DAY 21

Untitled

Dear Jung Ae,

First of all, sorry for all the mess I’ve done. Sorry for involving you in my problems. I really want to know you better and to be close to you but I didn’t expect this will happen. At least we ended it early. Now, your problem is gone. Aren’t you happy? You finally got rid of me.

Thank you for helping me with those girls, especially Taeyeon. But I’m not so sure if she will stop annoying you. Just call me if she did something. You can also call me without a reason. I’ll always answer your calls because I want to hear your voice. Remember, I’ll wait.

Again, mianhae. Sorry for not telling you my goodbye personally. I just don’t want you to see my weak side. By the way, we still have two weeks. And before it ends, I’ll try to forget you.

Thanks for the memories!

Jungsoo.

 

That was the letter that Yunho, Jungsoo’s friend, gave me this morning. Obviously, it’s from Jungsoo. Yes, we still have two weeks. But is he serious that he will try to forget me?

“Are you okay?” That’s Soo Young.

I turned to look at her. “Oh, hi.”

“You’re thinking deeply that you didn’t even notice me. I’m standing here for minutes but you seemed distracted.”

Yes, I am distracted. “Mianhae.”

She sat beside me and saw what I’m holding. “What’s that?”

I looked at the letter. “A goodbye letter.”

She snatched it from me and read it. “I guess I’m right. He didn’t invite you there.”

What is she saying? “Huh?”

She returned the paper to me. “He told everyone to go to the gym after dismissal. He said goodbye there and made almost the entire batch cry. I was looking for you but you weren’t there yesterday.”

“You mean you all saw him before he left?”

She nodded. “Ne. We also saw him being fetched by his dad.”

That’s unfair. “He’s really unfair. Why didn’t he call me and ask me to go there?”

“It’s written in the letter. He doesn’t want you to see his weak side. He doesn’t want you to see he’s hurt.”

I looked down. I can feel my face burning. “That’s still unfair! I really wanted to see him and convince him to stay. But he didn’t even text me. That’s not fair!”

“As expected, you’re hurt that he left you.”

I shook my head. “No! I’m not hurt, okay? W-Why would i?”

“Because you’re starting to love him. But now he’s gone and is trying to forget you.”

I stood up. “Go now. You’re going to be late.”

“Yah! Aren’t you going to class?”

“I’m not in the mood to attend classes.”

“No,” then she stood up. “You’re going with me. Change clothes now.”

“I don't want!”

“Yah!”

“Wae?!”

“Go now or else.”

“Or else what?”

“I’ll call Kyuhyun to come here and drag you.”

Aish! “... Fine,” then I went inside my room to change.

Everything’s different now. The cafeteria, which is usually crowded and noisy, is now quiet. It changed because of Jungsoo? Tch. That’s impossible.

“This is strange, isn’t it?” Eunhyuk said.

“Ne. Leeteuk. He really influenced all of us. He made us annoyed, angry, jealous. And now that he’s gone, everything isn’t normal anymore,” Donghae said.

“Jung Ae-sshi.”

I looked at him. “Ne?”

“Can you call him?”

“W-Why would I do that?”

“Don’t you miss him?”

Miss him? “... I don't know.”

“He’s right. Call him now. I’m sure he wants to hear your voice,” Soo Young said.

Should I call him? What if he doesn’t answer? What if he does? What will I say?

“Yah!” We all turned around. As usual, it’s Taeyeon.

I stood up. “Waeyo?”

She slapped me. I knew it. “It’s all your fault! He left because of you! And because of you, he’s not going to return! Now tell me. What will you do now?!”

What will I do now? “... I don't know.”

“You should do something!” then she started to cry. “Please, do something. I won’t annoy you anymore if he returned. So please… do something.”

She’s begging me? Is this for real? “Mianhae. I don’t know-”

“I know you love him and you’re also hurt like me. I know you want him to return. Just give him a call and convince him.”

“This is the first time that I'll agree to her,” Soo Young said.

“Me, too,” Eunhyuk seconded.

“If you really love him, call him now,” Kyuhyun said.

They’re all asking me to do it. What can I do? So I nodded and picked up my phone. I dialed his number and waited for him to answer. Fortunately, he did.

“I didn’t expect you to call,” Jungsoo answered.

My heart started to beat fast. “H-Hi. H-How are y-you?”

I heard him chuckled. “You’re stammering. That was cute.”

Aish. “Shut up.”

“Sorry. What’s up?”

I looked at my friends. “They all wanted me to call you and to tell you something.”

“Go ahead.”

I took a deep breath. “Please… come back.”

Few seconds passed before he answered. “Mianhae, but I can’t.”

He can’t? “Wae?”

“I promised you that you won’t see me again. I can’t break that one.”

“Forget it. We want you to return now so please-”

“I still have something to do. Thanks for the call. Bye.”

“Wait! I have-” then the line died. I put my phone down. I failed.

“What did he said?” Donghae asked.

I looked down. “Mianhae.”

Silence filled the cafeteria. Aish! Taeyeon’s right, this is my fault.

“You can always try next time,” Kyuhyun said.

“He’s right. There’s still tomorrow. You can contact him anytime so don’t worry,” Eunhyuk assured me.

Aniyo. I only have two weeks. “Okay,” I answered.

We all stayed there until the bell rang.