Chapter Forty-Eight

Wolf, the Top Gang

          Jinah turned left instead of right when she was at the bottom. Her eyes first saw the laptop which was next to the big screen and wide keyboard (the supercomputer). She opened the laptop up and clicked the big button in the center as the screen came to life. It asked for a password, and Jinah was lost then. But then next to the screen, on the rim, was a sticky note. It read: WOLF7GEN. Jinah tried that, and much to her luck, it was correct. Just then, she could’ve sworn she heard a little gadget moving, so she snapped around and frantically glanced around, searching for security cameras. There were two obvious ones in the corners of the ceilings, but that would’ve only shown the aisle. Not her. They weren’t the ones that moved. If they were the ones that moved, it would be facing her. Instead, they were still and focused on the blue-lit aisle. She narrowed her eyes in suspicion. Maybe I’m just paranoid, Jinah thought. Perhaps she was just nervous, since she had never done any clandestine or surreptitious actions, except for a few times at the dwelling. Nothing too big of course, just shoving sugar down when she was craving or sneaking a book in for one night. But this… she didn’t know if it was right, if it was okay – using the computer in secret, that is. Well, it’s not wrong, she assured herself. I’m a gang member, too.

          She clicked the main browser and the home page was a search engine, the URL was: www.localsearch.co.kr/seoul. Local? Well then. She typed up “library”. The results were a map that left from the base to the library, which was near the markets, but not in it. It was a walking distance – ten minutes, it said. Beside it was a summary of the library. Unknowingly, a smirk crept onto Jinah’s face. Bingo.

Jinah, of course, tried searching up “abilities” in the search engine, but apparently “abilities” wasn’t a local thing, so it didn’t work. However, the site told the weather, and it read mild. Especially because it was night – almost one in the morning, actually – so Jinah wore long pants and her team jacket over her shirt. Jinah smiled subconsciously. Wearing this jacket made her feel warm on the outside and inside. It kept her physically warm and protected her from the cold, but it also warmed her heart, knowing that she was part of something. She wasn’t too fond of the gang, but she didn’t hate them, and as the days passed, they were treating her in a civilized way and she came to realize that she was living in much better conditions than other girls. How could she have been so blind? She was lucky, very lucky. But are you happy? The irksome voice that complicated things, asked. Jinah didn’t answer that. She would answer that later.

          Jinah crept into her room and snatched her notebook and pencil case. She would be taking notes. Her combat boots were by the entrance, so she could leave quickly. She wouldn’t be needing keys since she wasn’t driving. She was walking, and she remembered the map perfectly. She could navigate her way through. Jinah always had a knack for finding her way through maps. Jinah took a quiet breath as she took one step forward, and –

          “You’re going to need money.”

          – spun around instantly. Her eyes were wide with panic (and maybe even a tinge of fear), but was only met with a simpering Luhan.

          “I knew you were up to something. Going to the library, are you?”

          “How’d you –”

          “The laptop you used. The password’s a trap. The laptop accepts two – the first will give you access to every single file and thing it has. The second, one the one you used – has zero public files, only one usable website, and is monitored. I’m surprised you didn’t find the small camera, even if you noticed its presence. You discerned every single one in the replica base when you first came.”

          So that was the gadget. But Jinah frowned. “That still doesn’t explain how –”

          “Come on, isn’t it obvious? You were constantly bringing up abilities. Second, I know you’re a curious person, but you sort of pushed the rest of us to go to sleep. Third,” Luhan took out a small CD case from his jacket pocket, “I can see what you were searching for. This is the video clip.”

          Jinah blinked several times. “So you were watching me this whole time?! What?! But –”

          “Yes. I mean, no. Well, not really. I heard you slip on the stairs.”

          Jinah blushed.

          “But I didn’t get up then. I like my sleep, you know. When you entered the password, it alerted the computer in my room. You know, being a Top Gang with a wide open door, you kind of have your risks, so you need things to counter that. Not that anyone dares to challenge us, but it could’ve been a Basic rookie member, one that doesn’t know its place. Petty thieves. Shameless brats. But when I checked, it was you.” I wasn’t weighing the chances of you being kidnapped by Fang or Cougar or Thorn or another hundred possibilities, Luhan thought. Nope. Not at all.

          Jinah nodded, understanding everything he said. “Okay, great. Can you… uh,” Jinah rubbed the back of her neck. “Give me a few bills, maybe? There’re a few books I want to check out or whatever.”

          “It’s one in the morning, Jinah. You can go tomorrow.”

          Jinah’s shoulders dropped in disappointment, and her eyes emptied. The sight of her disappointment made Luhan grin a bit. She was cute. He knew that as much as Jinah wanted to go, she would never resort to begging because that would go against her pride. So instead, Luhan decided to have a little fun, poking at her boundary line, by saying, “But I’ll go with you if you show me some aegyo.”

          Her face contorted in horror and disgust immediately, as she snorted. “Forget it!” Jinah began to stomp away but Luhan swiftly took her wrist just before she was out of his reach.

          He smiled at her bemused face. “I’m kidding. I’m curious to see how you would react to the information. I’ve never tried researching abilities, so it might be a fun idea.”

          That was a lie. Luhan had tried researching and finding information to become stronger, to strengthen his ability, or gain another one. He hit rock bottom. Nothing. He could only train, train, and train, and hope that it was worth it. Luhan knew that. To this day, he feels pathetic, being uncertain of what his hard work would result. He also knew that letting your Prix learn about abilities wasn’t a smart idea. Somewhere, at the back of his mind, was a recollection, a memory that he tried blacking out, but still existed. He wanted to compare Jinah to her – to Haneul.

         Jinah, on the other hand, was in a bit of an enigmatic state, bewildered. Luhan was inscrutable. He had about twenty different personalities and he didn’t stick to one. He seemed very cold and distant himself from others, but he’d display affection to her spontaneously. He had glib responses and a snide smile, but then he’d occasionally flash her his lopsided boy smile, or his serious and passive face. He was so different from the loquacious Chanyeol who had a cheesy grin, or the devious smirking, flirtatious but forward Kai. Everyone had a certain type of personality, but Luhan didn’t. It was peculiar, annoying, troublesome, vexing, and strange, so strange – but intriguing.

         “So… I’m going?” Jinah asked hopefully. She was dying to hit the library.

         “No,” Luhan answered, making Jinah confused all over again. Didn’t he just say that she could go? But then Luhan corrected her sentence, “We’re going.” He raised his wallet. “You think I’d let you use my money blindly? No way.” He pocketed his wallet again and gracefully put his sneakers on. He had his team jacket on too, Jinah noticed. Like a couple. Wait – no – not like a couple – nope, Jinah thought rashly in her mind. Luhan took a gander at her after he put his sneakers on. He grinned at her.

          “Ready?”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Who's Haneul??? idk man who is she~ huehue I'm not answering any of y'all about that ok you'll find out soon~ >:) Your guys' predictions are so cute heheh & yes, females cannot get abilities. just confirming it for some of youu

Jinah and Luhan are going on a date!!~ I told you that JinHan moments could come in time~ well nothing really happens but!! heh he does something that JInah would've been happy about if she was there 

hehe anyways the next chapter is like almost 3000 words. +we're actually almost at half! LOOL

 

 

-deardeerhan