Chapter Six

Wolf, the Top Gang

Suho grinned. “Told you we made a good choice.”

          “What? Luhan!” Xiumin exclaimed. He stood up. “You’re not even going to give Aheun a chance? And yet you’re going to give this improper, untaught, undisciplined, six-records-of-mischief wench that doesn’t know her place?”

          “She sure knew about plants though,” joked Baekhyun. Laughter erupted from the table.

          “Time,” Lay said. “We’ll call a time-out and sort this out before our candidate gets too confused… if that’s alright with everyone?”

          No one disagreed. Jinah got up and rushed to Miss Kim, not even breathing until she was within Miss Kim’s reach.

          Her back was to him, but Luhan stared at her anyway. Her hair, her back, her arms, her waist, her back thigh, her calves… she was so intriguing. Why? She was seriously good-looking and was different personality-wise, but there was something in the aura she gave off… it was mysterious, and it interested him.

          “I like her,” a boy with disheveled black hair said. He had full, thick lips. “She’s different.”

          “Oh, different indeed, Kai,” agreed Suho. “Her curves bro. Those are something I wouldn’t mind staring at.”

          Lay smacked the table with his hand with a smile in the midst of laughter. “You guys are too hooked up on her! Calm down a bit, won’t you? We’re a Top gang with a very good reputation. The way you’re all behaving right now – it’s a tad bit embarrassing.”

          Baekhyun laughed. “She’s too gorgeous to leave alone. I like her. A lot.”

          “She’s cute,” added Kris. “And she is different. I know she’s been all tough on us and everything, but she’s just playing hard-to-get. It’s cute.”

          “I didn’t know Callidum had girls like her,” the boy with black hair and clear eyes said after thinking matters through. “I knew they bit and boy, doesn’t she bite – but the way she talks, it’s so natural. It’s like it doesn’t matter what our rank is. She’ll treat us no different.”

          “Chen, that’s not a good thing,” Xiumin said. “We need someone that respects us. Aheun respects us. Luhan – she’s especially nice to you!”

          “And so is every other girl he charms by simply existing, even after he makes them cry. Get a grip and stop being so biased, Xiumin,” Chanyeol said, frowning. “It’s nice to have finally found a girl who doesn’t faint over our exceptionally good looks.” He grinned. “She fights back too, completely the opposite of Pacem girls.”

          “I do have to agree with Xiumin here a bit, guys,” Lay said. “We do need someone that respects us and Aheun gives us that… but,” Lay grinned too, “we also need someone who’s different. What’s so different about Aheun and her roommate at Pacem? …Nothing. Why have we, Wolf, have chosen no Prix for twenty-two years? Because we wanted someone different. If Jinah’s anything, she’s different. And, to be honest,” Lay laughed a bit, “I do like her.”

          Xiumin turned to Sehun, the poker-faced boy that had said absolutely nothing all this time. Sehun, the rainbow-haired boy, the emotionless demon of the gang, his last hope. Then Sehun said in a monotone, “She’s okay.”

          “Then it’s done. Bring her back,” Luhan said, making the gang raise their eyebrows. Luhan wasn’t the impatient type. He didn’t even care.

          Luhan’s eyes hadn’t drifted away from Jinah this whole conversation, and when Suho called her over, they were still on her. Then, she finally met his eyes. She looked away but her gaze returned back to him almost a millisecond after. She looked into his doe-like eyes, his intense yet relaxed gaze. Then she said something that caught him by surprise, but it wasn’t all that unique. In fact, he should’ve expected it: “Is there something on my face?”

          He smirked and shook his head. “No, there’s nothing on your face.”

          She frowned a bit. “Okay then. Uh, well, apparently I have to tell you a few things about myself with my own mouth. Hmm… well. I’m not a picky eater and I really like books. I’m all about balance. I don’t really like weaving, but I do enjoy cooking. I don’t mind sketching but ask me to color something and I will cut you.”

          “Oh, fierce,” Suho said with a smirk. Seriously, is this all the gang members did? Smirk?

          “Jinah’s a top student in her martial arts class, and have been chosen to be in the Army Institute, sir,” said Miss Kim, who was granted permission to add things in whenever she wanted to. “She’s also musically talented.”

          Jinah’s eyes widened. “Miss Kim!”

          “It is true.”

          “What do you play?” Baekhyun asked, curious. “How many instruments can you play? Can you play them well? How long have you been playing for?”

          Jinah took a deep breath. “I play the piano, flute, and the violin. I’ve been playing piano for thirteen years, flute for five, and violin for three. No, I cannot play them well.”

          “Yes, she can,” Miss Kim said. “She completed all the levels for piano and now has a degree. As for flute, she participates in band meets and is also a top student there. Although it’s only been three years since she had started violin, she is in level seven, a level that is usually acquired at an average of eight years of hard practice.”

          Baekhyun’s mouth dropped open. “And that’s not ‘playing well’? Jinah, if that’s not playing well, what is?!”

          “Jinah is very modest,” Miss Kim said.

          “Or attention-seeking,” Xiumin said.

          Baekhyun and Suho glared at him.

          Jinah chuckled. “Well, attention I don’t mind, but from certain unworthy males such as yourself, I do mind. Keep your nose out of my conversations, won’t you?”

          “It’s a conversation between Wolf and the candidate. I’m part of the gang, in case you haven’t figured that out,” Xiumin said coolly.

          “Unfortunately, I was speaking to Baekhyun specifically, and not you. Although this is a conversation between the gang and the candidate, it is not required for all gang members to speak. That being said, you are not required to speak, yet you did. So, why don’t you just keep your mouth shut, or is your mouth too big to be shut?”

          “Oh, Chomper!” Suho exclaimed, raising his hand for a high-five.

          Jinah high-fived him. “Wait, what’s a ‘Chomper’?” she asked.

          The gang was quiet for a bit, but then someone told her. “It’s something we say when someone made a good comeback,” explained a black haired boy with clear, dark eyes. Jinah liked his eyes. “Shouldn’t we do introductions? I think we should do introductions. I’m Chen. You know Baekhyun, D.O, Lay, Xiumin, and Suho, clearly. And Chanyeol, I’ll guess. You see the boy with no expression and blonde hair with purples and pinks? He’s Sehun, the demon in our gang. Kai’s the one with the screwed up hair, Luhan the blonde, the true devil, Tao who always knows the time, and Kris, the tallest member of this Top gang.”

          “What do you enjoy doing?” Luhan asked.

          “I like reading,” Jinah answered. Then she remembered who he was. Luhan…the cruel, harsh one. The one with the angelic face and sweet voice but words as sharp as daggers and cold as ice. But he hadn’t uttered a single bitter word to her.

          “Do you like sports?”

          Jinah smiled. It was tight and fake, but it was there. Miss Kim said she should appear friendly. But could she? She didn’t want to fake her way in, yet she wanted to be chosen for whatever reason… “Yes.” She had a chance with this gang, and she knew it. It felt…good? Different? Boosted her ego? Whatever it was, she didn’t mind being nice, even if she didn’t mean it. Even if she had to fake it.

          Luhan narrowed his eyes a bit. Then he said, his voice smooth, “Oh? What do you play?”

          “If it’s a game with a ball and a whistle, I can play it.”

          “Basketball, volleyball, and hockey too?” Suho asked.

          Jinah nodded, pride welling up inside her. She liked being active and athletic. “Although hockey is played with a puck not a ball, I get what you mean.”

          “Soccer included, right?” Luhan asked.

          “Except soccer.”

          “What? But you can’t be an all-around type candidate without soccer!”

          Jinah let a small laugh escape her lips. Luhan saw it was a façade. Her smiles, her laughs, her mild voice – it was all a façade. What was she hiding, and why?

          While Luhan was slightly fascinated and Jinah felt awkward, the rest of the gang was downright confused. They had similar questions in their heads: Why was Luhan being so nice to her? Keeping her over time too… He’s even trying to continue the conversation? Even start it? The gang knew default scenarios: girl tries to talk to Luhan. Girls always love Luhan. And then he would smile back and say in a voice that could cut diamonds, “I would appreciate it if you no longer looked at me.” Or, “Don’t take this personally, but please shut up.” Yet here he was, conversing, smiling, and being nice. Even the dense Suho who never noticed little things and tolerant Lay, who saw the best in everyone, were surprised.

         After getting to know each other more and conversing, it was already time. Strangely, Tao seemed to know that their time was up before the Announcer announced closure. Jinah was slightly relieved and out of breath. The dress’s tightness began choking her chest. Suho patted her back and she fought a punch as she stood up stiffly and started to walk away.

          “Nice meeting you.”

          Jinah turned around to see the speaker – blonde hair, alluring eyes, charming. Luhan was still smirking, but he perceived an unsettling feeling coursing through him since she looked at him in that moment. Her angular face was small, her jaw line prominent, like Chen’s and Kai’s. Her hair fell so naturally and the brown dye fit her well. Her eyes were clouded, like a barrier, but her expression was loose and relaxed. Why did he suddenly notice so many features of her? And when she smiled, the dents on her cheeks formed again, her dimples adorable. He stopped breathing. She faced the other way again and continued her way to her representative. Did that girl – a random girl he just met – leave him breathless? Was that even possible?

          Not even knowing of what an impact she had on the cold and bitter heartbreaker, as well as the well-respected Top gang members, Jinah walked on, Miss Kim right by her side, murmuring words of encouragement and complimenting her, trying to be optimistic. Jinah complained about the heels and the dress. Luhan stared after her. She was one of a kind, she was. They were all pretty impressed. On the other hand…

          “Luhan! What’s gone into you?” Xiumin exclaimed. “You didn’t even get the chance to talk to my sister!”

          “As for Xiumin’s first question… I’m more interested in your intent.” Lay grinned a bit, and although he tried to hide it, it was very visible and obvious. Lay wasn’t the type to hold back his emotions. “You were exceptionally… polite today. And I really don’t mean anything bad when I ask this, I like the candidate – but why?”

          Luhan shrugged. “I don’t know.”                                                                   

          “The day I understand Luhan I will kill myself,” said Chanyeol, shaking his head.

          “Why would you want to kill yourself when you finally understand Luhan?” frowned Suho.

          “Because it’ll never happen, stupid. It’s an expression to use hyperbolically. Basically I’m saying that it’s impossible to understand Luhan.” Chanyeol sighed, made a noise with his tongue, and smirked. “Damn, she was mighty pretty.”

          Suho rolled his eyes in annoyance. “You’re lovesick.”

          “You’re the one to talk,” snorted Chanyeol. He leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms. “You’ve been staring at her like it’s the first time you’ve seen a girl.”

          Baekhyun groaned, for he knew what was coming. Suho and Chanyeol always bickered. They were opposites. They always had two very different answers, two very different opinions, and two very different styles, but very similar personalities. They both were equally hotheaded, childish, erted, and direct. They both refused to concede whatsoever.

          “You tried to touch her thigh!”

          “You basically had your hands on her the whole time!”

          “No I didn’t! Besides, it’s not like my skinship bothered her. She didn’t pinch me, did she?”

          “You’re an idiot,” scoffed Chanyeol.

          “No, you!”

          “Hush, you both are idiots,” Lay said, then laughed. “At any rate, let’s return to our base, shall we? I’m absolutely exhausted. It’s been a long day and we all could use some rest…and food.”

 

-----------------------------------------

Next chappie~ the other EXO members were introduced here and you got to know them a bit more, right?This chapter was the longest so far, hope it was a good update! I justified previous chapters .. but then realized the indents got uneven.. so made them left side again.. sigh that was tiring TT I'm lazy ok!!

 

Guys, I'm dying because EXO's Wolf Drama Version is STILL NOT OUT OMG ;-; AM I THE ONLY THAT IS FEELING THIS RESTLESS?! OMGGGGGGG

 

 

@katelynking2000: Glad you like Jinah!! Yes, she's a tough girl ^3^ And yes, I have read Divergent! I love those series, haha. The dwellings reminded me of the factions, so I just added them in. I can't wait for Allegiant!

@mushrie: Wow, ty!! :$ Haha, Chanyeol seemed quite fit for it ;) Soo glad that you like the characters+story!

@feelsPLS: Thank you! I appreciate your compliment~~ ^^

@hae4eva: Thanks! Glad you like Jinah, /sighs from relief. I thought maybe she was too cold or too bratty or too boyish or whatever...glad you & others like her!

 

Thank you for the subscriptions & comments!! Luhan's entrance really made a difference, hehe~ I was really happy when I saw the numbers go up! 

-Seohee