Chapter Fourteen

Wolf, the Top Gang

Back at the base, after the two left, Suho punched Xiumin’s arm. “What’s your problem?” he snapped harshly.
          Xiumin didn’t understand why they were all so obsessed with and protective of Jinah. Perhaps they weren’t actually obsessed and he was exaggerating, but still, they were all taking her side…most of them anyway. “You just want to get laid,” Xiumin snorted. “And she’s not even hot.”
          Suho picked Xiumin up by the collar. “What did you just say?”
          Xiumin stood up and pushed Suho back from his shoulders. “I said that you’re a little and that’s she’s ugly as –”
          Suho shoved him hard. “Bastard!”
          “Yo, chill, chill!” Chanyeol said, getting up and breaking the two apart. “Chill guys. Xiumin, stop being so offensive. Suho, you’re our representative. Act like one.”
          Xiumin glared at Suho and the rest of the gang. Then he stormed inside his room. Tao sighed as he quietly followed Xiumin, catching the door before it slammed shut, and then closed it quietly. Lay just shook his head. “Two years of being together and still you guys fight. Goodness.”
          “Did we really make a good decision?” D.O asked carefully.
          Suho shot him daggers. “What, are you gonna go all Xiumin on me now?”
          D.O shook his head. “You guys have been bickering about the girl ever since the ceremony started, and it’s not just you two. Baekhyun and Chanyeol included.”
          Suho rolled his eyes as he went to his own room. D.O looked at Lay with raised eyebrows, as if re-asking his earlier question, and got a shrug from Lay. “I like her. And it seems like it’s a popular opinion among us, is it not?”
          No one spoke against that. In his room, Xiumin was venting out to Tao, who thoughtfully nodded and listened to his friend. Tao felt uncomfortable though, and it wasn’t because of Xiumin’s rant. As much as he thought Jinah was fit to be Wolf’s Prix, he didn’t like how she was causing so much trouble and complications. If they had chosen Aheun, maybe there wouldn’t have been so much conflict. Then again, since the gang had seen Jinah already, they may be especially reluctant to accept Aheun in, especially Luhan. That jerk, Tao thought bitterly, but then shook the thought away. What did Jinah have that Aheun didn’t? Sure, Jinah had spunk but she had an emotional wall in front of her and it didn’t seem like it was going to come down anytime soon. Aheun was more open and innocent, not to mention obedient.
          Baekhyun parked the car in one of the parking slots and took the keys out as the engine died. The two then walked towards the bright, busy market. It was evening – Jinah’s watch read nine – but the market was very bright and boisterous. He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at her, “Where to?”
          She pursed her lips in thought. “I have no idea where to start…um, let’s get the ones that aren’t really affected by temperature and time. Like proper cutlery, new dishes, cups, pots, pans, yeah. Um…yeah. Then we’ll get the cleaning materials, towels, sprays, detergent, and sponge. You guys have proper toothbrushes and toothpaste, right?”
          Baekhyun nodded. But by his silent answer, it made Jinah feel uneasy. She knew Baekhyun was very talkative. “We’ll buy a new package anyway. Hm…I’d like a comb, but we can worry about that later. For now, let’s get the necessities.” Jinah took a deep breath and nodded to herself. “Okay. Eating materials first.”
          The two weaved their way through the market. They bought two sets of chopsticks – one glazed and wooden, the other thin and metallic – and a package with twenty silver forks and spoons, reusable. They even got three butter knives, a spatula, a whisk, a sandwich spreader, and a kitchen knife. Then they entered another market to buy a new set of polished dishes and cups that were matching in design, porcelain. They also bought soup bowls, smaller plates, and mixing bowls. Jinah was carrying all the cutlery and utensils while Baekhyun took the fragile set of plates and cups. Ignoring all the complaints from him, she bought three pots, one large and two medium, and two pans. Carrying those and their arms full, they went back to the car to leave the stuff there.
          Jinah dusted her hands and sighed. “Second round?”
          Baekhyun nodded as the two went back to the shop for cleaning materials. There, they quickly purchased tea towels, a new antibacterial spray, dish soap, detergent, sponge, toothbrushes, toothpastes, and Baekhyun even let her buy a hairbrush and essence oil for her hair. They also ended up buying shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and a new sponge to wash your body with in the shower. They put all of that back in the car and headed into the shop that sold rice stuffs, a third round. Baekhyun, who was tired already, insisted on eating takeout, but Jinah shook her head, determined to establish a new lifestyle with this gang. Baekhyun, carrying the bulky and heavy rice bag, remained quiet. Jinah quickly bought a rice cooker, a kettle, and two small trays – they lived as thirteen people. You couldn’t take thirteen bowls by hand very productively. A tray was bound to help.
          As they got back to the car to drop the bought materials, they didn’t talk much. It was kind of him to come with her – there was no way she could have carried all of this by herself. Her indecisiveness would also have taken a long time. She didn’t know how to thank him – just bluntly saying it would be too awkward for her. She wasn’t used to receiving help, therefore, saying thanks wasn’t a common thing for her. But after leaving the load there, just to break the ice and indirectly and minimally repay Baekhyun for his friendliness, Jinah said, “Well, isn’t someone popular.” 
          Baekhyun locked the car and looked at her from the opposite side of the car. “Huh?”
         Jinah jerked her thumb towards a dessert shop that was near their parking space, where a few girls were goggling at Baekhyun. Baekhyun understood what she was saying, and a smirk crept onto his face. “You’re the one to talk.”
          Jinah raised an eyebrow at him.
          “Don’t even try to tell me you didn’t notice. I saw you glare at a few boys who were trying to approach you,” Baekhyun said. Jinah raised her eyebrows, as if doubting him, and he just grinned. “Well, I guess it couldn’t be helped. Not only are you a looker, but you’re with a Wolf…ah, only if you smiled and talked more –”
          “Last round,” Jinah stated, cutting him off. The mood to joke around had dissipated. What Baekhyun said reminded her of the dreads, the reason why she didn’t feel giddy. How was Minjung? She seemed happy the last time they talked. What would happen to Miss Kim, now that her candidate was gone? And everyone else? Tiff, Seohyun, Miyu, Liha? She knew nothing. She even wondered where Jaein and Yooni were…did they get chosen? Moreover, it was Wolf that was her home now. It would be them who shapes her future. How would they mold it?
          Noticing the change in atmosphere, Baekhyun’s grin fell. He nodded in silence, but he didn’t understand – what had he said wrong?
          The shop for a few miscellaneous edible items was silent. Once in awhile, Baekhyun asked for the quantity and had her check the quality and her answer was no more than five words. They checked the items out as the amount of plastic bags increased by the minute. Baekhyun was wondering what he said wrong, what made her close up again. Jinah was thinking hard about everything that happened or could be happening at her dwelling, and everyone that used to be there.
          Back at the base, it was loud. Xiumin and D.O had fallen asleep on the couch despite the noise. They were used to it after all. The rest were playing a video game while listening to loud, ear-busting, hardcore dubstep music in the living room. It was twelve in the morning but lively for the most.
          The gang burst out laughing at the stricken-faced Chanyeol, who lost for the sixth time in a row. “Damn, you !” Suho choked out in midst of his laughter.
          The game was split into teams and adjusted so that any number could play. Because there were nine people and competitive, they split into three groups, three in each. Chanyeol’s two other partners, Kris and Lay, had different reactions to Chanyeol’s loss. Lay shook his head in utter dismay, but was laughing. Kris smacked the back of Chanyeol’s head, who yelled and made an excuse. Chen cracked a smile while his two members, Suho and Tao laughed. Even if Sehun was emotionless, Kai and Luhan laughed along with the others. These were the times Kai actually showed signs of authentic happiness and when Sehun had an urge to smile. In fact, he let the ends of his lips tug up the slightest bit. These were the times where it felt like they were elsewhere, or in the Modern times – just anywhere but here. Anywhere but DE.
          Baekhyun and Jinah dropped their bags in the car and went inside it, their shopping now complete. She put on her seatbelt but Baekhyun stared forward, through the glass. Jinah waited but all he did was stare silently. He didn’t turn the engine on or put on his belt. She opened to say his name but then he cut her off, his gaze on her arm instead of her face, “One more round. Let’s eat a bit before we go back,” he said, and it was the longest thing either one of them had spoken since they had gotten the rice pack and cooker and kettle. He looked at her in the eye now. “Can we?”
          Jinah frowned and tried to tell him that the food was going to go bad, but he insisted. “No, the food won’t rot. I don’t know much about water and vegetables and instant noodles, but they won’t be spoiled that quickly. It’s not even that hot or cold. Let’s eat dukbokki – on me. Or cake. Anything.”
          Jinah cocked an eyebrow. He didn’t say anything after that. His eyes darted across her face, searching for some emotion to know whether or not they were going. Then she sighed, which made Baekhyun brighten up, because it was not a sigh of annoyance but one of relinquishment. Dukbokki was especially tempting…and she was hungry. “Fine.”
          Baekhyun grinned like his usual self. “Well? Come on!” he got out of his car as quick as light and she at a more leisure pace. When he motioned her urgently with his hands, she couldn’t help but smile. Baekhyun brightened even more at that. Together, they headed for a late-night stand, where they sold just-cooked and mouth-watering spicy rice cake – dukbokki. Jinah loved dukbokki ever since she could discern the difference between sweet and sour.
          The lady was a bright and jolly woman. “Hello, darlings! What can I get for you today?”
          “A pack of dukbokki please,” Baekhyun ordered. “Lots of fishcake, ajhumma!”
          She smiled. “Right away!” She scooped up rice cakes and fishcakes, all deeply covered in spicy, thick red paste. Saliva accumulated in Jinah’s mouth as the hot and spicy scent wafted around her. She handed him the pack and he handed her a bill. “Thank you!” she said, “Have a good evening!”
          Baekhyun waved behind him and Jinah bowed politely as her. They climbed back into the car, feeding on the dukbokki. The ride back had more words than they had used in the past hour. It left both of them feeling a lot better and lighter.

 

-----------------------------------------

"As quick as light" did you guys catch that? XD /hinthint what's Baekhyun's "superpower" hahahahaha

AND "GROWL" - REPACKAGED ALBUM - EXO

GUYS OMFG SEHUN'S EYELINERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! OMGOMGOMG. they all look so good I can't wait and Kai got rid of his braids (he's probably the only Asian that can pull it off..) AND LULU'S PINK HAIR and Chen outgrew his hair AND BAEK'S SO CUTE and D.O and Suho looks so serious AND CHANYEOL YOU GOOF YOU'RE ADORABLE OMFG AND XIUMIN I'M EXPECTING MORE PARTS FROM HIM OK LIKE A PERSONT HAT CAN REACH 4 OCTAVES NEEDS MORE PARTS he's honestly so underrated :( I kinda feel bad for antagonizing him.. > < /sighs and Tao's like blonde-gray hair is better than red I think heh. Ofc ofc Lay and Koala looks great too~ /expecting lots/

& @hae4eva: I hope you liked the Baekhyun/Jinah moment ;D

 

Can you check out my One-Shot Collection? (Of EXO) Click here ^^

 

and guys wow it's only been four chapters since my last status-check-up but the subscribers/views increased lots! :o hehe thank you~ AND TO THE UPVOTES OMFG TY and ofc, your lovely comments<33 I relish them so much :')

 

 

-Seohee