Confronting Their Demons

The Foreigner/ Starstruck

Kai

She’s really keeping her promise. It’s been a week since she first came to apologize, and true to her word, she’s been coming every night, sitting on the steps outside. Truth be told, Kai has long forgiven her—that rambling apology of hers was enough to melt him. He figured he couldn't stay mad at her for long. Creepy as it was for her to just randomly show up on their dorms, Kai found it endearing.

The thing was, this was the perfect excuse to see her every day, so selfish as it was, he refused to ‘forgive’ her. He wouldn’t be able to see her otherwise. The few days of reprieve were over, and their manager wasn’t cutting them any more slack. They spent all their days in the company building practicing, perfecting their dance routines and their vocal runs.

Kai felt his resolve wavering every time he saw her on the steps: he knew she had better things to do than sit down on the cold steps. What if she gets a cold? What if something bad happens to her on her way home? I’m so selfish. He looked down the window, smiling to himself when he saw her fiddle with the baseball hat.

“Hey. Aren’t you being too harsh on her? She’s been sitting there all week,” Lay came up from behind, slinging his arm around Kai.

“I know. She must be tired.” Kai ran a hand through his hair.

“Go down and tell her everything’s okay. Don’t be a jerk.” Lay nodded towards the door, motioning him to leave.

Kai chewed on his lower lip, knowing Lay was right. He grabbed a cardigan, slipped on his tennis shoes, and headed down the elevator. Are you happy now? Even as Kai tried to berate himself, he knew he actually was. Clarissa didn’t back out—she stayed constant—and that gave him the reassurance he didn’t know he needed. The elevator dinged open, and Kai immediately stepped out, opening the main door as quietly as possible. Draping the cardigan over her shoulder, he sat on the steps beside her, bumping her side gently.

She looked up, surprised that he actually sat down this time. All week, it’s been him standing by the door, watching her as she was about to go home.

“Aren’t you cold?” Kai asked.

“Kind of,” Clarissa responded quietly, tugging the cardigan closer to her body. “Thank you.” The cardigan brushed against her nose. So this is the smell of Kim Jongin. It smelled like clean linen. Kai saw her smile to herself.

They stayed in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. There was understanding in the air: they were friends again.

“What did my turning back remind you of?” Kai had wanted to ask her ever since she brushed on the topic.

Clarissa turned to him suddenly, a look of alarm flashing across her face.

“Y-you don’t have to tell me, if you’re not comfortable.” He felt sorry for asking.

“No. It’s time to confront my demons.” Clarissa took in a breath to clear her head.

Kai waited. “Do you want the long version or the short version?” Clarissa looked at him.

“Whatever you’re prepared to tell me.”

“Okay. Long story short, I went through a really bad break-up.” She laughed bitterly. “I know that’s shallow.”

Kai shook his head, encouraging her to keep going.

“He was my first love—he was my first kiss, the first guy I held hands with. You know. The works.” Kai wasn’t sure he wanted to hear any more.

“We dated for a long time. We started dating in high school, and, because I wanted us to stay together, I followed him to college. I thought we were just meant to be.” Clarissa shook her head.

“I had dreams of us growing old together—you know, the high school sweethearts who sticked together.” Clarissa paused, reminiscing.

“So what happened?” Kai prodded her after a few minutes.

“He said he liked someone else.” Clarissa shrugged her shoulders, trying to make light of the situation.

“I don’t think he cheated on me. He wasn’t that kind of jerk. It’s just a case of me loving him more than he loved me.” There was such finality in the word ‘loved.’ Clarissa laughed ruefully.

Kai wanted to wrap his arms around Clarissa but let them remain on his knees. How about you? Do you still love him? “He fell out of love, and I wasn’t ready to let go yet. I guess he really wanted to make a point, so he walked out of my life, literally and figuratively. No turning back.”

Clarissa looked at him with glistening eyes. “You probably didn’t want to hear my sob story, huh? I’m supposed to be an I-don’t-need-a-man type of woman, but in the end, I’m not.”

Kai looked at her, unsure of how to proceed. “Is that the reason why you came here?” he wanted to let her know in this way that she can spill everything—that he was listening.

“I guess, yeah. I mean, I landed a job with SBS. I deluded myself into thinking that I was coming here for work. Really, it’s just me wanting to run away.”

“Well, he’s a jerk.” Kai said, his voice angry. “How could he have let go of you?”

Clarissa looked up, laughing. “He shouldn’t have dumped me so unceremoniously, yeah. So he’s a jerk. But now that I’m really chewing over it, I guess you can’t blame someone for feeling the way they feel, right? I guess in the end I’m glad he didn’t pretend. That would have hurt even worse.”

Kai stared at her. Clarissa started blushing. “What? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“I’m glad he didn’t either.”

“He didn’t what?”

“I’m glad he let you go.”

Clarissa laughed. “That’s great. Weren’t you just saying how he shouldn’t have let go of me?”

“I take that back.” Kai was still looking at her with his intensely dark eyes. Clarissa suddenly couldn’t find her voice.

“Do you know why I told you to keep coming back here?”

“Because you wanted to see me suffer?” Clarissa attempted to tease.

“No. It’s because I just wanted to see you. Period.” There was no holding him back now.

Clarissa laughed nervously. “Are you making fun of me right after I told you about my sad, now non-existing, romantic life?”

“No!” Kai sighed in frustration. Why doesn’t she get it? “I’m not.”

He took in a breath, trying again. “Do you want the long version or the short version?” he asked, mimicking her question.

Clarissa laughed. “Where are we going with this, Jongin? Fine. Whatever you’re prepared to tell me.” She repeated after him.

Kai smiled nervously. Here goes. If she wants it plain and obvious. “Long story short, I like you, Clarissa. I like you a lot.”

--

Finally. LOL Clarissa just doesn't get it, does she? Tsk tsk.

Okay, guys. I'm asking right here because a bulk of my readers read this work. I know a lot of my wonderful subbies have already read this chapter, so it's kinda a moot point, but I'm going to say it anyway, since I know I still have a bunch who haven't read this. Here goes: I have an idea. Haha I'm not sure it's been done before, but I was thinking that maybe I could start writing stories/oneshots inspired by a song. So you request me a song, and I'll try my best to interpret it into a situation or a story. Haha what do you guys think of that idea????? Let me know, pweeeeaaaaaase. And if you do like the idea, comment below. Even if you don't like the idea, still comment below. ;)