Reality Check

The Foreigner/ Starstruck

Kai

“Jongin.” Their manager entered the dance room.

He looked up, a thin layer of sweat on his forehead and neck, his shirt slightly clinging to him. The rest of the members continued practicing, oblivious.

“Come see me after practice.” The manager left as soon as he came. It wasn’t up for argument.

Kai hated it when his manager said those words. It only meant one thing—he was in trouble. He was restless for the rest of practice, feeling an ominous blanket start choking him. Does he know? I thought I kept it well-hidden.

“How’s practice going?” It’s always the same tactic: hyung would start mildly, pretending everything was okay before suddenly clutching him tightly where it hurts. Before he knows what hit him, he’s caught in the trap.

“It’s alright,” he played along, knowing where it’s headed.

“You’ve been making more mistakes than usual, I heard.”

“I’ve just been tired,” Kai fumbled for an excuse.

“And why is that?”

Kai looked up. There it was: the million-dollar question.

“Is there something you need to tell me, Jongin?”

Kai remained quiet.

The manager tried again. “Are you doing something you aren’t supposed to be doing?”

“I don’t think so.” He wasn't lying.

“There’s a clause in your contract: a dating ban. Have you by chance not seen it?” There was an undercurrent of sarcasm in his tone. I guess there isn’t too much beating around the bush today, Kai mused.

“No, I haven’t.” He matched the sarcasm with equal aplomb.

“Well, how about I give you a refresher course, since I’m sure we went over this,” the manager continued, unfazed. “You aren’t allowed to date anyone—regardless if it is within the agency or otherwise.”

“Alright.” Kai wasn’t about to willingly give anything away.

“Alright? Jongin, this isn’t a laughing matter. I know you’re dating someone.” All of a sudden, the man was business-like and authoritative.

“I don’t see anyone laughing” was all he said. Kai barely started a relationship with Clarissa. He’s worked far too hard for the past however many years. Heck, he’s worked up so much courage for this relationship, and when he’s finally catching a break, this happens.

“Jongin, I dare you to continue using that tone with me.”

“I’ll stop when you start treating me like an adult,” Kai sighed in frustration. How did the manager find out?

“Fine. Let me try again. Are you or are you not dating anyone?”

Kai didn’t want to dismiss Clarissa as merely a passing fling. She was more than that. But he didn’t want her involved in this mess.

“It’s better if you tell me than have it unceremoniously announced all over the internet,” the hyung commented.

He just knows what to say, doesn’t he? “How did you know?” Kai didn’t want to sound like a kid caught stealing candy, but he couldn’t help himself. He wanted to find out.

The manager nodded at the confirmation. “I’ve been a manager almost as long as you’ve been alive. I think I should know a thing or two by now.”

Kai couldn’t help the sigh of relief that escaped his lips. Of course s didn’t tattle.

“Look, I understand your frustrations,” the manager said, not unkindly. “You guys work so hard for your dreams, and the getting there is difficult. You need some release. But think of how much work you’ve put into getting you where you are today. Are you willing to throw all of that away because of this?”

“I’m not throwing anything away. Why does it have to be a choice between my happiness and my dreams?” At the end of the day, Kai knew his manager was only out for his best interest. Still, he couldn’t help feeling resentful.

“You can have both… just not right now.” The manager almost looked apologetic. “Maybe in a few years, you can. But you’ve barely gotten your name out there. When the media catches wind of this, all your hard work could fall down like a house made of straws.”

Kai kept a stubborn silence. The older man took it as a sign to continue. “It’s a fleeting industry—it’s unforgiving that way. But you had to have known that once your name went public, your happiness wasn’t your own anymore. Fame has its price.”

“I can make it work. You haven’t even given me a chance.” Kai wasn’t going down without a fight.

“You aren’t the first who’s said that, Jongin,” the manager furrowed his eyebrows.

“You haven’t even given me a chance,” Kai repeated.

“Jongin, I’m doing damage control before anything scandalous happens. When the media gets involved—and they will get involved—your girlfriend gets involved. She’ll receive more hate than you can even fathom. She’ll never want to step out in broad daylight again. Can you do that to her?” The manager was managing to hit all his sore spots.

Kai felt himself slowly deflate into nothing. “What do you want me to do?”

“You know what you have to do.” His voice was laced with sympathy. It wasn’t easy for him to crush Kai’s budding relationship, either. But it had to be done.

I don’t. I really don’t. Kai covered his face with his hands. The manager stood up and patted him on the shoulder before leaving him alone in the office.

In the back of his mind, he knew things were going a little too well the past few weeks. Now, reality was back with a vengeance, rearing its ugly head.

--

I'm sorry!!! I know I'm being cruel. I know you're probably thinking, "This author doesn't update for the longest time, and when she does she gives us this boatload of crap?!" I'm deeply apologetic. But not really. LOL Come on, guys, I've been giving you guys fluff for the longest time... it's time to add drama, my dears. Because I don't know about you guys, but I can't vomit rainbows and butterflies every day. That's just not normal.

I've actually been struggling for the past couple of days, trying to figure out what to do with this fiction. LOL BUT, LET'S JUST TAKE A MOMENT TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE MORE PRESSING REASON: THE GROWL MV HAS BEEN RELEASED. YES. AND I'VE BEEN STRUGGLING TO KEEP MYSELF SANE. I KNOW YOU'RE NOT CONVINCED BECAUSE OF THE ALL-CAPS. DON'T JUDGE. I KNOW YOU'RE SPAZZING TOO. I'M STILL TRYING TO COPE FROM ALL THE INESS, OKAY?