Chapter Forty-Two

Wolf, the Top Gang

Jinah couldn’t think of anything to say. She was baffled. What Liha was saying was so stupid and absurd, but Jinah knew that not everything she said was untrue. Jinah knew that females were ranked ‘lower’ in social statuses compared to males. She knew that females in this era were, and still are, mistreated. But weren’t privacy and basic rights… well, basic?

           “Even Minjung…” Jinah snapped out of her thoughts and listened intently to Liha due to her best friend’s name being said. After all, Minjung’s name was just like her own. “She was really happy to be picked by Claw. But Claw… I heard my gang talk about them.” Liha’s voice was now a mere whisper, but Jinah could hear her very clearly. Liha swallowed before she went on, “Claw usually ends up killing their Prixes.” Jinah’s heart sank heavily. K-Kill?! No words formed, and even the stutters and nonsense were stuck in . She made no sound. Only trembling exhales of disbelief escaped from Jinah’s mouth, and Liha instantly felt bad that she told Jinah about this. However, it was necessary, and Liha knew it. Sooner or later, Jinah would have found out. Newer wounds were easier to heal. Plus, now, with this information, Jinah would understand what type of era it was. Liha bowed at Jinah out of mutual, polite respect, for Jinah too, was considered a “Top Prix”. She gave a slightly apologetic smile to her old dwelling mate out of sympathy. “I sincerely hope that your gang continues to treat you well. I should go now, or I’ll be punished.”

          Jinah numbly nodded. She wasted enough of Liha’s time, and the last bit of news about Minjung made Jinah feel rotten and torn inside. Liha turned around and walked away, leaving Jinah speechless. Liha started walking away, but then something inside of Jinah woke up and she ran after Liha automatically. She caught the girl’s arm with a different sense of bravery and energy. There were certain things that needed to be clarified and straightened out. “Liha, I don’t know what the hell those pricks,” Jinah fiercely glared at Cougar – more specifically, Hyunshik, then gazed back at Liha sternly but not as ferociously, “taught you, but you’re brainwashed. Insane. We’re humans, damn it! Minjung isn’t going to die. I – we have our own strengths, as girls. Don’t forget that. Don’t you dare forget that. Swear it upon your title as a former Callidum. I’m serious.”

          Liha gave her that sad smile again, her eyes shining with fresh tears. She gently pushed Jinah’s hand down, and Jinah’s grasp weakened and slid down Liha’s arm until it slipped out. Something swam in Liha’s eyes, and it was so, so bitter and hateful. “No, we don’t. I’m glad that you’re becoming more optimistic, and thank you for your – err – hm, attempted encouragement, but I’m not stupid. I know exactly what my purpose of life is now. We don’t have our own strengths. Not enough, anyway. It’ll never be enough. And this is just the start. Don’t you realize? Females are worthless.” At that harsh word, Jinah took a sharp intake of breath. “Please try to understand what I said,” Liha continued, her tone softening. “Okay? It’s DE, and there’s nothing we can do about it.” Liha turned around again and began walking to her gang, faster this time. Cougar turned their backs on her and began heading for their base, wherever that was. Liha scurried over to them quietly and obediently, and finally they were nothing but small figures in the far distance.

          All of Jinah’s willpower broke down in seconds. It was very strange, because Jinah’s burning determination has never been dampened, especially never in seconds. Perhaps, somewhere, deep down, Jinah too, knew it was futile. No, Jinah thought. It’s too early for that. However, Liha’s voice and fragments of their conversation echoed inside Jinah’s head, ringing nightmarishly.

          Our rights as a human have been stripped once we were chosen.

          Females are worthless.

          This is just the start.

          Claw usually ends up killing their Prix.

          Females don’t have rights or privileges.

          There’s nothing we can do about it.

          It’s DE.

          It’s DE. Jinah laughed. How much she hated that excuse, and how much she detested hearing it. Everyone used it – Miss Park, Miss Kim, Minjung, Liha, Jaein – everyone. It’s DE. DE? Jinah clenched her fists so hard, her knuckles turned white. She growled in frustration and punched the wall next to her. It was made out of bricks so her knuckles began bleeding, leaving the wall unharmed, much to her anger. A really stupid thing to do, it was, but she didn’t care. She grabbed a fistful of her own hair and remembered how Hyunshik treated Liha. Jinah growled loudly in a surprisingly high-pitch, and kicked the wall. Her toes hurt but the pain kept her sane. If it didn’t hurt, she wouldn’t stop. “Damn it…” she muttered, but then her voice incremented in volume. “Damn it, damn it… damn it!” She stomped her foot down and the impact shocked her knee. Pain, pain, pain. She needed more. She became very aware of her bruised chin and headache, and the pressing pain on her stomach. She pinched those areas, intensifying the sharp injuries. This was reality. “Damn it!”

          Wolf watched her. Chen and Chanyeol tried to go up to her, but Kris stopped them, saying that she need to calm down first. “Going there now won’t help,” Kris said. Although sometimes, Kris joins in on the childish and immature games, when it comes down to serious matters, he was very logical and mature. Luhan may be their official leader, but Kris definitely had some leadership in him. While Luhan observed her intently, Baekhyun couldn’t bear see her suffer anymore. The anger, influx of information, and the painful truth – it must all be so much, too much. She saw a violent gang fight. She saw flashes of their abilities. Baekhyun could hear their conversations well enough. ‘It’s DE’ – every single person alive knew that saying all too well. He didn’t know who Minkyung or something was, but he knew about Claw’s bad temper and how they released it on their Prixes. Jinah smacked her hands against the wall and growled. She grabbed her hair and dug her fingers into her scalp and the side of her head. “Damn it! Screw this, damn it!”

          Baekhyun stepped forward, and Kris stopped him, but Baekhyun faced him boldly and slightly angrily. “She had enough time to ‘calm down’. Now we have to reel her back. She’s hurting herself, can’t you see?!”

          Kris’s grip loosened, and Baekhyun took that as his cue. He went after Jinah before Kris changed his mind. Chanyeol ran over too. Suho made a step, but this time, D.O stopped him. “Two is enough, especially when the two people talk like ten.” Suho opened his mouth to protest, but instead, he nodded.

          “Jinah…” Baekhyun started, and then began fumbling with his lips, not knowing how to comfort her. He had very little experience with girls when it came down to situations like this – serious, honest, and real.

          Chanyeol reached out for her. “Hey –”

          “Don’t touch me,” she hissed, and Chanyeol recoiled from her sharp and unfriendly tone. But then she remembered what Baekhyun told her this morning. “I mean – damn it… that’s not – it came out wrong.”

          Baekhyun expected her to be broken and crying, some tears. But he only saw anger and – guilt? – in her face. He tried repressing his smile. Our Prix sure is strong.

          “Baekhyun, Chanyeol… you heard Liha, right? Who is Claw? Is what Liha said true? About killing their Prix?”

          Baekhyun and Chanyeol shared a look. “Well…” Chanyeol his lips. “Sort of. Kind of. I doubt she’s dead though, they –”

          Jinah’s growl silenced Chanyeol. He was surprised at how it sounded – like a bear. Or wolf. Then they watched her think. “Is –” she stopped. “Do they –” she stopped again. She opened and closed it again. “Um… aish, fat chance, but… do you know where Claw’s base is? Or where they usually are at, or places they frequent?”

          Baekhyun shook his head. “They’re a Basic Gang. Basic Gangs don’t really… interact with Top Gangs. It’s complicated. Just – Jinah, listen to me okay? Listen to me until the end. Minkyung –”

          “Minjung,” Jinah corrected, interrupting him already.

          Baekhyun didn’t mind though. “Right, sorry. Minjung – is probably not dead. The shortest Claw’s Prix lasted was about two years. They kill their Prixes if they rebel or fail to… to satisfy their needs. Or if the Prix is annoying. Is Minjung the type to say ‘no’ often, stick to her words no matter what, or bother others? Burden the people around them and stuff?”

          “Yes. I mean, no. I mean – god, damn…”

          “Jinah, think logically. Like your normal self. You don’t have to think out loud or come down to an answer right away, just think. Claw doesn’t kill their Prix for fun or out of the blue, it’s for a reason. I know it’s hard to think straight when someone important is at stake, but just… think.”

          Jinah sat down on the ground, cross-legged. She propped an elbow up against the wall and pressed her knuckles against her head, the other arm lazily on the ground. She closed her eyes and for once, she submitted. She thought reasonably. Minjung is a smart girl. She wouldn’t just say no just because of her pride… unlike me. Jinah smirked a bit. I’d be dead already if I was Claw’s Prix. It had always been Minjung who was calm and patient. Exactly. Calm and patient. She would do as they say while keeping herself safe and intact. Reasonable. She’s logical. She knows what’s dangerous and when the aura darkens. She reacts well to situations. She’ll be fine. No – she is fine. Come on, be a pragmatist. “Minjung’s fine,” Jinah finally said, her catharsis not quite complete. But what if those ‘needs’ the gang needs is… dirty work? “She’ll figure it out, Jinah said, answering her own question. She’s fine.”

          Chanyeol grinned at her. “That’s Wolf’s great Prix for you.”

          He and Baekhyun stuck their hands out. At first, Jinah thought about ignoring them, but it was high time she started being nice to them. She had nothing against Baekhyun or Chanyeol. Both have been nothing but kind. She should start being nice, too. Hesitantly, Jinah took their hands. She got up with their help and dusted her pants off. She wiped the space between her nose and upper lip, and breathed out, feeling better off already. “Minjung will be fine. She’ll manage. With that aside…” the glint in her eyes changed from torn and crestfallen to sharp and a little bit mad. It made both males flinch. “You guys owe me a very long explanation.” When Chanyeol raised his eyebrows as if in confusion, Jinah rolled her eyes and smacked Chanyeol’s arm, whose hand immediately flew to the area as he yelped. “Don’t play dumb with me,” Jinah snapped. “That was not a normal fight.”

          “Y-Yeah, hella bloody, right?” Baekhyun laughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck. He didn’t meet her eyes. He knew what was coming, but how he dreaded it. Even that fierce expression – would she be sane enough, have enough energy, to make that face again? Hold up. Baekhyun, are you saying you’re going to miss her scary side? Baekhyun wrinkled his nose at that thought.

          “Baekhyun, seriously,” Jinah said in exasperation. She didn’t like beating around the bush as she found it very annoying. “I saw fire and water.”

          Chanyeol gulped and Baekhyun groaned. “You idiot!” Baekhyun exclaimed, slapping the same arm that Jinah had hit. Chanyeol yelped in a similar manner as Baekhyun cried, “You just had to use fire, right?”

          “Hey! That prick, Minhyuk, was using his ability too!” Chanyeol said defensively, his eyes at the brink of bulging out.

          “So? Now you’re out of fuel! We can’t trai – oh, never mind…”

          The rest of the gang walked up to the three. Luhan took the last few steps at a faster pace to check Jinah’s injuries. He tipped her chin up and Jinah winced. Jongup had formed a nice, solid bruise on her neck by slamming her down on the ground earlier. “I thought I saw it…” Luhan murmured, his eyes focused on the purpling, large bruise.

          Jinah blushed and pushed him back. But this time, he didn’t give in like last time, at the Rave. He grabbed her right arm firmly, his other hand grazing over her cheek, where the little cut made by Daehyun was. He kept his feet planted on the ground. This – his actions, his feathery touches – sent a shock that cut through her windpipe and she could no longer breathe. “Next time, try going those sick things without getting hurt, silly…” he muttered. “Still…” he trailed off. Then, Luhan did something that Jinah would have never even dreamed of ever happening. Luhan patted her head, smiling down at her genuinely affectionately with kind, warm eyes. “Good job, Jinah.”

          Jinah could’ve sworn her heart stopped beating.

 

 

-----------------------------------------

 

FINALLY CHAPTER 42 LOOOOOOOOOOL. Anyways, did you guys like what Liha had to say, and that last bit? Idk I was cringing LOOOOL but yeah. I thought ti was necessary since this story is so deprived of fluff which SORT OF IS THE POINT BUT yeah. I had to rewrite this chapter like five times to get it right, especially a few specific scenes ;-; 

OH AND EXO'S COMEBACK IS SOON <3333 ABRUPT BUT SOOON <3333 Although I have a strong sense that SM is going to troll us again..  (¬_¬)

At any rate, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, with its drama and fluff! Also, thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for adapting to the dwelling name changes, my late updates, and understanding me like omfg what did I do to get such supportive readers honestly ;A; makes me want to cry and hug you all. THANKS GUYS <3 <3 <3

 

-deardeerhan