II. Going on a Date

The Foreigner/ Starstruck

BGM- Cherry Blossom Ending

Kai

“…my ultimate favorite Exo member is this sulking boy right here.”

Kai has heard plenty of compliments in the past—from his choreographers, to his sunbae in SM, to s, to a random person crossing the street. But this, more than all the recognition in the world, felt so special. Kai felt himself visibly relax, finally reassured that no amount of fangirling for either members took away the fact that he, Kim Jongin, was her favorite. He smiled at the thought and leaned back onto his seat, observing her interact with his hyungs.

If he didn’t know they just met an hour ago, he’d think they’ve known each other a while.

“…so I said to her, ‘stop with the crappy references,’” D.O barely got the joke out, he was laughing so hard. Kai watched Clarissa and Xiumin double over laughing in their seats. He couldn’t stop smiling, glad that Clarissa genuinely got along with them, because yes, they could be annoying and awkward as hell, but Kai loved them like brothers. Slowly, Kai was bringing her into his world, little steps at a time.

They stood up after Kai paid the bill, deciding to walk around the streets of Myeongdong.

“So, sister-in-law,” Xiumin called out as they left the coffee shop, “have you been shopping here before?”

“If you’re really so inclined to call me that, just call me sis, okay? Short and sweet.” Clarissa winked at him, giving up trying to stop him from using the title. “I actually haven’t been here before.”

“Well, now that you’re here,” Kai joined in, “I guess we’ll have to give you the time of your life, then.”

Their first stop was a small kiosk selling all sorts of trinkets. Couple items were strewn around from key chains to shirts. Xiumin winked at Kai meaningfully as Clarissa went ahead to look at the items. “We’ll give you guys space. You know what to do.”

mm11.jpg

Kai rolled his eyes, leaving behind a chuckling Xiumin.

BGM- Favorite Girl

“Find anything you like?”

“Not yet. Why? Are you going to buy it for me?” Clarissa teased.

“Yeah. As long as it isn’t too expensive,” Kai responded, serious.

“No, thank you, Jongin.” Clarissa stuck out her tongue. “You’ve already paid for my coffee. I can buy my own things.”

Kai shrugged. “Alright.” They walked in opposite directions as they looked around. “Hey, Clumsy, come over here.”

Clarissa was surprised at the nickname. He remembers. She smiled. “What?”

“Look.” There were baseball hats spread all around.

“But you’re already wearing one!” She laughed.

“You can never have too many hats,” Kai smirked. He took a navy-colored hat from the pile and gently placed it on her head. He started laughing.

“What?” Clarissa took the hat off and saw what it said on the front: ‘NERD.’ She scoffed, put it back with the rest, and took another navy hat from the display. She quickly took off Kai’s cap and replaced it with the one in her hand. “Perfect!”

Kai scrunched his nose at the label—‘SLOB.’ “I am NOT.” He pretended to look offended but ended up laughing. “Fine, maybe I am. Just a little.” He removed the hat and put his own back on. He then took both caps and made a beeline for the register. “I’m taking these,” he said to the owner.

“Hey, Jongin! I told you I can pay for my own things!” Clarissa tried to take the items away from him but he was too tall.

“Nope. Too late,” Kai said as he handed the guy his credit card. He then took the hats, placed ‘NERD’ on her head and ‘SLOB’ on his.

Xiumin and D.O, with their ever impeccable timing, was there to tease their little brother. “Oh, already buying couple items, huh?”

“Hm?” Clarissa was blushing again. “Oh, that wasn’t—“

“Looks good!” D.O cut in, leaving no room for argument. “Hey guys, I’m really hungry. Besides, it’s time to give sister-in-law’s taste buds an adventure!”

Thus began their mini food trip around the shopping district. Sprawled all around the area were stands filled with all sorts of snacks. They started eating whatever they could find: Clarissa’s appetite didn’t seem like it was letting up soon.

 

459326361_9c45768dea_z.jpg?zz=1

D.O elbowed Kai on his side. “You should spoon-feed sister-in-law 순대(Sundae, pork blood sausages), just like a normal couple.”

“We’re not even a couple,” Kai whispered as they walked a bit behind Xiumin and Clarissa.

“Yeah, and you’ll never be at the rate you’re going. Heck, Minseok-hyung has a higher chance at it than you do.”

That was enough encouragement. Kai pushed Xiumin to the back with Kyungsoo and led Clarissa to the nearest stand. They ordered three portions, one for Kai and Clarissa, and two for his ravenous hyungs.

“It’s so nice in here,” Clarissa said, chewing. “And this is one very good sausage.” She looked around the area, still chewing on her sundae. She turned back to look at Kai, only to be met with a piece of sausage almost poking her face. She stepped back instinctively. “Whoa.”

“I’m sorry!” Kai blurted out, immediately retracting the sausage he was holding. “I’ve never done this before.”

Clarissa laughed, stepping up closer to Kai. Here he is again, the Jongin part of him, appearing when least expected. She opened wide. “Ahhhhh…”

Kai stared at her. She closed . “That was your cue to feed me, dummy.” She opened again.

This time, Kai put the sausage on , smiling at her as she chewed happily. It’s so refreshing that she’s daring in small acts like these.

“Is that Kai?” he suddenly heard whispering behind him.

“I think it is. But who’s that girl beside him? Is that his girlfriend? She isn’t even pretty.”

“I know, right?”

Kai saw Clarissa stiffen beside him, not knowing how to react. Kai lowered the cap on his head to cover his eyes, looking to Xiumin and Kyungsoo for help. Without even his needing to ask, his hyungs stood closer to him and Clarissa.

"Hey, Reese, don't take the next few minutes personally, okay?" Xiumin whispered with an apologetic smile. He's never called her by her name at all, not until now. This was enough for her to know he meant business. She nodded her head, trusting despite not knowing. A crowd was quickly forming around the snack stand as word got around that Exo was here. Phones were taken out, cameras snapping away at the members.

Suddenly, Xiumin shoved her to the side so there was a big gap between her and the Exo members. She watched as Xiumin put his arm around Kai's shoulder, whispering something to him. Kai shook his head, glaring at the hyung. D.O paid for the food, said a quick thank you to the vendor, and held onto Kai's arm to move him along.

Clarissa watched them as they walked away and left her behind. The crowd followed along, leaving her standing alone on the street. She knew what was going on, but it still hurt to see them pretend that they didn’t know her, that she didn’t exist.

--

Well, that was a somber note to end the chapter. :( But anyway, you guys! Where are the nicknames? LOL I'm waiiiiiiittttttiiiiiiing. haha ^_^