Hospital Emergency

Playful Kiss/Mischievous Kiss 2

hj+doctor.jpg

Baek SeungJo

You’re cute. Every now and then.

There are also times when you’re beautiful. From time to time.

But… Why do I like you?

You’re not that pretty and you’re only cute now and then.

Why would I always miss you?

You… What did you do to me?

 

~

 

“Ahhh, today was such a long day!” yawned Oh HaNi as she came and plopped down next to me on the couch.

 

I smiled.

 

Today was indeed a long day. I looked through 5 patients and supervised another surgery.

 

I sighed and leaned back onto the couch and closed my eyes.

 

“SeungJo-ah, what’s wrong, you look tired,” I heard Oh HaNi’s worried voice float over to my ear.

 

I held back a chuckle, my lovable wife, always caring for me.

 

Instead I just shook my head and said, “I’m fine.”

 

I heard her sigh.

 

Out of nowhere I suddenly felt her wrap herself around my arm and lean her head on my shoulder.

 

I smiled and leaned my head on hers.

 

“Are you going home tonight, SeungJo-ah?” HaNi asked, barely a whisper.

 

I shook my head.

 

“Same, I’m here till 7:00am tomorrow morning,” groaned HaNi.

 

I chuckled.

 

My poor little HaNi, she’s working so hard these days.

 

Since it’s almost the winter holidays, many doctors and nurses have left and gone on holidays, there is only a handful of qualified medical staff left.

 

The remaining staff has been given almost double the length of their normal shifts and mostly during the night.

 

HaNi and I have hardly seen each other in the past week.

 

We are never free or at home at the same times, and at the hospital we have both been worked to the bone.

 

It’s now 10:30pm on a Saturday night; the rush of the day has finally died down, however we are still not allowed to go home. We are on duty throughout the whole night.

 

I turned my head slightly and breathed in Oh HaNi’s scent.

 

I missed her.

 

Her eyes were closed so I gently bent down slightly and kissed on her tip of her nose.

 

I saw her face crinkle into a genuine smile.

 

I couldn’t help but smile myself.

 

Being away from someone so long can you only begin to realize just how important they really are.

 

Suddenly, the sound of an alarm went off in the hospital.

 

My head snapped up in surprise, I felt Oh HaNi’s weight instantly disappear from my shoulder.

 

Above us on the wall hung a big TV screen. On it flashed, “All Medical Staff Report To Emergency Room Now!”

 

I jumped to my feet instantly awake, I looked behind myself and saw that HaNi sat there frozen on the couch staring wide eyed at the screen.

 

Does she not understand what it said?

 

I was about to yell something smart mouthed at her but I suddenly caught sight of her trembling hands.

 

My eyes softened and I turned back to her.

 

I bent down on both knees in front of my trembling wife.

 

I gently laid both of my hands on her shoulders, “HaNi-ah, what’s wrong? We have to go.”

 

“I-I…” she stuttered, unable to talk.

 

“HaNi-ah,” I shook her gently, “Come on, we are needed down in the emergency room,” I said a little more urgently.

 

HaNi finally tore her eyes away from the TV screen and looked towards me, it was only then that I noticed there were tears in her eyes.

 

My eyes widened, “H-HaNi-ah, are you okay? Did something happen? Does somewhere hurt?” I asked worriedness taking over my voice.

 

“Head Nurse K-Kim once told me about these warnings, it means that something major has happened or a seriously injured patient/s has arrived…” she stuttered quietly, her voice fading off.

 

“Then that just makes it more important that we hurry and go help!” I urged her, not understanding what the problem was.

 

She stared back at me with those cute sleepy eyes of hers.

 

It suddenly hit me, HaNi was scared.

 

Unlike doctors, nurses hardly ever see the patient at their worse. It is mostly when they are recovering, that the nurse tends to them.

 

All this time that we have been at the hospital I cannot record one moment when HaNi has been put forward in an emergency.

 

HaNi has always stayed within her comfort zone and never taken the risk.

 

I sighed and pulled her close into my chest.

 

“HaNi-ah, don’t worry. I’ll be right there with you when we tend the patient. Think of it this way, someone may be dying down there right now,” I felt her flinch in my arms, so I brought up my hand and began to the back of her head, “ they need our help. Only we can make them not hurt anymore, not feel anymore pain, heal their scars…”

 

“But I’m scared…” I felt her whisper into my clothing, “What if I do something wrong?” I felt her tremble.

 

I sighed, “No one can prevent you doing anything wrong, but that’s what I’m there for right? I’m the only one who can fix Oh HaNi’s mistakes.” I chuckled.

 

I pulled back and held her at arms length.

 

“Ever since the day you moved in, I have been trying to solve the puzzling world of Oh HaNi, fixing her problems and adventuring out to find the answer…” I whispered to her.

 

“… You make me sound impossible, “ pouted Oh HaNi.

 

I chuckled, “In ways you are impossible…” I lent in and pecked her on the lips. I felt her smile.

 

“… But that’s what I love about you,” I whispered and stood up straight in one swift motion.

 

I looked down at Oh HaNi, her face was flaming red and her hand held to her lips.

 

Is there not one moment I can kiss my wife without her getting embarrassed?

 

I shook my head in laughter and sighed.

 

I held out my hand in front of HaNi, “You coming?” I asked.

 

She looked up at me with those bright eyes and took a deep breath.

 

“Yes”

 

~

 

“What are the person’s vital symptoms?” I shouted over the great shuffle of people’s feet against the vinyl floor and the squeaking of the hospital bed wheels.

 

“His heart is slowing down and he is loosing too much blood! His abdominal and right leg injury must immediately be operated on!” shouted Head Nurse Kim from the front, bobbing up and down as she lead the very few nurses and doctors pushing the victim on the bed to the pre-operation room.

 

I eyed the victim lying on the bed.

 

There was a gigantic car crash on one of the major freeways near the hospital. 3 were seriously injured.

 

2 of the surgical more experienced doctors have already gone into surgery with the first 2 victims who had even more life threatening injuries.

 

However there aren’t enough experienced staff on duty to perform surgery on the last victim.

 

I wasn’t qualified to perform unaccompanied surgeries by myself, as I was still a minor doctor.

 

But if I don’t do anything, the person will die…

 

 

As everyone wheeled the victim into the room to perform manual CPR to the dying patient, I made my decision.

 

I ran into the room yelling, “Everyone! Wheel him to the operation room! And prepare him for immediate operation!”

 

Everyone turned to look at me.

 

“B-But Doctor Baek SungJo, you aren’t qualified!” exclaimed Head Nurse Kim.

 

I looked over at her, “Then what else are we supposed to do?! If we don’t at least try he will definitely die!” I growled.

 

“You cannot perform an operation without even analyzing the patient and getting things ready before hand. You need a more experienced doctor for something like that!” cried another nurse.

 

I turned to look at her, but something stopped me.

 

“SeungJo, it’s too dangerous!” I heard Oh HaNi cry from the other side of the room.

 

I took a deep breath and stared directly at my wife, “What do you want me to do? Take a chance to heal him? Or just let him die without even putting up a fight?” I growled menacingly at her.

 

I saw her sob hitch in as she clutched onto the manual air pumper in her hands.

 

I turned away from her and turned to Head Nurse Kim, “Bring him to the operation room immediately,” I said.

 

 I my heel and stalked away to the operation room.

 

“SeungJo-ah!” I stopped at the sound of HaNi’s voice.

 

I stood there still in the middle of the hallway.

 

I heard the fast urgent taps of HaNi’s shoes against the floor.

 

I turned around just in time as HaNi launched herself into my arms.

 

She wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her face in my clothes.

 

I stood there shell shocked not knowing what to do.

 

“P-Please think this through!” cried HaNi, her voice muffled by my clothes.

 

I sighed. “I’ve already made up my mind, “ I said blankly.

 

“Just don’t make any rash decisions!” she shouted into me.

 

I lifted my hands and patted her on the head and gently let her go.

 

I looked into her eyes, “Just trust me okay?”

 

She looked up at me with tears in her eyes.

 

I saw her hesitate, but she in the end nodded and stepped back.

 

I smiled and ruffled her hair.

 

I my heel and proceeded down the hallway to the operation room.

 

~

 

“Scalpel,” I said holding my right hand out.

 

I felt the coolness of the metal object get pressed into my hand.

 

I proceeded to gently cut the edge of the thread stitched to hold the wound together along the patient’s abdomen.

 

I cut through the string cleanly and sighed with relief.

 

I set down my tools back on the tray.

 

I turned around to my staff, “The surgery has been a success, thank you so much for your hard work,” I said gratefully and bowed.

 

What seemed like eternity the staff had been holding their breath, did they finally let go.

 

“I have underestimated you Doctor Baek SeungJo,” said Head Nurse Kim with admiration walking up to the operating table.

 

“Thank You,” I said and bowed.

 

She smiled and patted me on the back.

 

“We will take it from here,” she said and picked up the dirty operation tools and motioning a group of nurses to come forward to dress and wheel the patient to the recovery room, “You may go now, I think Nusre Oh HaNi is waiting outside for you,” she smirked.

 

I smiled and pulled off my facemask.

 

I turned around to walk to the exit of the room when I heard Head Nurse Kim say, “By the way, don’t always act so cold towards HaNi, she’s a beautiful young girl, you’re lucky to have her,”

 

I turned around and grinned, “Yes I know I am.”

 

“But you will have to find time to teach that young girl how to chart blood pressures! You’re work is impressive Doctor Baek SeungJo, but next time I would like it if my nurses wrote their OWN reports.” smiled Head Nurse Kim.

 

I looked at her and laughed loudly. Looks like I didn’t get away with it this time.

 

I bowed my head and chuckled heartily.

 

~~~

 

HIII PEEEPSSSS!!!

 

MY NEWWW CHAPPPP XD

 

HMMM SOOO BAEK SEUNGJO HAS BEEN AN EVIL MASTERMIND ALL THIS TIMEEE XD

 

THE ‘THIRD WHEEL” WILL ARRIVE SOON!!!! PLEASE WAITTT

 

FEEL WELCOME TO SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT AS YOU WISH!!!

 

ANYWAY, UNTIL NEXT TIME CHAPS!

 

p.s I noe I keep saying that I might not update the next day, but I’m just scared that you guys might be disappointed if I suddenly don’t update and I didn’t mention it in da previous chap! I’m really busy with school work so I’m not 100% certain that I will update everyday! Sorry! <3

 

xoxo