Chapter Fifty-Four

Wolf, the Top Gang

The next morning was routinely. It was dark as ever because they were underground, but even if they were in the replica base upstairs, it would have been dim. The slight weather change was perceivable to anyone who actually paid attention or were meticulous observers like Sehun, who woke up from Jinah’s alarm. He turned it off as usual and let out a small, dull yawn. Even a genuine yawn from Sehun was hardly noticeable. He shook Jinah who was unresponsive. Knowing that it would take a few more shakes to get her up, he let himself ease into full consciousness slowly and at a desirable pace.

          When his empty eyes lost most sleepiness, he shook Jinah again, who let out a groan of acknowledgement. Sehun picked up the fact book that was resting on the windowsill (or wallsill, as Jinah called it) and began reading. He didn’t plan on returning it to Jinah until he finished it. After every few sentences, he shook Jinah without looking at her. How she managed to be a Top Candidate with her laziness in the morning, Sehun had no idea, but he guessed from his observations, that it was due to her intense determination. He figured she could get up at five in the morning if she was driven enough. It would explain the all-nighters she frequented.

          Twenty minutes later, Jinah hoisted herself up. She felt horrible and sick, but she it up. Her hair was a tangled mess and she could just barely keep her eyes open. Then she did the usual: she got up to make breakfast (brunch, really, considering the time the gang woke up. Or maybe just lunch) which was toast with jam and an egg for each head. She made her way to the kitchen and got the loaves of bread from Nana’s Bakery out. One trip there and you spend a fortune – at least a hundred bucks. There were two toasters, both large, wide, and fast. Each toaster had seven slots that finished toasting in under a minute. While that was going, Jinah cracked the eggs by the side counter and let it sizzle on the pans over the stove. When the toasts came out, she placed them on plates and put another set in both so everybody could eat at least two. The remaining two slots were also filled because D.O and Kris ate three. While that toasted, she got out thirteen cups and the jug of milk while Sehun came out of the room to help. He put the things on the other counter so that Jinah could productively get breakfast ready.

          The same as ever, Sehun and Jinah hit the couch and watched TV until around noon, which was when the gang woke up to eat. They were welcomed by hard toast and cold eggs, but most of them couldn’t care less, but Xiumin did. He went on a tirade, comparing Jinah and Aheun, which no one really paid attention to. Jinah was completely unaffected by it, especially because she had no idea how Aheun was like. Was she really as amazing as Xiumin described her to be, or was she really as bratty as Chanyeol complained her to be? After everyone was out and eating, Jinah went to her room where she could enjoy some quiet time by herself.

          Jinah sighed as she plopped down in the cushion chair. Ever since last night, Jinah couldn’t stop thinking. Whether it’s far away or up close, you’re still beautiful. She mentally snorted. Stupid Luhan. What’s he trying to do? She flicked her pencil back and forth, deciding which book to attack first. Last night, she had just finished her notes on the digestive, skeletal, circulatory, and muscular system of the human being. Now she had to work on the nervous and respiratory system. She highly doubted abilities had to do anything with the integumentary, reproductive, endocrine, or urinary system, so she canceled those out. She wasn’t particularly interested in those systems either. After she finished her research, she would have to go to experimenting and collect data, comparing weights, heights, and other factors of the gang members. She scanned the table of contents and started reading from page one, but just as she was about to, she ran out of lead.

          Another frustrated sigh left Jinah’s lips as she opened her pencil case and shook the lead case. Empty. Groaning, she searched her vicinity, but it was in vain. Jinah closed her eyes in annoyance, but then she opened them again. A flash of violet… what was that? She looked to the side, on top of the shelves was a small velvet pouch. Frowning a little, Jinah stood up and went over to it. Taking it into her hand, she felt it. It was smooth, purple, and velvety on the outside, but she could make out a circular item inside. Just as she was about to put it aside, in case it was Sehun’s, she realized that she was familiar with this object. Just then, something clicked inside her head. She remembered that before she left the Callidum dwelling with Wolf, Miss Kim had gifted her this little pouch, only she had been distracted by the kimchi stew and package of sweets to focus on this little pocket at that time.

          She opened it and to her surprise, a ring was inside. There was a small white pearl embedded in the center-front, and the rest of the ring was gold. Jinah didn’t know if it was real gold or not, but the color sure was fancy. She played with it for a bit, sliding her fingertip over the small, cool white stone. But then it suddenly turned warm before it cooled again. Surprised, Jinah blinked. She was intrigued, so she instinctively slid her fingers over the white stone again and there was that flash of warmth again with a glimmer of silver. Jinah gasped a little – what was this thing? Why did Miss Kim give it to her? She checked the pouch but there was no note. She hesitated, but she swallowed saliva down her sore throat and gained some courage. She pressed her finger onto the stone and it heated up. The lustrous little gem began glowing in faint blue. Jinah’s lips separated in fascination and curiosity. The blue light grew without warning, and it projected a screen. Jinah’s finger slowly slid away from the stone as it showed a scene in full color and high quality. It was – a sink? Jinah could see and hear the running water, and the distant noise of TV, but then the water stopped running and the scene shifted to someone’s face, a woman’s. She looked very familiar…

          “J-Jinah?” the woman asked.

          Jinah’s eyes widened, startled. How did this woman know her name? “Um, who are you?”

          “It’s Jinah! Oh my goodness – honey, come over here, it’s Jinah! She finally Bonded!”

          Jinah could hear a man’s voice, saying: “You said that ten seconds ago. Are you sure it’s not a false alarm again?”

          “No! I can see her face! Honey, it’s really her! Oh, she has your nose…”

          Jinah thought the impossible – were they her parents? No. Impossible. Absolutely, utterly, completely, incredibly impossible. There was no way that could be true. Jinah felt her heart clench as the scene jolted from side to side. She guessed that the item that was connected to this ring on their side had been around the woman’s neck (as a necklace) and they were getting it off. In the meantime, Jinah stared at the screen with the ring in her palm. She moved it to the desk, not trusting herself to balance it on her palm. She was slightly dazed.

          “W-Who are you?” she asked carefully when they set the necklace down so that Jinah could see both of their faces fully. She feared their answer.

          “Your parents, Jinah,” said the woman.

          Jinah gulped. She had to admit, she did have a similar nose to the man’s and she had the woman’s uneven dimples and eye shape. She even saw that she had dull canines like the woman, but it wasn’t enough to convince her. So, Jinah did what she thought was the best, fitting, wisest, and the most logical decision that she could make in this situation.

          “LUHAN!”

          Seconds later, the called one walked in. “Yeah?”

          Jinah turned back and stared at Luhan with wide and slightly frightened eyes. She was rattled and shocked to the point she felt numb, and Luhan could tell. His eyes rounded at her face, and then shifted to her environment and saw the screen. Then, he softened, his grip on the door handle that had momentarily been stiff, now relaxed.

          “What is this?” Jinah whispered ghostly.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Original: Hey guys, I haven't updated in about 3 months, and I'm here to explain what happened. No, it wasn't an issue with the internet. No, summer school wasn't overwhelming. What was overwhelming, however, was the unexpected collapse of a relative I hold dear. It really took me back. We got her to the emergency hospital but she was already in critical condition before we arrived. During these past three months, I drowned myself in regrets and self-reflection. From "I wish I was nicer to her" to "Why couldn't I have been a better family member?" and more. It felt inappropriate and unfitting to write a fanfiction of idols while my aunt was in bed at the hospital. The reason why her condition was critical was due to our ignorance. I never noticed the pain she was going through with her jolly aura and bright smiles. I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Since about two weeks ago, I realized that I should not be neglecting my other committments - sports, hobbies, my other family, friends, and my passion for writing (with the ever-so lovely readers) as a similar thing could happen (eg. lose interest in long-time hobbies, lose trust/updates from friends, etc.). She's has two surgeries so far and as of now, she is pretty safe, and I hope it stays that way. She has a third surgery schedules for next month in Korea, so I hope that works out well. I will be updating and I honestly am trying to find the motivation and inspiration to write among my other things. My updates may be infrequent, but I thought you guys had the right to know what happened.

tl;dr: My aunt became very ill and had to be hospitalized. As a result, I stopped writing fanfics because it felt inappropriate and wrong to do so when I should be focusing on her and the rest of my family. However, since two weeks ago, I realized I shouldn't neglect my other committments, which is why I decided to try writing and updating, as long as doing my other hobbies and fulfilling my other duties.

*Please refrain from asking details as it is something I do not wish to share nor advertise. Thank you.*

 

ALSO (ik long a/n): thank you SO much for continuously subscribing, upvoting, and commenting on this story. Your guys' persistence played a big role into regaining my motivation. Words cannot express how grateful and unreal the numbers seem - so thank you, a lot. :') And I will be answering all comments, even though it might take me awhile. Again, thank you!

 

 

-deardeerhan