I. Going on a Date

The Foreigner/ Starstruck

Kai

He pushed the door open, stepping aside to let her through. As she passed by, her scent brushed into him, a mildly sweet citrus scent filling up his senses. It fits her so well—subtle, bubbly, and natural. Kai went in after her, almost bumping into her when she suddenly stopped going in. What now? Star-struck in the presence of D.O and Xiumin? Kai flashed her an annoyed look only to see her face slowly form an appreciative smile. She was admiring the interior, the quaint atmosphere of the tucked-in café.

Picture-2.png

“How’d you find this place?” Even without looking at her, he knew she was smiling.

“I found it when I was a trainee,” Kai said, all thoughts of jealousy gone in an instant. He was happy to share this place with her. “Whenever I need space to think, I come here—for the coffee and for the people. They don’t make a fuss even after I’ve debuted.”

“I can feel it,” Clarissa instantly felt cozy, taking in the smell of brewed coffee and vanilla. She looked around the room, realizing that she was blocking the doorway. “There they are!” Clarissa was back to fangirling again. She grabbed Kai’s wrist towards where the Exo members were, her cheeks turning a peachy pink at the thought of personally meeting them.

Kai wanted to erase the adorable blush from her face—he didn’t like sharing it with others when he thought it was reserved only for him. Why did I think inviting them was a good idea again? He planted his feet a few steps before they reached s’ table, making her stop. She tried tugging his wrist to move him along, but he stayed where he was.

“Not raining on your parade or anything, but I’m your date. Not D.O-hyung, not Xiumin-hyung,” Kai knew he was being petulant, but he could care less. She’s never given him any of the reaction she’s pouring on his hyungs.

He saw her blush a shade deeper. That’s more like it.

“Who said today’s a date?” She feigned nonchalance. And it would have worked, except her blush was a dead giveaway.

Kai smirked. “I said so.” He adjusted her grip so that her hand was no longer on his wrist but enveloped into his hand. He smiled at the warmth. They reached the table, and immediately, D.O and Xiumin stood up.

“You must be sister-in-law,” Xiumin didn’t even bother to be normal. Kai threw him a warning glare, prepared to defend her from his hyung’s antics.

“And you must be a troll.” Clarissa laughed. “I’m such a huge fan of you guys!” She bowed to both of them, raising her head to look at D.O. “Hi! My name’s Clarissa, and it’s so nice to finally meet you.” She shook both of their hands, blushing again. Kai shook his head. This woman is just so weird. She’s unfazed by Minseok-hyung’s teasing, but she blushes the instant they shake hands. What is she?

Xiumin nodded at Jongin with approval. “Touché, Clarissa.”

Clarissa laughed again. “You can call me Reese.” Kai wished she’d stop laughing with the guys.

They sat down, Kai and Clarissa on one side, while his hyungs sat on the other. The coffee shop owner’s wife personally took their orders, smiling at them warmly as she did so. Kai watched Clarissa’s side profile as she decided what to pick. He wasn’t kidding when he said she was pretty today.

“Stop staring at her, Jongin. You’re boring a hole through her face,” Kyungsoo teased in his quiet voice.

Clarissa looked up at Kyungsoo, a permanent blush tinting her face. For the millionth time, Kai wondered why he even brought them along. They were making this awkward and miserable.

“I wasn’t staring. I was waiting for her to pick.” He couldn’t believe even his best friend was ganging up on him with Minseok-hyung.

“Is she your girlfriend?” the owner’s wife asked kindly. “She’s the first girl you brought in with you.”

Kai was flustered. “No! No… she isn’t.” He wasn’t offended, though. The older woman had a special place in his heart, and he knew she meant well.

“I see. Well,아가씨(Miss), you’re very pretty,” she said to Clarissa, a twinkle in her eye.

“Oh? Thank you, Auntie,” Clarissa smiled back with as much warmth. “I think I’ll have a hot Caramel Macchiato, please.”

Kai took note of her order—she has a sweet tooth. The owner’s wife left with a bow.

Clarissa

“So, who’s your favorite Exo member?” Xiumin sure knew how to get straight to the point.

“Yeah, I’m curious about that too,” D.O quipped. Kai had to admit, he was anticipating the answer.

“Um,” Clarissa shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

Xiumin was not letting up. “Is he with us right now?”

Clarissa looked to Kai for help, but the latter pretended not to see, picking invisible lint from his jeans.

D.O smiled at her. “Don’t worry, no hard feelings if it isn’t Xiumin-hyung.” The man in question choked on his drink.

She laughed, feeling her nerves calm a bit. “Yes,” Clarissa said after a while. “He’s in here.”

Kai felt his heart pick up its pace.

“It’s actually D.O,” Clarissa said, looking at him directly. D.O’s smile fell as quickly as it widened when she continued, “and Xiumin—”

“Hey, that’s no fair. ‘Favorite’ means only one member,” Xiumin pouted.

Clarissa blew a raspberry and snuck a peek at the sulking boy beside her. She wanted to pinch his cheeks. He's adorable when he pouts.

She directed her attention back to her interrogators. “You’re right. Actually, I only have one favorite.” The boys in front of her were at the edge of their seats, and for a second, all Clarissa wanted to do was laugh. “Before I say anything, though, is it really that important who a fan’s favorite is? I mean, you guys all have your mini-fandoms within the fandom.”

“Of course it’s important! Who doesn’t like being told they’re the favorite?” Xiumin looked at her quizzically.

She nodded, feeling that the line was somehow important. She stored Xiumin’s words of wisdom for later reference.

“So who is it? Me, or this little owl right here?” Xiumin ignored D.O’s wide-eyed glare.

Clarissa debated whether to tell the truth. It wasn’t a big deal, really, but why was she nervous all of a sudden? “Fine,” she sighed. “Just a caveat: all the things I am about to say are spoken from a true fangirl’s perspective and nothing else, alright?” Clarissa looked every boy in the eyes: D.O nodded solemnly, Xiumin was barely containing himself from bouncing off the walls, and Kai was being plain sulky and childish.

Here goes nothing. “I really love your y voice, D.O. Every time I listen to you I just want to shrink you into my personal radio and keep you in my pocket.” She paused for effect, watching D.O simply glow from within. Kai grunted something incomprehensible about devil-spawned voices.

“Xiumin, I seriously have no words for how adorable you are. I watch out for you in the interviews because you rarely talk, but when you do, you’re like a mined diamond. You’re such a hidden gem.” She smiled at him, wanting him to know that she always kept an eye out for him. Xiumin smiled at her, this time with genuine admiration for her consideration.

“But,” she paused again, glancing at a very pissed-looking Kai. “It’s this guy that really makes me stay glued to my screen.” Jongin was suddenly sitting pin-straight. “Kai, you are everything opposite of me: you’re graceful and lithe and attractive, and every move you make is like a work of art. I could watch you all day. So, if that wasn’t clear enough, my ultimate favorite Exo member is this sulking boy right here.” Kai blinked a few times, making sure he heard it correctly. What exactly was he so pissed off about again?

--

First and foremost, can you guys make a nickname for this fanfic? I'm too lazy to keep saying 'The Foreigner' whenever I talk about it, but I'm not creative enough to actually come up with anything decent to call it. So, as an assignment for my readers, come up with a nickname! YAY! Lol

Kai won the poll! BUT I still wanted him to suffer a bit, so I went for a more roundabout dialogue. Hahaha I know, I know. At the rate I'm going, they'll still be on the same date at Chapter 20. LOL Do not fret, my dears. I promise to be less wishy washy next time, and we will be able to get past the date. ^_^

About the poll... I feel like it's a mixed bag. It's fun to actually interact with you, my awesome readers, and see which direction you want the story to go, so that makes me want to do it again, but at the same time, it's harder to update. I have to wait for responses, and patience isn't exactly my best trait. (-_-)'' haha still, if you have suggestions for plot or anything, don't hesitate to say it in the comments section.

Oh. LOL spazzing about the Kaistal pictures. OMG they look perfect together! Like, seriously, they'd make a visually amazing couple. <3 But why do I feel kinda sad? Lol 

And lastly! Hahaha I know... so many stupid announcements. But I promise this is quick! Please do check out my oneshots. Lol take your pick between Chen, Tao, and Kyungsoo. Or, better yet, pick all three and give them all a little love. As always, comment, subscribe, and upvote, please? :)

And the very very very last thing: Thank you so much for all the love and support! I seriously cannot ask for kinder readers. <3