Chapter Sixty-Six

Wolf, the Top Gang

“Can you hear what they’re saying?”

          “No, I’m afraid not.”

          Jinah bit her lip and slammed a fist down on the ground in frustration. “Damn it.” Then, she quickly apologized, covering with her fingers, “Sorry. The gang’s verbal habits rubbed onto me. I’ll be more cautious from now on.”

          “It’s fine! Really,” Aheun replied in return. “Don’t worry about it. Thank you for your concern, though.”

          Jinah had stayed awake, knowing there was an important meeting happening. The gang was way too obvious. It wasn’t really her fault that Aheun woke up though. While Jinah was attempting to eavesdrop, Aheun woke up from Kai’s yelling. Xiumin however, remained deep asleep. Jinah wanted to open up the Headquarters, but she knew that that would only give them away. There was no way the gang wouldn’t notice the sound of the Headquarters opening. So instead, she and Aheun had been bending over the floor, leaning in to listen. The most they got was Kai’s yelling, but even that had been muffled.

          “I wish I had an ability,” Jinah said. “To become invisible or something. That’d be nice.”

          “Y-You want an ability?” Aheun asked quietly. Wanting something, anything among male rights—privacy, security, wealth, status, respect—was taboo, let alone an ability, a gift solely for the best of males.

          “Yeah. It’d be pretty si—I mean, fetch, don’t you think?” Jinah lied down on the ground, even though she knew the floor would dirty her twice-shampooed hair. “Having something supernatural, something that should never have been capable by humans—a phenomenon made possible because of some scientists going mad on a few kids, artificially engineering genetic processes, creating unprecedented combinations and mutations within them, all from unimaginable experiments, observing a whole new world and potential—a brutal, cruel beauty—wow, must be nice to have an official job right?”

          “I don’t know, I think it’d be kind of scary, to be honest,” Aheun said. Suddenly, she froze up and spoke with a pitifully apologetic facial expression, “That just made me sound so dependent, didn’t it?”

          “No,” Jinah disagreed with a small smile. “I guess it is a bit scary, but where’s the fun without a little risk? Unknown? Fear? Fear isn’t bad, but only in regulated amounts, of course. It doesn’t make you dependent. I’m sure the Great Idiot fears something, too.”

          “Great… Idiot?”                                                              

          “Luhan, I mean. He’s one of the biggest idiots I’ve met in my life,” Jinah said with a chuckle. “He’s also one of the most memorable, I’ll have to admit, but he drives me crazy sometimes—and it’s not in the way Chanyeol does with his million teeth and words, or Xiumin the Jackass with his sidekick, Major Dark Circle—oh, oops,” the ends of Jinah’s lips tugged downwards for a second, “sorry. He’s your bro.”

          “It’s okay. Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours.”

          Jinah raised an eyebrow. “You’re not one of those typical copies of Pacem goodies, are you?”

          “You don’t seem to be one of those stuck-up know-it-alls either.”

          Jinah’s eyes widened as she gaped at the picturesque princess of Pacem. “Wow, is that an insult from a Pacem goodie?” Jinah laughed, and Aheun did too. “You know, you’re pretty chill. The gang was talking about how much of an ideal Prix you were and all that.”

          “Did they?” Aheun asked. “Well, I’m pleased they think so, frankly,” she said after a moment, feeling relieved. “I tried really hard to be an ideal Prix.”

          “Really? Because I really didn’t,” Jinah said honestly. “I mean, I worked hard to be a good Callidum, but not so much a Prix. I still don’t get how I became a Top Prix, but I suspect the only reason why they chose me is because I had two immensely fake losers and—” Jinah froze up. Minjung-ah… “And a really good friend that I really, really, really, very, so much miss.” Jinah laughed a little. Why was it so hard talking about her friend? Why did it hurt so much? Minjung is a good memory, so why…?

          Aheun looked down at her knees and contemplated. Jinah was not as bad as the rumors had claimed her to be—no, not at all. She did not match the description her brother gave her. Should I…? Aheun thought. No, she thought to herself firmly. Don’t be so naïve. That’s your weakness. Be aware, on constant vigilance, and don’t trust so easily. Don’t be too optimistic, it’ll only bite you back… Aheun sighed to herself. Oh, Madame Moon, is DE really that terrible?

          “Hey, are you nervous?” Jinah asked Aheun, suddenly forgetting about her problems. Jinah was still on the floor on her back with her hands behind her neck, being as casual as ever.

          Aheun was the exact opposite. She was properly kneeled on the ground with her skirt perfectly covering her legs and the sides of them, her hands placed neatly on top of her thighs. When she looked up with wide eyes that Jinah couldn’t decipher, she took the depth of meaning in Aheun’s orbs as a yes, a sign of anxiety.

           “Hey, don’t worry about it,” Jinah said to Aheun, surprising the black-haired Half-Prix. “I had troubles too. I didn’t trust them at first. In fact, I didn’t like the gang at all, except Lay—I mean, how can you not like Lay, right? I shut myself out for weeks, but it’s useless. It’s downright one of the stupidest things you could do. It took me a long time to figure that out. Some Callidum I am, hey?” Jinah flashed her a reassuring smile. “Just relax. Be honest with the gang and the gang will be honest with you.”

          Aheun blinked twice. Was this stranger trying to help me? Seriously? There were too many reasons to list why this was weird, wrong, and unexpected. Wasn’t Jinah supposed to be Aheun’s enemy relation-wise? Didn’t Xiumin and Tao say loads of bad things about Jinah? Her lovable brother Xiumin and her also lovable second-brother-like Tao, disliked Jinah. Could it be that Jinah actually wasn’t bad? Aheun swallowed her saliva with difficulty.

           “Besides,” Jinah chuckled nostalgically, unaware of what was running through Aheun’s head, “those goofs grow onto you, and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

 

 

That night, before she slept, Jinah thought about Aheun. Now that Jinah had actually met and talked to the girl instead of just hearing things about her, she had a lot to think about. Aheun was still a mystery, but the image was less hazy. Aheun was really pretty, no denying that. She had full double eyelids with almond-shaped eyes, fluttering long lashes, clear and fair skin, a straight and tall nose, small mouth but fairly plump lips, and a small, sharp chin. She had the idea; egg-shaped face and straight, skinny, scarless legs. She was indeed, very pretty. At first glance, Aheun emitted an innocent aura that made you want to protect her, but after the short conversation alone, Jinah read a different aura. Aheun wasn’t a weak princess, but she wasn’t a powerful tower either.

          Jinah wasn’t super fond of Aheun and their relationship was already awkward due to the Prix tie, but for some reason, Jinah wanted to help Aheun. Did Jinah feel like something bad was going to happen to Aheun? Not quite. Jinah didn’t have a premonition. Or perhaps it was. Nonetheless, she felt apprehensive. Did Aheun remind her of someone she knew? Minjung? Not exactly, but Aheun seemed a tad shy and hesitant with her words. Even after getting close, Minjung was like that—cautious of what she said, of what other people thought; careful and aware. Constantly.

          Jinah messed her hair up. What are you thinking? Minjung and Aheun, alike? There’s no way. Feeling a bit frustrated with herself, Jinah turned to the other side and got comfortable. Just about five minutes after she fell asleep, the Headquarters opened and the gang members filed out, returning to their rooms. Sehun quietly twisted the doorknob, closed the door behind him, and dropped onto his bed, extremely worn out.

          The next morning, Jinah woke up late. She could not only feel it, for the exhaustion on her body was lifted for once, but her watch said so. Last night, she had slept at around four or five in the morning, she wasn’t really sure. Right now, her watch eight in the evening. She bolt up at the thought of the gang starving, but when she ran out the door, Aheun was washing the dishes in the kitchen with Lay helping while the rest of the gang were gaming.

          She sighed greatly out of relief.

          “Morning,” Luhan said to her with a grin. He was the first to notice her presence.

          “Well, someone had a deep sleep,” Lay said while drying the dishes. He didn’t sound sarcastic or mean. His tone was lighthearted and harmless. “Are you fully awake? You can sleep some more if you want, Aheun got down all the meals and all that’s left is for those goofs to game. You know, I think all that training finally got to you.”

          “Jinnie, you’re awake!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “I missed you!”

          “Perfect timing! The round just ended. Wanna play?” Kris asked her as the game screen returned to the main menu where you choose your team and guns. “I’m going to get myself a soda.”

          Jinah swallowed her saliva, a bit confused as to why the gang was so casual about this. She slept until evening. “Err—”

          “Don’t worry, just relax. Aheun wanted to help, anyway,” Kris said.

          Jinah and Aheun made eye contact. Jinah felt sorry, but Aheun flashed a reassuring smile that said ‘don’t worry.’

          “If you’re really sorry, you can help Aheun shop for groceries,” Lay said. “We’re running out of cereal, rice, instant noodles, and some side dishes. Oh, your candy basket won’t last very long, either. How does that sound?”

          Jinah nodded, a bit absentminded. She was glad Aheun had helped out. It would be just like Wolf to starve themselves until she woke up. Then again, D.O probably would’ve ordered something or Xiumin would’ve stormed in to complain to her. At any rate, she was glad they didn’t starve. “Thanks,” she said.

          “Ungrateful wench, can’t you even take care of your very few and simple responsibilities?!” Xiumin yelled.

          “Shut up Xiumin, it’s not like you can cook,” Chanyeol snapped at him.

          “Jinah can’t fight as well as Xiumin,” Tao said in Xiumin’s defense. “Xiumin fights to his fullest abilities when there’s a challenge. Jinah doesn’t cook or even do all the duties of a proper Prix. I’m pretty sure the gang can acknowledge that.”

          “Wow, don’t you talk a lot, Panda Bear,” Jinah mocked, which made Suho choke on air. She walked over to the couch to replace Kris. “If you want to file a release for me, go ahead, but remember that you need all twelve signatures for it to be approved.”

          Xiumin scoffed. “Who said?”

          “Under the Gang-Prix Act, Section C, Paragraph Sixteen: To release a Prix officially and legally, all twelve signatures of the active gang members must be present on the release form for the release to be considered valid. An explanation is also expected to be attached to the application. Note that once released, the Gang has no right over the Prix unless won or bought back.” Jinah chose her gun and confirmed that choice. “Or so, said the government. Of course, I don’t expect you to like me, but I don’t mind it at all.”

          Xiumin rolled his eyes. “This is exactly what’s wrong!”

          “Go to bed, Xiumin,” Jinah said coolly as the game loaded. “I think it’s your bedtime considering your childish tantrums.”

          “Ooh, Chomper!” Suho exclaimed.

          Xiumin muttered a vulgar word before storming into his room and slamming the door shut.

          “Uh,” Chanyeol dragged the word out slightly, pointing at Xiumin’s closed door but facing the members, “is it just me, or did he back down quicker than usual?”

          “Is it just me, or is Jinah killing you right now?” Suho snickered.

          “Jinah, that’s foulplay!”

          “Anything goes in a game, right?” Jinah quoted Chanyeol from a few months ago, the one time when she had to rush to the bathroom because her uterus was having a tantrum in the middle of a game, and Chanyeol blew her up.

          Chanyeol fought back, but realized it was futile to have an endurance one-on-one, seeing that they started this with she having the upperhand. He cursed as he retreated far. The game was picking up its intensity as Kai shot down Suho, who had been chasing Sehun.

          Meanwhile, Lay noticed Luhan frowning. “Something wrong?”

          Luhan’s face reverted to its usual, casual-seeming, blank-but-devious facial expression with a hint of a playfulness. “Not at all.”

          Lay knew that that was absolutely not true, but he knew better than to push it. “Suho mentioned an interview with Nation News coming up. Two weeks, maybe? Suho’s negotiating, acting like we don’t want to do this since, of course, Nation News is dying to hear about our second Prix.” Lay popped open a peach soda for Luhan. “At the rate he’s negotiating, we’ll triple the amount we’ll need for regular bills and some phones and whatnot.”

          Luhan took a sip, leaning against the counter. “Is that so.”

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------

 

A/N:

As I mentioned earlier, I am so sorry for neglecting this ff for nearly ten months! I am blown away by everyone's incredible, consistent support and love for not just this story, but me also. I genuinely appreciate every single comment and view!

I reread some stuff and WOW I was (and still am) such an amateur writer.. but to see so many people enjoying the content and appreciating the essence of the story is very touching. Thank you so much ❤❤❤

I said this earlier too, but no matter how irregular the updates are, I swear I will finish this ff someday. LOL it might take awhile but I promise you that!

Also, apparently I was featured but idk what I was featured for or where I was featured on???? Could someone explain this to me? LOL

 

-deardeerhan