Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Playful Kiss/Mischievous Kiss 2

 

nbf.jpg

Oh HaNi

I think it’s a miracle for two people to like each other at the same time.

One day, will that miracle come true for me too?

 

~

I rolled over, took a deep breath and snuggled closer to SeungJo’s sleeping body.

 

He was warm, and smelt of cologne and fruity shampoo, the typical SeungJo scent.

 

He had fallen asleep facing inward towards me, with one arm out in front of him and the other strewn carelessly over his face.

 

My eyes felt glued together and my mouth was dry and raspy. My head throbbed with pain.

 

I lay my head gently on SeungJo’s arm and groaned as a strong feeling of nauseousness rolled through my body.

 

I hiccupped slightly as I felt bile rise up through my throat.

 

My eyes flew open as I bolted out bed and raced out the room and to the bathroom across the hall.

 

I fell to my knees in front of the toilet bowl and lifted the lid just in time as I retched heavily into the toilet.

 

Shudders ran through my body as last night’s dinner made a disfigured reappearance.

 

The hair around my face stuck to my sweaty face and neck.

 

My hands were clumsy and uncoordinated as I tried to pull my hair out of my face.

 

Suddenly a soft gentle hand landed on mine and pushed it away to pull my hair back.

 

A small hand landed on my back and was comfortingly rubbing me. It felt very soothing.

 

I continued to gag and sweat into the toilet bowl, and the hands patiently held my hair back and rubbed my back.

 

With one last groaning effort, I retched up what was left in my now-empty stomach and fell back onto the cold tiled floor in exhaustion.

 

I hastily wiped the back of my hand across my face in disgust.

 

Even it the nauseousness had passed, it had drained all my energy and increased the throbbing in my head.

 

“Oh HaNi, are you okay?” a young voice sounded over me.

 

I peeked through my eyelashes to see a young worried EunJo in his airplane pajamas kneeling next to me.

 

I didn’t have the energy to reply him and just nodded weakly.

 

‘EunJo-ah, thank you. I can take it from here now,” I heard a deep voice from the doorway of the bathroom.

 

I closed my eyes as the voice registered in my mind, not wanting him to see me like this.

 

“Hyung, are you sure she will be alright? She vomited her whole stomach into the toilet!” exclaimed EunJo.

 

“It’s okay EunJo-ah, it’s nothing too serious,” as I heard him walk over and ruffle EunJo’s hair, “Thank you for worrying though, I think this is one of the first times I’ve seen you worry about your sister-in-law” he smiled.

 

“I-I-I… I wasn’t worrying about her! I just needed to use the bathroom… I don’t want her vomiting all over the place every day-y-y. I-it’s d-disgusting!” defended EunJo, stuttering.

 

I grimaced as another wave of nauseousness swept through my body.

 

Adrenaline ran through my veins, just enough for me to jump to my knees and tilt my head over the toilet bowl to gag heavily.

 

My stomach was already empty, so it left me sickeningly retching.

 

This time a larger pair of hands bunched up my hair into a ponytail and twisted it once around in its grasp.

 

I freed one of my hands from the edge of the toilet bowl and clumsily tried to push him away.

 

I don’t want him to see me like this.

 

However, he wasn’t wavered, he stood there still and adamant, free hand landing on my shoulder in comfort.

 

As the second wave of nauseousness passed and my adrenaline faded, I collapsed backward into his arms.

 

“Oh My HaNi, you look absolutely horrible. Looks like morning sickness isn’t agreeing with you,” muttered SeungJo.

 

I used my last ounce of energy to glare at him, as if to say, “Who have you seen have morning sickness actually AGREE with them?!”

 

SeungJo chuckled as he slipped one arm under my knees, the other behind my back and lifted me up.

 

My eyes flew open in shock as the ground disappeared under me.

 

I tried to fight him to put me back down on the bathroom floor, not wanting to vomit all over him.

 

However, his grip was like steel, held me close to his body trapping me.

 

He walked me back to our bedroom and laid me gently on the bed.

 

He pulled the covers tightly over my body and walked out of the room.

 

I stared at his retreating figure with astonishment, was he just going to leave me here?

 

My assumptions were quickly subsided when he walked back with a cup of cold water and a towel.

 

He walked over to me, sat down and pulled me into a sitting position against the headboard and held the water against my lips.

 

The cold water washed down my throat in relief.

 

After organizing a reappearance of last night’s dinner, my throat was dry and sore.

 

After a few gulps of water, SeungJo set the glass down on the bedside table and folded the towel neatly into a palm size square and began wiping the sweat from the face and neck.

 

His touch was soft and gentle; I shuddered when he pushed back my sticky hair to wipe the nape of my neck.

 

I stared at his concentrating eyes as they followed the movement of the towel against my neck and jawline.

 

His eyes were hard and cold.

 

“S-SeungJo-ah,” I whispered, lifting my hand up to cover his hand with the towel, he looked at me, “is everything alright?” I asked worried.

 

He dropped his hand from my face and sighed.

 

He placed the towel on the bedside table next to the glass of water and turned to look at me.

 

“HaNi-ah, morning sickness is only one of the side effects of pregnancy, there will be much more into the future…” he said seriously looking at me, “ I would live my life in peace if I didn’t find you lying on the bathroom ground in a mess with my little brother leaning over to check if you were still alive again,” he said.

 

I opened my mouth to protest, that I was far from dying, and that he ain’t getting no where close to getting rid of me yet, but he quickly put a finger to my lips to shush me and finish listening to what he had to say.

 

“I… just wish that you would rely on me to keep you safe and come to me when you are in need of help.” He took a deep breath and cupped my face between his palms, “I know I didn’t do a good job of that before, but I wish that you can trust me now” he said and looked deeply into my eyes.

 

I noticed that behind the courageous façade, he was indeed worried and scared.

 

Now that my wellbeing counted for more than one life I understand how he would be b with anxiousness.

 

I nodded silently.

 

I felt him sigh and pull me into a tight hug.

 

His hands rested on the back of my head and between my shoulder blades.

 

My hands s around his waist and pulled him close.

 

A smile tugged at the edge of my lips, as I buried my face into SeungJo’s shoulder.

 

~

 

A week passed before I found a note on the bedside table in the morning when I woke up:

 

You’ve had quite the vacation haven’t you, Oh HaNi.

If you don’t want to lose your job you had better get yourself to the hospital, before the head nurse files a suspension or expulsion for long term absence without reason.

 

-BSJ

 

When I had first read the note my face twitched in anger and the note crumpled in my grasp, I had thrown it against the wall in frustration and face-planted back into the pillow.

 

SeungJo knew perfectly well why I was staying home.

 

Was it too hard to pop into the nurses office at the hospital and file an absence for me?!

 

I grumbled and turned over onto my back.

 

It was only then I realized that there was an extra layer of blankets on me, I had gone to bed with a single layer and woke up with two layers.

 

Could it be..?

 

I giggled to myself, SeungJo really did care.

 

My mood escalated rapidly and I soon forgot about the annoying little note he had left.

 

Well at least he had bothered to take the time to write a note…

 

I jumped out of bed and made the bed sheets while humming.

 

I had made it all the way down the stairs and was sitting at the dining table munching down my breakfast when I realized.

 

I didn’t have morning sickness today.

 

My hand subconsciously touched my stomach.

 

“That’s one step forward little one,” I grinned.

 

At that moment mother walked into the kitchen smiling.

 

“Morning HaNi-ah,” she chirped.

 

“Morning mother,” I smiled back and let my hand drop from my stomach.

 

“Brrrr~~,” she trembled, “it’s been getting colder these days, the temperature has been rapidly dropping,” she said filling up the kettle in the sink.

 

“Yep, definitely,” I smiled remembering the extra layer of blankets in the morning.

 

“SeungJo scared me last night,” continued mother.

 

I looked at her questionably.

 

“He woke up in the middle of the night and was roaming around the house searching for an extra blanket! He was making one hell of a racket!,” mother exclaimed, “At first I thought it was some burglar, but then I found him shifting through the hallway closet,” she shook her head helplessly.

 

I smiled at the thought, “Did he find the blanket?” I asked.

 

“I ended up stopping him before he would wake up the rest of the house and I went to get one for him. That boy seriously, always complaining that he’s cold and is going to freeze to death, aishhh. No ones dying from a 3 degree drop in temperature.” She grumbled and continued to pour herself a cup of tea with the boiling water from the kettle.

 

I laughed freely; I could just imagine SeungJo up hunting for a blanket in the middle of the night.

 

Wait a second…

 

“Mother, did you say SeungJo was cold? And he was finding at blanket for himself?” I asked.

 

“Yes darling, I asked him if you would need one and he just ignored me and stomped down the hall! I think he’s spending too much time at the hospital, the long hours are doing his head in,” she sighed.

 

I sat there motionless, the chopsticks in my hands trembled with my gripping force.

 

My facial features twitched in anger.

 

So the extra blanket wasn’t for me…

 

I took a deep breathe to calm myself, being angry won’t do anyone any good.

 

I sighed deeply, why did I have to fall in love with such a heartless handsome young man.

 

~

 

Weeks passed before mother would allow me out of the house to go back to work.

 

She had insisted that I stay home and rest since this was my first pregnancy and that going to work would only waste my energy.

 

However, I was persistent and finally made my way back to the hospital.

 

SeungJo hadn’t come home in days, he had been held up in the hospital with countless surgeries and patients that he needed to look after.

 

So it was almost impossible for him to take me to my pregnancy check ups.

 

I ended up going to them with mother.

 

After the second appointment the doctor started to get a little suspicious and aggravated that the father of the child wasn’t living up to his fatherly role.

 

I had to keep reassuring him that he was just busy and couldn’t make it.

 

However, by the end of the 5th checkup I was getting a little wary myself.

 

After escaping mother’s grasp and made my way to the hospital, I was planning on continue my work as a nurse for as long as possible, but I was also planning on confronting SeungJo.

 

~

 

I had signed in at the nurses office and had changed into my uniform and was walking down the hallway to the head nurses office to receive my timetable for the day when I noticed someone sitting on the floor against the wall at the corner.

 

The person had his face buried in his hands, and from the whiteness of his knuckles it seemed as if the person was trembling violently.

 

As I neared the person I immediately recognized him.

 

Baek SeungJo.

 

I rushed forward to him, all of my anger and frustration towards him evaporating.

 

“SeungJo-ah, whats wrong?” I asked shaking his shoulder in worry.

 

SeungJo slowly lifted his head from his hands and looked towards me.

 

I noticed his face was streaked with tears.

 

The almighty Baek SeungJo never cried, never lost his composture. What could have happened to break his marble façade.

 

“SeungJo-ah, what h-happened?” my voice cracking.

 

“I-I couldn’t save him…. H-he d-died”

~~~

 

NEWW CHAPP GUYSSSS

 

SORRRY IVE BEEN AWAY FOR SOO LONG!!! BECAUSE SCHOOL JUST ENDED OVER HERE I’VE BEEN HECTIC DOING LAST MINUTE ARRANGEMENTS AT SCHOOL.

 

AND JUST IN TIME MY FAMILY DECIDES TO RENOVATE THE HOUSE!!! GEEEZZZ

 

SO I HAVE TO HELP WITH EVERYTHINGGG!!

 

IM LEAVING FOR A MINI HOLIDAY TOMMOZZZ SO I DECIDED TO AT LEAST UPDATE ANOTHER CHAPTER BEFORE I LEAVEEE TT.TT

 

DW!! I WONT BE AWAY FOR TOO LONGGG

 

SORRY IF THIS CHAP WAS A LITTLE RUSHED L

 

SORRRY FOR THE ENORMOUS WAITTT

 

*BOWS HEAD IN GUILT(

 

LATER CHAPPSS :D

XOXO