Sick

Snatches and Snippets

Summary: Yunho was sick.

This is actually inspired by the Ocean BTS gif. But I can't seem to find that gif. Urgh.

 

A chirp from the phone signaled the arrival of a new text message. The lump on the bed rolled over to his bedside table, effectively cocooning himself within the white sheets. The figure struggled in futile as he tried to free his hands bounded tightly to his torso. Sighing in exasperation, Yunho rolled back to his previous spot to unravel the white sheets and crawled to the beeping device.

Are you feeling okay?

Yunho read the text message in surprise. Was he really a psychic, Yunho thought. Brows knitted in concentration, he typed out his reply.

How did you know­­-

Before Yunho could hit send, another text message arrived.

More than one fan had shared me a link to a certain gif involving you, Japan and cold water.

Yunho sighed as he erased his reply, seeing that it was redundant. It sometimes scares him how they can read each other thoughts so easily.

Are you asleep now?  And Yunho laughed at the silliness of Jaejoong. Only he would send such text messages. What was his other half thinking when he sent that text! Giving up on typing his reply, Yunho rang the other man immediately.

Jaejoong was shocked when his phone started to ring, almost dropping the device. A glance on the screen showed that it was Yunho who was calling him.

“Aren’t you asleep?”

“No annyeonghaseyo eh, Jaejoongie?”

“Why didn’t you reply my texts if you weren’t asleep?” Jaejoong pouted.

“I was trying to! A reply would have been sent if somebody wasn’t busy spamming me texts and concluding that I was asleep.”

“But I thought attending those speed texting lessons had helped you improve your texting skills!” Pulling the phone away from his ear, Yunho stared at it in aghast. Yup, this is Jaejoong speaking alright. Only his brain can churn out such logical responses. Before Yunho could reply, his nose twitched in anticipation of a particular hard sneeze. And sneezed he did.

“Ouch, Yunho yah, that was nasty! Have you taken your meds?”

“I’ve taken them in the morning.” Yunho’s nasal voice sounded even worse as he rubbed his nose.

“How about food wise?”

“Do Changmin’s rice in water count?” The leader complained. That imp had just dumped rice in boiling water and told him that since he was sick, he was to eat as bland as possible while he enjoyed a huge bowl of ramyun. The devious smirk he sent to Yunho while slurping his ramyun noisily had sent the sick man back to his bedroom, watery rice untouched.

“I knew it!” Jaejoong shouted into his phone before he started mumbling to himself. Yunho was unable to discern what the lead singer was talking about for the shuffling of plastic bags had muffled Jaejoong’s mumbling.

“Can you open the door now?” The voice on the other end broke Yunho’s reverie.

“Huh?” Was the intelligent response.

“Open the door!” The confused patient scratched his head but walked towards the door anyway.

“But why!”

“Jung Yunho, just open the damn door!”

Yunho held his phone an arm’s length away from his ear as Jaejoong continued to scream threats and curses into the device. His other half had such colourful vocabulary. Swinging the door open, he was surprised to see Jaejoong still speaking rapidly into the phone which was seated between his ear and shoulder.

“Oh, that was fast.” Jaejoong commented, eyes wide at the sudden opening of the door. Pushing past the gaping man, Jaejoong headed straight for the kitchen. Yunho was still standing at the front door with his mouth hung wide open when Jaejoong came out of the kitchen. He shook his head exasperatedly and approached the dumbfounded man. The raven haired pushed Yunho’s chin up to close his mouth and closed the door, pulling the mute man into the kitchen.

Once seated at the dining table, Yunho brandished a finger in front of Jaejoong.

“You…. Here….. Door….” Yunho garbled as his finger shifted from Jaejoong’s face to the door and back to Jaejoong’s face. He shrieked in pain when Jaejoong bit his finger mischievously. Yunho immediately brought his injured finger in front of him to check at the teeth imprints when a cool hand landed on his forehead. Lifting his head up, he saw Jaejoong had his other palm on his forehead to compare the temperature. The tan man chuckled, or more like hackled with his cough, as Jaejoong frown deepens.

“I have a thermometer, you know,” Yunho supplied helpfully.

“Shhh,” Jaejoong shushed as he pushed Yunho’s head back in annoyance.

“Why didn’t you open the door yourself? The pin is still the same, you know” Yunho asked as he rubbed his forehead.

If Jaejoong was surprised that the pin was unchanged, Yunho would not have known as the other had a face of nonchalance.

“My hands were full!”

Yunho’s attention immediately zeroed to the plastic bags adorning the kitchen counter top.

“I figured Changmin giftedness does not extend into the kitchen, and I don’t want your starving face to haunt me, so yeah… You don’t mind jjuk, do you?” Jaejoong hummed as he started to dig out the necessary pans and pots.

“Yucks! Rice in water again?” Yunho whined. The horror of his breakfast had not subsided at all. In fact, he was certain that he will never forget that terrifying experience again!

“You did not just compare my jjuk with Changmins’s!” Jaejoong spat as he waved the knife dangerously in the air. Yunho eyed the knife carefully. Despite Jaejoong being a wondrous cook, the man was still clumsy and if the knife were to slip from his hands…

Yunho zipped his mouth and attempted to lock his zipped lips with a lock. After he threw the imaginary key away, Jaejoong was more or less appeased as he continued to prepare the ingredients for the jjuk. From his place at the dining table, Yunho had a clear view of Jaejoong’s back profile. How many times had he seen the same back at the exact same spot, busy whipping healing food when one of them fell sick. Or that trembling profile when Jaejoong had his back towards him in an attempt to hide his tears when he found out about his adoption. That same back that Jaejoong had lent him many times when he was feeling vulnerable or overwhelmed by his never ending leader responsibilities had provided him with so much strength and comfort. Seeing the same man busying himself in his once proclaimed territory brought so much nostalgia that before Yunho realized, his eyes were misted in tears. He wiped the willful tears away with his sleeves, putting the blame of his uncontrollable emotions to the bug dancing in his head.

“Why did you come?” Yunho whispered softly. It sounded like a simple question, but it carried a thousand meanings behind it. Jaejoong paused midway in his stirring of his food. It was on impulse when he headed straight to the supermarket when he knew Yunho was sick. And that adrenaline had lasted until he stood right in front of the door. Cold feet, Jaejoong realized, was what stopped him from punching the code. Was he afraid of the disappointment if the code had changed, or was he even more afraid if the code remained, Jaejoong had no idea. When he had decided to leave the place, the passing adrenaline leaving him tired physically and mentally, Yunho rang him.

Work of fate, Jaejoong resigned as he decided to pull through his initial plan.

“Wouldn’t want Omonim to hear of her sick son, would you?” Jaejoong answered as he placed the lid back on the pot, letting the broth simmer.

Yunho knows a distraction when he hears one. And despite rational side of him wanting to know the answer to the previous question, it lost.

“Aren’t you my omma?” Yunho played along, with a slight quirk on his lips.

Making a show of digging his ears, Jaejoong asked Yunho to repeat what he had just said. And Yunho, being the dutiful son, repeated the sentence word for word.

“Did you just refer me as a woman?” Jaejoong pressed again. Yunho nodded, mouth full of the herbal tea Jaejoong had made for him.

The lead singer pulled his smartphone out of his pocket, pressed a few keys and held the phone to his ear.

“Changmin-ah, I’m cooking jjuk now. Come over now and maybe I’ll cook fried chicken and japchae too. … Coming over right now? … Yes, yes. Japchae…. Okay, see you soon.” Jaejoong ended the call and placed it on the countertop. Feeling a pair of eyes fixated on him, Jaejoong twirled around victoriously.

“Yes, Yunho-yah?”

“Jaejoongie, how can you do this to me?” Yunho pouted, arms crossed in front of his chest.

“Yunho, I don’t think the cute card will work on me now.”

“Why! It worked before!” Yunho argued, remembering that one time Jaejoong finally relented after his display of aegyo.

“You have snot running down your face, Yunho-yah,” Jaejoong smiled. A sick Yunho is a childish Yunho.

Yunho ran his hand over his face and grimaced when he felt the sticky fluid on his face. Jaejoong threw a napkin into the pouting man’s face and took out more ingredients from the fridge.

“Omma~~~~~”

Jaejoong whipped his head back immediately. Eyes darting between his phone on the counter top and Yunho, Jaejoong inched slowly towards the counter top. Yunho mirrored his actions as he too approached the counter top. It was silent as both parties try to pre-empt each other’s actions. And if one needed more evidence of the chemistry between the two eldest, this would not have been a better piece. The two guys struck at the same time.

Yunho eye’s gleamed in victory as his fingers neared the electronic device. But his smirk soon turned into a pout as Jaejoong swiped it off his grasp. In normal times, Yunho would definitely been able to snatch the phone as his reflexes were proven to be faster than the lead singer. But the flu bug had annoyingly affected his motor abilities, resulting in him grasping thin air.

With an air of superiority, Jaejoong speed dialed Junsu.

“Junsu-ah, I’m cooking fried chicken now- Yes, the- Junsu, stop screaming! I’m at the dorm- Yes, you can bring Yoochun along- Stop screamingggggggggggg!” Jaejoong screamed into the phone as he finally ended the call.

Yunho was unperturbed by Jaejoong’s actions. Talking to Junsu can be tedious at times, especially when the conversation revolves around chicken. Wait, did Jaejoongie just mentioned Junsu and chicken? Yunho realized in alarm.

“Jaejoongieeeeeeeeee!” His complaint echoed through the apartment.