Chapter Seventy-One

Wolf, the Top Gang

The film was stunningly beautiful. It was everything Jinah had ever imagined and more. She felt butterflies and teared up and laughed aloud—with Luhan. Even though at some point during the movie, she told him to take his hands off of her. They shared their snacks with their masks pulled down to their chin. As soon as the movie finished, Jinah sighed and leaned back in her seat, feeling fulfilled, soft, and satisfied.

          “What’d you think?” Luhan asked, crunching up their empty snack bags.

          “Amazing,” she said truthfully. Her heart felt so full. “It was amazing. Isn’t the culture of 2010s just amazing? A letter a day, them against the world… that’s crazy, just insane… but people really did that! And letters were pretty out of fashion by 2010. But them—they were different. And their romance—it’s so clear, pure—void of lies and pride and corrupted views—it just is. True, honest, real love, as it is. Nothing more or less—just love.”

          “You believe in that?” Luhan scrunched his nose a bit, as if trying to squeeze out the words. “True love and stuff?”

          “You don’t?” Jinah asked.

          Luhan shrugged as he started the car. For some reason, Jinah felt a pang of pain in her chest. Well, that was stupid of me to ask…

          “I do now,” Luhan said, pulling his mask back up.

          Everybody else also started their cars and it was loud, but Jinah stared at Luhan, her eyes fixed on him. He knew she was looking at him, but he felt his face get warm, so instead of acknowledging her, he focused on driving out. This isn’t a bad feeling, either. Luhan gripped the steering wheel a little tighter. He had never felt better.

          Jinah felt a burst of glee from deep in her chest, and it was really hard to suppress her smile. She pulled her mask back up and just happily absorbed the sight around her, figuring she wouldn’t see this dark underground cave again anytime soon.

          The way back up was quick and the road was wide, though not every car had gone the same direction. It opened up to the same dusty, orange-coloured ground, only they were on the other side of the markets now. He took off his mask and threw it to the back of the car. Jinah followed suit, and took this as her cue to ask more questions.

          “So how’d you find about that place?”

          “Sources,” Luhan said.

          “What kind of place is it? Can we go watch another movie again?” Jinah asked eagerly.

          “It’s not always movies from the 2010s,” Luhan said. “It’s all sorts of banned films, some for very different reasons than the others. You’ll probably be glad some of them are banned.” He parked the car in the parking lot by the markets while the disappointed Jinah kept quiet.

           “So,” Luhan said, turning the car off and looking at her, “are you not gonna ask me what I thought about the film?”

          Jinah felt herself blush, and really wished she had her mask back. However, she didn’t look away.

          “Well, I’ll tell you anyway,” Luhan said, not breaking eye contact either. “I think it was a lot better than I expected. Movies from the 2010s are usually pretty cringy, and this one was no exception—but it was fun. I liked watching it with you. We should do it again.”

          Jinah had mixed feelings about his response, but overall, she felt good.

          “Thanks for coming with me,” he said. Then, Luhan. added: “Don’t tell the gang.”

          “What do you want me to say instead?”

          “Just say we went to the theaters or something.”

          Jinah nodded to herself, before another question popped up in her head. “How’d you know what they were playing?”

          “A friend of mine runs the whole op,” Luhan said. “I asked for tickets when they were going to play the next 2010 film, and I found it in the mail this morning.”

          “What if someone else checked the mail?”

          “No one checks the mail unless we’re expecting something,” Luhan said. “Except me.” Only since you came though, Luhan thought to himself. I should’ve known it since then…

          “What if I hadn’t woken up?” Jinah said, remembering that she had just barely woken up in time to get ready. “You’d have wasted the tickets.”

          “Wouldn’t be the first time,” Luhan said. “You sleep in a lot. Anyways, ready to go?”

          Jinah blushed, and simultaneously, frowned. “To where?”

          “Somewhere,” Luhan said. He then opened the car door to get out.

          “What?” Jinah cried as she exited the car too. “Another secret? Where are we going this time?” Jinah groaned, but Luhan caught the faint hint of excitement in her voice.

          He smirked at it and locked the car. As if she’d be able to hide her true feelings from him. “Somewhere,” he repeated, leaving the suspense hanging.

          “Is it a restaurant?” she tried again. “I hope so. I’m hungry again.”

          Luhan stopped walking and Jinah’s nose bumped into his back. He turned around and looked at her with amusement. “Don’t most girls try and hide the fact that they’re hungry?” he questioned.

          “Don’t most girls get three records, tops?”

          “Right, Shin Jinah of Six Records. Right…” Luhan nodded thoughtfully to himself as he grabbed Jinah’s wrist.

          Jinah’s first instinct to break away or make a snide comment, but a much stronger force overwhelmed her: stay. It took her a second to realize that she was actually really enjoying her time with Luhan. There was a sense of nervousness, but it wasn’t a negative or a scary feeling; it was anticipation. She was excited for what’s to come next. She was having fun—she was happy.

          “Wait a sec,” Jinah said, frowning suspiciously, but still smiling, “does that mean you’ve gotten tickets for movies before… but we couldn’t go because I didn’t wake up in time?”

          “Yeah,” Luhan said casually, as if it wasn’t a big deal. “Yesterday too. I had to wake up at five in the morning so Chanyeol didn’t find the tickets. He was expecting a phone case or something.”

          “Yesterday?” Jinah repeated. “But we did so much yesterday!”

          Jinah briefly recalled her feelings of uneasiness, the sudden thoughts of her parents interjecting, the interview with Cheonsa… and Luhan looking away from her in the van on the way back. And of course, a particular event in her room with Sehun.

          “Yeah. Probably why I fell asleep on the way back,” he said, not knowing the effect his words had on her.

          “Y-You fell asleep?” Jinah said. “Like in the van?”

          Luhan stopped in his tracks, and mockingly acted out like there was a pain in his chest. “Don’t tell me you didn’t notice?” he joked, feigning a sad facial expression.

          Jinah rolled her eyes and lightly pushed him forward, earning a chuckle from him. She was glad he didn’t intentionally not look at her, or it wasn’t a lack of interest and he didn’t care about her anymore. It wasn’t anything like that. He just fell asleep, Jinah thought, smiling secretly, feeling reassured. Suddenly, yesterday didn’t seem like such a terrible day.

          Luhan turned a corner and headed for a shabbier area, still dragging Jinah along the way. She’s going to love this place, Luhan thought in bliss. Just after this alley. Almost there. She’s going to be thankful to me for the next ten years. He smiled unconsciously.

          Jinah laughed at his cheesy smile. Luhan hardly ever smiled like that. “You’re so weird,” she commented.

          He turned around to show his full face. His eyes were shining with such happiness that she was in awe. Jinah felt like she had the world in her hands. The way it was so filled with anticipation and authentic expectancy made him adorable, even if “adorable” was the last word to describe him… until you got to know him, of course. This boy’s grin was the almost the best thing Jinah had ever witnessed, only second to fresh ddukkbokki being made. She didn’t let Luhan know any of this though, of course. No way. Nevertheless, the romance film had her feeling a certain type of way.

          On the exterior, Jinah snorted at him. “What’s with that face? You’re smiling a lot today, Luhan. It’s kinda creepy.”

          “You like it. I know it.”

          “I swear you arrogant bastard, I won’t hesitate to punch your pretty little face,” she warned jokingly, laughing.

          “Oh? So you think my face is pretty?” Luhan teased.

          “Y—”

          “Hey, Wolf!”

          Luhan and Jinah turned around upon hearing their gang name be called. Their faces immediately darkened when they saw who it was… and what they were holding.

          It was Fang. Some were holding wooden sticks, others metal bats. Things weren’t looking too good because it seems as if all twelve of them were present, and the fact that they approached the two of them in a dark and isolated place like this meant trouble. Fang was never the one to stick to rules, by law or unwritten ones, or play fair. Luhan wouldn’t be surprised if they came here for a challenge.

          “Are you two on a date?” Niel teased after seeing Luhan’s hand around Jinah’s wrist. He broke into maniac laughter.

          Just as Jinah was about to deny, Luhan said, “So what if we are?”

          On the inside, Jinah went wild. Well, he did call it a date…

          “Don’t you have guts,” Dongwoon said. Fang began circling, surrounding Jinah and Luhan. “Going on a date with Jinah in public. Do you know how many people have their eye on Jinah? Chunji and Hyunseung from our gang, more from Thorn, Cougar, and I heard even –”

          “I don’t care. Jinah’s mine,” Luhan said as his hand slithered down from her wrist to her hands as he laced their fingers together. Much to his luck, Jinah didn’t let go; however, Jinah was blushing madly and it took all of Luhan’s willpower to not look at her and jokingly coo at her. Instead, he held her hand tightly and glared at Fang. “And I don’t like sharing.”

          “Let’s fight then, you selfish prick,” Chunji said, grinning his innocent grin. His words were nowhere bear innocent too. How ironic – an angelic face that is in complete contrast with motives of a demon. “For your Prix.”

          “What?” Jinah scoffed. “This is twelve against two – you’ve got to be kidding me. Where’s your dignity? What, are you scared that Wolf would beat the out of you if it was an even fight?”

          Dongwoon snorted. “Result would be the same.”

          Luhan glared intensely at him. “You really think you can take my Prix? From me?”

          “Okay, okay,” Yoseob said, raising his hands as if admitting defeat. “But just saying, I don’t think even you can beat twelve Fangs.”

          “You’re not getting Jinah,” Luhan stated with such confidence, Jinah felt like everything was okay for a second.

          “Don’t get so cocky, Luhan. Even if it’s you, it’s still twelve against two,” Ricky reminded him with a smirk.

          “Yeah, but it’s twelve dumbs against two,” Jinah snarled, faking confidence.

          Ricky spat and ran up to punch Jinah, but Luhan grabbed Ricky’s wrist and flipped him over, letting go of Jinah. More Fangs came to help, and Jinah froze, fear and rage rising inside her simultaneously.

          A few lunged forward again, but they heard the slapping noises of a bat hitting a hand. They stepped aside, letting Doojun through. He was hitting the metal bat against his palm steadily, his lips.

           “Game time,” Doojun said.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

A/N:

As promised, another update! If you guys let me know who you stan now (K-Pop or anime, whatever you're interested in) let me know!

Also, some people PM'd me about donations and crowdfunding, so I'll address it here point-form:

  • I will never make WTG crowdfunded or limit access to it! It's also why I have never and will never make WTG subscribers-only.
  • I might put up a link for voluntary donations if you guys want? But again this will not come with any benefits and will purely be voluntary! It will not affect your experience or access to WTG.
  • I truly do appreciate you guys wanting to support me, but honestly the comments and messages are more than enough to warm my heart :') I am thankful you guys remember me and this story!

You guys are the reason I keep writing (even if I don't finish the other ones/publish them yet)!! I really only want to publish work I am confident in finishing and presentable enough to show you guys.. >///< LOL

 

Thank you everyone

 

 

-deardeerhan