Summer Vacation

Hard to Admit

Finally, summer vacation! Today's the day I get to meet grandpa!! I'm so excited. Patience is definitely a virtue. I've been waiting too long and now I can finally see grandpa. Since grandpa is far away from me, there's no way he could visit me here in Seoul. I get jealous everytime I see other kids parents coming to visit them on weekends. It's just so unfair. But, my wait will be over soon enough. When that bell strikes 3:00PM, I can finally say goodbye to this school for a while and see grandpa.

3

2

1...

KRRING!!!~~~

Everyone in class jumped and cheered. It's summer!!! I couldn't hide my smile any longer. I was just too happy!

"Alright class. Make sure you all finish your homework before summer vacation ends!" Mrs Choi shouted out. 

Everyone started clearing their books and packing their bags. After the teacher left, everyone rushed out. As expected, the freshmans are the most excited about summer vacation. We can all finally see our parents.

Me? My grandpa of course.

"Yuri, wanna walk with me back to the dorm?" Yesung asked me. Is he serious?

"Er, no thanks. I need to get some packing done. See you after summer vacation!" I shouted at him then left the classroom in a hurry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yuri, Seohyun and I will be going now. Don't forget to call me!" Yoona said to me. She was really early. Apparently she had packed all her stuff last night. She was in the spirit of summer. 

I was still packing some of my stuff. "Er, okay. Bye Yoona! Call me! You too Seohyun!" I shouted at them.

Actually I have no idea why Seohyun was going home with Yoona. Perhaps Seohyun is spending summer at Yoona's house? If that's the case, she's really wasting her summer because she's not spending it with her parents. Or maybe it's just for a while then she might go to her parents house. She should spend time with her parents while she still has them.

Come to think of it, I never asked about Seohyun and her family. I've always been talking to Yoona about it. Well, at least she's been telling me about her parents. She asked me about my parents too but I never answered her. Although it's been about 6 months already, but I'm still not ready to tell her about my mom and my evil dad. She'll know sooner or later. The truth will always unfold. And Seohyun, I've tried to have conversations with her but she either answers with one word or doesn't answer at all. That's why I think asking about her family will just be the same thing. She might not answer me.

Maybe next time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Grandpa!! I'm back!!!" I shouted to grandpa right after opening the door to the village house.

"Yuri!! You're finally here!" He shouted back at me.

I ran to him then he picked me up. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he hugged me back. Oh, I miss him so dearly! He spun me around and we were both laughing cheerfully. I'm glad he's happy to see me as much as I am happy to see him again after 6 months. The academy's rules were a lot stricter than I thought.

The long train ride was definitely worth it. I had to take a train from Seoul all the way to grandpa's house in Chincheon (about 5 hours). I should have arrived a bit sooner but considering I took the train at 5PM, here I arrive at grandpa's house at 10PM and I'm totally exhausted.

"Here, let me help you get your stuff," Grandpa offered but I declined. I didn't want him to do work much because well, he's old. Though he seems a lot more healthier than the last time I saw him.

I was so happy to see my room. It was still the same as before. Nothing has changed. After unpacking my things, grandpa offered me some snacks before going to bed. 

"We'll have a long chat tomorrow but right now, you had better get some shut eye," He told me. I couldn't agree more. I was too exhausted from the train ride.

I crawled to bed and in a blink of an eye, I fell into a deep sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Yes, thank you, please come again."

It's been 2 weeks since summer vacation started. I've been really happy spending my time just being with grandpa. Although, grandpa doesn't look like he's doing too well lately, so I've been helping him a lot around the house and the farm. Not to mention, here at the market. Before I would help my grandpa sell fish at the market, but since his health isn't too good, I've insisted on doing it myself. But, no worries, I got Auntie Lin to help too.

"Money doesn't grow on trees" That's what my evil father told me before he left my mother. I should have known he was the Scrooge type. Money, money, money. You could've easily mistaken him for Mr Krabs. He's always been telling me to work hard, get a job, then get money. At first, I thought he was saying that so I could help our family with finacial problems but it's just his own greed.

Uggh. Why am I even thinking about dad?

"You should come by work tomorrow. I'll handle it." Auntie Lin said to me.

"Why?" I'm not even that worked up yet!

"You've helped me too much already, Yuri. Litlle girls like you should play, not try to be a grown up and work here in the market. Now, run along." Auntie Lin smiled. "It's a nice day."

"But I-" I can't just slack off in the middle of work.

"Like I said, you've worked hard. Just for today, let me handle it." She must know how much I love to work. 

Well, I don't love it, but I guess I'm determined. I need to help out my grandpa somehow.

In the end I agreed.

I was exiting the market and heading off to grandpa's house. Not many cars around here so it's pretty much safe. Usually there aren't many people who go through this path. Actually, usually I go home alone using this path. But now, there's another perso that's using it. I don't know why, but I had a feeling that I should go talk to that person. He's walking along a path to a dead end.

"Um excuse me. May I ask where are you going?"

When he turned around I was a bit shocked. Okay, not a bit. EXTREMELY SHOCKED. He was too. I'm not the only one.

"What are you doing here, Jung Yunho?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So that's the story. I didn't expect to see you here either." Yunho said.

I nodded. Actually I wasn't expecting him to tell me why he was here. I thought he was the quiet type but he's okay, I guess.

Apparently, the guy was travelling by himself and from the looks of it, he likes to travel. He's been at a few places already and my village is his 4th stop. But for a 13 year old boy, he's pretty brave travelling by himself. I wonder why he's not here with his parents. I asked him why he liked travelling, but he simply answered that he just doesn't like to be home alone. I'll bet he has a huge house and his parents are too busy for him so he's probably all alone. Just a hunch. But then, why spend your summer at villages? Lost, maybe? If he is I totally feel like laughing! Shouldn't he be like having fun at a theme park or something? Maybe he's like me. 

Prefer to be alone, I guess.

"So, er..where are you staying?" Sometimes I forget that he's the boy who loves himself. Oh, and arrogant. But I just wanted to know.

"I'll find a hotel somewhere." He simply answered.

Are you kidding me? A hotel? Here?

"Sorry to pop your bubbles but you won't find a hotel here. A homestay, yes." I giggled. If he's joking then I'm laughing. 

"No hotel? Are you serious?"

"This IS a village. Did you get lost here or something?"

"N-no, I-" Then he became quiet.

"Admit it. You're lost aren't you?" I smirked at him. And here I thought he was awesome travelling by himself.

"NO! I'm er..."

"I don't even want to listen. So, no place to stay huh?" I pity the boy.

"This place can't be that old school. In some villages there's still a hotel somewhere. Where is this from? The 15th century?"

Oh, that done it.

"If you don't like it here, then go find your 5 star hotel. The nearest city is like 5 miles from here so go!" I'm holding my anger. If I wasn't calm enough then I would have snapped his head from his body. Don't talk about my village that way!

"Hey, calm down I was kidding. So, I have only one option."

I raised my eyebrows. "And what might that be?" 

He took a deep breath then said ever so calmly "I'll stay at your house."

"......"
 

WHAT???

"Stay at my house? What makes you think I'll agree to that?" There's no way grandpa would like this! And me neither. This arrogant airhead isn't staying anywhere at my house!

"Are you even human? You're going to leave me here just like that?"

"Go find yourslef a hotel. Just not my house!"

"For your info, my wallet got lost. And you're not sympathizing me?"

Well, I am. Heck, I would get desperate too if my wallet went missing. But, what would grandpa say about this? I've never brought a friend to his house let alone a stranger! 

Yes, he is a stranger. I barely know him. Plus he's a BOY.

"Fine."

And that's when he smiled. Actually, it's the first time I've seen him smile. He actually looks hands- wait, what am I thinking?

"On one condition." My time to smile. An evil smile that is.

And that's when his smile disappeared. He shuld just go with it. He's desperate isn't he?

"Fine. What's your condition?"

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N last update. wait for me in two more weeks! gotta go back to school!

comments and subscribers are loved. And cherished!!!

sorry if it aint that good. i can't really describe a story well!