Grew From Pain

Love, Blood And Tears
Dongwoon lay on the floor of his house, surrounded by bottles of soju, whiskey and beer. His eyes were red from crying and he stank strongly of alcohol and vomit.

" It's been three months since she left me... ", he thought.

His fingers felt all over the carpet until they met the neck of a bottle. He brought it to his lips and took another swig of the soju. He drank mindlessly, letting the alcohol spill down the side of his lips and stain the carpet.

His head pounded painfully and rang dizzily. His vision was blurred with drunkeness and tears. His whole body felt heavy and numb.

" Minji... Wae? ", he cried as he hurled the bottle across the room.

The bottle broke into a million sharp pieces. Dongwoon grabbed the closest shard near his face and cut his arm severely. He carved Minji's name into his arm deeply, but the physical pain was nothing compared to the pain his heart was experiencing currently.

Minji was his ex-girlfriend. She had broken up with him for another guy.

Suddenly, his phone buzzed. It was a notification. It said:

Today at 4 PM: Minji leaving 4 Europe


He hid his bleeding arm under his shirt's long sleeve, grabbed his hoodie and ran out into the cold, rainy night. Minji was going to leave for Europe today and he wanted to see her one more time.

He took a cab to the airport and as soon as he reached his destination, he hastily paid the fare and ran to search for Minji. He spotted her with her boyfriend and ran towards her.

" Minji! Minji! ", he screamed.

Minji and her boyfriend turned their heads towards him. Minji's boyfriend glowered darkly, but she held his arm to calm him down.

Dongwoon caught up with them, but suddenly Minji's boyfriend punched him in the face and he fell down with a bloodied nose.

" Didn't Minji-ah already tell you to stay away from her?! ", growled her boyfriend.

" Dae Ho oppa, let me handle this. ", said Minji sternly.

The boy stepped back with clenched fists. Minji knelt beside Dongwoon and hissed in his ear.

" I told you not to come for me. You and I are through! ", she reminded him.

" Minji, please don't go. I love you. ", cried Dongwoon.

" Leave me alone, Dongwoon. And this time, do not ever try to come back for me or I'll let Dae Ho oppa beat you up. ", she threatened and left for the plane with her boyfriend.

Dongwoon laid on the floor, crying softly to himself. He felt his whole world come crashing down on top of him. The last thing he remembered was him walking aimlessly, crashed into a brick wall and out.

**********

Dongwoon slowly came to. He found himself on a bed and the room had emerald green walls. He saw a pretty lavender dress hanging in an ajar closet and guessed that he was in a girl's room.

Suddenly, the door opened and a pretty girl wearing large nerd glasses entered the room with a basin of warm water, a towel, ointment and a length of bandages.

" Oh! You're finally awake! ", said the girl with a smile.

" Wh--who...who are you and...where am I? ", asked Dongwoon in a daze.

" Oh, how completely rude of me! ", laughed the girl.  " I'm sorry. I completely forgot to introduce myself. Choneun Han __________ imnida. What's your name? "

" Dongwoon. Choneun Song Dongwoon imnida. ", answered Dongwoon.

" You don't look Korean to me. ", said __________ with a quizzical look on her face.  " You look like one of those handsome American friends of mine back in college. "

Dongwoon smiled a little at that comment. He was starting to like this girl.

" __________-sshi, how did i end up in your room? ", he asked.

" I found you out cold on the airport floor when I had just finished my morning shift in the airport restaurant. Your head had a nasty cut, so I brought you back here to treat it. ", replied __________.

Dongwoon felt his forehead until a sting hit his head a little.

" Don't touch it, Dongwoon-sshi. ", said __________ as she put the damp towel to Dongwoon's head.

Dongwoon winced as the cloth touched his cut and the water stung the sensitive nerves underneath his cut. __________ gently dabbed at his wound, applied ointment and put a bandage over the cut.
Then, she cleaned up the dried blood from Dongwoon's nose.

" There. You're all done! ", grinned __________.

" Kamsahamnida. ", said Dongwoon.

" You're welcome. "

Just then, ________'s eyes caught sight of the dried blood on Dongwoon's shirt sleeve. She tried to pull up his sleeve to see what's wrong with his arm, when Dongwoon stopped her.

" No! Don't! ", he said hurriedly as he hid his arm.

" Dongwoon-sshi, if there's a wound on your arm and it's not treated now, it will be infected later. ", said __________.  " Now, show me your arm. "

Hesitantly, Dongwoon showed __________ his arm. __________ saw Minji's name carved into Dongwoon's arm.

" Dongwoon-sshi,...what happened to your arm? ", asked __________ in a horrored whisper.

With a sigh, Dongwoon told __________ everything about Minji and him. When he had finished,  __________ stood up.

" Dongwoon-sshi, you shouldn't do things like that. ", she said.  " You still have your whole life ahead of you and there are much better girls than Minji. "

" Y--you're...you're right. ", said Dongwoon softly.

__________ tended to Dongwoon's arm wounds and sat on the ground next to the bed. Dongwoon then tried to strike up a conversation with __________.

" __________-sshi, what's your job? ", he asked.

" Me? Well, I am a dolphin trainer. ", she said.  " I've been training dolphins for shows for over 6 years already. Dolphins are my favorite marine creatures. "

" Jinja? "

" Ne. "

__________ then stood up. Dongwoon got up from the bed.

" Are you hungry? I could make you something to eat. ", she offered.

" No thanks. ", answered Dongwoon.  " I should be going home. "

" Oh. Do you want me to drive you back? ", asked __________.

" No thanks. You've done so much for me already. ", said Dongwoon with a smile.

But __________ took out some money from her pocket and dumped it into Dongwoon's hands.

" Here. Take a cab. Have a safe journey back, okay? "

" I will. Thank you again, __________-sshi. ", thanked Dongwoon.

" Just call me __________, Dongwoon-sshi. ", smiled __________.

" Okay then, __________-ah, but you have to call me oppa then. ", he said with a laugh.

" Okay, oppa. ", laughed __________.  " Bye! "

" Bye! "

With that, Dongwoon left __________'s house and took a cab home.


**********

A couple of weeks later, Dongwoon went to see a water show. He sat in the bleachers among the crowd and waited for the show to start.

While waiting, he couldn't help but feel as though Minji was sitting next to him and wish she was still with him. But then, __________'s gentle and smiling face popped up in his mind.

He was stunned. Why did __________'s face suddenly appear in his mind?

The show started, snapping him out of his thoughts. The first on the show was dolphin tricks.

At the mention of dolphins, __________ appeared in his mind again.

He shook his head and tried to focus on the show in front of him. He almost fell out of his seat when he saw __________ walk out with hoops, balls and a bucket of fish.

__________ bowed politely with a smile and the audience clapped. Dongwoon's eyes were fixated on __________ the whole time.

When her eyes met his, she smiled at him, making his heart leap.

As she performed tricks with the dolphins, Dongwoon couldn't tear his gaze off her. There was something about her that made him feel soft.

Was it her beauty? Was it her kindness? He didn't know.

When the show ended and everyone had left, he went backstage to meet her. She was playing with the dolphins and feeding them some fish. She just happened to turn her head and see Dongwoon approaching her.

" Oh! Hi, Dongwoon oppa! Long time no see! ", greeted __________ brightly as she stood up.

" H--hi, __________-ah. ", said Dongwoon as he walked over to her slowly.

A baby dolphin swam by him and made a shrill squeaking noise as it splashed water at him with its little tail, wetting him and his clothes.  __________ giggled a little.

" Are you alright, oppa? ", she asked as she handed him a thick towel.

" Ne. ", said Dongwoon as he dried his hair.

" So, did you enjoy the show, oppa? ", asked __________ as she threw a fish to a waiting dolphin.

" Ne. You were really good. The dolphins are really talented. ", answered Dongwoon.  " May I feed them? "

" Sure. ", said __________ with a smile as she handed him a fish.

Dongwoon fed a dolphin when suddenly, he fell into the waterwith a splash, when someone pushed him in from behind.

" Aaaah! "

He screamed as he fell into the water with the dolphins.  __________ laughed as she petted a barking seal next to her. Dongwoon resurfaced, spitting out water.

" Yah! Who did that?! ", he asked.

" My little evil barking seal here did that. ", grinned __________.  " How's the water, oppa? "

" C--c--cold! ", said Dongwoon with chattering teeth.

Laughing, _________ stretched out her hand for Dongwoon to grab, but when he did, he pulled her in after him.

" Kyaaaaaaaaaaah! ", shrieked __________ as she fell into the water.

" How's the water, __________-ah? ", asked Dongwoon cheekily.

" You...!!! ", snarled __________ and she splashed water in his face.

Dongwoon merely laughed as he splashed water back at her. They played in the water for some time with the dolphins and the seal helping __________ spray Dongwoon.

Later after they had gotten out of the water and dried off, Dongwoon looked at ____________.

" __________-ah? "

" Ne, oppa? "

" I...I dunno how to say this, but...I...I think I like you. ", he stammered.

__________ kept quiet for a minute before holding Dongwoon's hand gently.

" I like you too, oppa. ", she whispered with a soft smile.

" Jin--jinja? "

She nodded.

" __________-ah, will you....be my girlfriend? ", he asked.

" Yes. Yes, I will, oppa. ", answered __________.

Dongwoon kissed __________ gently and she responded.

" Saranghaeyo, oppa. ", murmured __________.

" Saranghaeyo, jagi. My love for you grew from my pain. ", said Dongwoon.  " Thank you... "