Chapter Twenty-Six

Wolf, the Top Gang

Baekhyun checked his phone as they walked out. “It started. It’s time we go now, right?”

          Luhan stretched his neck. “Are our old clothes in the van?”

          Baekhyun nodded. “And shoes. Got your bands? It should be in your pockets.”

          “We need to get Jinah one,” Chanyeol said, searching through his pockets.

          “We have extras in the vans,” Suho reminded him.

          Jinah frowned. Van? Bands? What?

          Lay smiled at her, understanding her confusion. “Yes, we have a van. Two actually. It can take the thirteen of us, six in one, seven in the other. We need to change into something more…professional. Bands as in bracelets – the color of it shows the rank of your gang. It's your admission to the Rave.” he raised his hand and showed get a thin glow stick connected to the other side. “Crack and it glows. Crack it again and it’ll fade. Next time you want to use it, crack it. Cheap and reusable.”

          Jinah nodded. “What color is ours?”

          Lay grinned at ‘ours’. He cracked his band as a color permeated through the stick in fluorescent liquid. “Red.”

          Xiumin sighed. “I call Van A. Put Jinah in B.”

          Tao smiled apologetically at Jinah, but she ignored it. Xiumin was doing her a favor – the dislike for one another was mutual. Baekhyun glared at Xiumin anyway. Xiumin glared back. Baekhyun rolled his big eyes and put his arm around Jinah. “Van B is better. I’m in it.”

          Jinah let out a noise that was crossed between a snort and a laugh. She wriggled out of Baekhyun’s arm. “Okay Baekhyun, okay.”

          He grinned. “It’s true. Why do you think it’s called Van B?” They arrived at a wall. Jinah could guess what was going to happen. “Because it means Van Baekhyun.”

          Jinah rolled her eyes but it was hard to suppress a smile at his super immature joke. The wall shifted upwards, revealing two black vans. Jinah had guessed it but it didn’t stop her from being fascinated.

          Kai slithered next to Baekhyun. “I’m in B. Let’s do the regular?”

          Lay nodded. “I’ll go with Xiumin, Tao, Suho, Chanyeol, and Kris in A. The rest – Chen, Jinah, D.O, Luhan, Sehun, Kai and Baekhyun – in B. Sound good?”

          The gang nodded. They went to separate vans. Luhan stealthily and unnoticeably put his hands on Jinah’s back and gently pushed her towards the van. Jinah tried hiding her flinches, but Luhan noticed it. He smirked and pressed his hands deeper just to . She shot him a somewhat dirty look before she quickly got on and sat down at the back, where D.O and Chen were sitting. In the middle were Baekhyun and Kai. Sehun took the wheels so Luhan sat in the passenger seat. Sehun started the engine and slowly drove out of the wall.

          She’s so similar yet different from her, Luhan thought. And then immediately, his grip on the armrest tightened. He took a deep breath to steady himself. She’s gone. Stop.

          Sehun glanced at Luhan. He’s probably thinking of her. Sehun let out an inaudible sigh. That girl. He didn’t like her. He never did. He always had a bad feeling about her, and it was with foreboding he was dubious. And he was right. Look what she did to Luhan, to the gang.

          At the back, Chen, D.O, and Jinah were talking and laughing. Jinah was slowly getting on better terms with Chen and D.O, which was nice because they seemed quite normal. Not to mention funny.

          “And I was like – whoa there, don’t mean to be mean, but you’re average. Her face after was amazing! I don’t even think she got the joke.” Chen slapped his knee as he laughed at his own joke. It was a geek math joke – average, mean. It was so lame it was funny.

          Jinah snorted. “That was a terrible joke.”

          “You’re laughing at the terrible joke.”

          “Because it’s so lame, I don’t know what else to do!”

          D.O smiled. “It’s nice to see you finally laughing and communicating. It took you long enough.”

     “It’s only been two days,” Jinah said with a laugh.

           D.O shrugged. “Felt like forever.”

          Her smiles, her laughs – it’s all still fake, thought Luhan, who overheard their conversation. Well, it was hard not to. Kai and Baekhyun were mumbling for once, not shouting. The three were the only ones talking. Am I the only one that can see that it’s all an act? It’s so obvious.

          “I laughed at Baekhyun, Luhan, and Sehun for putting instant ramen in the refrigerator,” Jinah reminded D.O.

          Luhan silently smiled. That was real laughter. But she hadn’t shown any sign of genuine happiness. Sure, she laughed because it was funny, but it’s not like that made her happy, so it didn’t count. He frowned at himself. Was he pondering over a girl? He shook his head violently. What are you doing, Luhan…

          “So where is the Rave? Is it someone’s base or a worn out warehouse or something?” Jinah asked.

          Chen waved his hand, as if saying no. “It’s underground. You’d think there’d be sewers down there, but it’s really just a long and wide room with the DJ and speaker up at the front. Your ears die there, okay? Don’t go there. At the back is the bar and a few couches. Avoid those – people make out there with strangers, it’s gross. On the sides are tables. Everywhere else is occupied by people.”

          Jinah slouched in her seat. “Sounds stupid as hell.” But then she sparked up. “Fang. Do you know them? Can you tell me stuff about them?”

          Chen and D.O exchanged a look. D.O cleared his throat. “Uh, they’re a bunch of pricks, long story short.”

          “They have thirteen es as Prixes,” Chen said.

          “They’re a Top Gang,” D.O added.

          “Yeah. Oh, they think they’re really cool.”

          “Didn’t they have SISTAR as their Prixes?” Jinah said, remembering the sign: “4MINUTE & SISTAR”. If Hyuna and her gang was 4MINUTE, then clearly Soyu, Bora, Dasom, and Hyorin were SISTAR. “They had three escape, right?”

          Chen his lips, feeling a bit nervous. Jinah didn’t know why though. “Yeah. Few years ago. It was all over the news. I was a rookie gang member then so I don’t really know much.”

          “Neither do I,” D.O said, and then added an awkward laugh.

          So Fang was also a sensitive topic for Wolf. Why? What happened? Jinah was curious. She wanted to know. The thirst for knowledge wasn’t taught, it was an innate trait. But her face didn’t show it, and it seemed to relieve Chen and D.O. They thought she lost interest when in reality, she wanted to know more.

          “What if I punch them?” Jinah said, bringing the topic back.

          Chen shook his head wildly with big eyes. “That’s a big no, Jinah. Avoid all contact with Fang. All contact. Don’t even talk to them.” He seemed to be whispering but it really made no difference. Everyone in the van could hear it anyway.

          Jinah nodded. A sensible reason for a punch is self-defense. She’d have to get them to attack her. But how? Gangs fought every day but you don’t just look at a random person and decide to beat them up. If you were venting or drunk, then yeah. But those were out of Jinah’s control. So how? Accidentally bump into them to enrage them? Stupid. Avoid all contact, Chen had said.

          Sehun let the wheel roll before grasping it again as he slowed down the van. There were other cars and vehicles nearby, but spread out. The other six looked out. “Are we here?” Kai asked, but knowing Sehun, Kai knew he wouldn't get an answer, especially when it was right in front of him.

          Jinah grimaced. It was a dark alley but underground music was booming and the words were audible and coherent. If she could hear it clearly up here, how loud was it down there? Jinah also saw that the ground was rocky cement. She was bound to trip, especially with get unfamiliarity with heels. As Sehun parked the van and Jinah unfastened her belt (no one else had their belt on, except for Sehun), she said to Chen in a disapproving whisper, “How do people not go deaf down there?”

          Chen shrugged and smiled. “Don’t worry. Just don’t go near the speakers.”

          Jinah sighed, “How troublesome.”

          Chen smiled a bit. That’s what Sehun says all the time. Maybe Jinah really was meant to be our Prix. She is everything but fragile, after all.

          As they piled out, the other van arrived too. When Chen got off, he stuck out a hand for Jinah to take, but she simply cleared and got out by herself. She didn’t mean to be rude; it was just that skinship wasn’t a common and easy thing for her. Accepting help was the same. To be perfectly honest, Jinah had actually considered going to Soyu and the rest as a possible option. Even if she was okay with accepting help, if she did and if she planned on leaving, she’d feel guilty. Anyone with humanity and a heart would. Wolf was okay, but Xiumin wasn’t. A part of her wanted to help them be normal – a gang without a Prix is an incomplete gang – but why should she? What did they ever do for her? Besides, Xiumin would be a lot happier with his sister as a Prix.

          As Jinah got lost in her thoughts, she tripped in the midst of walking with her heels. Of course she did, and as always, she managed not to fall. Well, more like someone stopped her from falling. She looked up and saw a smirking Luhan, his hands firmly but painlessly on her arms. Jinah shook him off and bit the insides of her cheeks before she straightened up. Should she thank him? Then again, she didn’t ask for help. And it wasn’t like this gang was polite in general. Lay was, but not the rest. She remembered the way Suho addressed Miss Kim. Disrespectful. Rude. But do they know any better? Jinah highly doubted they were taught manners and etiquettes the way she was at her dwelling.

          Luhan was still smirking as he shoved his hands in his pocket. “Heels really aren’t your thing.”

          “Dressing up in general isn’t my thing,” Jinah mumbled before she flattened the skirt part of her dress, looking down at it.

          When she turned away he grabbed her wrist. It wasn’t so strong that it was hurtful or aggressive, but it wasn’t so light that she could escape easily. Well, Jinah being Jinah, probably could. “No band, no admission,” was all Luhan said before he slid something on Jinah’s wrist, opposite from the one with the bracelets. It was the thing that Lay had. The red spread itself out, illuminating her wrist. Before she could say anything, he said, “I have your watch by the way. Do you want it?”

          “Yes,” Jinah answered immediately.

          He smirked. “Figured.” He handed her the watch and Jinah instantly put it on her left wrist, pushing the band up with her pinky as she clasped it in place. She muttered a thanks. It wasn’t help but it would be rude not to say thank you in this situation. She learnt it at her dwelling. This type of thanks doesn’t have to be repaid, she reassured herself. She didn’t feel reassured or satisfied at all though.

          Luhan nodded a bit at her before he turned her around so she could head towards her right direction.

 

 

-----------------------------------------

haha little JinHan/LuNah moment > < Oh, and, the chapter might not be rated.. like, it's still the same thing, but I don't think it has to be rated. I mean, I warned you guys all in the foreword, right? :o Hm, if AFF rates it, then whateverr~

 

-Seohee