Friends?

Hard to Admit

 

I woke up and glanced at the clock on the bedroom wall. The clock struck 3AM. Grandpa was still asleep, his blanket covering only his legs.

I got up and put the blankets over his body, covering his whole body. After tucking him comfortably, I crept outside and peeped in the guest room.

 

Yunho was fast asleep.

 

I was still trying to figure out why I offered him to stay here. Grandpa must’ve been shocked. I’ve never invited anyone here before, since it’s such a special place. Memories of me and grandpa were all in this house.

Yunho…he wasn’t anyone special was he?

 

Nooooo…

 

Hope that Grandpa wouldn’t think otherwise. Just because he’s the first friend from school I invited here, doesn’t mean he’s anyone special. Well, appa and omma never came here, except well, to just pick me up. Grandpa invited them to come in but they’d always reject.

I’d come here every school vacation, because my parents never really took the whole family out for family time. Appa would be busy with his business with I have no idea, and Omma with teaching kindergarten children. I’ve never seen my parents happy with each other as if they were in love, but I always got the feeling they would pretend they were happy when I was around.

 

Why didn’t I think about the possibilities that my father were going to leave us?

 

I shook my head. Forget about all that, Yuri. You have Grandpa now.

 

I headed to the kitchen to make myself hot chocolate milk. I needed to sleep so drinking hot chocolate might do the trick. I brought my hot chocolate outside, sitting on the swing that stood in the front porch of the house. I could feel the cold breeze brush softly on my cheek and it gave me the chills a little.

As I was drinking, memories of my mother flashed in my head. My mother would always check up on me every 3AM to see if I was sleeping or not. I usually couldn’t sleep at night. Sometimes I would sleep early then wake up a little too early. My mom would offer me hot chocolate and we would always drink together while she told me bedtime stories and then I would usually fall asleep on her lap. She as a kindergarten teacher, of course she had a lot of stories in her head. I began singing quietly, my mother’s pure face kept smiling at me in the dark.

Tears slowly formed in my eyes, just waiting to drop. Then I began sniffing and tears started rolling down my cheeks.

 

Omma, I miss you, why did you have to leave me so soon? Why?

 

I turned my body and put my mug on the table beside the swing I was sitting on when I saw a boy against the door. He looked like he was sleeping, but then after a few seconds, he opened his eyes and looked straight into mine. My eyes widened.

 

Jung Yunho, what are you doing there?

 

                                                                 ************

 

Yunho and Yuri froze as both stared into each other’s eyes. After a few seconds, Yuri was the first one to snap out of it. She quickly rubbed her eyes and wiped the tears that were flowing with her sleeves. Yunhoeventually snapped out of it after seeing Yuri’s actions.

 

“Why are you out here?”Yunho asked

 

Yuri turned away from him and sipped her hot chocolate again. Her intention was simple. She just wanted to ignore him. And a small part of her was embarrassed as this would mark the third time this Yunho boy heard her cry.

 

“Yah! I’m talking to you!” He snapped ignoring the fact that he might wake her grandpa up.

“YAH!” Yuri snapped back at him. “Don’t make a fuss here, just go away!”

 

Yunho froze. Her anger scared him. Her eyes…

 

Red.Fierce.And teary…

 

Something’s wrong…

 

Yuri wiped her tears again and grunted. Yunho walked up to her and pulled out something from his pocket.

“Here.” He handed a tissue from his pocket to Yuri. “Accept it.”

Yuri who had her head down looked up to him. Yunho stared at her eyes sparkling from the tears. Yuri immediately snatched the tissue to wipe her nose.

Without even asking, Yunho sat down on the swing next to her. “Why aren’t you asleep?”

“Why should I tell you?” Yuri snapped. She was getting a headache from crying too much.

“Hey, I was only asking. Not that I really wanted to know.” Yunho realized that the girl was somehow in pain. Upset. He should be more careful.

Yuri became quiet. She continued staring at the dark night sky.

“I don’t want to force you, but it’ll make you feel better if you tell someone about it.” Yunho said ignoring the fact that his advice just now was partly meant for himself. He knew he should open up a little bit to other people to make him feel better but there was just no one he could really trust to make him feel better.

So why bother tell anyone if there was no one that wanted to listen to him anyway?

So does that mean I’m trying to make her feel better? Why though? Yunho thought.

 

Yuri turned her head face him. She was trying to find the sincerity in his words. Looking at those eyes, she felt he was sincere.

“My mother.”

“Eh?” Yunho was surprised she actually wanted to speak. He thought she might’ve been stubborn.

 

“I miss her. That’s all.”

 

Yunho became quiet. He thought of his mother. Nightmares and memories flashed in his head. He quickly wiped at the thought. “No wonder you were singing, about your mother.”

“You heard that?”

Yunho nodded.

“And you’re not laughing?”

“Why would I laugh?”

“Because my voice .”

“So you think it but you’re still singing?” He tried joking but earned a slap on his lap from Yuri. “I was joking. I wouldn’t say it was awesome, but it’s not that bad.”

Yuri’s lips curved a small smile. “Thanks anyway.”

Yunho shrugged. “Well, you’re gonna need to practice if you want to be as good as me.” He said purposely, trying to erase the peculiar feeling that crept in him after seeing Yuri smile.

Yuri scoffed. “Please, I’m not aiming to be a singer anyways.”

But her voice was nice, Yunho thought.

“Then what are you aiming for?”

 

“Dunno.”

 

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

 

“It doesn’t mean anything.”

Yunho scoffed. He was a little irritated with her attitude. “Whatever.”

For a few minutes the just sat there in silence while staring at the dark night sky. It was pitch black and there were no signs of stars anywhere which was quite rare because usually the night sky was scattered with a gazillion stars. They were drowned in their own thoughts until Yuri decided to speak up.

“Are you really like what they say?” Yuri asked. She hesitated a bit but she was curious. It kinda seems untrue.

“Like what?”

Yuri took a deep breath then began. “Everybody’s been gossiping that you’re …” she paused then whispered “…gay.”

Yunho automatically stood up. “What??”

“You heard me.”

What the fish? Yunho’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped. Where did that come from?

“W-where did you hear that?” Yunho stuttered.

 

“So it’s true.”

 

“WHAT? No!”

“But you were nervous about it just now.”

“No I wasn’t!”

 “Yes you were.”

“I was just shocked.”

 

I was shocked too, Yuri thought.

 

“You believe that?”

“You tell me.”

“No it’s not true.”

“You know, you don’t have to lie. I don’t mind really-“

“IT’S NOT TRUE!”

 

Yuri was startled. It was weird why he got so angry.

“Okay, okay. I get it. Sheesh, you don’t have to shout. If you’re not, then you’re not.”

Yunho breathed deeply, trying to calm himself down. He sat back down again. It would be bad if she thought I was gay.

“Where did you hear that?” Whoever spread that rumor is gonna get it. He clenched his fists.

Yuri hesitated before answering, “Yoona.”

“Who’s- oh that friend of yours.”

“How’d you know that?”

“I’ve seen you come into our class to see her.” Yunho said, recalling the other day.

“Don’t get mad at her. She was just guessing since she heard you weren’t really into girls.”

“Even if I hate girls, it doesn’t mean I’m gay.”

“You…hate girls?” She asked hesitantly.

“I guess.”

Yuri scoffed. “Hellooo… girl right here next to you.”

 

“You’re different.”

 

There was a small silence. Yuri stared at him. She was trying to find the meaning behind what he just said.

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

“You’re not a girl,” he laughed which earned him another slap but on the back.

“I’m serious.”

“I mean…you’re not like the other girls I know.”

“You’re saying you know a lot of girls?” There’s a possibility he’s one of those girl magnets at the age of 13.

“I’m saying you’re not so bad.”

 

A soft tingle spread throughout Yuri’s body. She doesn’t know why but neither does she care. All she knew was that feeling made her feel better. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

I think this is the perfect time to say it, Yunho thought. Something he wanted to say for a while but never found the right time to say it to her. Not to mention she always avoided him.

Yuri was absorbed in her own world. How long was she going to live with her grandpa, she wasn’t sure. Although grandpa seems healthy, but it’s not impossible that his life could be taken away just like that. And at that time, no one would care for her and she’ll be alone.

 

“Hey…”

 

Yuri looked up. Yunho was standing.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Er…”

 

“Hurry up.”

Yunho took a deep breath before words came out of his mouth.

 

“Wanna be friends?”

 

Yuri raised an eyebrow. Then she frowned.

“Friends? With you?”

“Yeah, why not?” He felt a sense of nervousness all of a sudden. E actually didn’t think about the possibility of being rejected. Even if it was just a friendship.

“Well, it’s okay if you don’t want to-“

 

“Sure.”

 

Yunho blinked his eyes a couple of times. “I thought you hated guys.”

“Well if you knew that why did you ask me to be your friend?”

“Just asking.”

“Pfft…well, since your gay and all, I don’t mind. Gay people are a lot easier to be friends with.” She said nonchalantly.

“I’m not a homo!”

“Yeah, right.” She said sarcastically.

“Fine. Like I care about what you think of me,” he lied. “Just don’t go spreading lies.”

Yuri shrugged. Yunho reached his hand for hers. “Friends?”

 

Yuri smiled. “Friends.” Then they shook hands. And that was the beginning of a new friendship.

 

 

Too bad it didn’t last very long.

 

                                                                                                              **********************

 

A/N: So I updated again and school will start next Wednesday! ARGH! Hate it so much! If only there was someone as Yunho at school then I wouldn't mind :P

I typed this when I didn't have internet yesterday and it turned out to be a bit longer than the other chapters. I think that's a good thing. Looks like this story isn't getting to the main point yet so I'm gonna speed things up a bit.

so I was wondering whether you guys can recommend a nice poster request site? I've been dying to have someone do a poster for me. comment below where you think I should request ^^

thanks for all your comments!! heart