Chapter Nineteen

Wolf, the Top Gang

Jinah woke up late. She looked at her watch and it read eleven in the morning. She groaned – she had slept at four last night, which meant she only had seven hours of sleep. Or even less, since it took time to wash up and fall asleep. And to Jinah, it was little. Sure, she stayed up some nights to read and ended up sleeping in or very little, but insomnia didn’t fail to keep her senses awake. She was tired, but she was able to do things routinely and properly. But no matter how many times she had sleepless nights or little sleep, in the morning, she felt groggy.

           She stretched her arms and legs, causing her back to arch. Then she relaxed right away. It was a bad habit since she could damage her muscles from the sudden release of pressure, and Miss Kim told her off for it every time, but she couldn’t help it. It was a part of her morning routine. She frowned at the smell of wood and honey. It seemed familiar yet foreign. Her fingers grabbed the bed sheets – whoa, bed sheets? Not sleeping bag covers? The absence of Miss Kim’s nagging felt empty. Above was a similar white ceiling, but it was too white. She looked to her right. No light peeked through the blinds. That’s weird, she thought. It was eleven which was almost midday – shouldn’t it be really bright by now? And then she realized something. A weight on her waist.

          She pushed the random person in front of her but the male remained imp. Out of immediate reflex, she put a hand around the male’s neck and slammed him against the nearest surface – the window. Well, more or less, the blinds covering the wall. There was no window. Jinah blinked in confusion – no window? Then what was the purpose of blinds? Her eyes trailed down to the boy. Sehun?! What –

          Jinah remembered something else. She slept at four playing video games. She wasn’t in her dwelling. She was in someone else’s room. She got up with a start and looked around. She wasn’t sleepy now. Walls, big closet, desk, chair, drawers, large mirror – oh dear, is that how her hair looked right now?

           Jinah muffled a scream. Why was Sehun in her – okay, not her room, their room. Her rationality finally took its reign and she slowly backed up. I’m still a vi – yeah, duh, of course. You’re fine, Jinah. Stop thinking – “Ow!”

           Sehun grumbled something before smacking his arm against the wall, facing Jinah. Well, facing where Jinah was supposed to be. She rubbed her head which had came in contact with the ground quite hard and mouthed ‘ow’ again as she sat up. The bed was low enough for her to see Sehun’s face, which, in all honesty, was quite perfect. Almost. Not really, but – damn it, stop thinking, Jinah!

          She immediately collected herself and went back on the bed. She started panicking – she slammed him quite hard. “Sehun, are you okay? Holy crap…”

         He moaned a bit before he slid down and rested his head on his arm and made himself comfortable, his legs up to his chest. Jinah poked him but he remained immobile. He either died or fell asleep on the windowsill. Well, wallsill, if that was even possible. She smacked his cheeks and Sehun let out a small snore. He was sleeping. Okay then. Wow. She had no idea what to do or think. She wasn’t in her dwelling, okay. She was at Wolf’s base and she stayed up playing video games – surreal, but fine. Sehun was in the same room as her. No, scratch that – a male gang member was in the same room as her and she slept with – no, not with, together  in the same room. Not okay. Not fine. But it’s the past. Jinah groaned and she fell back on the bed. You have got to be kidding me. She glanced to the side and saw his sleeping and relaxed face expression. He looked like an angry baby. She stifled a chuckle at that thought.

          Jinah grabbed Sehun’s arm and leg and pulled him onto the bed. All those muscles and his height really weighed him down. But Jinah was quite strong too, so she managed to heave him onto his bed safely. Not wanting to wake him up or bother his sleep any further, she shifted back. Jinah let herself look at Sehun for awhile.

           It wasn’t that she admired him, or was in love with him – oh, of course not, he was a gang member, and she hardly knew him! But his facial features were undeniably picturesque and gorgeous. She took this time to analyze his face – not adore it, analyze. She hadn’t taken the time to really look at the gang’s faces. Looks weren’t a priority for Jinah, it never was, and it still isn’t, but it didn’t mean she was completely oblivious of them. Sehun’s handsome face didn’t make her heart pound or send shivers down her spine, but it made her wonder…what hides underneath that beautiful mask? He had flaws, of course – his nose was a tad bigger than what was considered ‘average’, and his eyelids were uniquely shaped. He had a little dot by his neck and, like everyone else, he had pores on his face. But they were indistinctive and it didn’t ruin the picture. It reminded Jinah that gang members and males, in the end, were human. Truth be told, Jinah didn’t really find any of the gang members attractive, but it was only now did she realize that she wasn’t disgusted by them. They were all good-looking, unambiguously. But that didn’t change her opinion on any of them. Sehun was still dull to the point he bored her out of her mind and Xiumin was still a jerk to the point she felt like pulling his hair out.

           With a sigh, she got off the extremely comfortable bed and began rummaging through her bag and took out a book – her favorite. But she didn’t take it out to read it, it was what she put into it. She flipped through the pages – ah. There it was. There was a folded piece of paper within the pages. It was thin so it was unnoticeable. It was especially thin. Females weren’t thought of worthy enough for good, stable, thick paper. Instead they had to deal with fragile, whippy, almost transparent papers. She opened it. It was notes she took one class during Miss Kim’s lesson. Miss Kim made sure every single candidate took notes. She skimmed through it: First day at the gang’s home – nope, not here. First day was over. Second… Second day at gang’s home: wake up at eight sharp. Oops, too late. Prepare breakfast using groceries bought on Day 1. Oh. Groceries? The only thing they had were water, some vegetables, and instant noodles. What could she make out of it? She doubted the gang would like to eat instant ramen first thing in the morning. She didn’t feel like eating it either. What she did want to eat was either toast or cereal, with fruits, not vegetables.

           She looked down at herself – shorts and a shirt under a hoodie. She wasn’t trying to impress anybody, so who cared? She suppressed a yawn as she went to the large bathroom as yawning would make her eyes watery. She still wasn’t used to how luxurious and big everything was, but if it had a sink and a toilet she was going to use it as she would with any other sink. Jinah washed her face, brushed her teeth, combed her hair and smacked her cheeks to give herself a last wakeup call all within ten minutes. Then she took out a pen from her pencil case from her knapsack, took her notebook from the same bag, and snatched the thin note on Day 1-Day 3 with Miss Kim. With the three things in her hand, she walked out of the room, thinking about what to buy. Bread, so bakery…and fruits, so grocery store…maybe a few snacks, so the convenience store…clothes, so to the clothing shop, and cereal, so back to the grocery store… she took notes as she walked and finished listing the things she needed – eggs, fruits, milk, butter, fish, onions, and carrots. They had bought lettuce, beans, and tomatoes yesterday. Jinah was never a fan of vegetables, but she knew they were essential.

           She looked at the list on her notebook. Good enough. Next problem was money. Just taking money would be rude…but so would waking them up – wait, she had the right to wake them up, right? She was their Prix…still, they should have their rest. They probably weren’t used to sleepless nights the way she was. Baekhyun’s wallet was on the couch, she saw a brown leather one with the letters, Wolf BH in gold at the front. Just taking would be stealing…but it was for them, as in the gang, right? Might as well use it…but it was his money, not the gang’s. Where was the gang’s money stored? She was part of the gang so she had permission to use it, right?

           Jinah blew her bangs. She didn’t know what to do.

           “You’re awake?”

           Jinah jumped in surprise and whipped around to see a tired Luhan. He yawned freely and rubbed his eyes, his blonde hair sticking out in a myriad of random directions. His messy hair was strangely not unattractive. Remembering her own bed hair, Jinah almost shuddered. Luhan scanned her from head to toe. She was pretty without makeup, in his opinion. Then again, she looked pretty with makeup too. It was two different types of pretty. “What are you doing up so early?” he asked, his morning voice somewhat hoarse and lower than usual.

           “It’s past eleven,” she stated monotonously.

           “Exactly. It’s practically dawn.”

           Jinah snorted. This scene felt like déjà vu. Miss Kim. Dwelling. “It’s almost noon.”

           “They don’t even come out of their rooms until half an hour later,” Luhan grumbled, referring to his gang mates, yawning again. “So? Where to?”

           “Huh?”

           Luhan pointed to her notebook. “We’re going shopping, right? Where to?”

           Jinah looked down at her notebook and back up at Luhan. Did he just invite himself? She opened to say that she could handle this task perfectly well on her own but then realized she needed the money. “The bakery, grocery store, convenience store, and then…the clothing shop,” she said.

           “Mm. So markets.”

           “Markets?”

           Luhan nodded. He reached to the plastic plate on the side of the wall, next to hers and Sehun’s room – small hooks were there and on them were keys. He took two and linked them together. “Everything’s in the markets. It’s right in front of us. You’ve been there last night with Baekhyun, right? You probably only saw the kitchen appliances and those stuffs. We go in a bit deeper and you’ll find clothes there – even jewelry or accessories. It literally has everything, you just need to know where to look and go.” He walked past her to leave, but when she didn’t follow, he stopped and looked back at her. “Aren’t you coming?”

           “Aren’t you changing?”

           Luhan looked down at himself – he was wearing a white tee shirt, holding an indigo letterman jacket, and black pants. “No. Do I have to?”

           Jinah shook her head in response as she put her hood up. The ends of her hair poked out, her bangs almost covering her eye. She snapped her head sideways, forcing the bangs aside without touching them with her fingers. She was just about to wear her shoes – until she realized that they were combat boots. Comfortable shorts and combat boots didn’t really go well. She held up an index finger to tell Luhan to wait as she rushed into Sehun’s room, quietly took her sneakers out from her bag, and exited just as quietly to make sure Sehun didn’t wake up. Luhan laughed at her mentally – it wasn’t to mock her. She was cute. And she wasn’t even trying.

           She tied her sneakers loosely and Luhan stepped into his own sneakers with ease. He kicked the floor a few times to make sure his feet were completely in. He put his hands in his pockets as he walked next to Jinah, out the dark tunnel, up the stairs, and out of the building that looked like a dream glass penthouse.

           “What are we buying first?” Luhan asked in the car, starting it up with one of the keys. The engine revved as it woke up.

           Jinah tucked her belt in and opened her notebook in the passenger seat. “Which store’s the nearest?”

           “Food. But let’s get the clothes first.”

           She scoffed a little. “You just answered your question.”

           Luhan shrugged. “I thought you’d want clothes first.”

           “Oh? Because I’m a girl?” she challenged. Luhan frowned at the sharpness in her voice. Her cold walls hadn’t sunken a bit since they talked. What made her so distrusting of everything? When was she going to let down her walls? Jinah went on, “Of course I’d want designer brand clothes and waste the gang’s money for my own selfish needs, right?”

           He chuckled at the reason behind her sharp and cold tone. “No, it’s because I thought asking your opinion would be polite. You know. Because I actually care about your opinion. But,” he gripped the wheel, ready to drive, “I guess you preferred productivity over instant pleasure. I find relief in buying things I want, too, you know. It’s not just girls.” Luhan rolled his shoulders back and stretched his neck. He lazily looked at her, “Let’s buy food first, then, if you really don’t mind?”

           She crossed her arms in front of her chest, looked out the car window, and muttered something she thought was inaudible. But Luhan heard what she had said: “Just put your seatbelt on.” Smirking, he did his seatbelt. Maybe her walls weren’t as sturdy as he had thought.

 

-----------------------------------------

Hysterical Jinah keke. AND HOW'D YOU GUYS LIKE THE LITTLE MOMENT. YEAH? UH-HUH? MHM? uh well, hope you liked it & that it made up for all the developing chapters. There's also a reason why Luhan, who was dscribed as brutal, harsh, and cold, is being exceptionally nice and "polite" to Jinah. /deep breath/ when I complete this story I'm just going to die

 

THIS STORY IS NOWHERE NEAR ITS END. That being said.. do you guys like happy endings or sad ones? :o juuuust curious.. yeah :o

 

 

-Seohee