Chapter Sixteen

Wolf, the Top Gang

While that was happening, Team Three had a small talk. They were still moving and working so they weren’t scolded by anyone for slacking, because, really, they weren’t. Everyone else was talking too; rumors about other gangs, latest technology, political news, video games, trends, so on. But Team Three’s conversation was a little bit different.

           “Do you think we chose well?” D.O asked. “I mean, she seems great and everything, but I don’t know…”

           “How’s Xiumin?” Chen asked, specifically to Tao.

           Tao smiled a bit. “He’ll be okay. He’s just a bit angry.”

           “What did the counsel say?” said Chen, remembering Xiumin storm away earlier to talk to the counsel about the sibling contract. Tao had went with him.

           “They said they’ll need a letter from us, as a gang, explaining why we want Aheun as a Prix right now instead of next year,” Tao said. “They also have to check Aheun’s profile, records, status, everything. A sibling contract is a lengthy process. That’s what the counsel told him, which is why Xiumin is feeling so restless.”

           “Damn, it feels like we’re releasing her…but the counsel has a point – why don’t we wait until next year? We can pick Aheun up then,” Kris said. “I don’t get why Xiumin is feeling so agitated.”

           Tao shook his head. “Xiumin doesn’t want Aheun to suffer through a year of humiliation and run though the ceremonial course again. Girls may be fragile, but it doesn’t stop them from being mean to each other. Besides, Kris – I know you saw the way D.O frown at Aheun’s makeup.”

           Kris laughed at that, lightly punching his friend’s shoulder. “Right. I didn’t know you still had a thing for Aheun. It’s been two years already!”

           “D.O may not seem like it, but he’s sincere with his feelings,” Chen said, making D.O pout, but it was true. Chen smiled, and then turned to face Tao. “We all like Aheun. I hope Xiumin understands that. We have nothing against her and she’d make a great Prix. It’s just that Jinah seems to be a better choice, putting personal relations and memories aside. D.O’s nice to Jinah too, so it doesn’t seem like he has a grudge. I mean, he doubts our decision sometimes, but he’s still nice to her. Right?”

           D.O nodded. “I have nothing against her. She’s pretty cool.”

           “Plus, you haven’t forgotten the rule when choosing Prixes in Wolf, right, D.O? And, besides,” he looked at Luhan, who was chattering with Jinah as she worked at the stew by the fire, “have you seen our cold-hearted prince interacting willingly like that?”

           “It’s been two years already, too…” Kris said, remembering why Luhan got so cold. He was always a bit distant and hard to approach, but he was nice and he made jokes. He was gentle. Luhan appeared disinterested, but he participated without complaint. But since two years, he became cold, harsh, cruel, and even rude. He didn’t stop smiling though – but Luhan’s smiles were now eerie and artificial, not bright and genuine. The gang noticed that a long time ago. Then, because of the tight atmosphere, Kris brought something up that was surely going to make the others laugh: “Good times in training.”

           Chen and D.O nodded, and then laughed aloud at the memories. Most of them were in the same training group. Xiumin and Tao were in another group with Kai and Chanyeol. The rest were with Chen, Kris, and D.O. Kai and Chanyeol progressed too quickly so the Army put them in a more advanced group – the group where the elite Luhan, Sehun, Baekhyun, Suho, and Lay were. The five had to leave D.O, Kris, and Chen behind to advance. They were bonded together, however, at fifteen as a gang and they were all so glad. Too bad the Prix back then was…well, let’s not think about it now, Chen thought. They learned from the incident. Now they had to apply what they learned into their life.

           “Don’t you think we’re…getting too caught in…again?” D.O asked quietly.

           Tao shrugged. “Maybe. But it shouldn’t stop us from being kind. There’s a difference between a wise mind and a grudged mind.”

           Kris nodded. “You’re right.”

           Like that, forty minutes passed, and the rice cooker hissed and beeped and sang in a young and bright, commercial-female, singsong voice, “Rice is done cooking! Enjoy your meal~”

           “Sweet!” D.O exclaimed, as he dashed out of the kitchen and sat down in a chair by the table excitedly. He his lips. Slowly, the other gang members followed suit.

           Jinah finished scooping the stew into the washed bowls. “Baekhyun, can you set the table? Wash your hands before you touch the cutlery.”

           “Okay!” Baekhyun said as he washed his hands in the sink, where Lay and Kai completed their task and headed for the table too.

           Sehun came quietly to put the stew-filled bowls onto a tray which he took to the table, where the gang was sitting and talking. Jinah hadn’t even asked him to do it, but he took the initiative anyway. She thanked him as she looked for cups to pour water in.

           “Food, food, food,” D.O chanted. “Finally we can eat, oh gosh. It’s three. We’re eating at quarter past three. Food, food, food…”

           Kris smacked the back of his head. “Smarten up you little pig,” he scolded jokingly. Then he ruffled D.O’s hair.

           “I’m getting back at you all after this,” Chanyeol promised, eyeing them all except for Lay and Kris, who were on his team. “Especially you, Sehun!” he said when Sehun came with the stew while wearing his poker-face. He didn’t even answer Chanyeol’s demanding challenge, and the gang laughed. And then it was quiet again.

           D.O glanced at Jinah to ask when they could eat, but he found her staring wide-eyed at the open fridge.

           D.O wasn’t the only one who noticed that. The gang did too. “What? What is it?” Baekhyun asked.

           “Who organized this?” she asked in a tight voice, the way people do when hiding great emotion and judging from her blank face, it was undoubtedly anger.

           “Uh, us,” Baekhyun said, pointing to Luhan and Sehun.

           Then it was silent. The girl stared at the gang, and the gang at her. When they saw her eyes narrow and eyebrows furrow, they gulped. They could sense a freak storm coming their way.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

 Dun dun dun... ;) So! Big thanks to y'all for subscribing and upvoting this story >v< Hehe, thank you~ Don't forget to comment though, I appreciate those too ;-;

 

Are you guys curious about how Jinah's and Jaein's long-time rivalry started? How about Luhan's, Kai's, Baekhyun's, and Sehun's with soon-to-be-revealed people? Huehue, they're found in the side-story collection. With Jinah vs Jaein, it's chapter one. With Luhan's, Kai's, Baekhyun's, and Sehun's (together) against others, is chapter four (I advise you to read chapter three before though - it's really short). Continue to read if you're curious about hood life/Army life! ^_^ Plus, I just updated the collection. Read chapters 3-5 to read the newest one - chapter six! :D

 

 

-Seohee