DAY 20

Untitled

You’ve been waiting for this day, Jung Ae. You should be happy now. Be happy, okay?

“What’s happening outside?” Donghae asked as he sits beside us.

“I don't know. But I saw Leeteuk went inside the principal’s office,” Eunhyuk answered.

He’s really leaving. “Principal’s office? What is he going to do there?”

“There are only two reasons. First is because he failed a subject and the principal wanted to talk to him. Second is that he got bored and ask the principal to transfer him to another school.”

“He’s leaving?”

He shrugged. “Not sure.”

“What happened?” Soo Young whispered to me.

Be quiet Jung Ae. “I don't know. He said nothing to me yesterday.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course.”

“You’re hiding something from us,” Kyuhyun said.

I looked at him. Uh-oh. He really knows me well. “W-What will I hide?”

“You know why he went there. Tell us.”

“I’ve already told you. I don’t know.”

“Jung Ae.”

I looked down. I shouldn’t tell this but I also have to. “… He’s leaving now.”

“WHAT?!” Soo Young exclaimed. Good thing we’re the only people inside the room.

“He’s leaving the campus… and maybe Korea.”

“But wae? Did you guys fight yesterday?” Eunhyuk asked.

“It wasn’t a big fight but yes.”

“What happened?” Donghae asked.

Yes, I should tell this now. “This is just a joke.”

He looked confused. “What?”

“A joke. I’m just pretending to be his girlfriend for him to get rid of those girls, especially Taeyeon. But,” I paused. “But I asked him to leave me alone and that’s what he’s doing now.”

“But why is he leaving so sudden?” Soo Young asked.

“He likes you, right?” Kyuhyun said.

I slowly looked at him and nodded. “Ne.”

“And you like him, too?”

“No. That’s not going to happen.”

“Tell me. What will you feel if he’s already gone?” Soo Young asked.

“Yah! Why are you asking me those questions? I’m not the one who should explain this.”

“Are you happy?”

I looked down again. “I don't know.” That’s the truth.

Silence. We we’re all silent after I answered. Happy? I should be but I don't feel that way.

“Stop him,” Kyuhyun said.

Stop him? Why? “W-What?” I asked.

“That’s what you should do.”

I shook my head. “No. I won’t do that.”

“Jung Ae, you don’t want this to happen. We can see that you’re hurt so convice him to stay,” Donghae said.

“You like him, Jung Ae. Don’t even try to deny it,” Eunhyuk said.

“They’re right. You should do something about this before it’s too late. Move now,” Soo Young added.

Aish! These guys. “Fine, I'll do that. But not now. I’ll talk to him later at the dorm,” then I stood up. “I’ll just go to my locker.” And I left.

I immediately ran as soon as I went out of the room. I ran as fast as I can towards the principal’s office. They’re right, I should move now. I’ll admit, I don’t want him to leave. But it’s not that I feel something for him. My conscience is just eating me up. That’s just it.

I stopped in front of the office. I took two deep breaths and told myself to relax. I was about to reach for the knob when the door opened. My heart stopped beating for a moment.

“Why are you here?” Jungsoo asked. Good thing I came right on time.

I sighed. “I thought you already left.”

He looked hurt. “I know you’re happy that I’m leaving. That’s why I talked to the principal this early. And good news, he accepted the letter I gave him. You can now live your life as you want it to be.”

I need to stop him now. “Forget about that.”

“What?”

“I’ve changed my mind. I won’t ask you to leave now. So please,... stay.”

Few seconds have passed. He shook his head. “No.”

No? “What?”

“Mianhae. I’ve realized that I’m being a big burden to you. Of course I don’t want you to suffer just because of me. So I think it’s better if I’ll leave. That’s what you want, right?”

I shook my head. “No. I don’t want you leave so please, just stay here.”

He just smiled. “Mianhae,” then he left.

After the teacher dismissed us, I went to the dorm to talk to Jungsoo. I need to convince him. I entered my room and dropped my things on the couch. Then I knocked at his door. No response.

“Jungsoo! Open the door. I want to tell you something.” Still, no response. “Aish. Fine. You don’t have to go out from there. I’ll just tell you this now. Mianhae. Sorry if I asked you to leave. But seriously, I don’t want you to do that. My friends helped me realize that I was wrong. Again, sorry.” He’s not responding. It’s pissing me off. “Yah!” then I turned the knob and opened the door.

What? He’s not in there? I went inside to check his closet. Empty. He already left. I sat on his bed. Why? Why does it hurt so badly?