Chapter Forty-Six

Wolf, the Top Gang

Tao went up the second staircase up to the base, the hole closed up when Tao left it. He went to his room, and Xiumin was there, looking thoroughly depressed. His eyes were red and swollen. Xiumin never showed tears in front of anyone – except Tao. The two had a strange friendship that started since their Hood years. Xiumin had been a careless idiot, like Chanyeol, but he matured when he finally got the idea of ‘DE’ through his head. Even more when he found out that he had a sister sometime during Army training. Wanting to protect his one and only little sister, a sibling, something no one else had, he grew stronger, trained harder, focused more, and, inevitably, became moodier and darker. He didn’t show this side to Aheun – no, he cared about her too much. Tao had been bubbly and cheerful, but Army training changed him. Tao wasn’t stupid – he trained hard and learned exactly what type of era DE was in his early hood years, but he kept his innocence and contagious laughter. It all vanished at the horrifying Journey, however, and when he arrived at the Army. His three years there had completely changed him into a whole new person – and Tao didn’t know if he liked this change or not. Despite his opinion, this was him now, and he had to live with it.

         “Hey,” Tao said.

         “Tao.”

         “Hm?” Tao sat cross-legged on his bed and faced Xiumin.

         Xiumin was right against the wall, one leg propped up, the other straight, his foot hanging off over the edge. He leaned back and his head hit the wall. “Do you think Aheun is crying tonight, too?”

         Tao gulped quietly, but it was clearly audible in the silence room. It was quiet outside since the rest of the gang was still in the training grounds. “I don’t know. Do you want to go visit her?”

         Xiumin sniffed and wiped his nose. “Yeah.”

         “Jin –”

         “Don’t you dare say her name in front of me,” Xiumin hissed, glaring at Tao. His eyes were cold as ice, almost like Luhan.

         Tao sighed. “I don’t think she’s that terrible…”

         “Really? You don’t?” Xiumin asked, but his voice was sharp and furious. “I visited Aheun the other day. She’s working really, really hard. But her friend, Miso, told me that she cried herself to sleep almost every night. She thinks Luhan is in love with – that girl because she caught a glimpse of him talking to her at the meet, and she didn’t even see the things Luhan does for that girl. How do you think Aheun would react and feel when she comes and sees it herself? And jack, damn it, I hate the fact that Luhan is giving that girl so much attention. Why? Why her? What the hell does that girl have that Aheun doesn’t? Aheun is ten times cuter, ten times prettier, ten times nicer, ten times easier, ten times obedient, ten times innocent, a thousand times better. All that girl is, is stubborn, bratty, selfish, loud, annoying, stupid –”

         “She’s a Callidum. She isn’t stupid. Xiumin, be reasonable,” Tao scolded lightly.

         Xiumin frowned deeply and glowered at Tao. “Be reasonable? Be reasonable? You think I’m not being reasonable? Tao, Aheun ing cries herself to sleep! What did she do to deserve this? You know she’s the sweetest girl on earth, the best… I don’t get it… I don’t get it because it’s not understandable – it’s not reasonable. Luhan and his actions, I’m talking about. What is going through the blonde-haired prick’s head? Choosing that girl… what the hell?!” Xiumin punched his pillow, and while that may have been a funny sight at any other time, the aura, the topic, and Xiumin’s expression made nothing funny.

          Tao sighed. “Xiumin, I’m on your side. I’m not against you. Why are you treating me like I am? I think Aheun would have made a great Prix. The sibling contract will be approved. If it isn’t, next ceremony, we’ll definitely pick Aheun, no doubt. She’ll be our Prix no matter what, it’s only a matter of time.”

         “‘I’m afraid that approvals of sibling contracts are quite uncommon, sir’ – didn’t you hear the counsel?!”

         “I did. But it doesn’t mean it’s impossible. And there’s always –”

         “You expect me to just let Aheun endure a ing year in humiliation? What if next year, some other gang picks her, and Luhan doesn’t challenge? Or, if we somehow do challenge, Luhan doesn’t fight for her? Or, if we win the challenge and she’s in our gang, Luhan isn’t nice to her? Or what if –”

         “Get your priorities straight – do you want her as our Prix or Luhan’s acceptance of her?”

         “That girl got both, so why can’t Aheun? What, do you think that girl is better than Aheun? Is that it?! Have you gone mental too?!”

         Tao sighed again. “It’s not that she can’t, it’s just I don’t know what to say. You’re talking about one thing, and jumping to another, then another – I can’t keep up,” he explained gently. “Xiumin, I’m here for you. Just… calm down a bit, won’t you? I want to support you, but with you bouncing around like a bunny, I don’t know what to say first.”

         “Shut up. Don’t tell me to calm down,” Xiumin growled, but his voice was softer. He wanted to protect his pride, but he also understood Tao’s kind intentions. “I just don’t get it. What did Aheun do to go through such a hard time? She doesn’t deserve this, she tried so hard… I doubt that girl even tried. She had six records! That is so wrong. You know, sometimes, I think all those blows to the head really affected the gang. And that Lay’s healing ability is failing or something. How on earth is she fit to be Wolf’s Prix?!”

         Tao knew the answer. Jinah had good endurance and was brave, not to mention attractive. She was able to reason through tough situations, despite the pressure and mental burden, whereas Aheun would have burst into tears. Jinah tolerated the socially awkward walls between her and the gang, which Aheun have done, too. Aheun would have made an effort to make the gang be comfortable, whereas Jinah just left it alone and let time do its thing. Tao thought that neither was wrong. Jinah dealt with Xiumin’s irascible side and his relentless and impertinent remarks. She had morals, beliefs, and stayed true to her word. She was steadfast and honest, and Tao could see the effort she was making. Jinah’s determination and perseverance were rare attributes, which were innate, and not an act. She filled her head with what to do in the future, how to improve. Little things exemplified these personality traits, and not even Tao could repel the admiration and relief he felt for and from Jinah. She made things easier for them as a gang – less waiting, less being cautious, less awareness, and more. No hyperventilating, no traumatic phases, and no overly-sensitive moments. She was capable of handling new information and learning more constantly, interminably, nonstop, and maintain her mental stability. Tao could tell that Jinah wasn’t the type of girl to fangirl over good looks, or put makeup on to impress someone. Jinah was bold, independent, and bitterly strong. She came with Wolf and stayed in the base against her will, learned to fake around certain people, saw their supernatural powers, bears with the gang even if she doesn’t like them very much, witnessed gore, and more, yet she’s sane. He had never seen or heard her cry, even with the disturbing news about her friend – Minkyung, was it?

         Tao saw Jinah fight back, and it was hard not to compare her with Aheun, who would just immediately succumbed into other people’s wishes out of desire of peace. Not that it was a bad thing, it was just a matter of difference in personality, and the two were very different. Aheun was definitely kinder and more convenient, but Jinah was definitely shrewder and more interesting. He saw the way Jinah withstood broken ribs, and even managed to punch Sehun on top of that before capitulating. Not a single tear, not a single sign of insanity. She was also perspicacious. She was lucid, a deep and quick thinker, and a thorough analyzer. Even Tao, who tried keeping a distance from Jinah, knew that Jinah was fit to be Wolf’s Prix for so many things. The problem with Tao was that once he got to know someone, he got attached, and then biased, which always led to problems. He mentally shook his head. I’m on Xiumin’s side, and that means Aheun’s. Not Jinah’s. DE was never about justice or one truth.

          So instead of saying all those valid reasons in his head, Tao said, “I don’t know either.”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Some XiuTao~~ And I thought I ought to mention this: I have NOTHING against Xiumin, our adorable BaoZi. No one questioned that statement, but I wanted to make it clear. I started this fic by whim and ideas just kept coming, which is why I'm still writing it. At that time, Xiumin was just one of the random members and I picked him arbitrarily, which I regret because he's SO underrated and so sweet and kind, and I feel SO guilty for making him such a jerk in this fic :( To those who don't really know EXO that well - Xiumin's actually not like this ok!! ;;

AND DON'T HATE AHEUN TT I know I'm sort of setting you guys up to dislike her, but rememeber that she hasn't made her debut yet!! I swear she's not a bad person, she's just different from Jinah. I hope you'll keep that in mind! ><;; AND DON'T HATE XIUMIN EITHER OMFG

 

&you don't have to read this, but:

Several people told me about reasons why my story is an exception - unique plot, life in all side characters, how they made an account just to subscribe/comment/upvote it, how they did something exclusively to my story, etc. Guys, I can't express how lucky and fortunate I am to have such supportive, kind readers, honestly. As I always say - words cannot express my gratitude. At any rate, thank you so much. "Quality before quantity," they say, but I'm so lucky to have both. In my opinion, the # of subscribers, comments, and upvotes are more than enough, and the support you guys show me is far beyond my expectations. You guys are so patient (despite my late updates), loyal (still reading and giving me feedback), and kind (sweet compliments about the story and my writing skills), and adaptable (to the new dwelling names). Old, in-between, and new readers, thank you >_< You guys never fail to surprise me and give me that warm, giddy, fuzzy feeling inside. Huhu, I'm getting corny ;;

 

Next chapter will feature a curious Jinah and an aware Luhan ;) AND SOME BAEKYEOL !! (my gift to you ish hehe)

 

-deardeerhan